Pruitt out at Tennessee (Merged)

Tiger1992

48 minutes ago, AURandy1345162767 said:

There are those, even among the AU fans, who believe that success breeds success, and since Bama is very successful, they bring in the cream of the crop. Like I said in my post, that is probably true NOW, but I do believe, and there have been evidence of things going in Bama's favor as far as recruiting the top players, when Saban started at Bama, he got a lot of "help" luring those players. You also have those who say that "every team cheats," some of those will turn around and say that Malzahn ran a clean program How can every team cheat, but Auburn was a clean program? I for one do not believe every team cheats. If AU cheated, would we be losing 4-5 games every year? Wouldn't AU have more than 2 national championships if AU cheated to get the top recruits in the county? 

Too much money in power 5 for that money to not make it into the hands of players including Auburn players.  

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

DON"T CHEAT!! 

I have 2 issues with cheating.

1.   Just because you pay some high school recruit doesn't mean they will be good in college.  They still have to practice hard,  work out,  study,  stay out of trouble, study the plays, learn technique  and get along with the rest of the team. 

2.   There are no secrets.    esp. in today's anonymous  information age.    Someone is going to talk.   A few paid players will get their feeling hurt about something, and dig up the bodies.  A different recruit will hear about it and be jealous they did not get paid and narc.

No one has spoken up regarding the rumors surrounding Bama's supposed cheating. So I guess they are all clean.

They are well organized.  One day maybe ...

1 hour ago, Never2Yield said:

No one has spoken up regarding the rumors surrounding Bama's supposed cheating. So I guess they are all clean.

They are well organized.  One day maybe ...

DANG IT  Never2Yield.    I can't believe you are making me defend  bama.  This is a rare event.

It is fun to talk about bama cheating,  but there is not as much cheating as everyone says.     

Yeah,  "everyone does it".   but  not as often or as seriously.  It is too easy to prove.   I am not talking about $100 handshakes here,  but new cars  and thousands of dollars.

What do you say?       Come to bama and we'll get you a car?  How many players can you tell that to until you ask a few players with strong morals that end up not going to uat.  How many of those tell the school they go to's coach, a parent,  an NCAA investigator, etc.?  How long before the NCAA gets so many reports they have to do something?

If it was a ramped as everyone says,  someone that doesn't go to bama, but was approached,  would talk.   The only way it would work is if a recruit was  payed off AFTER uat already KNEW he will be going to  bama.  They are not going to approach someone that may go elsewhere.   It would be too big of a risk of talking to their coach about it.   If the recruit is already going to go to bama what would be the point of paying them to go there? 

Spit*, spit *, spit again*

BUCK Fama.   I feel better now

4 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

DANG IT  Never2Yield.    I can't believe you are making me defend  bama.  This is a rare event.

It is fun to talk about bama cheating,  but there is not as much cheating as everyone says.     

Yeah,  "everyone does it".   but  not as often or as seriously.  It is too easy to prove.   I am not talking about $100 handshakes here,  but new cars  and thousands of dollars.

What do you say?       Come to bama and we'll get you a car?  How many players can you tell that to until you ask a few players with strong morals that end up not going to uat.  How many of those tell the school they go to's coach, a parent,  an NCAA investigator, etc.?  How long before the NCAA gets so many reports they have to do something?

If it was a ramped as everyone says,  someone that doesn't go to bama, but was approached,  would talk.   The only way it would work is if a recruit was  payed off AFTER uat already KNEW he will be going to  bama.  They are not going to approach someone that may go elsewhere.   It would be too big of a risk of talking to their coach about it.   If the recruit is already going to go to bama what would be the point of paying them to go there? 

Spit*, spit *, spit again*

**** bama.   I feel better now

raw

29 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

@Never2Yieldare you well connected w the machine and/or REC?

I'll never tell ... :big:

I think the cheating and dodge car giving is more myth than truth, and some of it comes from the days of Bear Bryant who probably skirted a few rules. 😉 

6 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

As long as Mark Emmert is the head of the NCAA, Saban and the Bammers have nothing to worry about. They break a 1000 rules and Emmert will always look the other way. Heck, he already has since since Nicky was first hired at Bammer.

You are right but Bear did something similar.  BEAR HIRED Charley Thornton who was a member of the NCAA to run interference for Bama with the NCAA.  

After road football games the alumni would meet in the hotel bar.  When the players got off the buses and would head into the hotel, several of our “stars” would wander into the bar.  I personally witnessed several $100+ handshakes. (This was not at Auburn - small school in East Texas). It happens at all levels.  If the amounts are small, who’s to know. McDonalds bags get you caught. 

4 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I’m just gonna say this just because I don’t want this coming back to me one day professionally. And I’m sure I’ll get some heat. 

if you know you know. Don’t be so naive about the state of college athletics, especially when there’s $$$ at stake for not just the programs, but the school itself. And I’m not singling out Bama. It’s not a Bama, UTK, UGA thing. It’s an association wide issue. 

Is it rampant as some would like to make it? No. But don’t be naive. I don’t know if it was someone in the board who told me or an email conversation, but if UTK didn’t go the extra mile to hire an outside firm to internally investigate this would have never been an issue. They would have been easily been able to classify something as level-2 infractions. Which is mind-blowing in itself that they went this far to replace Fulmer and Pruitt and basically restart the FB program. 

If you really want to sit down and understand this overall association-wide issue, really dig deep in the NCAAMB-FBI issue. Dominos are still falling, the holes are deeper than previously understood, but hey, somehow the lead prosecutor got moved from the case and everything is moving at a snails pace now.... 

2 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

After road football games the alumni would meet in the hotel bar.  When the players got off the buses and would head into the hotel, several of our “stars” would wander into the bar.  I personally witnessed several $100+ handshakes. (This was not at Auburn - small school in East Texas). It happens at all levels.  If the amounts are small, who’s to know. McDonalds bags get you caught. 

McDonalds bags I think are just a hyperbole. And even bar meetings. But let’s just say it’s not uncommon to wake up with a package waiting for you at your apartment or dorm room after a trip or a game.

it’s hard to trace cash (bills). 

6 hours ago, Taco said:

McDonalds bags I think are just a hyperbole. And even bar meetings. But let’s just say it’s not uncommon to wake up with a package waiting for you at your apartment or dorm room after a trip or a game.

Or stuffed backpacks waiting for recruits on visists

8 hours ago, Taco said:

I agree it is done,  but not as much as you think.   You are mixing 2 scenarios.  One Bribing players to go to the school,  and the second is paying players after they are already on the team.   One involves 10's of thousands of dollars and cars,  the other "$100 handshakes".   

What is the point of paying a car  to an already committed player?  It will not make them  a better football player.  Are they being payed not to leave?  That is demotivating.   Is a car promised or given to them before they commit?

Cash is hard to track unless you are talking 20 grand to a family that nets $50,000 a year.   Not many people have a random $20 grand dumped into their bank,  and a new car in the driveway.   May be 1 or 2 have a random windfall not related to football.  It would be obvious in the  records if 3-4 kids a year at a school randomly got this windfall.    If payed for football, they would  have to keep $20,000 cash stuffed in their lockers and dorms.

Yes,  I know it happens, but if it is widespread,  you will get caught.   Or, if you try to bribe one wrong person the whole system goes down.

29 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Yes,  I know it happens, but if it is widespread,  you will get caught.   Or, if you try to bribe one wrong person the whole system goes down.

I could discuss the other portions of your statement but I feel as though there's really no discussion at this point. You believe what you believe. I see what I believe... and I mean this respectfully.  

With that being said, if you mean widespread as coaches and departments got reckless and acted like Oprah giving out cars and gifts at her shows, sure, yeah you'll get caught. But if you mean widespread as in it doesn't happen all across athletic departments across America... well i'll have to disagree. 

I think the issue here is the idea that NCAA Compliance has this incredible authority in the world of college athletics is pretty farfetched, they're definitely more of a scare tactic within departments. There's almost a honor code of sorts between administrators and coaches to not throw each other under the bus, especially for the fear of being blacklisted. If it does get to the stage where the enforcement staff gets involved it's just about over, might as well hire an outside counsel to levy some of the punishments in advance that your department may get hit with to show good faith.

I mean I really don't wanna sound like a conspiracy nut, but yes departments have plenty of "dark pool" (calling it this to make it sound cooler than what it is), for certain spending. Yes it happens EVERYWHERE, even at some FCS levels, (don't get me started with JUCO coaches and departments, they're bloodsuckers). But no it doesn't happen at every sport, only the ones that bring in the revenues and donors. The system won't ever fall in my opinion, just because this is.. well the system. If one thing gets exposed, they'll find another way to make it happen. I mean look at John Miller at Ole Miss... 

And I'm not saying every kid gets a new car or 5-6 figures to play around with. Because that's not common place. But the "$100 dollar handshakes" you talk about, it's not really just $100... And it doesn't happen here and there, it usually happens after good games or performances-- and they add up. And sure it might be just something simple as getting a parent a 6-figure job at let's say a place like Yellawood, but regardless, things are happening that shouldn't be, and it happens more than an average person may believe.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Or stuffed backpacks waiting for recruits on visists

what did they give you and golf to play back in the day?

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

what did they give you and golf to play back in the day?

They gave Golf a cat because ancient egyptians revered the animal and saw it as a sign of prosperity and good fortune. I got a Russell athletic hoodie and water bottle.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

They gave Golf a cat because ancient egyptians revered the animal and saw it as a sign of prosperity and good fortune. I got a Russell athletic hoodie and water bottle.

were you faster than bird and better looking? i bet golf is dusty when ya sit down to talk to him after all those years.....lol

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

were you faster than bird and better looking? i bet golf is dusty when ya sit down to talk to him after all those years.....lol

Huh?

Just now, bigbird said:

Huh?

replace bird with golf. sorry too many windows open and i try to type too fast.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

replace bird with golf. sorry too many windows open and i try to type too fast.

Then yes, yes I was and am. 😉

2 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Or, if you try to bribe one wrong person the whole system goes down.

Or that person might fall up the stairs. Or have their business blacklisted, or lose a job and have a hard time finding an equivalent one.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Or that person might fall up the stairs. Or have their business blacklisted, or lose a job and have a hard time finding an equivalent one.

I understand that.   BUT,

I do not think "falling up the stairs" type events happen very often at all.  

If it was your dad or son that "fell up the stairs" or "choked on lettuce" under those circumstances,  you wouldn't seek revenge?  

We are talking murder here.      "Take the money,  shut your mouth and go to bama or I will kill you or a family member." ?     If the implication is murder, why use the money at all?   Why not just threaten  someone with  death if they don't sign with bama.   

If they are going to murder someone,  it is not much of a deterrent to talking if nobody knows about why  the murder happened.   If everybody knows about the murder and why,  they have this looming threat hanging over them.  If it is so wide spread (at bama),   who the hell would even let bama in the door?

A threat to me or my family is a very serious thing.   I can not imagine a world where every paid player ignores a threat or just knuckles under to it. 

10 minutes ago, HarsinVOL said:

I understand this is an Awburn board but the way Nick Saban lives in your collective heads - rent-free - is astounding. Truly astounding.

Says the UT loser who can't stay off the Auburn message board.

Archived