Potential OCs for 2022?

AUApostle

Guest MustardSeed
6 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Did I hear correctly that Baylor is playing with their 2nd string QB?  And dominating OSU?  Wow

Yep

Just now, casatiger said:

Not sure why he would leave Baylor.   He is in a better position to be a head coach somewhere by staying there than coming to Auburn.  He is in a better position to be looking for employment after 1 year at Auburn.  

Yeah, I don't think he'd give up what he has in Waco.  Isn't Grimes from Dallas? 

Anyway, given that list of hypothetical hires, he'd be our best bet to move us forward.  

• Like 2

Guest MustardSeed
3 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

This.  Leave the air-raiding to the pirate in Mississippi.

The main thing here would likely be a mixing of Harsin’s run schemes and Kittleys pass schemes if I had to guess which could be interesting 

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

Yeah, I don't think he'd give up what he has in Waco.  Isn't Grimes from Dallas? 

Anyway, given that list of hypothetical hires, he'd be our best bet to move us forward.  

Yes, he would be an excellent hire.  Our track record with OC's makes us very risky sadly unless you have ties to the current staff or are an up and comer looking for a next step or you have been fired and looking for work.  

9 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

2nd and goal from the 21 and they score.  I feel like Grimes would be so awesome that it’ll never happen.

So rivals is propping him up as a legitimate option. Nobody else seems to think he is even close to a real option for us. We are about to see if rivals is just wanting clicks or if they know what they are talking about.

1 minute ago, MustardSeed said:

The main thing here would likely be a mixing of Harsin’s run schemes and Kittleys pass schemes if I had to guess which could be interesting 

That is an intriguing prospect that I hadn't considered.  I like his passing concepts  but I still think we need to utilize 2 TE's and a strong running attack. 

Ludwig has been mentioned multiple times. Great coach, can recruit, develops players, and has SEC experience.

He was Harsin’s QB coach when Harsin played. He was Masons OC at Vandy, where they improved every year but did not have the players to compete.

That being said, he has also said Utah is his last job. He hates moving and will retire there. He already gets $2M per year, so money may not sway him.

Working with his friends and trying to build something great would probably persuade him.

ALSO- I will continue to say it until everyone understands… Kendall Briles and Jeff Lebby are Air Raid guys. It meshes well with West Coast style offenses. It works well in the NFL. We would be just fine if it was Kittle.

Plus, what WR wouldn’t want the chance to catch 100 balls in a season?

• Like 3

And Grimes is affiliated with Harsin. They both have close connections to Dirk Koetter.

Grimes has coached at Boise, and followed Koetter to ASU. He later worked for Dan Hawkins at Colorado (who he left for AU).

I would be very surprised if Harsin and Grimes do not know each other well. They are literally part of the same coaching tree.

• Like 1

Thomson HS HC Mark Freeman.  Because he's a proven winner.  The guy has won at every level he has coached, from private school to 7A football.  I know "he is a HS coach" but who cares.  Who needs another money grabbing carousel coach?  Besides Freeman could flip some very good recruits in the state of Alabama.  Hey, I'm convinced.

Guest MustardSeed
29 minutes ago, TJRanger175 said:

Ludwig has been mentioned multiple times. Great coach, can recruit, develops players, and has SEC experience.

Average coach at best (finished in the top 20 in PPG once in the last 20 years). Terrible recruiter (has signed 4 total 4 stars and zero 5 stars since 247 got in the game around 2010). I didn’t find very many recognizable names he coached so questionable at development and his SEC “experience” is at Vandy.   Quite different reality 😂

Guest MustardSeed
35 minutes ago, TJRanger175 said:

That being said, he has also said Utah is his last job. He hates moving and will retire there. He already gets $2M per year, so money may not sway him.

$855k/year but it is his second time at Utah so he certainly likes it there

Edited by MustardSeed

Guest MustardSeed

I personally think Hill and Ludwig make no sense at all. If we are going to fire a guy we should be hiring someone we expect to be better. Hill is average on scheme and terrible at recruiting and Ludwig is a carbon copy of Bobo but a big step backwards at recruiting. Neither make any sense at all other than familiarity and if we are firing guys to simply hire someone familiar then this staff is all leaving in 2 years so it’s a moot point

Just now, MustardSeed said:

I personally think Hill and Ludwig make no sense at all. If we are going to fire a guy we should be hiring someone we expect to be better. Hill is average on scheme and terrible at recruiting and Ludwig is a carbon copy of Bobo but a big step backwards at recruiting. Neither make any sense at all other than familiarity and if we are firing guys to simply hire someone familiar then this staff is all leaving in 2 years so it’s a moot point

Just stop posting, seriously.  You have absolutely zero insight into who is good at scheme, or recruiting. None.

• Angry 1
  • Dislike 1

I thought Utah play calling looked really good last night.  

I still don’t think Utah offense and Bobo this season looked anything like offenses in the past for Boise St.  

Guest MustardSeed
32 minutes ago, metafour said:

Just stop posting, seriously.  You have absolutely zero insight into who is good at scheme, or recruiting. None.

Wow. That’s uncalled for. I’ve literally been through all the numbers and have posted most of them. Please cite examples where I’m wrong. Actual proof please 🙄

Edited by MustardSeed

Two part post. First, I’m watching the the Big 12 championship and I have to think all hope of Jeff Grimes to Auburn are a pipe dream. Frankly, I’d be surprised if he wasn’t offered a HC position after this season. I’m happy for him, but personally bummed. I got to know Jeff and his family a little bit when he was at AU. Great coach, better person. 

With Baylor currently up on Ok St, it feels more and more likely that bama sneaks into the CFP regardless of the SECC outcome. I hope I’m wrong. Second part, honest question. I apologize for bringing it up now because it’s going to sound like sour grapes. (In short, it’s been a week. We had to put my mother in law in Hospice last Saturday afternoon. She passed late Wednesday. Her funeral was yesterday.) So I’m playing catch up on our Tigers. I watched the Iron Bowl uninterrupted last night. UAT’s 4th quarter drive to take the game to OT had a heckofa lot of missed calls. I saw the article from Auburn Wire outlining the many missed/ignored calls on another thread. There are blown calls and there are blown calls. Were neither of Young’s throwaways to no one while in the pocket intentional grounding? Did I miss an update on what constitutes intentional grounding?  If even one of the two penalties is called, I think we win the game and they have no chance to make the CFP with a loss today.  An Iron Bowl victory is always sweet, but eliminating all hope of them making the CFP would’ve been icing on the cake. Not to mention a win, in that atmosphere, would’ve been a boon to recruiting. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, auburndkel said:

Two part post. First, I’m watching the the Big 12 championship and I have to think all hope of Jeff Grimes to Auburn are a pipe dream. Frankly, I’d be surprised if he wasn’t offered a HC position after this season. I’m happy for him, but personally bummed. I got to know Jeff and his family a little bit when he was at AU. Great coach, better person. 

With Baylor currently up on Ok St, it feels more and more likely that bama sneaks into the CFP regardless of the SECC outcome. I hope I’m wrong. Second part, honest question. I apologize for bringing it up now because it’s going to sound like sour grapes. (In short, it’s been a week. We had to put my mother in law in Hospice last Saturday afternoon. She passed late Wednesday. Her funeral was yesterday.) So I’m playing catch up on our Tigers. I watched the Iron Bowl uninterrupted last night. UAT’s 4th quarter drive to take the game to OT had a heckofa lot of missed calls. I saw the article from Auburn Wire outlining the many missed/ignored calls on another thread. There are blown calls and there are blown calls. Were neither of Young’s throwaways to no one while in the pocket intentional grounding? Did I miss an update on what constitutes intentional grounding?  If even one of the two penalties is called, I think we win the game and they have no chance to make the CFP with a loss today.  An Iron Bowl victory is always sweet, but eliminating all hope of them making the CFP would’ve been icing on the cake. Not to mention a win, in that atmosphere, would’ve been a boon to recruiting. 

If UAT loses and Michigan and Cincy win, ND will be the benificiary.

Edited by AUwent
  • Thanks 1

Just now, AUwent said:

If UAT loses and Michigan and Cincy win, ND will be the benefactor.

Thanks, @AUWent. That would be interesting with their HC this season having already bolted for Baton Rouge. 

40 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

$855k/year but it is his second time at Utah so he certainly likes it there

You are correct. I saw $2M and misread it as per season.

Guest MustardSeed
4 minutes ago, TJRanger175 said:

You are correct. I saw $2M and misread it as per season.

I did the same at first. There’s an article claiming he makes 2.5 million but it was over three years. Strange way to report on it

35 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I disagree.

Both are well above average OC’s. 

They may not be super stars, nor the sexy choice, but they would be very effective. At a minimum , The staff would all be on the same page.

I am totally cool with people not wanting them and having a preference for someone else (I certainly prefer others), but you can’t say they don’t make sense. We don’t know what the overall plan for the program is.

Additionally, you can be an effective recruiter and still not be the “lead” recruiter. While the lead recruiter gets all the credit, they rarely do it all alone.

57 minutes ago, AUGREG89 said:

Thomson HS HC Mark Freeman.  Because he's a proven winner.  The guy has won at every level he has coached, from private school to 7A football.  I know "he is a HS coach" but who cares.  Who needs another money grabbing carousel coach?  Besides Freeman could flip some very good recruits in the state of Alabama.  Hey, I'm convinced.

As a position coach, risky but maybe… as a P5 Coordinator? Unlikely 

30 minutes ago, auburndkel said:

Photos from the game tying drive.

That's holding in the end zone, safety, and ballgame if it's called fairly.

262044092_4892846167415927_1629847102641108277_n.jpg

261463456_10220673274929512_802969599825190173_n.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, AUGREG89 said:

You think he’s not a money grabbing coach? Wait until Mobile tosses heavy change his way. 

There was enough ways for me to say “no, nope, negative” to this one.

Rumor around here are there are some pictures that may have in some hot water soon.

And he’s a Saban buddy, feeding that program. I’d imagine more money grabbing here.

2 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Photos from the game tying drive.

That's holding in the end zone, safety, and ballgame if it's called fairly.

262044092_4892846167415927_1629847102641108277_n.jpg

261463456_10220673274929512_802969599825190173_n.jpg

Yeah that zebra behind the end zone is trying to figure out if he wants to order brown or white gravy at Cracker Barrel after the game.