Hudson sliding down the depth chart?

aubiefifty

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Is Kobe Hudson sliding down the depth chart?

Zac Blackerby

2 minutes

Kobe Hudson appears to be sliding down the depth chart as Auburn football’s fall camp moves forward.

Justin Hokanson of Auburn Live joined the Locked On Auburn podcast and shared some information about the wide receivers. One of his points was that Hudson is not with the starting offense because of Malcolm Johnson Jr.’s solid play.

“Malcolm Johnson Jr, who has not been talked about until (Monday) coincidedentily,” Hokanson said. “Malcolm Johnson Jr. is a freshman 4-star who is very raw. He is getting first-team reps ahead of Kobe Hudson a lot.

“The receiver position is wide open but people just go ‘(Ze’Vian) Capers, (Elijah) Canion, Hudson’ and then maybe Demetris (Robertson) but Malcolm Johnson Jr. is completely in the mix.”

Auburn may be seeing a star in the making with Johnson Jr.’s speed in the mix in this offensive attack.

Hudson dropped a pass in front of the media last week and was also labeled as inconsistent during spring practices. He dropped a catchable in the A-Day game as well.

Contact/Follow us @theauburnwire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. 

• Thanks 1

i see we have more explanation on dropped passes...........

just for the record i hope every single player on the team excels.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Pretty crappy of Blackerby to frame it as Hudson "sliding down the depth chart" instead of Johnson moving up. 

i agree. i posted the disclaimer because some people will try to say i take joy dissing players and it is just not true. auburn will always be my heart. i am wishing right now i could sneak in saturday night and watch the scrimmage.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Pretty crappy of Blackerby to frame it as Hudson "sliding down the depth chart" instead of Johnson moving up. 

You’re exactly right. He’s starting to take the James Crepea approach of negative slants to his reporting. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

You’re exactly right. He’s starting to take the James Crepea approach of negative slants to his reporting. 

Don't tell me the AU beat has a Sith lord/apprentice arrangement. Crepea > Marcello, Marcello > Blackerby, Blackerby > ? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Don't tell me the AU beat has a Sith lord/apprentice arrangement. Crepea > Marcello, Marcello > Blackerby, Blackerby > ? 

I said it with that other bull crap article about the wr's that some just bought into without thinking. Even this article is bull imo. Media saw Hudson drop A pass and he also dropped a pass a few months ago......pitiful. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I said it with that other bull crap article about the wr's that some just bought into without thinking. Even this article is bull imo. Media saw Hudson drop A pass and he also dropped a pass a few months ago......pitiful. 

We have crossed the Rubicon with pre-season practice.  First we are all jonesing for any information and after a couple days, the news becomes dry and repetitive.  The writers have no real info, so they just speculate based on what little they hear.  Other than the scrimmages, we are going to get next to nothing until the first game.  At that point we can move to our respective camps of sunshine pumpers and malcontent complainers.    🙂

War Eagle!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I drop a pass almost 50 years ago playing against Coffee Yellow Jackets still won .

What? You are so inconsistent. That was the only drop in 50 years in the North Alabama region!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Or maybe it's because Hudson falls because he cannot catch?

5 minutes ago, Howard Roark said:

after a couple days, the news becomes dry and repetitive.  The writers have no real info, so they just speculate based on what little they hear.

This isn't just speculation, though. It's very intentionally framed to make one player look bad, even going so far as to call him out in the headline. Take away the headline and it reads like an article about what a great camp Malcolm Johnson is having and then it suddenly, randomly and unnecessarily points out- as @cole256 points out- *two* mistakes that Hudson made.

I'm not sure what Blackerby's issue is but it's a startling hit piece on a player. 

• Like 1

What have we come to, you drop a pass or two and immediately moved down the roster?  Is that how this works?

Just now, fishepa said:

What have we come to, you drop a pass or two and immediately moved down the roster?  Is that how this works?

But here's the thing. Why even say Hudson moved down the roster? Why not say Johnson is moving up it? Particularly when the meat of the article is talking about what a great camp Johnson is having? Blackerby made a choice. I'm really curious why. I suppose it's possible that Harsin is leveraging the beat to motivate a player- it's happened before- but that's a reach.

Maybe it's a mole hill but it rubs me the wrong way.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I drop a pass almost 50 years ago playing against Coffee Yellow Jackets still won .

I was a Guard and Linebacker in HS they knew not to throw to my stone hands. Since I went to Auburn maybe Blackerby can write an article about my stone hands. It would be as relevant as this article. a couple more articles where he disses players and I would cut him out of being allowed to even come into the 30 minute drills that press is allowed into.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

But here's the thing. Why even say Hudson moved down the roster? Why not say Johnson is moving up it? Particularly when the meat of the article is talking about what a great camp Johnson is having? Blackerby made a choice. I'm really curious why. I suppose it's possible that Harsin is leveraging the beat to motivate a player- it's happened before- but that's a reach.

Maybe it's a mole hill but it rubs me the wrong way.

I agree. And some of these media people just still are learning their craft. Not sure how experienced Blackerby is in writing. Hopefully he's getting the right feedback to learn from this. 

Ofc, there are writers(Han, the guy that wrote for AL.Com that went to SMU, and others) who don't have the etiquette, but just think like they write which comes across wrong.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Hopefully he's getting the right feedback to learn from this. 

I guess it's worth hoping for, but @Gowebb11 is right that there has been a trend of this starting with Jimmy the Creep. And those folks, as you also point out, have all fallen right up the stairs. 

1 minute ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Sounds like some positive noise for Jet Johnson!!!  I can dig that!

So funny, I asked what happened to him like 2 days ago and there's been an outpouring of positive info ever since.

Who do you guys want me to do next?!??

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So funny, I asked what happened to him like 2 days ago and there's been an outpouring of positive info ever since.

Who do you guys want me to do next?!??

What ever happened to Gus Malzahn?

• Haha 4
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

What ever happened to Gus Malzahn?

Very proud of him for earning his degree from the Guy Fieri School of Rush Propst Retiring to Jacksonville

Coach Gus Malzahn (@CoachGusMalzahn) | Twitter

• Haha 9

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Very proud of him for earning his degree from the Guy Fieri School of Rush Propst Retiring to Jacksonville

Coach Gus Malzahn (@CoachGusMalzahn) | Twitter

Please tell me this is a real photo

Just now, Barnacle said:

Please tell me this is a real photo

It's real, and it's spectacular.

Folks said that he dyed his hair but I'm not sure he didn't just *stop* dying it.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

This isn't just speculation, though. It's very intentionally framed to make one player look bad, even going so far as to call him out in the headline. Take away the headline and it reads like an article about what a great camp Malcolm Johnson is having and then it suddenly, randomly and unnecessarily points out- as @cole256 points out- *two* mistakes that Hudson made.

I'm not sure what Blackerby's issue is but it's a startling hit piece on a player. 

Not to belabor the point, but the entire write up about the depth chart is speculation.  It could be completely wrong after the media session is over.  He is just guessing about Hudson's status too.  Finally, not to go too far defending someone, but writers don't write the headline, editors do. 

All of this is based on a short media window where players are doing base drills.  Bring on the first game!

• Like 1