Over Under on Ole Miss fake injuries for game 8

hutchids

Regarding the fake injuries - they should make the player that is injured (really doesn't matter fake or not) sit out the rest of that series.  I feel like that would stop it - or at least a certain # of plays, 3 maybe.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Regarding the fake injuries - they should make the player that is injured (really doesn't matter fake or not) sit out the rest of that series.  I feel like that would stop it - or at least a certain # of plays, 3 maybe.

I agree, if someone is really injured, their body won't allow them to sit there and play through it. Eventually it will be exposed or they will have to lay on the ground. A big difference than being hurt. If the players feel that they at the point that they can't run to the sideline, they need to be out for an extended time for safety purposes.

1 hour ago, fishepa said:

In soccer, if they have to stop play, you have to come off the field. And either your team has to use one of its 3 available substitutions, or you play down a man until the next stoppage of play and you can come back in.

14 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

7. Talking to Auburn about its head job when Gus Malzahn leaves for the NFL. 

One of the great things about Lane Kiffin is his complete and total lack of loyalty. When Urban Meyer resigned for the first time at Florida, guess who tried to get the Florida job even though he was Tennessee’s head coach and had spent the preceding year crushing the Florida Gators and Urban Meyer?

Lane Kiffin.

Is there any doubt that if Gus Malzahn left and Lane Kiffin had a couple of decent years as Alabama’s offensive coordinator, that he’d do everything in his power to get the Auburn job?

Has this happened yet?  :laugh:

BTW - the count was apparently 11 flops by OM during the game.

20 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

How do you know he coaches them to do it? Just wondering. I am a lately Kiffin fan ( not earlier). I like his sense of humor (many CFB coaches don’t show them) and bc I think his offensive coaching is top notch if not the best.

Faking injuries was discussed pre-season and theoretical ways to address it. I am unsure if it's still being debated by the higher-ups or if it was put on the back burner for further discussion either at the conference or national level. As we all know, college football is notorious for this tactic but I believe one of the examples being used as part of the debate was in 2020 when Kiffin, on national TV, very blatantly pointed to a player and then to the ground and the player drops with a proposed injury. 

Kiffin is gifted-smart in a cut-throat industry, sometimes through his intelligence he misses common sense nuances. However, few doubt his impact to college football including the notion that he is one a one-man marketing machine and that is free PR, whether a curse or a blessing is probably debatable. 

I agree, I wish faking injuries was cleaned up. To me, it's a tarnish and teaches young adults and the public that you can advance through cheating. 

Edited by AU_Canoe

4 minutes ago, AU_Canoe said:

it's a tarnish and teaches young adults and the public that you can advance through cheating. 

It's not cheating, though, any more than it was cheating for Gus to run the HUNH and not allow defenses to substitute. They've changed the rules and that doesn't happen anymore. The implementation of the shot clock in basketball is a similar story.

They'll need to find a way to clean this up, too. Until then, though, it's legal. 

Oh, as for actual cheating, players have been encouraged to do it as long as there has been sport. People are encouraged to cut corners in plenty of ways outside of sport. There's certainly a conversation to be had about how much that sucks- it does- but Lane Kiffen telling his players to lay down is more symptom than illness. 

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Yes, the "professional injury" - a requirement when holding a slim lead for both Kiffenball and central america soccer. I'll go w/ 4 "injuries" if they're clinging to slim lead late. 

Btw, what's over/under for network having a dedicated camera on crowd at AU/Ole Miss game to "catch" what national sports media will gleefully i.d. as "AUBURN fans throwing objects at Kiffen"? Al.com, Saturday Down South, Pat Forde, Thalmel et al will run with it for years to come.

I mean, there's some fans like those at Knoxville in every SEC fanbase. Auburn is smart enough to allow most of them to sit right by the sidelines. 

4 hours ago, AUcivE09 said:

Has this happened yet?  :laugh:

I'd like to see how many they've had this season, they flopped numerous times vs Bama and drug out that game for at least 30 minutes more than needed.  

Partial solution: when a player goes down with an injury, the other 10 players have to go to the middle of the field and take a knee facing the opposing teams sideline. Winded players would still get to catch their breath, but coaches of the injured team could not use the time to communicate with their players in any way. This precludes teams from using the situation as a timeout to coach and discuss strategy. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AUcivE09 said:

11 flops - this is 1-2 times on every drive? Yikes. 
It is legal and it works. We no longer run a hunh-hand-it-off-up-the-middle offense anymore so it May not matter. 

If you flop or fall down with injury you should have to sit out the rest of the drive for safety issues. That’s only fair. Sort of like the helmet coming off rule but longer. 

That’s how you fix this. You can’t ignore an “injury” but if you raise the severity and make the trainers pull you aside for an extended amount of time that could put a dent in it. 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 2:03 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

did it a few times vs Ark too, as I've read. Hope we kick the s*** out of OM 

Guarantee we do too or will do it.  Virtually every coach and team fakes an injury a time or two.

Always find it funny when fans think their school is above stuff like this that is common place.  Gus wasn't a good coach, but from all accounts he was a really good person & we've seen him do it.  It's not just the Lane's of the world.

Edited by W.E.D

18 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Guarantee we do too or will do it.  Virtually every coach and team fakes an injury a time or two.

Always find it funny when fans think their school is above stuff like this that is common place.  Gus wasn't a good coach, but from all accounts he was a really good person & we've seen him do it.  It's not just the Lane's of the world.

Yep, every team does fake an injury a time or two. Every team doesn't have 10+ fake injuries in a prime time game.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, woodford said:

If you flop or fall down with injury you should have to sit out the rest of the drive for safety issues. That’s only fair. Sort of like the helmet coming off rule but longer. 

That’s how you fix this. You can’t ignore an “injury” but if you raise the severity and make the trainers pull you aside for an extended amount of time that could put a dent in it. 

kinda like a less severe version of how basketball works. If you get hurt during a foul and are unable to shoot the FTs, your night is done. 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 12:38 PM, AU_Canoe said:

Faking injuries was discussed pre-season and theoretical ways to address it. I am unsure if it's still being debated by the higher-ups or if it was put on the back burner for further discussion either at the conference or national level. As we all know, college football is notorious for this tactic but I believe one of the examples being used as part of the debate was in 2020 when Kiffin, on national TV, very blatantly pointed to a player and then to the ground and the player drops with a proposed injury. 

Kiffin is gifted-smart in a cut-throat industry, sometimes through his intelligence he misses common sense nuances. However, few doubt his impact to college football including the notion that he is one a one-man marketing machine and that is free PR, whether a curse or a blessing is probably debatable. 

I agree, I wish faking injuries was cleaned up. To me, it's a tarnish and teaches young adults and the public that you can advance through cheating. 

One has to ask... Is it cheating if there is no rule against it and no penalty for doing so?