Penn State Post Game Thread

AuburnNTexas

3 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Thing is, PSU isn’t any better than most of our SEC schedule. Unless we correct some things, this is going to be a pretty rough year. 

PSU isn't better than Bama or UGA, but likely isn't worse than anyone else we play.

aTm is still a question mark. They have talent and are highly rated, but they haven't looked spectacular in the 3 easy games they've played so far. Barely beat a poor Colorado team. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AU120289 said:

The bad play calling at critical times and forgetting to cover the TEs caused some holes in the walls. But going with the white face masks - seriously! 

yep  really focused on what mattered lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

We do need to correct some things, but that first sentence is garbage.

We’ll go ahead and say they’re better that LSU, USCjr, and MSU. Arkansas (coin flip), UGA, bama, TAMU, and Ole miss would likely all take care of PSU. 

• Like 1

Main thing I was really disappointed with was the pass rush.  Plus that silly call coming out half and the other silly one on the 4th down at the 2.  If I got a stud RB I’m getting him the ball in that situation.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Good points here:

As if Bo threw a single good deep ball tonight... Yes, the WRs dropped a couple tonight but never have I seen a QB throw a ball into the rafters on every deep ball like Bo did tonight. And that's on the coaches because he has not been able to consistently make those throws since he's been here. 

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Also too everybody needs to say we need to get better as a team. There shouldn'tbe any calling one person or one group out today. We need upgrades at every position other than hb on offense

You know I usually agree with you, but if we can't discuss players or position groups, what's the point of this message board? The whole team needs to improve, but some groups are definitely better than others. 

• Like 1

Overall impressed with Coaching. We are lacking in a few spots when it comes to experience and maybe being a little out maned. I really thought the O line would get destroyed but they held up. The team showed fight and I think they will improve every game. I think they are heading in the right direction. 

On the QB play.

Bo is what he is, a game manager type guy. Not a bad QB but not a guy that will take the game and win it by himself. If he had a few more play makers with experience to get the ball to he would look a lot better. Play calls hurt him at times but he is not going to make the play that amazes people. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

PSU isn't better than Bama or UGA, but likely isn't worse than anyone else we play.

aTm is still a question mark. They have talent and are highly rated, but they haven't looked spectacular in the 3 easy games they've played so far. Barely beat a poor Colorado team. 

And PSU caught some lucky breaks against Wisconsin and the Ball State team they played got killed by Wyoming. 

6 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

We will struggle to keep pace with Ole Miss.  They are going to feast on our secondary and right now I'm not confident that we can keep pace points wise. They are playing a good Tulane team tonight.  At the half, they have over 400 yds of offense.

Edited by AU9377

2 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

Main thing I was really disappointed with was the pass rush.  Plus that silly call coming out half and the other silly one on the 4th down at the 2.  If I got a stud RB I’m getting him the ball in that situation.  

I just don’t understand why we didn’t pound the ball at the line all night. They were weak mostly. Ugh. 

Edited by Auburn Tiger

2 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Did you sleep thru the Malzahn Era?

Not at all. Let me be more clear here. I suspect you are referring to my statement about one of the more frustrating games I have watched in a while. I didn't word that very well in hindsight.

The last 3 years of Gus, the frustration was on a whole different level. I expected to be frustrated with play calling. I expected that. I did not expect to see the bone headed play call on 4th and 2 tonight. I didn't expect the poor use of TOs. I didn't expect to see us go away from what is our bread and butter. I saw a lot of good things tonight and as I said in OP, I fully believe the team played well enough to win the game.

I feel like a few bad coaching moves cost us. I still have much more faith in this staff and I believe we will learn from it and get better. Overall, I am still much more satisfied with the product on the field than we have had the last 7 years. WDE on to the next one. Gang Gang.

25 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

I’ll eat crow - I said back in the summer this game would be ugly.  It wasn’t.  We just don’t have the horses yet - particularly in the trenches.  But our time is coming.  Keep the faith, brothers.

WDE

We don’t have the horses like we want for sure but we were a couple bad coaching decisions away from having enough for a W tonight. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Thing is, PSU isn’t any better than most of our SEC schedule. Unless we correct some things, this is going to be a pretty rough year. 

LSU, Arkansas, MSU, TAMU, I'd take Penn State over those 4 conclusively. I'd also take them over Ole Miss but that's a matchup thing. Georgia and Alabama are the only ones conclusively better than PSU

• Like 1

A QB doesn't win a game by himself. The long throws the Penn State QB made were to wide open receivers while he was in a pocket where he didn't have to move. We started out trying to not pressure QB just keep him in the pocket but with 5 or 6 guys blocking the QB just had to wait until somebody came open. They kept a TE in to Block but if the LB shot forward the TE moved to where the LB had left giving the QB an easy pass.  Bo made some great Back Shoulder throws as the receivers were covered so tightly.   We also had some mental errors in coverage. 

Our O-Line was so so, they were decent on Run Blocking and decent on pass blocking. Brahm's played one of the best games since he has been at Auburn. He got to second level multiple times and I did not see him get blown up. After the stupid play at beginning of the second half we made a real effort to run the ball and grind it out and it worked, we should have been doing that the whole game. We did use Shenker well a few times but needed more of that as they were bringing up a lot of bodies in the box. Sadly that left their DB's on Islands and none of our receivers could take advantage of that.

To me this was a hard fought loss where on this day Penn State was the better team because they didn't make any mistakes that hurt them, whereas we did make mistakes both by players and by coaches.

Man some of yall are nuts. Put the drink down. Grab a bottle of water and a cup of coffee. Im as oissed as anyone else. But we all know- had Gus been the coach we wouldve been BLOWN out. That D wouldve feasted on Bo like UGA did. Theres some disappointing play calls, defensive strategies, sure  But we are way further along than we were under gus... by the way MSU lost to memphis today. Arkansas is one dimensional (but pretty good in that dimension). Texas a&m is all D, they have zero offense. Lsu is beatable and might fire their coach soon. SCAR is still scar, and ole miss doesnt have a defense. If we improve (and this was game 1 for us) we should beat all of those teams. 

• Like 2

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

We’ll go ahead and say they’re better that LSU, USCjr, and MSU. Arkansas (coin flip), UGA, bama, TAMU, and Ole miss would likely all take care of PSU. 

TAMU hasn't shown me anything that makes me think they could have won on the road in Happy Valley tonight.  Especially with their backup QB.

Ole Miss you may have a point.  I'll need to see their defense against an offense with some talent and a pulse first.

Arkansas struggled with Rice and beat a highly overrated Texas team at home.  Let's pump the brakes on them.

The only teams left on our schedule clearly better are Bama and UGA, period.

• Like 1

This game is a great example of what Auburn is right now, they aren't a horrible team and they aren't a good team. There are a lot of weak spots.

Coaching overall tonight was bad: personnel, play calling. clock management were all bad. There were no real adjustments to the game plan at any point. But let's no pretend that the coaching staff came into a team that was good. This is maybe a 7 win team at best. Hope they are really recruiting hard.

Also I know that people here are fans and you don't won't to trash your guys, but Bo Nix is not good. He wasn't the only problem tonight but he is also not a solution to anything.

• Like 1

IMO the oline was adequate once the got rolling. I think Bo sucked it up and his shoulder is probably messed up.The wide receivers were the issue but shouldn’t have been if u rode ur two stud backs

4 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

As if Bo threw a single good deep ball tonight... Yes, the WRs dropped a couple tonight but never have I seen a QB throw a ball into the rafters on every deep ball like Bo did tonight. And that's on the coaches because he has not been able to consistently make those throws since he's been here. 

He threw one that would have been a TD if Robertson hadn't just completely lost sight of it.

Well I see it this way. You just had your first taste of defeat after a hard fought game. Let it sink in and if you don't like the taste of it then get better or that taste will become familiar. I think Harson will remind this team that they are fighters and will learn and move on from this.

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

LSU, Arkansas, MSU, TAMU, I'd take Penn State over those 4 conclusively. I'd also take them over Ole Miss but that's a matchup thing. Georgia and Alabama are the only ones conclusively better than PSU

If you say so. They didn’t show me anything tonight that we’re not going to see later this season is what I’m mainly saying. If anything they provided a perfect playbook on how to beat us easily, *unless* we correct those issues. 

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

And Georgia is at home. If we learned our  lessons tonight then..........

I don't know what world you guys are living in where we should come away with that game thinking we had the better team. We probably had 2 of the 4 best players between both offenses with Hunter and Tank, and good coaching features them the ball, but there is nothing to say they wouldn't have just scored more if it got down to it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

A QB doesn't win a game by himself. The long throws the Penn State QB made were to wide open receivers while he was in a pocket where he didn't have to move. We started out trying to not pressure QB just keep him in the pocket but with 5 or 6 guys blocking the QB just had to wait until somebody came open. They kept a TE in to Block but if the LB shot forward the TE moved to where the LB had left giving the QB an easy pass.  Bo made some great Back Shoulder throws as the receivers were covered so tightly.   We also had some mental errors in coverage. 

Our O-Line was so so, they were decent on Run Blocking and decent on pass blocking. Brahm's played one of the best games since he has been at Auburn. He got to second level multiple times and I did not see him get blown up. After the stupid play at beginning of the second half we made a real effort to run the ball and grind it out and it worked, we should have been doing that the whole game. We did use Shenker well a few times but needed more of that as they were bringing up a lot of bodies in the box. Sadly that left their DB's on Islands and none of our receivers could take advantage of that.

To me this was a hard fought loss where on this day Penn State was the better team because they didn't make any mistakes that hurt them, whereas we did make mistakes both by players and by coaches.

Their qb was clearly better than ours though. Clearly. 

• Like 1