Black in America

homersapien

5 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Don't know what your et al is but that's a pretty wide brush to paint all those states as "amazingly racist".   You sir have no grounds to call me or my state racist.

Gtfoh. He didn't call you racist and if you're not black what qualifications do you have to know how racist a state is?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Gtfoh. He didn't call you racist and if you're not black what qualifications do you have to know how racist a state is?

He named some states and added unnamed states like the whole south is racist. I’m just saying he is wrong. He is entitled to his opinion but that doesn’t make it true. What qualifications does he have to name numerous states as racists states. Does he travel around seeing if he can piss people off and claim it’s because he is black? Is he black? Does it matter?

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, jj3jordan said:

He named some states and added unnamed states like the whole south is racist. I’m just saying he is wrong. He is entitled to his opinion but that doesn’t make it true. What qualifications does he have to name numerous states as racists states. Does he travel around seeing if he can piss people off and claim it’s because he is black? Is he black? Does it matter?

Yes racism matters, and it may be unbelievable to you but when racist do racist things it's not justified. It's hilarious to me how a person can be so fixed in their ways that without even listening they will automatically say it's made up.

Once again, try to use your brain and ask yourself if you aren't black how can you even know? And what is in you so that you would think a entire group of people would make up stuff? You think we get ten bucks every time it's said? 

And you're wrong once again, he didn't say that the entire south is racist, he's saying it's more racist than other regions. I find that to be true also. Most do. Hell even most white people know it to be true. 

It trips me out how some go out of their way to even admit racism even exist......

• Like 2

Bear Bryant, George Wallace, every Southern Baptist preacher I EVER served with, My grandfather, my uncles, my aunts, my coaches, several of my teachers, and Sunday School teachers.

That you don't want to look Truth in the eye, accept it, understand it, and hopefully be transformed by it speaks volumes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1716AU said:

Bear Bryant, George Wallace, every Southern Baptist preacher I EVER served with, My grandfather, my uncles, my aunts, my coaches, several of my teachers, and Sunday School teachers.

That you don't want to look Truth in the eye, accept it, understand it, and hopefully be transformed by it speaks volumes.

Guessing you are in your mid 80's. If correct your stance makes at least a little sense. 

Thank goodness for progress. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

14 hours ago, 1716AU said:

13 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Guessing you are in your mid 80's. If correct your stance makes at least a little sense. 

Thank goodness for progress. 

I am 59, It makes perfect sense to me. 

"Bear Bryant, George Wallace, every Southern Baptist preacher I EVER served with, My grandfather, my uncles, my aunts, my coaches, several of my teachers, and Sunday School teachers."

I would counter that I quit serving with Southern Baptists long ago over some of these same issues, AND MORE, and this is why I am hesitant to even proceed with service with them even today.  Not every SBC pastor is bad, but the majority of the Older-Fundie-Evangelical-HateMongerers are. And then there are just the nut jobs. I pray for PGL, he is so confused and muddled in his own head., and he is leading many astray. I think one day LONG AGO, he was serving God at some level. Today, he is as lost as they come. He has forsaken preaching the Gospel for politics. That is ALWAYS a bad thing. 

Matthew 18:6
but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

Mark 9:42
“Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe to stumble, it would be better for him if, with a heavy millstone hung around his neck, he had been cast into the sea.

Edited by DKW 86

9 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

I am 59, It makes perfect sense to me. 

"Bear Bryant, George Wallace, every Southern Baptist preacher I EVER served with, My grandfather, my uncles, my aunts, my coaches, several of my teachers, and Sunday School teachers."

I would counter that I quit serving with Southern Baptists long ago over some of these same issues, AND MORE, and this is why I am hesitant to even proceed with service with them even today.  Not every SBC pastor is bad, but the majority of the Older-Fundie-Evangelical-HateMongerers are. And then there are just the nut jobs. I pray for PGL, he is so confused and muddled in his own head., and he is leading many astray. I think one day LONG AGO, he was serving God at some level. Today, he is as lost as they come. He has forsaken preaching the Gospel for politics. That is ALWAYS a bad thing. 

Matthew 18:6
but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

Mark 9:42
“Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe to stumble, it would be better for him if, with a heavy millstone hung around his neck, he had been cast into the sea.

Not consistent with my upbringing. Maybe my grandfathers?

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 5:50 PM, cole256 said:

if you're not black what qualifications do you have to know how racist a state is?

Racism sees all colors from all sides. It's not solely towards one group. If it were it would be much easier to illuminate and stomp out. Sadly, the ills of the past will only pass once those brought up in the past have passed.

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

54 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Racism sees all colors from all sides. It's not solely towards one group. If it were it would be much easier to illuminate and stomp out. Sadly, the ills of the past will only pass once those brought up in the past have passed.

Racism can only manifest when there is power.

Some people will just argue anything, everybody knows that the south has more catching up than most other parts of the country. And why that's so is common sense. Trying to argue that is just a person going out of their way just to say racism is more made up than anything.

I agree it's from all sides, I can't speak for everybody of course but from what I've seen people mistrust white people more so than anything.

From what I see when somebody white just shows the minimum of embracing and wanting to understand black people they are accepted very quickly. Like the young lady Paige beickers (sp) who played for uconn.

My old roommate at Auburn, was absolutely loved by the girls basketball team and guys in the ACT just because of his swag when he played basketball. 

My grandfather wouldn't let me spend the night or go to my white friends houses because he didn't trust it and didn't want me to be hurt. When it was time to go to college he didn't have a problem at all with my white roommate. They joked and talked when he called and stuff. 

I agree completely that the hate will slowly die off. I pray my children don't have to endure what I did, and I'm sure I didn't endure half of what my mom did......it's like one of the famous sayings in the nuclear world.....dilution is the solution! 😀

The other thing is for people that aren't racist to make it uncomfortable for the people that are in their group. As long as they are silent or argue points that coincide with racist they will be content in being who they are.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, cole256 said:

The other thing is for people that aren't racist to make it uncomfortable for the people that are in their group.

Or, they should rethink being in that group if it actually includes racists. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cole256 said:

Racism can only manifest when there is power.

Some people will just argue anything, everybody knows that the south has more catching up than most other parts of the country. And why that's so is common sense. Trying to argue that is just a person going out of their way just to say racism is more made up than anything.

I agree it's from all sides, I can't speak for everybody of course but from what I've seen people mistrust white people more so than anything.

From what I see when somebody white just shows the minimum of embracing and wanting to understand black people they are accepted very quickly. Like the young lady Paige beickers (sp) who played for uconn.

My old roommate at Auburn, was absolutely loved by the girls basketball team and guys in the ACT just because of his swag when he played basketball. 

My grandfather wouldn't let me spend the night or go to my white friends houses because he didn't trust it and didn't want me to be hurt. When it was time to go to college he didn't have a problem at all with my white roommate. They joked and talked when he called and stuff. 

I agree completely that the hate will slowly die off. I pray my children don't have to endure what I did, and I'm sure I didn't endure half of what my mom did......it's like one of the famous sayings in the nuclear world.....dilution is the solution! 😀

The other thing is for people that aren't racist to make it uncomfortable for the people that are in their group. As long as they are silent or argue points that coincide with racist they will be content in being who they are.

Quoting you Cole for last reply but first, the OPs topic.

There is absolutely no reason for the police to respond the way they did unless that 911 call was frantic and/or mentioned them being armed. Normal situation would be cops rolling up, doing a welfare check, asking what the dudes were up to, and then telling them to have a nice day.

In Iraq after we had wrecked Saddams whole regime we moved to a 'hearts & minds' mindset. We didn't aim our rifles at anyone that was unarmed and instead kept them at a low ready. We acted friendly and never as an aggressor because our mission at that point was not to dominate and instill fear but to win over the local populace and turn thoughts of the USA positive for these people. It's not that we all magically started to love Iraqis then, it's that it was our mission to try to make them like us.

If we did fire it was minimal shots (usually 2) then we reassess the situation, firing again if needed or getting medical attention to the person shot, since they might have information or some other form of value to us. I never witnessed it happening, but we were all warned of the extreme punishments handed down for what is considered 'overkill', You don't empty a mag into a lone target, that's a big no-no. Not to mention, an over expenditure of ammunition helps guarantee loss of life, and we'd rather have them injured because again alive; they have value to us.

The American civilian has no worth or value to police, and it's obvious that in some PDs their mission is not to engender trust or positive feelings, but to instill fear and that's the problem.

On to your post Cole, you ever been to NY? One of the most racist states I've ever seen, I couldn't believe the way they lived and acted as though it was normal. Passing neighborhoods and it's like 'These are 100% black neighborhoods, those over there are 100% white, those over there are 100% Italian, and those are 100% Jewish' It's like segregation never stopped being a thing up there.

The Southeast states def have their problems with racism, but their problems are highlighted much more often, while I feel like places like NYC get their racist crap glossed over.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Quoting you Cole for last reply but first, the OPs topic.

There is absolutely no reason for the police to respond the way they did unless that 911 call was frantic and/or mentioned them being armed. Normal situation would be cops rolling up, doing a welfare check, asking what the dudes were up to, and then telling them to have a nice day.

In Iraq after we had wrecked Saddams whole regime we moved to a 'hearts & minds' mindset. We didn't aim our rifles at anyone that was unarmed and instead kept them at a low ready. We acted friendly and never as an aggressor because our mission at that point was not to dominate and instill fear but to win over the local populace and turn thoughts of the USA positive for these people. It's not that we all magically started to love Iraqis then, it's that it was our mission to try to make them like us.

If we did fire it was minimal shots (usually 2) then we reassess the situation, firing again if needed or getting medical attention to the person shot, since they might have information or some other form of value to us. I never witnessed it happening, but we were all warned of the extreme punishments handed down for what is considered 'overkill', You don't empty a mag into a lone target, that's a big no-no. Not to mention, an over expenditure of ammunition helps guarantee loss of life, and we'd rather have them injured because again alive; they have value to us.

The American civilian has no worth or value to police, and it's obvious that in some PDs their mission is not to engender trust or positive feelings, but to instill fear and that's the problem.

On to your post Cole, you ever been to NY? One of the most racist states I've ever seen, I couldn't believe the way they lived and acted as though it was normal. Passing neighborhoods and it's like 'These are 100% black neighborhoods, those over there are 100% white, those over there are 100% Italian, and those are 100% Jewish' It's like segregation never stopped being a thing up there.

The Southeast states def have their problems with racism, but their problems are highlighted much more often, while I feel like places like NYC get their racist crap glossed over.

All that's fine, Boston is pretty bad too but nobody said the south has a problem and nobody else does. And this is my point little arguments like this can let actual racist hide and stay comfortable as opposed to just saying yeah it's bad we went to don't call me racist, don't call my state racist, now there's racism in other states. 

Then a back and forth can transpire we'll have other people jumping in, then some will like the stuff for a argument that didn't need to even be had. But then that just allows opportunity for others to hide in the shadows meanwhile the post with the overall thought about equality it will have maybe one like......and of course it being about race there's a 90% chance it will get locked because you can argue about anything else but that......

• Like 1

All that's fine, Boston is pretty bad too but nobody said the south has a problem and nobody else does. And this is my point little arguments like this can let actual racist hide and stay comfortable as opposed to just saying yeah it's bad we went to don't call me racist, don't call my state racist, now there's racism in other states. 

Then a back and forth can transpire we'll have other people jumping in, then some will like the stuff for a argument that didn't need to even be had. But then that just allows opportunity for others to hide in the shadows meanwhile the post with the overall thought about equality it will have maybe one like......and of course it being about race there's a 90% chance it will get locked because you can argue about anything else but that......

I should have just quoted the one line I was responding to from ya, that's my bad. It was the;  "everybody knows that the south has more catching up than most other parts of the country."  part.

I've lived in a good number of states across the country and a few countries across the world. Languages change, accents change, lifestyles change. Hate and ignorance stays with the same stale thought processes regurgitated by idiots everywhere.

I don't agree with your last post here; 

Then a back and forth can transpire we'll have other people jumping in, then some will like the stuff for a argument that didn't need to even be had. But then that just allows opportunity for others to hide in the shadows meanwhile the post with the overall thought about equality it will have maybe one like

I get this topic is more serious, but it reminds me of the Bo Nix stuff on the football forum, in my mind He's a grown man and the QB for Auburn... it's an Auburn forum so we should be able to talk about him in depth. Flaws and all. Good & bad.

And for the political forums I like that several topics will grow out of and evolve from the original post. It would be a much more boring forum if the OP just posted 'racism = bad' and everyone just gave a 👍 to it and no one delved deeper into a discussion.

Maybe you are right and it does give actual racists a convenient niche to hide in... but if they really need to hide all they gotta do is not post, or post on other topics.

On 8/13/2021 at 8:40 PM, bigbird said:

So true. Racism works both ways. The worse and most bigoted racists I have ever met were black.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, PUB78 said:

So true. Racism works both ways. The worse and most bigoted racists I have ever met were black.

I'm not sure of your race, nor do I really care (that's not trying to be rude), but I could imagine a PoC saying the exact same thing but towards whites.  No matter the direction it flows, it's wrong and cancerous to everyone exposed to it.

• Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 8/6/2021 at 12:44 PM, homersapien said:

A Black Army vet toured a house with his real estate agent and teen. Police surrounded the home and handcuffed them.

By Jonathan Edwards
Today at 6:04 a.m. EDT

As a police officer turned Roy Thorne around to cuff his hands behind his back, the 45-year-old father saw the same happening to his 15-year-old son.

Feelings came quickly then to Thorne, who’s Black: rage that his son was being arrested. Humiliation that the teenager had to watch his dad get handcuffed while the whole neighborhood looked on. Confusion about how viewing a house with his real estate agent on a Sunday afternoon could lead to a half-dozen police officers pointing guns at them.

But more than anything: powerlessness. Thorne could do nothing other than obey in a desperate attempt not to die.

“I just felt defeated,” he told The Washington Post. “That’s something you never want your kid to see.”

Thorne and his son were touring a home Sunday with real estate agent Eric Brown, who’s also Black, in Wyoming, Mich., when police suddenly surrounded the house with guns drawn. The officers were responding to a neighbor’s 911 call about a break in. They ordered the three out of the house, handcuffed them and put them in separate vehicles.

Except it wasn’t a break in. Brown, 46, who has been working in the Grand Rapids area market for 20 years, had arrived at the house on Sharon Avenue SW around 2 p.m. Thorne brought his 15-year-old son, Samuel.

Thorne and Brown said they were racially profiled. If they were White, they said, neighbors wouldn’t have called the police. And if they did, some half-dozen officers would not have surrounded the place with guns drawn, the men added.

“A SWAT team is what it felt like,” Brown told The Post.

A captain with the Wyoming Police Department didn’t respond to a request for comment from The Post late Thursday but told a local TV station earlier this week the officers’ response had nothing to do with race.

For two months, Brown has been helping Thorne find a house, and the brick two-story was the latest possibility. For about a half-hour, the two men toured the property, noting features they liked — the size of the master bedroom and front yard — and what they didn’t, like the outdated basement.

Then Samuel, who’d split off to size up his possible future bedroom, rejoined them to report police officers were outside. Thorne looked out and saw two of them armed and communicating only using hand signals. When one of them went to the back of the house, Thorne, an Army veteran, realized they were being surrounded.

He told his son and Brown to get down and stay away from the windows.

Thorne spotted an officer in the backyard and called to him several times through an open window. The officer pointed his gun at Thorne, he said, leading him to duck. He told the officer there were three of them in the house and they were coming out with their hands up. He made sure his son was behind him.

“I was scared,” Thorne said. “I was scared for my son.”

The thought that raced through Brown’s head: “We’re going to die today.”

No one did. Officers commanded them to keep their hands raised until they were cuffed and put in separate vehicles. When Thorne and Brown asked what was happening, officers told them to wait.

Brown explained he was a real estate agent on a scheduled tour. Still handcuffed, he showed them his credentials and said he had a confirmed appointment to show the home. He explained how he had used an app on his phone to access a lockbox with the house key.

That’s when officers realized the mistake and freed Thorne, Brown and his son. Thorne estimated they were in handcuffs for about 20 minutes.

Several officers apologized, and Thorne said he thinks one was genuinely sorry. He said he saw that officer talking with the White couple who called 911. The officer returned to say he had chewed them out, apologized again and left, Thorne said.

The incident lasted about 30 minutes, but Thorne and Brown said its effects will endure well into the future. Thorne said Samuel is “paranoid” about how doing something as banal as touring a house for sale could lead to multiple officers pointing guns at him and his father.

“I don’t get how we were treated as a threat when we’re clearly not one. If we were White, that wouldn’t happen,” Thorne said, noting there had been as many as 40 showings without incident in the three weeks that house had been on the market.

Capt. Timothy Pols, with the Wyoming police, told WOOD-TV that someone had broken into the vacant home on July 24. Officers went to the house and arrested a suspect. They returned Sunday after the neighbor reported another possible break in.

Thorne said he intends to request a recording of the 911 call to see if it explains the police response. Brown said he, too, has questions: Why didn’t police run his license plate? Why didn’t officers announce themselves? Why didn’t they just ring the doorbell?

“I’m just really confused, and it’s … super, super stressful,” Brown said.

The pair is determined to get answers and push for change. They were disappointed, not just in the police response, but that another 911 call led to Black men being handcuffed.

“If you see a crime, report a crime,” Thorne said. “But if you see us just living life the same way you do, just let us do that.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/08/06/black-realtor-michigan-police-handcuffed/

i read this a couple of days ago on yahoo. they claimed they cuffed them for the officers protection. i am sorry but that excuse is just too handy. you are not talking about deranged people here or a frothing at the mouth meth head. this country is in love with violence and we kill each other over stupid things every single day.

45 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm not sure of your race, nor do I really care (that's not trying to be rude), but I could imagine a PoC saying the exact same thing but towards whites.  No matter the direction it flows, it's wrong and cancerous to everyone exposed to it.

there should not be a side to racism it should wrong period. when you takes sides it is a bad look. lets forget about them crackers but what about them racist blacks? it would appear someone has an axe to grind.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 8:40 PM, bigbird said:

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

Does anyone else find it extremely strange that @icanthearyou facepalmed these two post?  What exactly is there to oppose with the two?

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Thanks for asking. I am a proud ,white ,conservative , heterosexual male that loves my God, country , family, Auburn Univeristy and my profession.

• Love 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Does anyone else find it extremely strange that @icanthearyou facepalmed these to post?  What exactly is there to oppose with the two?

nope

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Does anyone else find it extremely strange that @icanthearyou facepalmed these to post?  What exactly is there to oppose with the two?

No.  I think it’s on automatic response no matter the topic.  It’s not a person…it’s a bot.   

1 hour ago, PUB78 said:

Thanks for asking. I am a proud ,white ,conservative , heterosexual male that loves my God, country , family, Auburn Univeristy and my profession.

I'm a bit confused, should I have asked about your race?

FTR, I would consider myself all those things too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1