2021 Northwestern DE Eku Leota Signs With AU!

Maverick.AU

49 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

4 sacks in 9 games vs just P5 teams, so no stat padding...pretty solid as a RS Soph.  He'll be a solid player for us.  Probably a net gain over Big Kat

I agree also seems to be better at holding the Edge on the run then Big Cat.

• ellitor changed the title to 2021 Northwestern DE Eku Leota Signs With AU!

I would be very surprised if this staff didn't vet any portal transfers very thoroughly.  Coach Harsin has been adamant about getting the right people into the football program. 

It could be that he wants to compete against elite players on a more consistent basis.  At Northwestern you play Ohio State and maybe an opponent in your bowl game.  The SEC West plus UGA every year is elite competition. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Yabo said:

I would be very surprised if this staff didn't vet any portal transfers very thoroughly.  Coach Harsin has been adamant about getting the right people into the football program. 

It could be that he wants to compete against elite players on a more consistent basis.  At Northwestern you play Ohio State and maybe an opponent in your bowl game.  The SEC West plus UGA every year is elite competition. 

There are quality players at lower levels though. Look at Brandon counsel for us. He was the best OL last year and if he  recovers from his injury well will be the best OL beginning the year.

You find them wherever you see the quality and you vet them just like you said.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ellitor said:

There are quality players at lower levels though. Look at Brandon counsel for us. He was the best OL last year and if he  recovers from his injury well will be the best OL beginning the year.

You find them wherever you see the quality and you vet them just like you said.

That's true. You don't have to be in a Power 5 program. You follow recruiting so you know that some players don't show their full potential until they are at the very least enrolled and practicing. 

Despite all of the effort and technology involved recruiting high school athletes to play college football is still a bit of a crap shoot. You shoot for the highest average possible and hope that it pans out. 

Murphys Law does apply to football. Take our offensive line from last year. I believe that if they were able to play the whole season as a unit they would have been an average SEC offensive line.  As we didn't have a lot of depth Murphy wreaked havoc. 

I want to take this opportunity to tell you that I appreciate what you,  Zeek and Palladin do to keep us informed on what is happening in recruiting. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Yabo said:

I want to take this opportunity to tell you that I appreciate what you,  Zeek and Palladin do to keep us informed on what is happening in recruiting. 

Thanks! @Zeek@Paladiny'all have shout outs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, dilligas said:

I’ve heard that sometimes the difference between being a 4 star and a 3 star can be number of camps and which camps attended

Bigger picture than that. It's often about getting more eyes in general seen on some guys.

50 minutes ago, Yabo said:

Thanks! 

56 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Bigger picture than that. It's often about getting more eyes in general seen on some guys.

Such as how good the highlight tape is and who all the kids coach sends it to.  The high school coach can make a big difference in a kids exposure or lack thereof.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Paladin said:

Thanks! 

Simply giving credit where credit is due. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dilligas said:

who all the kids coach sends it to

With today's technology that is no longer required or really that important anymore.

1 hour ago, dilligas said:

The high school coach can make a big difference in a kids exposure or lack thereof.

Used to be that way but not anymore with the advent of hudl.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

With today's technology that is no longer required or really that important anymore.

They still play a big role in getting tapes out and establishing the connections. Also, one of the biggest is being the sounding board for the kids trying to make their decisions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If that were true why do you think college coaches work so hard to develop relationships with the high school coaches.  They do matter more than the recruiting services may think they do.  

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

They still play a big role in getting tapes out and establishing the connections. Also, one of the biggest is being the sounding board for the kids trying to make their decisions

Totally agree! I'm just saying if a college coach here's about a kid he wants to look at he doesn't have to go through the process of havng to go through a coach to get tapes of him. He can just pull up the kid's hudl & see if he thinks highlights warrant more broader perspective film.

1 minute ago, dilligas said:

If that were true why do you think college coaches work so hard to develop relationships with the high school coaches.  They do matter more than the recruiting services may think they do.  

@dilligasNever said nor implied they didn't. Just not as vital as they used to be. Look at almost all our bad beats that went wrong. In almost all of them the coaches were not involved & were disgusted with the kid's & parents' behavior. Pickens being the latest example.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Totally agree! I'm just saying if a college coach here's about a kid he wants to look at he doesn't have to go through the process of havng to go through a coach to get tapes of him. He can just pull up the kid's hudl & see if he thinks highlights warrant more broader perspective film.

You’re right about that.  Hudl makes it possible for kids to self promote more than before.  There’s a good article here on this Site about Wesley Steiner’s story on his recruitment and clearly he took full advantage.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Absolutely. Easier for us too to get players names out there

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

How much does it cost for a HS players family to have a highlight vid posted on hudl?  

@The Plainsman Probably depends on what the school decides. Athletes & fans can't put videos on hudl independently. Their school has to have a hudl account & the player has to be on a roster submitted to Hudl before Athletes can post videos. Here are the high school pricing tiers...

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 9:47 PM, The Plainsman said:

How much does it cost for a HS players family to have a highlight vid posted on hudl?  

I've seen parents hire an independent filmer/videographer to video their kid throughout the season. No idea the cost or how effective it is though.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 10:29 PM, ellitor said:

@The Plainsman Probably depends on what the school decides. Athletes & fans can't put videos on hudl independently. Their school has to have a hudl account & the player has to be on a roster submitted to Hudl before Athletes can post videos. Here are the high school pricing tiers...

Man,  why wouldn’t we just start something like it, and just charge families $50.   Heck,  why can’t the kids just dump it all on YouTube (which I suppose the do too)   

51 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Man,  why wouldn’t we just start something like it, and just charge families $50.   Heck,  why can’t the kids just dump it all on YouTube (which I suppose the do too)   

Because someone has to record the game and give tools and such to edit.  I have done a couple of the hudl videos for kids and they have done a lot of time and money in all that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1