2023 Early Offers & Talk

toddc

Several Auburn targets in updated 2023 Top 247

ByKEITH NIEBUHR 4 hours ago 

The Auburn football staff isn't just working on transfer additions and class of 2022 prospects. Already, the Tigers -- and everyone else for that matter -- have started evaluating and offering 2023s, who are rising juniors. Wednesday, 247Sports released the updated Top247 for 2023 (click HERE for full list). As you might imagine, several Auburn targets made the list. Here's a closer look at some of them.

No. 1: DE, Lebbeus Overton: Auburn offered the Atlanta-area standout this spring. He seems fairly open at this time, but it is unclear if and when he might visit the Tigers.

No. 2: DT, Peter Woods: Woods is the highest-ranked in-state prospect and he recently included Auburn in his top 11. To land him, the Tigers will have to beat out Bama, the current Crystal Ball favorite.

No. 3: DT, James Smith: We're told there's a good chance this Montgomery, Ala., standout will visit the Tigers in June. Auburn is trying to beef up its presence in his area. 

No. 14: CB, Tony Mitchell: The new Auburn staff quickly offered Mitchell (in January), but it appears the Tigers have some work to do to become a true factor.

No. 24: RB, Richard Young: The talented Florida running back is former teammates with 2021 Auburn signee Tar'varish Dawson and he visited in January. But since then, he is talking up others more such as Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State.

No. 32: CB, Jahlil Hurley: Auburn offered Hurley last October and the new staff re-offered in April.

No. 34: CB, AJ Harris: Georgia is the perceived favorite but Harris attended A-Day at Auburn and the Tigers have made him a priority recruit.

No. 69: OT, Chase Bisontis: New Jersey standout is highest-ranked 2023 with a Tigers offer.

No. 71: DE, Keldric Faulk: The 4-star recruit from Highland Home, Ala., will visit Auburn on June 14.

No. 73: DE, Kelby Collins: Bryan Harsin's staff re-offered earlier this year and Collins hopes to visit in June.

No. 93: S, Sylvester Smith: Auburn offered the in-state talent in April.

No. 103: WR, Cayden Lee: The talented Georgia product plays for Cam Newton's 7-on-7 team.

No. 110: CB, Ethan Nation: A metro-Atlanta standout who visited Auburn for A-Day. He's a major Tigers target who already has built a good relationship with corners coach Zac Etheridge.

No. 115: DE, Tomarrion Parker: Four-star recruit likely will visit Auburn soon, probably in June.

No. 133: OG, Madden Sanker: Auburn offered the 4-star product from Georgia in late April. In-state Bulldogs have yet to offer. If they do, they could be tough to beat.

No. 153: QB, Eli Holstein: Tigers offensive coordinator Mike Bobo offered the Louisiana standout April 12 and he plans to visit the program in June. He could be Auburn's top quarterback target in the class. 

No. 156: WR, Karmello English: Phenix City, Ala., standout who picked up a Tigers offer this spring and attended Auburn's A-Day. It's early but the Tigers appear like they'll be a major factor.

• Like 1

The effort we're putting into the 23 class is wild.  I'm hoping Harsin can put some results on the field and show kids he's the real deal.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/19/2021 at 2:37 PM, toddc said:

No. 153: QB, Eli Holstein: Tigers offensive coordinator Mike Bobo offered the Louisiana standout April 12 and he plans to visit the program in June. He could be Auburn's top quarterback target in the class. 

I have never been bothered by the cow college references so what better school for a Holstein. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4-star Texas O-Lineman has 'awesome' visit to Auburn

ByJASON CALDWELL 21 minutes ago

A 4-star prospect and ranked as the No. 71 player nationally by the 247Sports Composite rankings, offensive lineman Harris Sewell from Permian High in Odessa, Texas made his first-ever visit to a college campus on Tuesday when he traveled to Auburn to check out Bryan Harsin and the Tigers.

Spending time with the coaches, checking out the facilities and getting to know everything and everyone at Auburn, Sewell said he and his family really enjoyed their first look at the Tigers.

“It was awesome,” Sewell said. “It was awesome getting to see everything. I haven’t ever been in a football facility like this.

“All the people were super nice and just the atmosphere here was pretty crazy.”

Planning to be in the state for a trip to Alabama in addition to checking out Auburn, Sewell had to cancel the trip to Tuscaloosa but still wanted to see Auburn. He said he’s glad he did.

“Well I was supposed to come to Alabama this week but then I had to cancel,” Sewell said. “So we just ended up just coming because we already planned it and I wanted to see the campus and stuff.

“Really just the people,” he added of what stood out to him about Auburn. “They were just so nice and welcoming and it was amazing.”

With the message from Auburn about preparing him for the NFL and the new offensive system, Sewell said he also heard about the need for offensive linemen in the coming seasons. That’s something that is a big deal for him.

“I think it is,” Sewell said. “I really want to play as much as I can. Play as much and get to the next level.”

Currently with around 20 offers, Harris has several more visits scheduled during the month of June as he begins to try to narrow things down towards a possible decision. Going to SMU (where his parents went to school), TCU, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Texas, Sewell said he’s just taking things slowly while trying to figure out what he likes and doesn’t like about his schools.

With plans to return to Auburn this fall for an official visit, Harris said it’s the people that have put the Tigers squarely on the map for him following his first visit.

“It’s a small town, kind of like where I’m from,” he said. “The people are kind of like me.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Eason impresses elite 2023 DL

Bryan Matthews • AuburnSports

Senior Editor

AUBURN | Nick Eason played defensive line in the NFL for 10 years, and then coached the position for seven more.

That’s one heck of a selling point to one of the top high school defensive linemen in the 2023 class.

“He’s a great person. He knows what he’s talking about,” said four-star defensive lineman James Smith from Carver in Montgomery, Ala. “He’s just family. He kept on saying it’s about getting to know people and about relationships, and we’re building them.”

Smith expects Auburn to remain a factor in his recruitment, which could last another 18 months. (Bryan Matthews/AuburnSports.com)

Eason, in his first year as Auburn’s defensive line coach, doesn’t have a lot of experience recruiting. But he’s certainly got the personality for it and it showed Tuesday as Smith and his teammate, 2023 defensive end Jaquavious Russaw, both visited Auburn.

“He got me up here and he really came through with what he said: We’re going to have fun, it’s all family and a good relationship,” Smith said.

For Smith, though, it’s that NFL pedigree that really stands out about Eason.

“For me, I feel like it’s a background. I know you know what you’re talking about, basically,” Smith said. “They’re given that recognition. I know you know what you’re talking about.”

As far as the visit goes, Smith singled out the Tigers’ new $91.9 million Football Performance Center, which is currently under construction.

“That really caught my eye,” he said

Smith, 6-foot-4 and 255 pounds, already has more than 20 offers including most of the SEC. He may hold off on a decision for another 18 months, but expects Auburn to factor in with his favorites.

“Of course. They’re right down the street,” said Smith. “I might want to go right down the street or I might want to go 12 hours away. You never know. So they’re definitely a factor. What do they have to do? Just keep doing what they’re doing

• Thanks 1

2023 offensive lineman calls Auburn offer 'amazing'

By JASON CALDWELL 3 minutes ago

Playing for perhaps the most talented high school program in the country at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, Port St. Lucie standout offensive lineman Knijeah Harris already had nearly two dozen offers before making the trip to Auburn on Tuesday for his first look at the Tigers. Calling the visit ‘amazing’, Harris also got the news he was hoping for when he sat down with Coach Bryan Harsin for a one-on-one talk.

“It means a lot, the fact that they waited for me to come in person and offer me,” Harris said. “That’s huge because it feels totally different than any one I’ve gotten before. They’ve all been over calls. It was huge.

“It was amazing and I can’t really explain it (the feeling he got when he heard the news) because I haven’t felt it before.”

Even though he’s a 2023 prospect that still has two years of high school left, Harris got the early offer from Auburn. Normally a program that has waited longer to pull the trigger on prospects in past year, the Tigers didn’t wait on Harris and that’s a big deal for him.

“That’s something that’s huge for me,” he said. “They took the time out to see me in person and go in there with the head coach. That’s amazing.”

Taking a bus trip along with around 50 other prospects from Florida, Harris saw Georgia and Georgia Tech before getting to Auburn on Wednesday. He said being on the Plains showed him something different because of the central location of everything associated with the football program.

“I have only been to a couple (Georgia and Georgia Tech) but compared to the ones I have been to so far, how close everything is together I haven’t seen that before,” Harris said. “It’s great.

“Just the atmosphere. Everything is right here together, the school, the campus, the stadium. It’s great. The atmosphere, I can’t wait to come up on gameday and check out everything.”

On his visit Harris got to sit down with Harsin, Auburn OL coach Will Friend, and former Michigan offensive lineman and current graduate assistant Patrick Kugler to look at what the Tigers are doing on the offensive line. He said that was important for him as got a chance to see inside a program for the first time.

“Really it’s my first time being anywhere because of Covid,” Harris said. “It’s amazing finally seeing things in person and not over Zoom. It’s huge.”

2 hours ago, Paladin said:

University of Auburn ?

From Washington

checks out. 

Talented in-state 2023 defender gets 'great vibe' at Auburn camp

by Jason Caldwell

10 minutes ago

Already with offers from Texas A&M, Marshall, UNLV, Virginia, Virginia Tech and others, 2023 defensive lineman Hunter Osborne from Hewitt-Trussville was at Auburn on Monday to camp with the Tigers and get a feel for Bryan Harsin and the new staff. As part of a packed camp that had to move indoors because of weather, Osborne said the day went well for him overall.

“It was pretty good,” Osborne noted. “Got a lot of coaching, a lot of great feedback. It was a great vibe and experience. Coaches are all humble, and they're just great people.”

Still waiting on an offer, Osborne said the Auburn coaches want him to return to campus so they can spend more time with him. Whether that happens later this month or this fall, he said it’s something he plans to do.

“They want me to come back, come back for another visit, come back for a game, possibly,” Osborne said. “Just stay in touch with them at all times. He told me to keep on calling them every week or so, just stay in touch with them. I'll be back for sure.”

Working as an outside player, Osborne got the chance to spend some time with Auburn assistant Bert Watts. After talking with each other prior to the camp, he said it was great to get some individual instruction from Watts throughout the day.

“He was a great dude, very nice,” Osborne said. “He gave great feedback. He told you what you needed to work on. He also told you what you did well. I like how he explained certain drills, hips, leverage. It was all around a great experience.”

With eight early offers, Osborne has a busy month ahead of him with a trip to Georgia coming up this Thursday. After that he’ll be at UCF on June 11-12, Florida State on the 13th, and later at Alabama and Georgia Tech with plans to try to get to Texas A&M as well. With two years left to play high school football, he said this month is all about getting a good feel for the schools he wants to focus on when he time comes to make a decision.

“Yessir, absolutely, because I like to look for a good education, great coaching staff, and one that can get me to the league,” Osborne said. “Because that's my number one goal and stuff. And as I talk to all the new coaches and everyone I come in contact with, just great interactions. And getting to know them and stuff, I cut my list down.”

With a goal of giving himself more options, Osborne is hoping his camp visits turn into more offers. That didn’t happen on Monday with Auburn but he said he feels like it could come soon. And if it does.

“It would be great,” he said. “An in-state offer, my first in-state offer, it would be fantastic. And cuz Auburn, I've watched Auburn since I was a little kid and all, so it would mean a lot to my heart. It would mean a lot to my family and all, growing up Auburn fans and stuff, as well.”

2023 QB

Another 2023 QB

Hunter Osborne DL

Seems like the weekdays are for 2023 unofficial

• Like 2

On 6/8/2021 at 11:09 AM, cole256 said:

So there's no way we can get arch Manning huh?

That boy is going to Alabama or Clemson.  Would love to see Harsin pull him tho.

When he/Bobo works his magic and Bo Nix becomes a serviceable QB, we're gonna have a stew going with QB recruiting. hah

Edited by W.E.D

29 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

That boy is going to Alabama or Clemson.  Would love to see Harsin pull him tho.

When he/Bobo works his magic and Bo Nix becomes a serviceable QB, we're gonna have a stew going with QB recruiting. hah

If they can make Bo into a good QB that's marketing money can't even buy. Before us this QB couldn't play basic ball after us he's a college QB

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If they can make Bo into a good QB that's marketing money can't even buy. Before us this QB couldn't play basic ball after us he's a college QB

Exactly