China misreported and crapped on the world

I knew pretty early on that China had left the building on reporting reliable numbers.  The communist party in China is probably the only governmental group of people on earth more concerned with image and appearances than Trump.  There was no way they were ever going to let real numbers get out of there.

7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

China lied?  I'm shocked.  Shocked I say!

Lol solid sarcasm. I dont think anyone is shocked, but I do believe that China purposefully tried to save face while dropping a steamer on the rest of the world. I also think that there should be some type of repercussion for that. What that repercussion should be, I dont know. 

The death rate is much lower than expected, so that's a positive! However, the economic repercussions for pretty much everyone not named China is an issue. 

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I knew pretty early on that China had left the building on reporting reliable numbers.  The communist party in China is probably the only governmental group of people on earth more concerned with image and appearances than Trump.  There was no way they were ever going to let real numbers get out of there.

And it's only slightly funny that every action they take to cover their own butts ends up making people trust them even less. 

Just now, AUFightingSoldiers said:

And it's only slightly funny that every action they take to cover their own butts ends up making people trust them even less. 

That is the rub isn't it?  

I would love for us to somehow deal with China over this after we get our own house in order. The virus was likely going to hit our shores no matter what. The catastrophic mishandling of it since is 100% on us. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I would love for us to somehow deal with China over this after we get our own house in order. The virus was likely going to hit our shores no matter what. The catastrophic mishandling of it since is 100% on us. 

Serious question here. How do you handle things that you are not made aware of until almost 2 months after they begin? Mandatory masks and lockdowns have done nothing but push back a second lockdown in Europe and Israel. A travel ban from China, while the right move, seems to have been too late (again, purposefully misreported cases in China). The thing about sickness and disease is that the answer is ALWAYS reactive, as was this one.

15 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

Serious question here. How do you handle things that you are not made aware of until almost 2 months after they begin? 

You catch up? You try real hard? Do you propose we just throw up our hands and not do anything? Why has every other industrialized nation handled this better than us? 

The solution isn't new. Social distancing, masks, universal rapid testing. This has been known for six months and yet top leadership has failed to adequately implement or even promote any of it. 

42 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You catch up? You try real hard? Do you propose we just throw up our hands and not do anything? Why has every other industrialized nation handled this better than us? 

The solution isn't new. Social distancing, masks, universal rapid testing. This has been known for six months and yet top leadership has failed to adequately implement or even promote any of it. 

I dont propose we throw our hands up and refuse to try at all. I propose we go balls to the wall to develop a safe vaccine (check), allow for measures to protect those most at risk (some states placed them DIRECTLY in harm's way), and do this without affecting the rights of the individual. I would also add that allowing the public sector to transition in to research and helping with preventative measures would be great (which we did). Though I will say that these handmade cloth masks are barely anything more than a sense of comfortability provided that the recommended washing temperature is at least 140 degrees Fahrenheit and the common house washer usually sits around 120 on hot.  

I also despise the hypocrisy of political officials who were encouraging tourists and locals to continue to visit movie theatres, landmarks, and city areas a full month after the travel ban and then talk crap about others not taking Covid seriously. That has nothing to do with our conversation. Just wanted to make my position on that clear lol. 

On 12/1/2020 at 4:45 PM, AUFightingSoldiers said:

Serious question here. How do you handle things that you are not made aware of until almost 2 months after they begin? Mandatory masks and lockdowns have done nothing but push back a second lockdown in Europe and Israel. A travel ban from China, while the right move, seems to have been too late (again, purposefully misreported cases in China). The thing about sickness and disease is that the answer is ALWAYS reactive, as was this one.

You start handling it when you find out about it. 

But - considering who was responsible for handling it, and how it was handled as soon as we did become aware of it  - I seriously doubt another two month 'heads-up' would have mattered one iota.

12 hours ago, homersapien said:

But - considering who was responsible for handling it, and how it was handled as soon as we became aware of it  - I seriously doubt another two month 'heads-up' would have mattered one iota.

You are right Pelosi told people to go to China town because Trump was wrong about stopping people from coming in from China, DeBlasio said it was overblown and Governors of New York, New Jersey, and Massachusetts sent Covid infected people into nursing/assisted living homes. Today many months into the Pandemic Democratic leaders not looking at science and making all schools virtual while the rest of the world is sending kids to school.  Democratic leaders shutting down businesses to protect us from Covid then setting a great example by ignoring their own rules and doing what they tell us not to do.  There is plenty of blame to go around. Trump should have pushed masks and social distancing earlier, I forgot where didn't have enough masks so we had to reserve them for healthcare workers,  I also almost forgot in January China published that Virus was not passed person to person.  Under Trump we have two vaccines that are close to rolling out in record time, we had companies like auto companies create a new ventilator business to help overcome lack of ventilators.

Everybody talks about how bad Trump does and they point at number of infected and deaths and these are legitimate. Only two countries have larger populations then us China and India we know China fudges their numbers, I work with a lot of people in India and they all tell me that there are large number of people dying at home in Rural areas that are not counted as Covid deaths.  Yes we have had more deaths and cases then European countries basically because our population is much larger. When you look at deaths per million you will find we are middle of the pack.  

One thing is in our country the federal government defines standards but each state enforces the standards as they see fit so we see different standards from state to state.  That is why New York and other states in nursing homes and other states did not even though they had the same federal guidelines.

The whole world was unprepared for this there were not enough stockpiles of PPE, Ventilators, misinformation out of China, huge amounts of drug production outsourced to China and India, along with the production of PPE to China.  This lack of preparation was something that had happened over both Republican and Democratic administration over the last 20-30 years.

Trump used emergency powers to help with production of PPE and ventilators within the US, His Warp speed helped fund research in vaccines that have been created and tested in record time while still awaiting final approval. 

There is no doubt Trump could have done a better job he sent mixed messages at time and spent to much time blasting people who disagreed with him and he did not set a good example by not always wearing a mask and social distancing, sadly I can say the same about many Democratic leaders.

Just to make it clear, I have no problem with assessing specific mistakes made by both political sides at every level.  There will be more than one history written about this and I presume the good ones will take that approach.

But I am certain that lack of federal level leadership will be identified as a major failure - regardless of what this governor or that mayor did.

On 12/1/2020 at 9:50 PM, homersapien said:

But - considering who was responsible for handling it, and how it was handled as soon as we became aware of it  - I seriously doubt another two month 'heads-up' would have mattered one iota.

Our dear leader slashing CDC staff in China and gutting a key pandemic predicting agency sure didn’t help. 😕

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

Our dear leader slashing CDC staff in China and gutting a key pandemic predicting agency sure didn’t help. 😕

But they were all part of the "hoax".  <_<

Has any Health Organization, WHO or any country's HO been allowed to look into and report on the issue that came out of China? If the answer is no. Why? 

Could you imagine if countries or individuals could sue China based on lost economic fortunes how much China would owe? 

https://news.yahoo.com/face-grim-jobs-report-biden-181247215.html

Biden predicts 'bleak future' if Congress doesn't act on aid

WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) — President-elect Joe Biden is predicting a “bleak future” if Congress doesn't take speedy action on a coronavirus aid bill amid a nationwide spike in the virus that's hampering the country's economic recovery.

He also expressed concern that so far he’s seen “no detailed plan” from the Trump administration on how to distribute an approved coronavirus vaccine, but said he and his team are working on their own proposal to fill in the gaps.

Biden delivered remarks Friday afternoon reacting to November's national jobs report, which showed a sharp decrease in U.S. hiring even as the country is about 10 million jobs below pre-pandemic levels. The Democrat called the report “dire” and said it “shows the economy is stalling," but he said quick action from Congress can halt some of the damage.

“If we act now — I mean now — we can begin to regain momentum and start to build back a better future,” he said. “There’s no time to lose.”

Surging cases of the virus have led states and municipalities to roll back their reopening plans. And more restrictions may be on the way as lower temperatures and holiday travel lead to records for confirmed cases and deaths. Biden has said that while he doesn't support a nationwide lockdown, he plans to ask Americans to commit to 100 days of mask-wearing to help combat the virus as one of his first acts as president.

But one of his major challenges in turning the tide of the coronavirus pandemic will be distributing a vaccine. While the Trump administration has undertaken some planning around vaccine distribution, Biden said Friday that their proposal lacks significant details.

“There is no detailed plan — that we’ve seen, anyway — as to how you get a vaccine out of a container, into an injection syringe, into someone’s arm,” he said.

The president-elect said that while his team agrees with some of the priorities the Trump administration has laid out in its vaccine distribution plan, more work needs to be done.

One of the major questions, Biden added, is how to get the vaccine to minority communities, which are disproportionately affected by the virus. He is working on an “overall plan,” and he asked government infectious-disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci to be part of his COVID-19 team to help with that planning. Biden said the distribution alone was a “very expensive proposition.”

That's part of the reason the president-elect has issued calls for Congress to take action on a coronavirus relief bill now.

While he's thrown his support behind a bipartisan economic relief bill of about $900 billion, Biden has called it just a “down payment” and has said much more will be needed once he takes office next year.

On Friday, he said he and his team have been consulting with labor leaders, CEOs, mayors and governors in crafting their own coronavirus aid bill, which will be his first legislative priority as president.

“The fight against COVID won't be won in January alone,” he said.

Biden expressed optimism that he'll be able to cut a deal with Republicans when he takes office, but he's certain to face a heavy lift in navigating any bill through a closely divided Senate. Democrats and Republicans have been deadlocked on a coronavirus aid bill for months, with Republicans opposed to a previous, more expensive bill that passed the House.

Biden said Friday that he plans to ask Congress for funding for expanded testing, vaccine distribution, jobless aid and help for those at risk of eviction. He said it will be important to work together with Congress to pass additional aid because “the country's going to be in dire, dire, dire straits if they don't."

He also cited his long-standing relationship with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., as evidence for his optimism.

"He knows me," Biden said. “He knows I’m as straight as an arrow when I negotiate. He knows I keep commitments and never try to embarrass the opposition.”

The coronavirus pandemic will affect more than just Biden's legislative focus when he takes office. He said Friday that it's also certain to affect his Jan. 20 inauguration and that public health concerns mean he'll have to skip some of the traditional festivities that go along with the event.

He said there likely won't be “a gigantic inaugural parade" down Pennsylvania Avenue or “a million people on the Mall” to watch his swearing-in. He predicted it would look more like the Democratic National Convention, which was largely virtual and broadcast on television and online.

“First and foremost in my objective is to keep America safe, but still allow people to celebrate,” Biden said. “To celebrate and see one another celebrating.”

Archived