Are the stars lining up?

Beaker

Disclaimer: there is only 3, maybe 4 people who wish we had a different HC more than I.  

I am an optimistic person by nature, but a few things jump out at me:

• Auburn has become less and less predictable as this season has gone along.  This is not typical Gus.
  • The OL dominated a decent LSU DL after getting whipped by the likes of USC-e and other units..  Bicknell?  Improvement is obvious - what gives, how did that happen on the heels of losing our most versatile lineman?  I was floored.
  • The DL got some push and there were some absolute plays made vs LSU that were incredible:  Tutt racing in for the scoop and score, O Pappoe running down that QB after chasing for 20-30 yds, 3 men catching the batted ball, how many TFLs?  Bunches!
  • Bo connected with A Schwartz for a long pass!  How did that happen all of a sudden?  
  • Bo was not looking at Seth 17 times in a row.
  • The TEs played and caught passes, while wearing an Auburn uniform!  I rewatched the game - it really happened.

No joke, I know the Spring ball really made things tough installing a new O.  Also, players were missing here and there in Aug and Sep due to the c virus, but geez, the last 2 weeks we really showed crazy improvement.  

Questions- "and I will hang up and listen."

1.  Anyone recall such a turnaround from an OL (from Auburn) in recent history?  

2.  Even when Gus beats bama, we don't do it with such unpredictable play calling.  Am I just enamored, or  were we really unpredictable? 

3.  Auburn really looks competitive and  looks to be a threat to win 3 or 4 of our last games, if we say healthy.  Can Auburn win out?

Musings..

I suspect if Gus will stay out of the way, we will be fine.  Is Gus really Gus?  Maybe that fella is a body double.  This is like the movie Dave, perhaps.  I liked Dave the movie and I really like this Auburn team in the same way - they got better as they year went along. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Um ..... LSU lost to Miss State and Mizery, and you are basing a magical turnaround on beating LSU?

Um ..... ok.

Let’s wait till we play quality teams

1. I believe the o line generally got a bad rep from the start. Except for the UGA game, I thought they were more than productive . Unproductive play from other specific players was being overlooked more often IMO.

2. I think you are a prisoner of the moment. We beat ole miss and LSU. I am very happy about the LSU victory but they aren’t nearly as good as last year . Again let’s wait until quality opponents. 

3. Auburn has the talent to win out. They also had the talent to compete with UGA. I hate victories like LSU because unfortunately it leaves a not so accurate perspective. 

I think LSU's front 7 is very stout really, they were the best at pass rushing in the conf. However, and I guess you could think of this as a reverse of our usual issue, they suck at run defense. I do think we do alot more things nowadays to make our OL's life easier in run blocking than they had it, but I also don't believe run blocking was the issue for us from the jump (in comparison anyway) 

Short Answer: No

Long Answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Seriously though, not much can be derived from the LSU game. They aren't the same as the 2019 team, and 2020 is essentially a rebuilding year.  They are a young team still trying to find leadership, and lack of player leadership showed in the 2nd half, where they kind of gave up. 

My FiL had the same sentiment so let's just talk about Lsu vs the pass. Miss St passed for over 600 yards on Lsu. Mizzou passed for 400.  Auburn for 300. That by itself should be all a coach needs to say if we have a QB who can pass that's what we're going to attack. Auburn's gameplan was outstanding and I loved seeing a balanced-ish attack 300 pass and 200 rush. Lsu's W's are Vandy and Carolina with Carolina being the 'quality' win, a team which Auburn lost to. Auburn beat a swiss cheese Lsu D. I'm glad for the W but other than a great confidence builder for the players I have trouble celebrating it more than that. 

AU should beat MSU. If AU spanks Tennessee then I'll say it's a slight possibility because that would indicate that they are getting better.

Be honest with yourself, do you think Bo Nix will walk into BDS and put on a show? He will have to play the game of his life to win on the road. 

Anything is possible. If Bama turns the ball over 2+ times then Auburn has a shot, but I wouldn't bet on that happening in back to back years. They've been watching film on Auburn once the Georgia game was over. We all know it. I'm not falling for it. It's going to be a very tall task to beat Bama in Tuscaloosa. This roster can't do it.

Auburn does look to be getting better as the season rolls along and that is what we want to see from our team. But i would also caution about getting too high on the LSU win. It was a great win and it turned into a blowout but i did not feel like we dominated that game. It was very close with LSU maybe even outplaying Auburn for the first quarter and half until those turnovers did them in. Or defense scored 1 touchdown and set up the offense for 2 more very short fields off turnovers.  After the quick 2 touchdowns to start the second half LSU was done and the game blew open. 

I will say that 99 yard drive right before the second half was one hell of a drive. That is something from the game that does give me some hope that this team can actually be pretty good. I also liked that we blitz a bit more to get pressure on the LSU QB. Smart move with a young one back there. But that is a dangerous way to live. We had a little luck to beat ol miss and then some good breaks went our way and we looked good against a not so great LSU team. I'm happy we will likely not have a losing record but i am not ready to feel confident about any of the remaining games. 

I’ve been sunshine pumping as much as anyone but one game does not make a season.  LSU felt great but the next 2 games will be telling.  Moo State has a garbage offense but a pretty good D.  If the Oline plays as well against them as they did LSU then I’ll start getting excited.  Tennessee has a good Oline so it’ll be interesting to see if the Dline gets as much push against them.  The Defense was the star against LSU IMO.

Plenty of reasons to be optimistic. Reason to be apprehensive as well. We could not have been any better in this game. I’m leaning more to optimistic. 

Yes it's lining up that we are playing the weak teams on the schedule

I really can't believe how so many are making such a sign of hope on that one long pass. It was a busted play. A 15 year old QB/wr tandem makes that play every single time. But I guess that just speaks to how bad we had fallen. 

During this year of rollercoasters on and off the field, I like how we are trending

For those thinking, "tap the brakes and let's see how the next two games go,"  - Tenn and Miss State?   I dare say LSU and OM were better from what I have seen on this 4th day of Nov.  Also, Gus  historically has his team ready to play coming off a break.  I suspect we intentionally try to play vanilla the next weeks.  

I contend the stars are lining up for some great football in games 9 and 10.           3 games ago, I would have traded this offensive staff for a bag of beans.  

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

During this year of rollercoasters on and off the field, I like how we are trending

For those thinking, "tap the brakes and let's see how the next two games go,"  - Tenn and Miss State?   I dare say LSU and OM were better from what I have seen on this 4th day of Nov.  Also, Gus  historically has his team ready to play coming off a break.  I suspect we intentionally try to play vanilla the next weeks.  

I contend the stars are lining up for some great football in games 9 and 10.           3 games ago, I would have traded this offensive staff for a bag of beans.  

You're right about the teams coming up. They suck too. The posts that are coming because we flipped the switch and we are now AMAZING on offense is going to be hilarious and we'll be right back in the circle of Gus. 

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Man you are running the risk of getting bashed for sure! 

Oh and this is hilarious as well because over the next few weeks when the bashing really starts because some people will actually realize we are doing the same thing we always do......

You won't here a peep from all the guys that like to come and play mediator and say things like.....I don't think anybody was saying......or the I'll never root against my coach, or the I'm not going to blame this guy (but I sure as hell will blame that guy) 😂

47 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I suspect we intentionally try to play vanilla the next weeks.  

Gus better not 'Go Vanilla' on the vols. I believe Pruitt will have his boys ready to play that game. He hates Auburn and a W in that game would go a long way in making his and Tennessee's season. And remember that too much vanilla is bitter. That's just my thought this morning. 

2 minutes ago, cctiger said:

I don't think that the LSU game was an "Aquarius moment"...🙄

2/3 of posters picked Auburn to lose to LSU. Then it was a blow out win. Now it’s being down played because LSU sucks.....we are allowed some optimism..

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

You're right about the teams coming up. They suck too. The posts that are coming because we flipped the switch and we are now AMAZING on offense is going to be hilarious and we'll be right back in the circle of Gus. 

Curious how many other SEC games do you dissect... not just watch, but actually go over like you do the Auburn games.

I don't usually do it at all with other teams, but looking over some this year, it seems like 'suck' applies to most of the SEC. AU can suck this year and be one of the top 4 teams in conference, if not 3rd. 

9 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Curious how many other SEC games do you dissect... not just watch, but actually go over like you do the Auburn games.

I don't usually do it at all with other teams, but looking over some this year, it seems like 'suck' applies to most of the SEC. AU can suck this year and be one of the top 4 teams in conference, if not 3rd. 

Yes that's my point. We usually only have to show up for around 3 games. We win one of those and people feel like we've turned the corner.....But reality is we're the same that we've usually been. Gus just worked his magic

23 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

I just saw your signature for the first time...  Nice.

I would rrrrreeeeeeaaaaaallllly pump the breaks. We looked great against a horrible team. Previously we looked horrible against horrible teams, so that appears to be progress. I would definitely NOT get excited about the future however. Just take it one game at a time. Like others have pointed out, most of the SEC sucks this year. We got crushed by GA and will more than likely get crushed by AL. This season is an outlier for multiple reasons

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I just saw your signature for the first time...  Nice.

I've had to cull it over time.

Mikey dropped a jewel years ago that I used....

But it was likely to derail any discussion whenever I'd pop in and people saw it :lol: 

Just now, Mims44 said:

I've had to cull it over time.

Mikey dropped a jewel years ago that I used....

But it was likely to derail any discussion whenever I'd pop in and people saw it :lol: 

That is why I have always stuck with Michael Scott.  His words of wisdom are Biblical.

Archived