Bars We've Been In

On 7/26/2021 at 4:06 PM, Tigermike said:

Buffalo Rose in Golden, Colorado

First trip Bison Burger & draft beer

Second trip Bison Short Ribs & draft beer

On 7/26/2021 at 4:08 PM, Tigermike said:

Buckhorn Exchange Restaurant - Denver, CO

A historic bar and restaurant in Denver.  I've been there three or four times and still haven't tried the Rocky Mountain Oysters.  🙄

Elk steaks and draft beer

Buffalo Prime Rib and draft beer

Better hope you're not wild game or draft beer if Tigermike's in town. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Snake River? We rafted it when we were there. Cold water….

Yes Sir it was the Snake River we camped close to.   Laying in the sleeping bag and watching the Milky Way go by was a nice way to go to sleep.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Tiger Refuge said:

There are at least a half dozen additional stories buried in this….

34EB617E-6390-43E5-8E0F-B2DCD8241098.gif

You know, there actually aren't. I had a girlfriend that summer. Who was also there with me. She was adventurous, but it still limited my stories

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You know, there actually aren't. I had a girlfriend that summer. Who was also there with me. She was adventurous, but it still limited my stories

Your story reminded me of the time me and a few friends destroyed a couple of 30 packs with our new friend Sam Two Shields(Lakota Sioux) in his basement one night. 

Well, technically he claimed one of those 30 packs. We split the rest. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Your story reminded me of the time me and a few friends destroyed a couple of 30 packs with our new friend Sam Two Shields(Lakota Sioux) in his basement one night. 

Well, technically he claimed one of those 30 packs. We split the rest. 

Yup.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Lots of folks finding themselves. Lots of other folks trying not to be found.

Why does that sound like a Jimmy Buffett lyric?

Come to think of it this thread title sounds like one of his Albums. 

Edited by gr82be
  • Haha 2

@LKEEL75 mentioned Arkansas in another thread and it reminded me of when a buddy and I paddled 45 mi of the Buffalo and then went and stayed a night at a Holiday Inn near Horseshoe Lake that a cousin of his managed. TL;DR free hotel room to get cleaned up after several days on the river. Turns out that town was dry and the only place we could get a beer was the VFW. Get there and the only dude close to our age- everyone else was a Vietnam guy or even served in one of the earlier conflicts- pounces on us for conversation. Insisted on buying our beers. He had lost a leg in the Middle East but was a trick skier. I believe he said he medaled in the Special Olympics, but I don't trust my memory on that, and even if my memory is solid, I don't trust his. Anyway, that ended up being a very interesting hang somewhere in Arkansas. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

40 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

@LKEEL75 mentioned Arkansas in another thread and it reminded me of when a buddy and I paddled 45 mi of the Buffalo and then went and stayed a night at a Holiday Inn near Horseshoe Lake that a cousin of his managed. TL;DR free hotel room to get cleaned up after several days on the river. Turns out that town was dry and the only place we could get a beer was the VFW. Get there and the only dude close to our age- everyone else was a Vietnam guy or even served in one of the earlier conflicts- pounces on us for conversation. Insisted on buying our beers. He had lost a leg in the Middle East but was a trick skier. I believe he said he medaled in the Special Olympics, but I don't trust my memory on that, and even if my memory is solid, I don't trust his. Anyway, that ended up being a very interesting hang somewhere in Arkansas. 

Good story

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rainy day here reminds me of going to a pub in SoHo (London) with McWifey. We'd spent a few days each in Paris, Brussels and London by then and we just kinda needed to sit a while and have some beers. Don't remember the name of the pub, but it wasn't one of the dark, heavy wood ones. It was more white tile floor, lots of brass, big windows. It was fairly crowded and lively. Anyway, it started raining outside. I don't remember whether it was me or her that said, "Is it okay if I read?" Whoever said it, the other agreed enthusiastically, and we proceeded to just sit there and read our books (Kindles?) and drink beers for hours. We'd kept our books on us just in case. It was so nice. 

• Like 2

In a great little bar called KCs East Saloon in nowhere Nebraska. More in the walkabout thread later vut thos is pretty cool hole in wall. Only thing open after 9 for at least 20 miles.  My kinda folks

• Like 3

14 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

In a great little bar called KCs East Saloon in nowhere Nebraska. More in the walkabout thread later vut thos is pretty cool hole in wall. Only thing open after 9 for at least 20 miles.  My kinda folks

Love the name. Sounds like it's been there for a hundred years.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

In a great little bar called KCs East Saloon in nowhere Nebraska.

there are a lot of nowhere's in Nebraska and those folks can drink........

• Like 2

In London for work about 9 years ago and got the opportunity to take a special tour of the Tower of London.   Was invited by the Yoeman Warders after the tour to stop by Yoeman’s personal pub on property for a few pints.   Ended up closing the place down with the fellas and had some good laughs.  

• Like 2

Man, my bar/pub crawling days are pretty much behind me now...will have to flip through the mental Rolodex.

Most of mine would be college town bars, since college football was my excuse to travel.

Eskimo Joe's in Stillwater, Rusty's Last Chance in Manhattan, KS, Purple Porpoise in Gainesville, Dixie Chicken and Duddley's Draw in College Station, Rock Bottom Brewery in Des Moines. Left my ATM card at Rusty's and it never did surface...fortunately, I canceled it before any financial havoc could be wreaked.

Rumrunner in Pensacola used to have $6 cover and free well drinks on Wednesdays...took full advantage of that a few times.

Can't remember the name of the place I went to in Asheville a couple of years ago, but the food and drink was really good...side note, could easily retire in Asheville.

Strutting Duck and WESC were my go-tos while in school. The Duck had 75 cent refills for a big-assed mug that you could buy. Bright yellow...the on-site laundry room was a nice touch, too.

Nice thread...apologies for the scattershooting. 

• Like 2

On 7/27/2021 at 2:46 PM, McLoofus said:

Makes me think of the Northern Lights Saloon in Polebridge, MT. Not sure what it's like up there now but in the late 90s it had no electricity and the fridges ran off a generator. Polebridge was an artist colony with 25 year-round residents at the time. Given the Jackson (Hole) discussion, I'd be surprised if there aren't luxury properties springing up around there now. Looooong dirt road through the woods to get there. Was having a great time until a bee stung my upper lip. Swole up to the size of a golf ball. Looked weird as hell for a few days. 

Kip's was our main hang, though. Right outside the St. Mary's gate to Glacier. Very interesting crowd. That part of the park is on Blackfeet land, so plenty of them around. (The Blackfeet were a notoriously violent tribe back in the day and reservation life hasn't been any easier on them than any other tribe.) It was also next to a trailer park. And then there were all the college kids and ultra weirdo resort service industry lifers, who worked national parks in the summer and ski resorts in the winter, from all over the country. Lots of folks finding themselves. Lots of other folks trying not to be found. Karaoke night was awesome. Mainly because of Danny. He was a Blackfoot with a huge mustache who lived in the adjacent trailer park. He had a really loud, deep, nasally voice and liked to randomly yell, "JULIO!!!" (Mind you, Julio Jones had not yet been born.) Once, while we stood outside holding up the wall, an attractive girl walked by and he said, "I sure would like to make her fart!" Danny smoked bad weed out of whichever beer can he'd just emptied. Don't ask me how I know or how I know which trailer was his. I think he ran for mayor of that little town. I don't think he won. But here's the thing. Back to karaoke. Danny sang like a damned angel. I'm not kidding. Just this effortless, smooth baritone. Like, if you could picture the cowboy that you want singing the songs around the campfire after a long day's ride, it was him, 100%. Legend. 

A guy got knifed in Kip's that summer. Didn't die, though. 

Haven't thought about Kip's or Danny in years. Thread achievement unlocked!

Swollen lip from a bee sting...yeah, sure, is that what you told your wife?  Did she buy it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lived two blocks from the famous Lions Lair on Colfax in Denver. Great great punk bar. Saw great shows there and stumbled home or across the street to Pete's Kitchen for 24hr greek breakfast - I miss it all the time.

image.png

John Doe

image.png

• Like 3

Went to the most interesting bar the other night. We heard it was a great dive bar. Well, it was sort of divey in terms of atmosphere, but the room was actually very clean and well appointed. The interesting part is that it was exclusively Latino except it's attached to a Hungarian restaurant with Hungarian owners. So, like, you're drinking with the hombres and staring right into the dining room where they're serving goulash. 

They have dartboards and everyone is super nice so next date night we're gonna go have Hungarian dinner and then have some beers and throw some darts.

Went to a bar last night that I would recommend to anyone.  Murphy's Pub & Grill in Rapid City, SD.  Had good food.  Live music (it was a friday) and good cold beer.  They had several local brews on tap as well as many of the common ones.  Great service as well.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The White Buffalo Bar....Marathon TX.  One small main street. Marathon is the gateway to West TX hunting country and just outside Big Bend Nat and State Parks.  Close to Marfa or Valentine if you've heard of those wide spots in the road....good Whiskey menu, food and interesting people

20210920_204100.jpg

20210920_163124.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Since we're doing pictures: Here's one I forgot to mention earlier. The Desert Inn at Yee Haw Junction, Florida. In earlier times they had "Friendly" girls there with rooms upstairs and slot machines. All that went away after the roads were paved and electricity came in. That rattlesnake skin on the wall measured 7' 3", the largest I've ever seen. Sadly, an 18 wheeler crashed through the building about a year ago and the place is closed, probably for good.

No photo description available.

• Like 3

The Clermont was the last stop of my bachelor party. Got a lapdance from Blondie. I have a crushed PBR can with a poem she wrote on it. Anyone on FB should be able to see the link below. (It's Mick Jagger on stage last night in Atlanta talking about Blondie crushing cans at the Clermont.)

https://fb.watch/9ekqGV0sjw/

Also took a girl there on a first date. My god, she had all the right things in all the right places. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The Clermont was the last stop of my bachelor party. Got a lapdance from Blondie. I have a crushed PBR can with a poem she wrote on it. Anyone on FB should be able to see the link below. (It's Mick Jagger on stage last night in Atlanta talking about Blondie crushing cans at the Clermont.)

https://fb.watch/9ekqGV0sjw/

Also took a girl there on a first date. My god, she had all the right things in all the right places. 

Clermont, girl, 1st date.  May God have mercy on your soul.

The  Clermont was the last stop on everyone's party.  In the words of Mick Jagger "it smelled of sex and suicide".

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Clermont, girl, 1st date.  May God have mercy on your soul.

The  Clermont was the last stop on everyone's party.  In the words of Mick Jagger "it smelled of sex and suicide".

Sex and suicide. That sounds about right. As for that first date... it didn't end in suicide.

"But those were different days."

Most of the bachelor parties I went to in ATL ended up at the fancy strip clubs. Can't say they were boring, per se, but they weren't as fun as the  Clermont. 

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Since we're doing pictures: Here's one I forgot to mention earlier. The Desert Inn at Yee Haw Junction, Florida. In earlier times they had "Friendly" girls there with rooms upstairs and slot machines. All that went away after the roads were paved and electricity came in. That rattlesnake skin on the wall measured 7' 3", the largest I've ever seen. Sadly, an 18 wheeler crashed through the building about a year ago and the place is closed, probably for good.

No photo description available.

I stopped there back in the late 70's everyone should go thru Yee Haw Junction once in their life. Learned the hard way not to go that route in May or Sept.

• Haha 2