Men vs UGa

AUnCullman

15 minutes ago, chizhead said:

After the game, BP said he told Coop that he liked 5 more turnovers having a triple double. Subtle message to him or the team? The other guys are going to have to learn to play with their eyes open at all times. AND FINISH AT THE RIM!!!! They left a lot of easy points on the court,

If they tighten up the the nuts and bolts some, they can compete with the best and this is so much fun to watch

Sharife was pretty loose with the ball and had several turnovers because he was trying to dribble through traffic. I would have complained about it but it seemed silly when a guy goes off for 28pts and 12 assists lol. And uga had both those little guards all over him the whole game. He handled the pressure amazingly for a Freshman playing his second game. 

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, chizhead said:

After the game, BP said he told Coop that he liked 5 more turnovers having a triple double. Subtle message to him or the team? The other guys are going to have to learn to play with their eyes open at all times. AND FINISH AT THE RIM!!!! They left a lot of easy points on the court,

If they tighten up the the nuts and bolts some, they can compete with the best and this is so much fun to watch

So he only had 5 turnovers? He had a heck of a game but honestly, I thought he had more turnovers than that last night. With everything that happened behind the scenes, I think he wanted to beat the crap out of Ga and that's why his ball control was a little off. For those that don't know, Tom Creen was the one who sparked the allegations about Shariffe which got us a visit from the NCAA. So I think Shariffe really wanted this. Granted, I'm sure their game plan was to stop him and their point guard and the Johnson kid did pretty good ball pressure on him. They are both really quick. 

Cant wait for Saturday to get here!!

34 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Sharife was pretty loose with the ball and had several turnovers because he was trying to dribble through traffic. I would have complained about it but it seemed silly when a guy goes off for 28pts and 12 assists lol. And uga had both those little guards all over him the whole game. He handled the pressure amazingly for a Freshman playing his second game. 

That’s what I was referring to when I said he would get even better. He probably did that in high school without much problem. Two games is not enough to adjust to longer, more athletic opponents. He also has to figure out how much some of his teammates are able to handle it in traffic and adjust to that. 

1 hour ago, AUnCullman said:

So he only had 5 turnovers? He had a heck of a game but honestly, I thought he had more turnovers than that last night. With everything that happened behind the scenes, I think he wanted to beat the crap out of Ga and that's why his ball control was a little off. For those that don't know, Tom Creen was the one who sparked the allegations about Shariffe which got us a visit from the NCAA. So I think Shariffe really wanted this. Granted, I'm sure their game plan was to stop him and their point guard and the Johnson kid did pretty good ball pressure on him. They are both really quick. 

Cant wait for Saturday to get here!!

Yeah I believe CBP lost count on TO's but Shariffe brings so much to the table it's worth the risk to drive through heavy traffic when we need a basket to stop a shooting drought. Cooper is so quick he can avoid the charge calls and shot rejections that others (mortals) deal with. But yes we have to cut down on turnovers to defeat better teams. SC does need much work on outside shooting but FTs and touch around the basket are A+. His made three was uglier than a bank shot.  Lol

58 minutes ago, alexava said:

That’s what I was referring to when I said he would get even better. He probably did that in high school without much problem. Two games is not enough to adjust to longer, more athletic opponents. He also has to figure out how much some of his teammates are able to handle it in traffic and adjust to that. 

FOr all the pluses SC brings to the team in these last 2 games, he still has a lot to work on:

1. He seems to have moments when he dribbles out of control as he enters inside the circle. He lost some and some he was lucky to get back.

2. I remember right before the half, we were on a roll and close to blowing GA out, getting up about 16 with around a minute left. Then he pushes his dribble too much and has 2 TOs in the last minute, allowing them to get back to 11 down. He needs to understand time and tempo as to when to push the pedal to the floor and when to play under control.

3. He needs lots of work on his jump shot and 3 pt shot. Most of his 3 pt shots are not very accurate and downright ugly. Hopefully time and experience will improve it. As the announcer said, he won't make it in the NBA if he doesnt develop a 3 pt shot.

But he is a great vision guy with the ball, and has great touch with his passes. I laughed one time when he bounced a behind the back pass to I think Williams at the top of the key, and WIlliams didn't even realize he did and never saw it just laying on the court.

Scoring 90+ ppg in 2 games with Sharife. Now we play a soft, but embarrassed Kentucky team. I imagine they will be a little inspired to do better than they showed against Bama, but bring it. I just wish this game was in Rupp to end that losing streak (before they get it together, if they do).  

I think our size in the blocks and rim protecting ability will be a major problem for UK. I think we will need to be better from 3 though, and clean up the trash turnovers like fumbling the ball. 

14 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

FOr all the pluses SC brings to the team in these last 2 games, he still has a lot to work on:

1. He seems to have moments when he dribbles out of control as he enters inside the circle. He lost some and some he was lucky to get back.

2. I remember right before the half, we were on a roll and close to blowing GA out, getting up about 16 with around a minute left. Then he pushes his dribble too much and has 2 TOs in the last minute, allowing them to get back to 11 down. He needs to understand time and tempo as to when to push the pedal to the floor and when to play under control.

3. He needs lots of work on his jump shot and 3 pt shot. Most of his 3 pt shots are not very accurate and downright ugly. Hopefully time and experience will improve it. As the announcer said, he won't make it in the NBA if he doesnt develop a 3 pt shot.

But he is a great vision guy with the ball, and has great touch with his passes. I laughed one time when he bounced a behind the back pass to I think Williams at the top of the key, and WIlliams didn't even realize he did and never saw it just laying on the court.

Agree on all points. And before anyone criticizes us, I think we all agree he’s awesome. But can be awesomer. Lol I am reminded of Nick Marshal. His demeanor just seems so laid back that he can’t get rattled. 

7 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Did I hear we had the 7th tallest team in D1 last night on the SEC network? Not something I’ve heard before. Maybe I misunderstood but if true, wow.

We do have one of the tallest teams in the conference and nationally, but not sure of rank without looking it up. It’s weird to be so tall after being a smallish team the last couple years.

We had the most blocks in a game nationwide for the season so far. Awesome 😎 

3 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Did I hear we had the 7th tallest team in D1 last night on the SEC network? Not something I’ve heard before. Maybe I misunderstood but if true, wow.

Thats exactly what they said last night. I was shocked also. 

One thing I will add that I see with this team. I think our team is not used to someone dribble driving and then passing the ball out to the perimeter. And very few times do I see guys going for the baseline pass when he drives. We stand around a lot. I do see guys wanting the ally oop but as far as passing and getting in the correct passing lane, we just aren't getting there

I think this is a great indicator of 1) SC's talent but 2) He has been well coached in team ball. Which is foreign to a lot of players nowadays. (My big complaint with AAU coaching)

Once we get a few games down, it will click but there have been so many times just in the last couple of games we have seen him that he is driving to dish but there is nobody flashing to the open spot, just standing on the perimeter. 

Its going to get so much better. 

6 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Not to mention the youngest.

Watched a highlight reel and saw what appeared to be an awkward non handshake between coaches - Anyone have any thoughts on it?

the cbp wave seemed smart ass?  That doesn’t seem his style but the creen body language and cbp wave ... along with the comments that creen was the cause of the SC investigation... maybe I read too much into it.?

23 hours ago, toddc said:

We do have one of the tallest teams in the conference and nationally, but not sure of rank without looking it up. It’s weird to be so tall after being a smallish team the last couple years.

We had the most blocks in a game nationwide for the season so far. Awesome 😎 

I made post back then that cbp really prefers long teams and he wasn't recruiting short people for preference, I said give him a couple of years and we'd be tall and long......I didn't really see the tallest team in the country or anything but I knew we were going to recruit size

Just now, cole256 said:

I made post back then that cbp really prefers long teams and he wasn't recruiting short people for preference, I said give him a couple of years and we'd be tall and long......I didn't really see the tallest team in the country or anything but I knew we were going to recruit size

Good call!

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's what I expected with coop. He's going to have to work on shooting to be a top pick in the draft. 

Both the ball brothers got drafted really high without being able to shoot. And Simmons. They are all also like 6'8" or so but shooting is not everything for the PG position it would seem. But i hope you are correct because selfishly i really want to see Sharife for a whole season at Auburn. I think we'll be a pre-season top 5 team next year if everyone  comes back.  

14 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Both the ball brothers got drafted really high without being able to shoot. And Simmons. They are all also like 6'8" or so but shooting is not everything for the PG position it would seem. But i hope you are correct because selfishly i really want to see Sharife for a whole season at Auburn. I think we'll be a pre-season top 5 team next year if everyone  comes back.  

Lamello has always been able to shoot, and as big and good as Simmons is people are all over him about his shooting. But those guys all have size so they can impact game in different ways. If you're small and you can't shoot then you're not going to be useful. Definitely not going to be drafted high. You at least have to be a threat at shooting

I agree, we will be a top team if everybody plays another year

38 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

I don't know. John Stockton wasn't really known for his shooting ability. But he was an impact player. 

He was also a bulldog defender and did develop a pretty solid shot. Much more solid than Cooper’s is right now.

36 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

I don't know. John Stockton wasn't really known for his shooting ability. But he was an impact player. 

Stockton was a fantastic shooter. It's not just about hey this guy can shoot. If you are small you have to be a threat to space the floor out. If you can't shoot and you're small somebody can just place a long athletic guy on you sag off of you and literally that player wouldn't be able to impact the game at all

He was a good shooter don't get me wrong and didn't mean to imply he wasn't, just said he wasn't known for making an impact on his team by shooting. He was a elite passer and floor general.  Yes he could shoot well for sure. 

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Stockton was a fantastic shooter. It's not just about hey this guy can shoot. If you are small you have to be a threat to space the floor out. If you can't shoot and you're small somebody can just place a long athletic guy on you sag off of you and literally that player wouldn't be able to impact the game at all

As Cole said Stockton had a great shot.  He used it wisely as he had the mailman to feed but when needed he hit at a high percentage. He was a true floor general.  It is hard to compare Sharife and Stockton as the game has changed so much. In the Stockton era it was feed the big men inside and the open man when they sagged on the big. Todays game requires a different type of floor general and a small guard needs to have a consistent outside shot more than in the Stockton era.

Now we have big men shooting three's so with more open floor drive score and hit the open man for a three. If you can't hit the three consistently the big guards backoff you making it more difficult to drive.

21 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

He was a good shooter don't get me wrong and didn't mean to imply he wasn't, just said he wasn't known for making an impact on his team by shooting. He was a elite passer and floor general.  Yes he could shoot well for sure. 

Well you offered it in the convo as if to disagree with my point that's why I answered it and I assume the other people assumed the same thing. I don't think being known has any weight as far as making decisions. 

Shooting is just one of many tools used in playing basketball and different tools vary in importance for different positions. For coop shooting is a very important tool needed for his position and himself being effective

You may have took it as a disagreement if you did not read my post correctly, thus is why I said he wasnt known as a shooter in my original message as much as a leader on the floor as a PG. Anywho, splitting frog hairs either way. I think we all understand each other now and agree with one another. Moving on..

When people are talking about something like apples are good because they are sweet and you come ok and say idk I had an apple and it's sour yeah people are going to think it's a disagreement. Not that anybody misread what you said. 

But yeah moving on I guess everybody is saying the same thing, in a way

Archived