Most Surprising thing about Bo

AUght2win

1 hour ago, Auburninbham said:

Absolutely.....TJ will have a lot shorter leash than BO *has*(until TJ starts a couple straight games I dont consider him qb1) because 

TJ isn't as likely to play as well as Bo.  Bo was the starter going into the season for a reason.  

As for 'saving' the team, I think we were watching different games.  I saw a qb get what....4 series?....and miss a bunch of plays in those series. Sure the tank fumble wasn't his fault, but the overall grade I would give to TJ for that game is not a good one.  

Now Bo missed plays as well....thats why he was pulled.  But unlike TJ, Bo has played well before.  I watched a lot of TJ at LSU last year and 

unless he has made massive strides he is not nearly as good as Nix.  That's part of why he will have a relatively short leash.  The idea that this

is now TJ's job for sure is not clear at all.

I agree that its not clear if this will be TJ's job moving forward, but stop talking about TJ last year like its a be all, end all.  Kid was a true freshman on a supremely bad football team.  Two of his three losses last year as a starter were to #1 Bama and #5 A&M.

Hell, in his first start he did something Bo couldn't do last year: go for 17-for-21 and wax South Carolina.

There's a reason he had offers from us, Bama, and PSU when he was in the portal this off-season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

The expected, emotional, overreaction thread. Nix, Stidham & White all had way too many "off" games as fairly seasoned QBs, but Finleys resume is now 1 good quarter against Ga State, and and entire LSU season of being abysmal.

Don't think this thread is about Finley. It's about Bo...

1 hour ago, Auburninbham said:

Look I don't think we know from playing 3/4 bad teams if Bo has gotten better or worse.

We’re 1/4 of the way through the season, if we don’t already know when will we? Halfway through? Three fourths the way through? And if he can’t perform at a high level against the “bad teams” what makes you think he is going to against the really good teams?

• Like 1

Nix’s tenure at QB seems to kinda track Malzahn’s tenure as HC from the point that, even after the mountain of evidence that Gus was heels over head in years 3 and 4, many AU folks were willing to continue to give him a break bc he was a “good guy” who “loved Auburn” and who “had his moments.” When, in fact, he was the wrong guy for the job and was holding AU back.

Edited by tigeraddikt
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Auburninbham said:

I challenge the Auburn fans clamoring for TJ to be the qb1 do the following:  

Go watch the 2020 LSU Auburn game.  Watch Bo nix.  Watch TJ Findley.  

Then let me know how sure you are that TJ is going to be the starter going forward for long....

Reverse the roles. Put Bo Nix on LSU facing our defense. What’s his play like? Probably just as bad. If not worse. 

6 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

The expected, emotional, overreaction thread. Nix, Stidham & White all had way too many "off" games as fairly seasoned QBs, but Finleys resume is now 1 good quarter against Ga State, and and entire LSU season of being abysmal.

You are correct that they did have plenty of off games, but Bo isn't even in Stidham's zip code in my opinion, and really probably not Sean Whites as far as in-game talent goes. 

What is so frustrating is that Bo is arguably one the most talented quarterbacks we've had as far as raw skills, but he can't put it all together. 

I don't know him personally, but I really think he's a great person and an Auburn man. I hate that things may go this way, but such is life. 

I understand the post. But I believe coming up with such a conclusion based on the success of a qb in one game is presumptive. Note: I remember the LSU/Auburn game last year. 

7 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

I attributed all of whites, stidham, and until penn st/today, nix’s issues with gus and his “system” but with 3.5 games under his belt with a new HC and new OC known to be a good qb coach it’s all on nix.

white and stidham might have improved vastly understand this same coaching team, maybe not. It’s clear nix has not.

I don’t know if Finley is the answer. Probably isn’t or he would have been playing already (maybe) but I watched a kid come in with very little time and bring a dejected team out of a 12 point hole and make the plays needed to win.

just like making the change at HC, the fear of failure with the next guy should stop us from making a change from a guy who isn’t getting it down where it matters. My confidence in harsin increased today regardless of what the future holds.

7 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

This post wreaks of lack of context. 

question. In your opinion, if harsin doesn’t make the change at ab, does Auburn win yesterday?

Edited by fasttimes
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUCE05 said:

Watching the mental gymnastics over Bo is hilarious.  He is a terrible QB. 

He is NOT an SEC level QB.  He may do a fantastic job at a lower level program but he’s had 3 yrs to work, learn, train, develop, absorb knowledge, work on fundamentals, hone is game and he still hasn’t propelled himself to SEC level.  

9 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Barring a total collapse from TJ or an injury, Bo's days as the Auburn starter are done. Looking at his career to now, and the trajectory it's taken, it really is shocking what ultimately sunk him.

Lots of different things sink QBs - lack of accuracy, inability to grasp an offense, poor character, etc. And don't get me wrong, there are a ton of flaws in Bo's game. But the inability to set his feet, to stay in the pocket, to follow through, and take a hit is the singular, maddeningly simple flaw that he couldn't, or rather, WOULDN'T overcome.

This issue isn't one of talent. Standing in as a QB is a choice - it's a commitment to sacrifice your body for the team, just like any other position player does every play.

We all remember that Stidham struggled with this, but not to such a crippling degree. And another big difference in those two QB's is the Bo narrative - gamer, leader, legacy, gritty, willing to lay it all on the line for Auburn. 

It's just shocking when you look at the full picture. Like I said above, Bo has other flaws. He stares down receivers, has inconsistent accuracy, loses his cool. But the fadeaway overshots and bailing on plays is what killed us today. Look at the backfoot overthrow to Cannion. If Bo hangs in and throws that wide open ball for a touchdown, we may win going away, and he could still have his job. 

We may never know what the deal is. Was he silly enough to believe he was protecting a pro career? Did Gus ingrain the panic in him? Or does he simply not like being hit?

I feel sorry for him because I know he is a good kid where it really counts. But he earned the bench. Sad story, really. Maybe he can have a Barrett Trotter or Kodi Burns redemption moment someday.

I believe the thing that sunk him is lack of ability to hit his targets. Accuracy is his biggest downfall.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

I think he played 5 games at LSU not a season.

The whole thing kind of sucks. Every single player that played on the team played like crap yesterday. Defense got better in the second half, but the offense did nothing until the last drive. That’s including TJ. He earned the right to keep leading the team until he can’t. But he’s being thrown into a completely different situation Saturday night. And he hasn’t really done too much to show he’s that guy, other than lead one drive. I’m very concerned about his ability to run. Because the offensive line is not going to be able to protect the QB. We know that. Talk about players that don’t deserve to be starting. The whole Oline should be sat. But we don’t have anyone else to put in there. Gonna be a long season. Buckle up.

11 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

The whole thing kind of sucks. Every single player that played on the team played like crap yesterday. Defense got better in the second half, but the offense did nothing until the last drive. That’s including TJ. He earned the right to keep leading the team until he can’t. But he’s being thrown into a completely different situation Saturday night. And he hasn’t really done too much to show he’s that guy, other than lead one drive. I’m very concerned about his ability to run. Because the offensive line is not going to be able to protect the QB. We know that. Talk about players that don’t deserve to be starting. The whole Oline should be sat. But we don’t have anyone else to put in there. Gonna be a long season. Buckle up.

People should get behind him like they did when pretending Bo was the guy then

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

People should get behind him like they did when pretending Bo was the guy then

I completely agree. Like I said, he’s earned that right. I just don’t have a positive outlook at this point. Davis may be the best option. But I don’t think we see him unless things get really bad. If TJ craps the bed Saturday night, we will just see Bo again. And it’ll become a vicious cycle. 

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I completely agree. Like I said, he’s earned that right. I just don’t have a positive outlook at this point. Davis may be the best option. But I don’t think we see him unless things get really bad. If TJ craps the bed Saturday night, we will just see Bo again. And it’ll become a vicious cycle. 

It probably won't be this year but within the next two years we'll have a QB that can function and we'll get rolling

The problem yesterday more than anything was the O line.  Bo starts to panic, bail out early, lose his concentration and revert to his bad habits like not setting his feet and throwing off his back foot when the O line is failing him.  You could see Tank getting frustrated and losing his cool too.  GA State had a great game plan on how to beat our offense.  The O line didn’t know who to block and it looked like their feet were stuck in the mud.  Finley at least kept his cool but he also had some bad overthrows due to the pressure.  What Bobo kept missing time after time with his play calling was they were bringing pressure up the middle, leaving the middle of the field wide open and just covering the perimeters since that’s where we throw the ball because we don’t trust our QB’s to not throw it to the wrong color jerseys.  A simple slant with a quick throw would have been wide open.  They were totally selling out to stop the run but he never called the first screen or draw play which should be the first things you call when a team is doing that to you.   His play calling is a bad a Gus.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Auburninbham said:

I challenge the Auburn fans clamoring for TJ to be the qb1 do the following:  

Go watch the 2020 LSU Auburn game.  Watch Bo nix.  Watch TJ Findley.  

Then let me know how sure you are that TJ is going to be the starter going forward for long....

Lighten up, Patrick..

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

His play calling is a bad a Gus.  

I'm not there yet.  Though, I see what you are saying

Still trying to live out the honeymoon with hope the HC is gonna step in and right the ship on O.

6 hours ago, fasttimes said:

I don’t know if Finley is the answer. Probably isn’t or he would have been playing already (maybe) but I watched a kid come in with very little time and bring a dejected team out of a 12 point hole and make the plays needed to win.

He's earned his shot. If he isn't the answer, then time to check out the freshman. Bo is a great guy, but he isn't accurate, and that's the first thing you have to have as a QB. It's not really coachable, you have it or you don't, kind of like coordination.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

He's earned his shot. If he isn't the answer, then time to check out the freshman. Bo is a great guy, but he isn't accurate, and that's the first thing you have to have as a QB. It's not really coachable, you have it or you don't, kind of like coordination.

I don't think I'm there as far as giving up on him yet but I always felt like your point was so interesting on the board. How many people overlooking that the QB needs to be able to throw. To ignore that is crazy to me

He grew up a super fan...he's more into cheering. Leave him at QB2.  The pressure to perform may just be too much.  

2 hours ago, weagl1 said:

The problem yesterday more than anything was the O line.  Bo starts to panic, bail out early, lose his concentration and revert to his bad habits like not setting his feet and throwing off his back foot when the O line is failing him.  You could see Tank getting frustrated and losing his cool too.  GA State had a great game plan on how to beat our offense.  The O line didn’t know who to block and it looked like their feet were stuck in the mud.  Finley at least kept his cool but he also had some bad overthrows due to the pressure.  What Bobo kept missing time after time with his play calling was they were bringing pressure up the middle, leaving the middle of the field wide open and just covering the perimeters since that’s where we throw the ball because we don’t trust our QB’s to not throw it to the wrong color jerseys.  A simple slant with a quick throw would have been wide open.  They were totally selling out to stop the run but he never called the first screen or draw play which should be the first things you call when a team is doing that to you.   His play calling is a bad a Gus.  

Playcalling has been atrocious. It's been just like Gus calls plays - just calling a play to call a play. It doesnt appear to be based on what the Defense is doing, not doing.