Black in America

homersapien

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Does anyone else find it extremely strange that @icanthearyou facepalmed these two post?  What exactly is there to oppose with the two?

Don't worry about it bird.  I frequently get facepalmed or laughed at - typically by the same group - for just repeating well-documented facts, like most BLM protests were peaceful.

We live in a post-factual society.  When presented with such facts, some people just resort to conspiracy theories, like all media are collaborating to lie to us. :rolleyes:

You cannot reason with such people. 

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Does anyone else find it extremely strange that @icanthearyou facepalmed these two post?  What exactly is there to oppose with the two?

I wouldn't worry about it. That poster brings zero value to the forum. 

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

Don't worry about it bird.  I frequently get facepalmed or laughed at - typically by the same group - for just repeating well-documented facts, like most BLM protests were peaceful.

We live in a post-factual society.  When presented with such facts, some people just resort to conspiracy theories, like all media are collaborating to lie to us. :rolleyes:

You cannot reason with such people. 

Was it that "most BLM protests were peaceful" or they were "mostly peaceful protests"? Or do you think both mean the same thing?

Facts and all.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

this will go over like a turd in a punch bowl but sometimes we mistake black anger for racism and while they might look alike i do not believe they are the same thing. people get these confused.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Was it that "most BLM protests were peaceful" or they were "mostly peaceful protests"? Or do you think both mean the same thing?

Facts and all.

they were both grumps. black churches took to the streets and some groups bused in trouble. even the black protesters were scared and i posted an article of one group trapped under a bridge but it has been a minute............

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 9:48 PM, cole256 said:

Racism can only manifest when there is power.

Some people will just argue anything, everybody knows that the south has more catching up than most other parts of the country. And why that's so is common sense. Trying to argue that is just a person going out of their way just to say racism is more made up than anything.

I agree it's from all sides, I can't speak for everybody of course but from what I've seen people mistrust white people more so than anything.

From what I see when somebody white just shows the minimum of embracing and wanting to understand black people they are accepted very quickly. Like the young lady Paige beickers (sp) who played for uconn.

My old roommate at Auburn, was absolutely loved by the girls basketball team and guys in the ACT just because of his swag when he played basketball. 

My grandfather wouldn't let me spend the night or go to my white friends houses because he didn't trust it and didn't want me to be hurt. When it was time to go to college he didn't have a problem at all with my white roommate. They joked and talked when he called and stuff. 

I agree completely that the hate will slowly die off. I pray my children don't have to endure what I did, and I'm sure I didn't endure half of what my mom did......it's like one of the famous sayings in the nuclear world.....dilution is the solution! 😀

The other thing is for people that aren't racist to make it uncomfortable for the people that are in their group. As long as they are silent or argue points that coincide with racist they will be content in being who they are.

i spent four years in dc and i was shocked how racist they were up there. they just hide it better. i doubt it has changed.

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i spent four years in dc and i was shocked how racist they were up there. they just hide it better. i doubt it has changed.

Illinois is always talked about being a blue state and stuff but that's just because of Chicago, the state is really filled with a bunch of hate central to southern Illinois. It's all over but I haven't experienced anything like I have in Pulaski Tennessee and Mississippi. But yes it's all over

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Illinois is always talked about being a blue state and stuff but that's just because of Chicago, the state is really filled with a bunch of hate central to southern Illinois. It's all over but I haven't experienced anything like I have in Pulaski Tennessee and Mississippi. But yes it's all over

i honestly fear this country will divide one day and there will be no going back. people are becoming less educated and becoming more base if that makes any sense. personally i wish everyone could spend one or two years in the military so all races have to deal with each other. i was an army brat in germany in the late sixites and i can tell you there were very few racists with the kids. the older germans hated all americans so we were like allies. but when you are in the military and your life depends on the person next to you you learn them pretty quick. i know i am sick of it.if i see it rear it's ugly head i will comment of if i am someone elses i will leave. but a lot of musicians are different.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

i honestly fear this country will divide one day and there will be no going back. people are becoming less educated and becoming more base if that makes any sense. personally i wish everyone could spend one or two years in the military so all races have to deal with each other. i was an army brat in germany in the late sixites and i can tell you there were very few racists with the kids. the older germans hated all americans so we were like allies. but when you are in the military and your life depends on the person next to you you learn them pretty quick. i know i am sick of it.if i see it rear it's ugly head i will comment of if i am someone elses i will leave. but a lot of musicians are different.

From what I can see, it was a problem in the armed forces too. Or I guess I should say Navy. I just wish it was a way people had to walk in others shoes. But it's not, and right now when you try to discuss it, it's automatically lies or blaming problems on others and with this generation it's actually get offended to talk about it.

2 hours ago, Grumps said:

Facts and all.

:-\   Well, how would you say it,  and why?

Edited by homersapien

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

From what I can see, it was a problem in the armed forces too. Or I guess I should say Navy. I just wish it was a way people had to walk in others shoes. But it's not, and right now when you try to discuss it, it's automatically lies or blaming problems on others and with this generation it's actually get offended to talk about it.

i was in the navy and my best friend was tony phillips from right by three mile island. he was older and i was seventeen and he watched my back. tony was black and he jumped over a counter and snatched up another black man because of something he did not like about me. i have never forgotten that. we were friends. it was not color it was friendship. and he scared that other cat so bad he never said another word to me. but tony was a great guy and we listened to weather report and new birth and all the dance bands. it was great. i still listen to been such a long time. my point is if i had not been in the service that would never have happened. not one shred of racial tension.

• Like 1

Just now, aubiefifty said:

i was in the navy and my best friend was tony phillips from right by three mile island. he was older and i was seventeen and he watched my back. tony was black and he jumped over a counter and snatched up another black man because of something he did not like about me. i have never forgotten that. we were friends. it was not color it was friendship. and he scared that other cat so bad he never said another word to me. but tony was a great guy and we listened to weather report and new birth and all the dance bands. it was great. i still listen to been such a long time. my point is if i had not been in the service that would never have happened. not one shred of racial tension.

thinking a little more i might have just got lucky. but it changed me completely.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

this will go over like a turd in a punch bowl but sometimes we mistake black anger for racism and while they might look alike i do not believe they are the same thing. people get these confused.

I do agree with this. Anger can bring out an exaggerated ugly side in people. ..Then again,  it can also tell the story from the git go......It takes years to understand a person and the intentions in there souls...unfortunately, not many take the time, so they take face value.....im guilty myself, but I can only imagine, that if we took the time to understand our neighbors, and respect our differences...we would be in an awesome place!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, homersapien said:

:-\   Well, how would you say it,  and why?

It doesn't matter how I would say it. It matters how CNN actually said it and how the protests actually were.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

While travelling thru Southern IN recently, i saw more Faux CBF than in N AL. They were everywhere south of Bloomington.

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

My time in the Nuclear Navy was very different. It was easily integrated in the Early 80s. At least that is what I saw. I could see that not transferring into the non-Nuke and surface Navy however.

9 hours ago, Grumps said:

CNN-Mostly-Peaceful-scaled.jpg?resize=64

So the first thing to ask is what is the standard for determining if a protest is peaceful or not. Opinion doesn't count, only a measurement against that standard counts for me. 

Edited by creed

On 8/16/2021 at 8:33 PM, aubiefifty said:

My best friend in the Navy was Kevin Smith from Brooklyn, a black guy I have been trying to reunite with for a long time. We clicked from day one. 

3 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

My best friend in the Navy was Kevin Smith from Brooklyn, a black guy I have been trying to reunite with for a long time. We clicked from day one. 

they used to have an outfit in the navy that would help you track down old military buddys but it was back in the seventies. i bet they quit doing it.

12 hours ago, Grumps said:

Man, you are easily manipulated.  One photo and thousands of protests were all violent?  :laugh:

Here you go Grumps:

grayscale photo of rally

grayscale photo of man in black jacket holding black smartphone

people in white and red helmet and white helmet during daytime

grayscale photo of people holding white and black t-shirt

Why are you determined to push the myth that all BLM protests were violent Grumps? 

Do you think black people had any justification for expressing their constitutional right to protest?

While I doubt you are racist, such a position certainly implies you might be. :no: Are you just trying to fit in?

Edited by homersapien
  • Thanks 1

I think Grumps and the rest of the world were mocking CNN for trying, badly, to paint a violent protest that ended in destruction of property and fires as...peaceful. I promise, the people that had their careers, businesses, homes taken from them thought it was anything but peaceful. 

Were the vast majority of the protests peaceful? Yes. But trying to call a protest peaceful WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE FL:AMES of destroyed property was just comedy gold. 

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

I think Grumps and the rest of the world were mocking CNN for trying, badly, to paint a violent protest that ended in destruction of property and fires as...peaceful. I promise, the people that had their careers, businesses, homes taken from them thought it was anything but peaceful. 

Were the vast majority of the protests peaceful? Yes. But trying to call a protest peaceful WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE FL:AMES of destroyed property was just comedy gold. 

Thanks for defending me, but, according to homer, I said that all BLM protests were violent. I'm sure he will quote some post I made as proof that I said that.

I thought the CNN thing was comedy gold as well. I am sure that there is something wrong with us.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

15 hours ago, Grumps said:

Thanks for defending me, but, according to homer, I said that all BLM protests were violent. I'm sure he will quote some post I made as proof that I said that.

I thought the CNN thing was comedy gold as well. I am sure that there is something wrong with us.

You certainly implied that with your posts in response:

On 8/16/2021 at 7:31 PM, Grumps said:

Facts and all.

On 8/17/2021 at 10:54 AM, homersapien said:

To which you responded:

On 8/17/2021 at 9:44 PM, Grumps said:

So no, you didn't actually say all BLM protests were violent, you simply implied it by disputing or countering any statement to the contrary.

That's the sort of tactic one expects from a passive aggressive weasel.