Auburn Vs. Thompson 7A Title Game

Tigerpro2a

Did any of you see this? Was Gus coaching Auburn High? They were leading 28-19 with under 2 minutes left and they had the ball near Thompson 20. They took knees backing up to nearly midfield until they had to punt. See the rest in the video. My My.

Amazing the way coaches find new and incredible ways to make their teams lose. Sucks for the kids at Auburn. But serves em right for trying to not play the last 2 mins of the game. 

11 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Amazing the way coaches find new and incredible ways to make their teams lose. Sucks for the kids at Auburn. But serves em right for trying to not play the last 2 mins of the game. 

I mean they could have ran the ball 4 times and either gotten a first down or even scored again. That one is 100% on the coaches. 

WOW.

Hard to believe that in the course of 5 days there were 2 coaching staffs from Auburn that should have been fired immediatey following a game at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

49 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I mean they could have ran the ball 4 times and either gotten a first down or even scored again. That one is 100% on the coaches. 

Exactly. I know they probably thought they had the game in the bag, but who takes a knee out of the shotgun formation three straight times?? They lost almost 30 yards of field position just on that. 
After the starting QB for Thompson went down, they struggled all night to move the ball. If you’re just playing to run out the clock then hike the ball, have your QB or running back scramble around and go down when a defender gets close or cut it upfield if the yardage is there. Do that four times and eat up as much time as possible then make them drive it 70+ yards (something they haven’t done all night). And that’s to just get it to within 2 points.

2 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

After the starting QB for Thompson went down, they struggled all night to move the ball. Hike the ball, have your QB or running back scramble around and go down when a defender gets close. Do that four times and eat up as much time as possible then make them drive it 70+ yards (something they haven’t done all night). And that’s to just get it to within 2 points.

I honestly think the odds would be against you if you tried, as the HC, to lose a game when you were up 28-19 with less than a 2 minutes to go and you have the ball 1st and 10 near the opponent's redzone.

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Did any of you see this? Was Gus coaching Auburn High? They were leading 28-19 with under 2 minutes left and they had the ball near Thompson 20. They took knees backing up to nearly midfield until they had to punt. See the rest in the video. My My.

Watch the punter on that clip. Not only does he take his sweet time getting the punt off, but once it’s blocked he just stands there watching!

1 minute ago, PigskinPat said:

Watch the punter on that clip. Not only does he take his sweet time getting the punt off, but once it’s blocked he just stands there watching!

The more I watch the more heartbroken I am for these kids.

When I was in High School we were unbeaten through the season. Top ranked team in the state.  Had a clear path to State. In the 2nd round of playoffs, we faced up against Murphreesboro Riverdale who would probably be the toughest test throughout the entire playoffs. We had already eaten their lunch in the season. Our OC basically coached like Gus against Bama and was way too conservative. They were loading the box 9 guys with single coverage on our best guys. Daring us to throw it. I still to this day do not have a clue what he was thinking. We had an awesome QB and WR. We didn't start throwing until the last 2 minutes and it was too little too late then.

I blamed coaches for that game and it was no where near the level of incompetence as this.

High school coaches think they are all smarter than anyone else and should be coaching in the NFL or Auburn.

the Auburn High head coach gave that game away.

25 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

much like his blockers before the kick...

12 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Adam Winegarden.  He is also the highest paid HS coach in the state.   

Maybe AHS will learn how to take the victory formation snap directly from center then for all that $$$ they are paying to not win a title. 😂

Archived