out of AP Top 25 for first time in 2 years

aubiefifty

247sports.com

Auburn tumbles out of AP Top 25 for first time in 2 years

ByNathan King

Auburn has tumbled all the way out of the AP Top 25 following its 30-22 loss to South Carolina. Gus Malzahn's squad will play as an unranked team for the first time since 2018.

The last time Auburn fell out of the Top 25 after a loss was following its home loss to Tennessee that same season. The Tigers received the fifth-most votes of the unranked teams this week, putting them technically at No. 30 in the country.

Earlier on Sunday, Auburn dropped out of the coaches poll, as well, after holding the No. 14 slot last week.

Ranked No. 15 before losing to the Gamecocks, Auburn began the 2020 season at No. 11 and climbed as high as No. 7 before losing at Georgia. Auburn has been ranked in the AP top 10 at least once in each Malzahn's eight years but hasn't stayed there for more than four consecutive games since the 2014 season.

ESPN's SP+ analytics saw Auburn slide from No. 14 to No. 26 after losing to the Gamecocks. According to the predictive metric, Auburn's most likely regular-season outcome this year is 5-5.

The Tigers look to avoid hitting a losing record at the midway point of the season this coming Saturday when they travel to Oxford to face Ole Miss. ESPN FPI gives Auburn a 74.7% chance to win. 

• WarTiger changed the title to out of AP Top 25 for first time in 2 years

Best get used to it.

This program is like a kids Tonka truck rolling down hill. Last year's Bama game was the equivalent of it hitting a ditch in the dirt on it's descent. It slowed it momentarily, then about a month later it continues southward.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Should read "Auburn is already out of the AP Top 25 for the 2nd time in less than 3 years".

Year 8.

BUT WHO ELSE WOULD DO BETTERRRRR THE MONEYYYYY

3 hours ago, woodford said:

Let’s get real, has this team been/played like a top 25 since 2017? Once or twice? Oregon and Iron Bowl?

Inexplicably the first game every year lately. We're practically back to back PAC-12 champions 

Does anyone really think we will end the season unranked?  Or should I say does everybody?

i say it all depends on Saturday at Oxford. 

Win the game and I’m pretty sure we will finish ranked.

We loose, the season is over and we might go winless the rest of the year.  

Those are just gut feelings based on zero evidence whatsoever.  

5 minutes ago, tdburger said:

Does anybody really care anymore?

I hope the answer most fans would respond with is a simple ....Yes

1 hour ago, Amwest20 said:

Does anyone really think we will end the season unranked?  Or should I say does everybody?

Even if we manage to win Saturday, where are all these other wins coming from that you think puts us in the top 25?

Since 2014? Goodness gracious lol 

we're still incredibly liable to get embarrassed by LSU and Alabama lol. There's G5 teams that deserve to be ranked more than we do right now 

I hope the answer most fans would respond with is a simple ....Yes

The season is a failure.

National Title Game: No

Playoffs: No

Conference Champions: No

SEC West Championship: No

Would I spend money to watch Gus coach another bowl game?: No

7 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

Even if we manage to win Saturday, where are all these other wins coming from that you think puts us in the top 25?

I like our chances of all remaining games except Bama. Take a look at ESPN FPI projections.... I understand they mean nothing, but there is some sort of mathematical equation used there.  

If we loose to ole miss, we’re done. 

9 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

Top 25?

Top 5 salary/Top 10 recruiting classes.  Due to the depths this staff has taken this team, here we are in yr 8 trying to find a way to end the season inside the top 25. 😒 

8 minutes ago, keesler said:

Top 25?

Top 5 salary/Top 10 recruiting classes.  Due to the depths this staff has taken this team, here we are in yr 8 trying to find a way to end the season inside the top 25. 😒 

And one of the P5 conferences isn't even playing football. PAC-12's usually good for at least 2 or 3 ranked teams. 

3 hours ago, keesler said:

Top 25?

My thoughts exactly. Top 25 should be a given. We should be talking about our team in the mix for loftier prizes than a top 25 finish. We should be in the top 15 in down years.

Archived