Urban Meyer

auburn4ever

Unless something happens to blow it up, it looks like Texas will be getting a new coach in Urban Meyer. It's a shame we didn't go after Urban. That would sure shake up the football world in this state. Who knows, Saban may start thinking retiring a lot sooner then later.

24 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Unless something happens to blow it up, it looks like Texas will be getting a new coach in Urban Meyer. It's a shame we didn't go after Urban. That would sure shake up the football world in this state. Who knows, Saban may start thinking retiring a lot sooner then later.

Meh. Urban Meyer was never coming here. We wouldn’t offer enough money, especially with the size of Gus’s buyout.  I’m not sure he’d take it anyway. He doesn’t really fit the Auburn culture, and he’d probably pass on us given Saban next door.  I wouldn’t want him here anyway. He’s a complete tool and a jerk. 

1 hour ago, AURex said:

I'm still not convinced Meyer will take any coaching job, including Texas.

They all want to coach as long as healthy because they have such egos at that level.

If I was Meyer, I wouldn't. I would choose AU over Texas. At Texas, you have a PTB system far worse than what we have at AU. Why would you want to go back to coaching period when you went out at the top of your game. If you come back, especially at Texas and do not succeed, you are tarnishing your own legacy IMHO.

He maybe a jerk, but he's a jerk that's won 3 national championships. 2 at Florida and 1 at Ohio State. That's the bottom line.

Urban is already a Hall of Fame coach at 2 universities, he has huge buckets of money so he doesn't need another dollar, and he is famous as a commentator on other crappy coaches/games. Why woukd he want to jump back into the cesspool of college coaching?

If he does it, I'm gonna think his brain cyst has made him insane. I don't think he has any reason to accept any cosching job, no matter how much money they throw at him.

2 hours ago, AUFriction said:

Meh. Urban Meyer was never coming here. We wouldn’t offer enough money, especially with the size of Gus’s buyout.  I’m not sure he’d take it anyway. He doesn’t really fit the Auburn culture, and he’d probably pass on us given Saban next door.  I wouldn’t want him here anyway. He’s a complete tool and a jerk. 

The auburn culture bull is part of the reason we have choir boy gus still

2 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

The auburn culture bull is part of the reason we have choir boy gus still

The Auburn culture "bull" as you called it is embraced by the majority of the Auburn family. If you don't like it, go be a Bama fan. 

I think Urban legitimately has some health issues, and I don't think he'd take a job as hard as Auburn at this point. To me, he seems like he's going to go somewhere as a CEO, not as the former offensive master mind. That's not a pro or con, just where he seems to be at mentally. 

If Texas gives him autonomy, giving him whatever he wants for 3-4 years until he needs to rest again will pay DIVIDENDS, if you get a Ryan Day or Dan Mullen out of it. Hell, even a young Strong and Herman wouldn't be bad, if Texas didn't have their hands in those guys' pockets every step along the way 

How quick we forget the down-right reprehensible things he's done as a coach like harboring a spousal abuser on his staff... Or Carlos Hyde getting a slap on the wrist for assaulting that girl in the bar... Or let Percy Harvin assault one of his assistant coaches... Any of that ring a bell.

No, the chances of Urban Meyer coming to Auburn were (and are) astronomically immeasurable.

Meyer loves the attention.  He is not coaching anywhere.  Texas will hire Cristobal

7 hours ago, Beaker said:

Meyer loves the attention.  He is not coaching anywhere.  Texas will hire Cristobal

That's another thing about Cristobal. Unless Auburn was planning to back the Brinks truck up to his front yard, there's no incentive for making the move. He's on a roll in Eugene in a very down PAC 12 and would have to fix a mess in Auburn while competing with Bama, Georgia, A&M, LSU and Florida...

Now Texas... That will never be a lateral move. 

13 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think Urban legitimately has some health issues, and I don't think he'd take a job as hard as Auburn at this point. To me, he seems like he's going to go somewhere as a CEO, not as the former offensive master mind. That's not a pro or con, just where he seems to be at mentally. 

If Texas gives him autonomy, giving him whatever he wants for 3-4 years until he needs to rest again will pay DIVIDENDS, if you get a Ryan Day or Dan Mullen out of it. Hell, even a young Strong and Herman wouldn't be bad, if Texas didn't have their hands in those guys' pockets every step along the way 

This . I believe there is way more program meddling at UT than anywhere else in the country . Explain to me with the talent in Texas along with millions in support at every turn how they can’t win?? Too many chiefs and not enough Indians . 

Why is there even a thread for Urban Meyer. Come on. This isn’t going to happen. Sarkisian or Crystobal? Maybe. Meyer is a pipe dream. 

18 hours ago, AURex said:

Urban is already a Hall of Fame coach at 2 universities, he has huge buckets of money so he doesn't need another dollar, and he is famous as a commentator on other crappy coaches/games. Why woukd he want to jump back into the cesspool of college coaching?

If he does it, I'm gonna think his brain cyst has made him insane. I don't think he has any reason to accept any cosching job, no matter how much money they throw at him.

Jon Gruden had no sane reason to leave the MNF booth, yet there he is in Las Vegas.  Sometimes the coaching bug won't let go.

9 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Why is there even a thread for Urban Meyer. Come on. This isn’t going to happen. Sarkisian or Crystobal? Maybe. Meyer is a pipe dream. 

Because anyone can start a thread on these forums and there are some who abuse that power to post their thoughts that would otherwise be better suited in existing threads...

One disagreement - I don't think very highly of Sark. What Auburn needs is a transcendent coach who can push us over the edge. Sark has been ~.500 overall as a head coach at Washington and USCw. Do we really want to repeat the Gene Chizik model?

6 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Because anyone can start a thread on these forums and there are some who abuse that power to post their thoughts that would otherwise be better suited in existing threads...

One disagreement - I don't think very highly of Sark. What Auburn needs is a transcendent coach who can push us over the edge. Sark has been ~.500 overall as a head coach at Washington and USCw. Do we really want to repeat the Gene Chizik model?

Sark was a .500 head coach while being constantly s**t faced. That takes some skill. And his offensive coaching ability is great. And he’s learned under Saban for a few years. I think he’s about as good a coach as we can expect. I don’t see any transcendent coaches just laying around. And we may be competing for coaching candidates against Texas and Michigan (2 blue bloods) this off season. 

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Sark was a .500 head coach while being constantly s**t faced. That takes some skill. And his offensive coaching ability is great. And he’s learned under Saban for a few years. I think he’s about as good a coach as we can expect. I don’t see any transcendent coaches just laying around. And we may be competing for coaching candidates against Texas and Michigan (2 blue bloods) this off season. 

Fair point but outside of Kirby Smart what former Saban assistant is lighting it up? If Sark is the best we can get and we end up with Gus 2.0 then what was the point? We only further bury our ability to compete. As much as I hate it, unless we have a home run hire, we're better off building the war chest, and spending that money to improve the facilities - give the next guy the tools to be successful.

Archived