Student Loan forgiveness. Yay or nay?

Grumps

It's problematic on a moral/ethical basis.  Here's a good write up:    https://www.ethicssage.com/2019/07/the-ethics-of-forgiving-student-debt.html

On the other hand, there's a moral/ethical risk to other things we don't seem to have much problem with, such as financial bailouts for Wall Street companies.

I do think there's a need to provide some relief - forbearance - based on the covid 19 pandemic.

Here's an interesting piece on the causes of excessive student debt:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/18/upshot/student-debt-forgiveness-biden.html

".......The American higher education system is a gigantic debt-producing machine with no one at the controls. Any student attending almost any accredited college can take out a federal loan, and the federal government does not regulate what colleges can charge for tuition......"

"........The parts of the higher education system that produce the most debt — private, graduate and professional schools — have greatly increased tuition in recent decades. Some online master’s degree programs — a lucrative and fast-growing sector that returns 50 percent profit margins to universities and their corporate partners — charge $50,000 or more in annual tuition. How much will they charge if they can effectively promise that the first $10,000 or more will be free?

"There are powerful arguments to forgive some outstanding debt. But debt forgiveness alone would be like treating a contaminated river without stopping the source of the pollution. Truly resolving the student debt problem will require tackling many other parts of the machinery of higher education........."

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

But debt forgiveness alone would be like treating a contaminated river without stopping the source of the pollution. Truly resolving the student debt problem will require tackling many other parts of the machinery of higher education

This is compelling and it's a discussion that hopefully the decisions makers have been already having for a long time. 

Is it fair to Sally and Joe who incurred $200,000 in debt, paid it off, and now see other students the recipient of loan forgiveness?

This, from the previous article, is soooooo stupid and selfish. (ESPECIALLY if Sally and Joe have kids.) "Fairness" has nothing to do with it unless there is a tangible cost to the supposedly aggrieved parties.

Now, if taxes go up for folks who paid off their own loans so that they can pay for Mr. and Ms. Millennial's loans, too, then that's a conversation. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

This is compelling and it's a discussion that hopefully the decisions makers have been already having for a long time. 

This, from the previous article, is soooooo stupid and selfish. (ESPECIALLY if Sally and Joe have kids.) "Fairness" has nothing to do with it unless there is a tangible cost to the supposedly aggrieved parties.

Now, if taxes go up for folks who paid off their own loans so that they can pay for Mr. and Ms. Millennial's loans, too, then that's a conversation. 

if people were not selfish we would have had way less covid deaths by wearing masks. i understand somethink they do not work but my gut feeling is they just do not give a damn period.

Nope.  They are called loans, not grants.  People signed the paperwork knowing exactly what they were getting into.  Also, the money to wipe away this debt doesn't just come from thin air.  If we're going to spend money, use it to take care of the root problem.  Wiping away student loans is a band aid that does nothing to address the issue of rising educational costs.

Use that money instead to fund things like free or reduced technical/community college.  Encourage kids to explore their options outside of a four year degree and realize that so many well paying jobs don't need the "classic" degree.  Just doing that should force traditional four year schools to lower costs as demand for the product should drop over time.

I would be in favor of some sort of one-time debt relief package that is means-based, but it need to be tied to something that's corrective for the out of control cost of a college education.  Brad's idea of funding free/reduced cost technical and trade schools, community colleges and such might be one mechanism for that.  There might also be some things the federal gov't can do to colleges in terms of administrative cost benchmarks if they are going to be eligible to receive federal student loan money.

There could also be some extra monetary incentive for certain career fields such as teachers or doctors.  If they agree to work in an underserved community for a certain number of years after graduation - an inner city school, a rural hospital, etc. - they can get more loan forgiveness.

6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

People signed the paperwork knowing exactly what they were getting into.

Yeah, but

6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Encourage kids to explore their options outside of a four year degree and realize that so many well paying jobs don't need the "classic" degree.

this. I can't speak for everyone, but I was raised- by my parents and by the society around us- to believe that going to college was 100% the goal, period, and that I needed to do whatever it took to make it happen. Fortunately I just made it through before tuition spiraled out of control and was able to pay off my loan debt a few years ago. (Also "helps" that I didn't do any post-graduate work. My wife makes more money than I do but she still carries a lot of student loan debt.)

Anyway, yeah, people knew what they were getting into, but they also felt like they had no choice. And with the way the economy is set up, they weren't exactly wrong. 

Cool to see some creative solutions in here. I just don't see it as an either/or thing. 

12 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Nope.  They are called loans, not grants.  People signed the paperwork knowing exactly what they were getting into.  Also, the money to wipe away this debt doesn't just come from thin air.  If we're going to spend money, use it to take care of the root problem.  Wiping away student loans is a band aid that does nothing to address the issue of rising educational costs.

Use that money instead to fund things like free or reduced technical/community college.  Encourage kids to explore their options outside of a four year degree and realize that so many well paying jobs don't need the "classic" degree.  Just doing that should force traditional four year schools to lower costs as demand for the product should drop over time.

Three issues:

1. People sign these loans when they are like 17, and they don’t really know what they are doing. Im not even sure I completely understood that I was going to have to pay anything back. 

2. The cost of tuition has skyrocketed relative to inflation. College degrees are substantially less affordable than they were 20 or so years ago. 

3. It is true that, right now, tech schools and trade schools are a better deal. College graduates often have a hard time finding decent jobs even with bachelors degrees. But, there’s expected to be a college educated labor shortage in 10-15 years (due to both industry changes and baby boomers being retired). So, in 10 years, college educated people will be at the front of the line for really good paying jobs while trade occupations offer little in terms of promotions and raises. So, directing people away from college might actually hurt them badly in the future.

I don’t think straight loan forgiveness is the answer. It is unsustainable. Are we just going to keep forgiving student loans to the end of time? What if you start college after the student loan forgiveness happens and they only do it once? They need to address the causes of student tuition hikes in order to lower tuition. Once that’s done, they could implement a partial forgiveness program so that those affected by the out of control pricing end up paying the rates they should’ve had to begin with.

Just heard an interesting point that we're going to have to stop just giving loans to anybody who wants one in order to drive down tuition. 

Basically we're creating another sub-prime crisis by giving these huge loans to people who will never be able to pay them back. 

The problem is the federal loan system. It is a system that hands colleges as much money as they ask for without any understanding of the person receiving the loan. Colleges raise tuition, feds hand over more loan money without any acknowledgement to the students standing or career path. Nice student activity center and dorms though...…

If students had to go to a private lender each year, hand over grades and desired degree you would see a whole lot less debt and an increase in the trades/2-yr degrees. Not to mention I am willing to bet you would see student success rates increase when they realize they could lose their loan.

All I understood back then was that My tuition got covered AND I got about 1.5-2k for living expenses. I almost wrote living expenses with a straight face.

1 hour ago, AUcivE09 said:

The problem is the federal loan system. It is a system that hands colleges as much money as they ask for without any understanding of the person receiving the loan. Colleges raise tuition, feds hand over more loan money without any acknowledgement to the students standing or career path. Nice student activity center and dorms though...…

If students had to go to a private lender each year, hand over grades and desired degree you would see a whole lot less debt and an increase in the trades/2-yr degrees. Not to mention I am willing to bet you would see student success rates increase when they realize they could lose their loan.

All I understood back then was that My tuition got covered AND I got about 1.5-2k for living expenses. I almost wrote living expenses with a straight face.

This. Plus like @Brad_ATXmentioned, the cost to "forgive" the debt will ultimately be on the tax payers. 

We should not be rewarding fiscal irresponsibility. Get a degree that will help you obtain a fruitful occupation or learn a trade. College is not for everyone. Some learn that fasters than others. We shouldn't be "forgiving" debt that didn't garner a degree, either. 

BTW, @TitanTigerthere's already loan forgiveness programs for certain occupations like teachers, doctors, and other public servants serving those communities. It's a good thing for those communities and the incentive for professionals may go out the window if sweeping "forgiveness" happens.

2 hours ago, AUFriction said:

Three issues:

1. People sign these loans when they are like 17, and they don’t really know what they are doing. Im not even sure I completely understood that I was going to have to pay anything back. 

2. The cost of tuition has skyrocketed relative to inflation. College degrees are substantially less affordable than they were 20 or so years ago. 

3. It is true that, right now, tech schools and trade schools are a better deal. College graduates often have a hard time finding decent jobs even with bachelors degrees. But, there’s expected to be a college educated labor shortage in 10-15 years (due to both industry changes and baby boomers being retired). So, in 10 years, college educated people will be at the front of the line for really good paying jobs while trade occupations offer little in terms of promotions and raises. So, directing people away from college might actually hurt them badly in the future.

I don’t think straight loan forgiveness is the answer. It is unsustainable. Are we just going to keep forgiving student loans to the end of time? What if you start college after the student loan forgiveness happens and they only do it once? They need to address the causes of student tuition hikes in order to lower tuition. Once that’s done, they could implement a partial forgiveness program so that those affected by the out of control pricing end up paying the rates they should’ve had to begin with.

Fair enough.  To your points:

1) Not exactly true.  A 17 year old can't just sign on for a loan.  They need a co-signer.  Also, my student loan came when I was 25 when I went back for a Master's.  Tons of student loans are for people getting graduate degrees.  Should those also be forgiven?

2) Agreed, which is why we need to fix the root problem, which is skyrocketing costs.  Wiping away loans doesn't incentive colleges to lower costs.  It actually does the opposite.

3) I'm not advocating for every student to go to a tech school.  But as someone who taught classes at AU for a while, I can 100% with certainty tell you that many kids would be better off there than at a four year college.  This may sound elitist, but college isn't for everyone.  Lots of unqualified kids in school right now, all because they can find a way to get tuition paid.  Also, although we will need college educated students moving forward, we also will always need welders, surveyors, diesel technicians, etc.  All of those gigs pay more than many jobs where four year degrees are required just for entry level positions.

I always use my cousin as an example.  He was a terrible student in primary school, but the guy is amazing with tools and his hands.  We finally got him to try technical school for one year.  He came out with multiple job offers, makes good money, and is able to take care of his two kids.

My point being, let's work to get students into the right situation that best utilizes their talents and gives them optimum chance for success.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Fair enough.  To your points:

1) Not exactly true.  A 17 year old can't just sign on for a loan.  They need a co-signer.  Also, my student loan came when I was 25 when I went back for a Master's.  Tons of student loans are for people getting graduate degrees.  Should those also be forgiven?

2) Agreed, which is why we need to fix the root problem, which is skyrocketing costs.  Wiping away loans doesn't incentive colleges to lower costs.  It actually does the opposite.

3) I'm not advocating for every student to go to a tech school.  But as someone who taught classes at AU for a while, I can 100% with certainty tell you that many kids would be better off there than at a four year college.  This may sound elitist, but college isn't for everyone.  Lots of unqualified kids in school right now, all because they can find a way to get tuition paid.  Also, although we will need college educated students moving forward, we also will always need welders, surveyors, diesel technicians, etc.  All of those gigs pay more than many jobs where four year degrees are required just for entry level positions.

I always use my cousin as an example.  He was a terrible student in primary school, but the guy is amazing with tools and his hands.  We finally got him to try technical school for one year.  He came out with multiple job offers, makes good money, and is able to take care of his two kids.

My point being, let's work to get students into the right situation that best utilizes their talents and gives them optimum chance for success.

I agree with everything you said. You did a very good job with the highlighted portion. I work with skilled laborers, technicians, small business owners, tradesmen, etc everyday who aren't college educated. They worked hard to get where they are, too. And to mention another issue at hand, many of them would be devalued, in a sense, by a national minimum wage increase to $15/hr because increases to their hourly wage would be unlikely or it'd negatively affect their small businesses.

Student loans were designed as a profit producer for the Federal Government. That created an opening for opportunistic lenders. This entire deal is toxic. Perhaps there is a no interest compromise out there. 

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

It's a good article until the end. How do you detail all of those considerable negatives and THEN conclude that it's the best approach to "magic at least some of it away"?? It would as she mentioned be public dollars. There is no magic wand. 

Also, I'd like to know the remaining debt ratio numbers after two decades for other minority groups. 

Extension of forbearance and forgiving interest on the fed loans should be the conversation, but it just doesn't move the needle enough does it? We should be concerned that we're not "treating a contaminated river without stopping the source of the pollution" like mentioned in the earlier article referenced. The sources of pollution are complex.

Virtually all known information is accessible via the internet for free. There is NO reason for college to be so expensive. Before the government pays off college loan debt they could encourage colleges to cut their costs. Work to make public college education free or really affordable.

It seems completely reckless for the government to guarantee that  private colleges get exorbitant tuition fees from people who cannot afford it.

I'd rather see the government help people with medical debt. People with large medical debts didn't voluntarily agree to incur massive amounts of debt.

Archived