2023 Early Offers & Talk

toddc

Talented 2023 in-state linebacker gets Auburn offer

By JASON CALDWELL 14 minutes ago

A talented 2023 in-state linebacker that already had offers from Arizona State, Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, Oregon and Tennessee, Jackson-Olin standout Eric Muse was invited to Auburn’s Big Cat Weekend on Sunday but he didn’t expect to get the news he received from Auburn LB Coach Jeff Schmedding.

Sitting down and talking about the program and what they were looking for in a linebacker, Schmedding offered the 6-0, 205 Muse a scholarship and the news hit like a boulder to the upcoming junior.

“I just got an offer from Auburn and I’m feeling good about it,” Muse said. “We were just having a conversation and it came out of the blue. I was shocked. I wasn’t expecting that. I expected to come here and just go back home. It came out of the blue.”

The next in what has been a steady stream of big-time prospects out of Jackson-Olin under the guidance of Coach Tim Vakakes, Muse said for him the news is something that is a big deal to him.

“I feel excited,” Muse said. “The (staff) is fun and very competitive. They’ve got good personalities.”

Growing up an Alabama fan, Muse said Auburn is a place he wants to learn more about as he continues to build a relationship with Bryan Harsin’s new staff on the Plains.

“I want to come back for sure,” Muse said. “I still have two more years so I’m trying to stay patient.”

Hoover cornerback prospect enjoys deep dig into Auburn program

by Jason Caldwell

15 minutes ago

A player who picked up an offer from the Auburn Tigers in June, Hoover 2023 cornerback prospect Dale Miller was back on the Plains for Big Cat Weekend on Sunday to spend time with Coach Bryan Harsin and the new staff. Having already made a trip to Auburn in June to see everything, Miller said coming back for a different experience was a big deal for him.

“It felt good just going around and seeing how the coaches really coach people and how they care about their players,” Miller said. “We got to see what they think and what they do in practices. It was good.

“This one showed me really how they think,” he added. “It showed me how Auburn runs their program. The first time I was here it was just scratching the surface but now it runs deep. I actually see how they think.”

Part of the experience for Miller was having the chance to sit down with Auburn defensive coordinator Derek Mason as well as assistant Zac Etheridge. The two guys in charge of Auburn’s secondary heading into the 2021 season definitely made an impact on Miller.

“That was building a chemistry between us,” he said of the visit. “That made things a lot better between us. Auburn is really a spot I want to come to.”

Currently with 10 offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Boston College, Louisville, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Tennessee, UAB and USC, Miller said at the moment it’s Auburn, Tennessee and Mississippi State that are standing out for him as he prepares to take some visits this fall to see teams play in person.

As for the teams he wants to see in person, Miller said Auburn, Tennessee, Florida and Alabama are on his bucket list to see this fall.

16 minutes ago, Paladin said:

Plays with his hands well and seems to have good power. Don't know about competition level, but he definitely overwhelms the OT he plays against.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Plays with his hands well and seems to have good power. Don't know about competition level, but he definitely overwhelms the OT he plays against.

Warner Robins in the pass played against excellent competition. Its also were James Brooks played HS. They play Northside Warner Robins yearly which is were Patrick Nix played and his dad Conrad coached. Lots of history in that town for football.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Warner Robins in the pass played against excellent competition. Its also were James Brooks played HS. They play Northside Warner Robins yearly which is were Patrick Nix played and his dad Conrad coached. Lots of history in that town for football.

It's wild driving through that area and then this town with this huge high school stadium pops up out of nowhere and then you blink and it's nothing but peach farms. Drove through yesterday actually.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's wild driving through that area and then this town with this huge high school stadium pops up out of nowhere and then you blink and it's nothing but peach farms. Drove through yesterday actually.

I believe it use to have a huge military base located there not sure anymore

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

I believe it use to have a huge military base located there not sure anymore

Robins AFB is still open.

• Thanks 1

Unlike some of the highlight film where the player on the highlight reel is much bigger then the people he is playing against, Burley's opponents are also big young men. He has seems to be the complete package good size for his age, quick first step, uses his hands well and finished with a authority.

As well as he is playing he must be from Texas where the coaching are so good he has already peaked

Sorry I had to be a little sarcastic for the posters who always say the Texas players have peaked in HS and will not get better.

This young man would be a huge get and is perfect for the Mason D where he wants players who can play inside or outside on the D-Line. Based on past history the teams in this area are all tough so he is doing this against really solid competition which makes it more impressive.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Big Cat Weekend already paying dividends 

4-star Florida DE: 'I like Auburn a lot'

by Nathan King

70 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama — The Tigers are attempting to get in the mix for the recruitment of a four-star defender who's been heavily pursued by schools in Florida and Georgia.

Defensive end Kaven Call, a top-50 defensive lineman in the class of 2023, was on the Plains over the weekend for Auburn's Big Cat recruiting event. The Apopka High School (Apopka, Fla.) product has spent his summer camping at Sunshine State programs like Miami and UCF, as well as visiting the Knights, Georgia, Georgia Tech and now Auburn.

Sunday marked Call's first trip to Auburn.

"It was really great," Call said. "I love the facilities, I love the coaches. It went really great."

Call spent time Sunday with defensive line coach Nick Eason and defensive coordinator Derek Mason, relaxing and enjoying the activities at the event, while also talking to the coaches about his football future and why he'd be a good fit with the Tigers. Auburn offered Call in May 2020.

Call is currently rated as the No. 42 defensive lineman in the 2023 class.

His visit to Auburn was the second for Call at a program's primary summer recruiting event. He also attended UCF's Bounce House Weekend. Gus Malzahn's team could be one to watch moving forward, as Apopka is 40 minutes from UCF's campus, and Call's sister will attend the school starting this fall.

Call has also recently been offered by Florida State and could take a visit there, too.

Where does Auburn stand for the four-star defensive end following Big Cat? Call hasn't yet thought about trimming down his list of schools, he said, and he wants to continue to do his due diligence and take his visits.

However, his recruitment will continue to heavily involve Auburn, he said. Call said he and his family want to get down to Jordan-Hare Stadium for a game in the fall, and possibly another visit after that.

"I don't have any favorites right now — I'm still taking my visits and figuring things out," Call said. "But I will say I like Auburn a lot, and I like Georgia a lot."

Auburn's most recent pull from Apopka High School was fullback Chandler Cox, who is now in the NFL with the Dolphins.

• Like 1

Goes with the article that Paladin just posted above. BCW strikes again!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Paladin said:

4-star Florida DE: 'I like Auburn a lot'

by Nathan King

70 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama — The Tigers are attempting to get in the mix for the recruitment of a four-star defender who's been heavily pursued by schools in Florida and Georgia.

Defensive end Kaven Call, a top-50 defensive lineman in the class of 2023, was on the Plains over the weekend for Auburn's Big Cat recruiting event. The Apopka High School (Apopka, Fla.) product has spent his summer camping at Sunshine State programs like Miami and UCF, as well as visiting the Knights, Georgia, Georgia Tech and now Auburn.

Sunday marked Call's first trip to Auburn.

"It was really great," Call said. "I love the facilities, I love the coaches. It went really great."

Call spent time Sunday with defensive line coach Nick Eason and defensive coordinator Derek Mason, relaxing and enjoying the activities at the event, while also talking to the coaches about his football future and why he'd be a good fit with the Tigers. Auburn offered Call in May 2020.

Call is currently rated as the No. 42 defensive lineman in the 2023 class.

His visit to Auburn was the second for Call at a program's primary summer recruiting event. He also attended UCF's Bounce House Weekend. Gus Malzahn's team could be one to watch moving forward, as Apopka is 40 minutes from UCF's campus, and Call's sister will attend the school starting this fall.

Call has also recently been offered by Florida State and could take a visit there, too.

Where does Auburn stand for the four-star defensive end following Big Cat? Call hasn't yet thought about trimming down his list of schools, he said, and he wants to continue to do his due diligence and take his visits.

However, his recruitment will continue to heavily involve Auburn, he said. Call said he and his family want to get down to Jordan-Hare Stadium for a game in the fall, and possibly another visit after that.

"I don't have any favorites right now — I'm still taking my visits and figuring things out," Call said. "But I will say I like Auburn a lot, and I like Georgia a lot."

Auburn's most recent pull from Apopka High School was fullback Chandler Cox, who is now in the NFL with the Dolphins.

Duke Cox old high school

• Like 1

2023 prospect turning heads on and off the field

ByJASON CALDWELL 19 minutes ago

When he stepped on the field for one of Auburn’s summer camps this past June, former Tiger and current Loachapoka assistant coach Jeff Klein pointed out Jacorious Hart as a player to watch. A 6-2, 175 cornerback in the 2023 class that has the ability to turn and run and plays the ball well when it’s in the air, Hart showcased his skill set that day on the Plains. It earned him an invite to last week’s Big Cat Weekend at Auburn, something he said was a big deal for him.

Already with offers from UAB and Jacksonville State, Hart got an opportunity to see what Auburn was all about and also rub shoulders with other prospects from around the region.

“It was unexpected and surprising,” Hart said of his chance to take part in the event. “The message from them was just ‘1-0’. To practice everyday with that mentality and win everything.”

A prospect that is just scratching the surface of his ability on the field, Hart still has plenty of room to grow into his body and that will only help his game as he gets more physical. That’s something the Auburn coaches said they wanted to see as they keep an eye on him this fall for his junior season.

Spending much of his day with Zac Etheridge learning more about him as a person and also want this coaching staff wants out of its players, Hart said that was a highlight of the day for him.

“He was wild,” Hart said. “Wilder than I thought, and Coach (Derek) Mason was really wild. They just had a lot of energy.”

Planning to come to a game or two at Auburn and also wanting to see games at both Jacksonville State and UAB as well, Hart will try to fit those into a busy schedule. In addition to playing and going to school at Loachapoka, Hart will be dual enrolled at Auburn University to begin taking college level courses. With a 4.3 GPA and all A’s heading into his junior year, he’s already looking forward and getting a head start on his college career academically.

2023 Georgia DT becoming frequent Auburn visitor

VIP By NATHAN KING 15 minutes ago

Ka'Shawn Thomas has visited Auburn three times since in-person recruiting opened back up, and the Peach State product doesn't expect to stop making the trip anytime soon.

• Love 1

Versatile ATH Carter loves 'vibe' of Auburn staff

Brian Stultz • AuburnSports

Staff

AUBURN | There's already a major fight going on between high-level programs looking to get the signature of Lewis Carter with the 2023 athlete holding 26 offers including Auburn, Florida, Georgia and LSU. If the Tampa native chooses Auburn, there possibly could be a big scrum in the Tigers locker room.

Oh, it has nothing to do with playing time or a beef with another player. It would be a battle between two coaches: Cadillac Williams and Jeff Schmedding.

“He [Cadillac] wants me on the offensive side of the ball,” Carter said with a laugh during Big Cat Weekend. “It was great. He gets mad when I talk to the defensive coach because he wants me running the ball for him.”

Carter currently holds 26 offers including Auburn, Georgia and LSU. (Rivals.com)

If Williams wants you in his backfield, you must have talent. The Tigers are known to produce high-quality backs including Cadillac himself and currently have Tank Bigsby and incoming four-star Jarquez Hunter along with Shaun Shivers this season and received a commitment from four-star Damari Alston for the 2022 class just this past weekend. The point is, even if Bigsby goes pro following next season, the Tigers’ backfield will be crowded.

Williams is still fairly green at the position, seeing just six total carries as a sophomore in 2020 after a freshman season in which he rushed for 528 yards and five touchdowns on 46 carries. He also has experience returning kicks, so the coaches in the program that he decides on will have plenty of options with him.

It’s at linebacker where the 6-foot, 200-pound Williams shined for Tampa Catholic High School this past season. A hard-hitting player that flies around at intense speed, Williams was a tackling machine as a sophomore, recording 80 total stops including eight tackles for a loss in 10 games.

Fighting for him will also be defensive coordinator Derek Mason, who Williams got to know during his first visit to the Plains on Sunday. The energy that Mason and the rest of the new coaching staff showed during the recruiting event.

“The vibe from all the coaches and the players and stuff like that, they just seemed like a family up here today. It was a great conversation because I really don't know what I will end up playing by the time I get here.

As far as his goals for the upcoming season with the Crusaders, Williams responded just how you would expect from a linebacker and running back.

“Just trying to hit some people.”

Certainly Mason, Williams and Schmedding love that attitude.

• Like 1

Since Big Cat I am seeing a lot more activity on this board where players both from 2022 and 2023 are showing interest in Auburn. All are talking about how cool the coaches are and how all the coaches impressed them.  Some is just because of the high players get when you get a bunch together and they have fun but I really think Big Cat will pay dividends down the road.

Now lets put a good to great and always competitive product on the field this year and hopefully flesh out the 2022 class and get a great jump on the 2023 class.

• Like 4

Nation's top linebacker in 2023 class has 'awesome' visit with Auburn

by Jason Caldwell

65 minutes ago

Already a 4-star prospect for the 2023 class and the No. 1 linebacker in the country according to 247Sports, Tausili Akana had heard plenty about the Auburn Tigers before his visit to the Plains on Wednesday to check out Bryan Harsin’s program. Coming all the way from Kahuku, Hawaii, the 6-4, 225 Akana said his first experience on the Plains was a good one.

“I had a teacher last year, she’s an alum here,” Akana said. “She told me she played basketball here. Everyday when I came into class after she found out I had a couple of offers she would always say ‘it’s not the Auburn offer.’ She would always tell me that I had to come check out Auburn. She doesn’t know I’m here but I’m going to give her the big news.”

As for his impressions of Auburn? Akana said things went very well with him and his dad checking out the campus and facilities and meeting with the coaches.

“It’s awesome,” he said of Auburn. “I know the new project (football only facility) is going to be something special. The people are great. The coaches are great. They all welcomed me when I got here. They were all waiting for me. That was nice.”

With so many players across the country hearing from Auburn, Akana said his main contact with the program to this point has been Director of Recruiting Darren Uscher, who came from Boise State when Harsin was hired and had been in the same role with the Broncos the last five seasons.

“It’s mostly been Darren,” Akana said of his contact with Auburn. “I have been talking to him for a couple of months now. He said I needed to come check it out”

Already with close to three dozen offers from all over the country, Akana said his visit with Auburn on Wednesday was part of a tour of some schools to give him a head start on potential places he wants to visit in the coming months.

“We came in Monday and went to Georgia,” he said. “Tuesday we checked out Tennessee. On Wednesday we drove to Auburn.

“It’s good. I’m just enjoying the process right now. A lot of kids from Hawaii get overlooked. A lot of coaches don’t come out there because it’s pretty far. It’s good for me because I want to represent Hawaii and let everyone know there are ballers out there too.”

Saying that he hopes to get back to Auburn this fall to check out a game, Akana said there are several things that stand out to him about the Tigers now that he’s seen everything in person.

“I would definitely say the people,” Akana said. “The people are phenomenal. They are super cool and nice. They are special.”

• Like 2