Penn State Post Game Thread

AuburnNTexas

5 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

I am ignorant compared to most of the AuFamily.  Never played, never coached. But I’m a fairly bright guy, and a rabid fan. Of all things Auburn (class of ‘96). I think what burned me up tonight was watching such wonderful play calling by PSU, then ours. Like point/counterpoint and we were clearly outclassed.  If someone as ignorant as I, could see that, I’m sure the coaches/ former players were apoplectic. I fully realize that you cannot just run the ball 80 times. I know you need to mix it up and keep them honest and set up the run but, it was just such a difference in playcalling, I was just disappointed so then I started running off at the mouth. My mouth gets me in a lot of trouble. 

We barely sent pressure and he was patient and accurate. 

1 minute ago, Fastlax16 said:

Except it wasn’t third down. The officials huddled and announced it was fourth down. It was officially 4th. Did you want Franklin to pull his team off the field in protest? He would have been tossed if this was a basketball game. Horrible crew. 

You don't understand, replay is currently a thing.  He is an idiot for not asking.  I can asuure you that your PSU staff won;t let it happen again, LOL.

2 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

If the coach calls a pass play and the line gives the QB all day and he completes a beautiful pass, it’s pretty easy to say it was a great play call. 

Absolutely, good Lord he had all day back there, but on the PSU 2 yard run for TD late in game, I think they sent 4-wide,  out all the way to the the sideline, drew our guys wide, handed ball off and waltzed in to that same side. They had a lot of well executed, creative and successful plays. We didn’t.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

And I’m not necessarily calling for Finley either. Bo just brings mediocrity with him. 

Well we do exist in a duality lol 

I think Davis is too far behind the 8 ball at this point to get burn unless it's catastrophic. But I also don't see Finley playing unless the same thing happens to Nix. I think we're experiencing an Emory Jones-AR15 situation where the backup might be better for the system, but the starter is entrenched 

• Like 1

Maybe I'm drunk (I'm totally drunk) but I'm not thinking the sky is falling like some are. That fourth down call was bad. Not feeding Tank and Jarquez more carries was questionable. But man, Gus gets BLOWN THE FRICK OUT of this game especially after that turnover to start the third quarter. We showed fight, we showed a lot of mental toughness. I never thought we were out of it even though we trailed the whole second half. 

We will continue to improve, but much of our deficiencies are systemic and not this staff's fault. We have a million guards but no tackles. We desperately need a #1 receiver or three, we need a pass rusher or two, and we need to not play zone on defense when you have the guys we have at linebacker and DB. 

Unfortunately personnel issues are like building a navy. You can't just wake up one day and decide you need linemen, a beast receiver, and a pass rusher. You have to recruit these guys and put them in the weight room for a year or two before you see returns. I am excited for the rest of the year. We will give Georgia and Alabama good games and we will go to Tiger Stadium and win in two weeks. 

• Like 1

Sorry guys don't even read, just want to get my uneducated rant in before I move on. I believe two things can be true. 1. This staff has improved this squad physically, mentally, and fundamentally and 2. This staff did not put forth a great effort tonight. There need to be some changes imo

Receiving corps needs major haul over. Absolutely flabbergasting why both Johnsons, Dawson, and Canion/Capers aren't in over Shed. At minimum, why is Shed the deep ball and outside guy? He doesn't have the body or skillset for that. Not his fault. I know he's trying his best. I like D-rob and believe he deserves a role, but the fact that he's our #1 is telling.

Defense is disappointing. I actually thought interior DL was decent but the EDGE group couldn't get any pressure. I would like to hear Cole or some of our more knowledgeable posters thoughts. I have huge respect for Mason as a person and coach, but I would like to hear how y'all thought he 1. adjusted throughout the game and 2. If he is adapting to the personell he has inherited. Doesn't quite seem like it to me, but I'm probably wrong.

OL and Nix were good enough to get us the win. Neither cost us the game. As a Nix critic, I have to give him credit. That being said, it's obvious that both units still need a major upgrade in play, either from the current guys or others.

Coaching staff deserves blame. I'm not into moral victories and will criticize. Bobo got way too cute at times, and that last call is one of the worst I have ever seen. All that being said, it's clear that they have improved the team. Let's not turn on them yet. See how the season plays out and let them get their recruits

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Thing is, PSU isn’t any better than most of our SEC schedule. Unless we correct some things, this is going to be a pretty rough year. 

Oh my; I don’t know if you’re allowed to say that. I mean it’s 100% true, but I’m not sure you can say that.

Edited by AU-24

8 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Just two guys telling it, like it is! Many on here are just so happy that Gus is gone, they refuse to acknowledge how horrendous our coaching was. Feel bad for the players.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This is a pretty even stat sheet. Doesn’t look like a team that got completely out coached. Let’s all take a breath. 

B1799835-3CF0-4A78-8EAE-2E41A8EFE265.jpeg

These stats furthers my argument Auburn played them toe to toe minus 3 bad play calls. 1. To begin the half 2. Running a play before the end of the 3rd quarter . 3. Throwing instead of running on 4th down

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

And I’m not necessarily calling for Finley either. Bo just brings mediocrity with him. 

Mediocrity? What an assanine and idiotic comment. Bo did what we needed to win. Can't make receivers catch passes or his defense force a single incomplete pass.

Didn't play perfect by any means but this is just a dickhead comment with no basis. 26 yards from beating a top 10 team on the road after the staff blew timeouts on a defensive play where they were about to get a delay of game. 

Some fans just won't let go on trying to crap on Bo. Hell it's every quarterback we have.

Heard the same about Sean White, Jarrett Stidham, Nick Marshall, and I even recall bitching about Cam.

• Like 2

I think I get Bo no. 

He's the guy that wants everyone to like him, and they do.  They just don't respect him..  He's got the talent. Just missing the leadership. 

Shed's game today

The fumble

4th and goal TD run

No sacks

Fix that s***

Edited by kennypowers
Seriously... Marking out "bad words"
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Well we do exist in a duality lol 

I think Davis is too far behind the 8 ball at this point to get burn unless it's catastrophic. But I also don't see Finley playing unless the same thing happens to Nix. I think we're experiencing an Emory Jones-AR15 situation where the backup might be better for the system, but the starter is entrenched 

I get what you're trying to say but the Emory-AR situation is wildly different. Bo isn't out here throwing multiple Interceptions (zero this year) and isn't looking like dog s***.

We also haven't seen near enough from TJ to imply he's any better. AR has actually flashed that dynamic ability and put up bit time stats. TJ's numbers from LSU look worse than what we have now.

Not to mention PSU would have sacked him 4+ times in this game with his lower mobility.

Backup being popular cliche never dies.

Edited by Zeek

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

One thing I'm happy I saw tonight outside of RBs? I liked what I saw from Kobe for the most part, and he's a sophomore.

image.gif.ce227d7ca04f7967a420a16e1dd9d227.gif

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Mediocrity? What an assanine and idiotic comment. Bo did what we needed to win. Can't make receivers catch passes or his defense force a single incomplete pass.

Didn't play perfect by any means but this is just a dickhead comment with no basis. 26 yards from beating a top 10 team on the road after the staff blew timeouts on a defensive play where they were about to get a delay of game. 

Some fans just won't let go on trying to crap on Bo. Hell it's every quarterback we have.

Heard the same about Sean White, Jarrett Stidham, Nick Marshall, and I even recall bitching about Cam.

If that’s how you feel my man. I feel differently about it. Luckily that’s allowed. No need to get worked up about it. I didn’t say the guy was a piece of ***. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Went to the game. It was loud as I've ever been to a game. Much louder than LSU.. A&M was a bunch of children yelling compared to this. 

Kind of disappointed in the pass rush. Good showing. Had a blast. Bars and tailgating was fun.. great environment. It middle of bumf nowhere PA. Ready for part 2 

Edited by Randman5000
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

If that’s how you feel my man. I feel differently about it. Luckily that’s allowed. No need to get worked up about it. I didn’t say the guy was a piece of ***. 

Mediocrity is like Vandy bad. If you think he or Auburn are anywhere near that you need help.

Bo’s arm strength is suspect. Am I alone in that assessment?

OLine not too shabby. 

D secondary not good. 

sticking to my preseason assessment of this team…hard-nosed and physical, will keep us in every game, lots of “moral victory” games, but not enough high end talent and/or at crucial positions (WR) to get the Ws. 

playcalling was bad at times, but I have faith that we are moving in the right direction. 

give penn state and that environment some credit. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1