Defensive Strategy against Jahan Dotson

Viper

Question for the resident defensive gurus…

What will be our defensive strategy to limit Jahan Dotson? IMO, he is by far their best offensive player. A Jaylen Waddle type WR.

Will McCreary be assigned to cover him all over the field much like Antonio Langham was assigned to cover Frank Sanders in the 1993 IB?

Or do the corners stay on their sides regardless of where Dotson lines up because of familiarity? Or some combination thereof?

In what should be a low-scoring game, holding Dotson out of the end zone or no more than one score will be imperative. 

• Like 3

Certainly not a defensive guru, and haven't really had the time to study what we are doing on defense under Mason, but if this guy is really a game-changing stud and it fits within the parameters of our defensive philosophy, I'd say we put a "STAR" on him that follows him all the way to the water fountain in the lobby. 

That may not be something we do, but that's one of my favorite strategies against a stud. 

We can't sleep on Parker Washington either.  Our best defense for the wr's is pressure on Clifford and preventing them from creating space.

UW held them in check besides two blown assignments which resulted in both of Penn States touchdowns against them.

Edited by auburnphan
  • Like 1

Pressure on qb and keep everything in front of the dbs. Mason has a little bit of a bend but don’t break until the red zone.

we seem to play almost exclusively off coverage zone now right? I have to think this is the week they start mixing in some press concepts like Steele employed 

with how pass heavy this team appears to be, I don't think you'd like to let them nickel and dime you 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tsande07 said:

First things first: Shut down their running game and limit big plays. 

Everyone has shut down their running game.  If we can't do that, then our defense really wasn't as advertised.

• Like 4

I think Dotson is going to have some catches. I looks for Mason to try and use exotic blitzes to try and disrupt Clifford's timing. Look for a healthy mixture of off man zone coverage and press man. Look for a lot of motion and shifts in the secondary presnap to throw Clifford off of what we are doing. Dotson will have some grabs, but I think we can snag a pick or two which will be the difference in the game. I have all the faith in the world in Rog and Pritchett to cover this guy. My worry is on the back end with Knighton and Smoke if he gets back there. 

• Like 1

The pass defense is what worries me most. That Akron #2 QB completed 13 of 13 on us. That troublesome little tidbit has been lost in the happiness of an overall well played game. Whatever is done, we'll need to do something different or they will nickle and dime us all the way down the field.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CCTAU said:

Turns out our strategy was to let him run free all throughout the secondary!

Yeah looks like they didn’t what number he was.