2022 AU Gymnastics

AUreo

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Suni wins all around at 39.700 which is 2nd highest all around in NCAA this year, only behind fellow Olympic teammate. 

She stepped it up big tonight when the moment got big.  And she had fun!! Dancing, smiling etc. Just a very fun night. 

And to think...she is one slight wobble on beam, one slight landing hop on bars, and one slight step with a toe on the line on floor....from being pretty dang close to 3X 10s tonight

• Like 1
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, AUBwins said:

What an atmosphere Auburn has created!

It's been quite a week for Auburn on the court/floor and off. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Grumps said:

Awesome meet! We were ranked higher and then whupped UAT....in gymnastics!!!

First we took the baton from UK in basketball and now we took the baton from UAT (in the state) in gymnastics.

War Eagle!!!

...and the AP number 1 ranking! Can't remember a collectively better week for Auburn. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

...and the AP number 1 ranking! Can't remember a collectively better week for Auburn. 

And football has nothing to do with it lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUBwins said:

And football has nothing to do with it lol

Yes, sadly...

Almost an everything school :-X

The students are awesome and loving the success of these programs. Tremendous support. 

• Like 1

Please forgive my ignorance...   In gymnastics specifically, now with NIL, is there any reason someone like Suni would forgo being a collegiate and opt to become a "pro."   What I am really asking is, what are the chances Suni will compete as a Tiger, next year, the year after and the year after?

28 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Please forgive my ignorance...   In gymnastics specifically, now with NIL, is there any reason someone like Suni would forgo being a collegiate and opt to become a "pro."   What I am really asking is, what are the chances Suni will compete as a Tiger, next year, the year after and the year after?

Here is an article from July about Suni's plans at the time: https://olympics.com/en/news/suni-lee-embraces-olympic-opportunity-as-she-contemplates-future-plans

I think that the Suni Lee and Jade Carey (Oregon State) are competing in the NCAA BECAUSE of the NIL. They would likely be unable to turn down becoming "pro" otherwise. FYI, I looked up the Simone Biles G.O.A.T. Tour and it looks like it may not have materialized yet (There are no tickets for sale.) How long Suni stays at Auburn will likely depend on whether she decides to compete in Worlds and whether she wants to compete in the next Olympics.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Good question.  👍   NIL allows the athlete the option to go to college now and still keep endorsement money.  As we are seeing in gymnastics this year, several elite gymnasts, including Olympians, are participating in college gym. They are getting that opportunity that for a long time was not feasible. It seems like an experience a lot of them want to have. Also could lead to better results down the road IMO because they can diversify their skills and most importantly have a refresh with the fun of college teams etc. It was either collect on my likeness or go to college.  Being a gymnast only has a small competitive span from a sport standpoint, they only have these deals for a limited time as well.  

As far as Suni goes, possibly maybe probably compete next year but not the next solely due to being an Olympic year and will need to focus solely on that training. 

• Like 2

Yes, elite gymnasts are flocking to NCAA because of NIL. Unless your are Simone Biles (who owns the market), there is no reason to turn pro anymore. This is the most talented freshman class in NCAA history (probably across all sports). Olympic gold medalists (Suni, Jade Carey), many other Olympians (Grace, A.Morgan, Jordan Chiles,  ...), World Champions (Morgan Hurd, L.Wong), and other top elites (A.Finnegan, Kara Eaker, etc), etc signed with SEC and PAC12 schools. It might be tougher to win the "Freshman of the Year" award then the AAI this year.

Suni: She will probably take the 2024 season off and train for the Olympics (maybe she will be back for the 2025 season). I am not sure she would have to take a break for Worlds. She can train for Worlds between April and October and still be enrolled at AU.

2024 season: Even without Suni, we should be still pretty competitive (and I think Suni competing and possibly medaling in Paris would do more for Auburn then competing in NCAA): 2022/2023 freshman Olivia Greaves is a 5-star/Team USA gymnast (I doubt she will try-out for the Olympics but let's see), 2023/24 Fr. Lyden Saltness is another 4-star elite from the Graba/Graba pipeline and 2023/24 Fr. Julianne Huff is a highly ranked 4-star (borderline 5-star) gymnast + we will still have current freshman sensation Sophia Groth on the roster who was a highly ranked 4-star gymnast.

Edited by AUreo
  • Like 2

“This was up there with the Olympics”

"It was amazing," Lee said. "We went out there and did our best. We were hungry. We felt like we had something to prove and I feel like we did exactly that. This was up there with the Olympics. It's been really exciting and I love it. I'm having so much fun."

"She had a different drive this week," Graba said. "She let it come to her and took control of her training. She came in with a fire this week, and I'm not sure I could not put her in the all-around."

"This is why they came here," Graba said. "It's just fueled the atmosphere. In my opinion, there's not an atmosphere that's even close to this in college gymnastics. This is extremely helpful if you're the home team."

Edited by AUreo

16 hours ago, AUreo said:

That first post is me! I cannot express how electric the arena was last night! I've been going to gymnastics meets since 2003, and that was easily the BEST environment I've ever seen for an Auburn gymnastics meet. I could have cried I was so excited. I've sat through so many AU gym meets and the cheerleaders could only get some of the little kids up and cheering. I'm so excited to see the fans lining up at the doors, getting up on their feet and getting excited for gymnastics!! 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Congrats on the win last night...have a few questions to those in the know....what is the difference between an Olympic performance and collegiate performance for the gymnasts??? 

5 hours ago, AUTigerCourt said:

That first post is me! I cannot express how electric the arena was last night! I've been going to gymnastics meets since 2003, and that was easily the BEST environment I've ever seen for an Auburn gymnastics meet. I could have cried I was so excited. I've sat through so many AU gym meets and the cheerleaders could only get some of the little kids up and cheering. I'm so excited to see the fans lining up at the doors, getting up on their feet and getting excited for gymnastics!! 

Awesome.  Glad you are posting over here now.  We've come a long way.  Great pic with Jabari btw.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Awesome.  Glad you are posting over here now.  We've come a long way.  Great pic with Jabari btw.

I second that!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Thanks! I used to be here a lot more. But full time job and 3 kids limits my time here! But I promise I’ll try to contribute more! 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, AUreo said:

Well deserved after Bama meet.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Grumps said:

She may win it every week from here on out!

This is the most competitive Freshman class in history with all the incoming Olympians and World Champions at UCLA, Florida, Utah, Oregon State etc 

Gymnastics
#6 Auburn at #8 LSU (3:00c, ESPNU)

"It's a tough place to compete," head coach Jeff Graba said. "We have to be prepared to face a loud crowd and be mentally tough. LSU is obviously a very talented team that thrives at home so we just need to focus on ourselves and on what we can control."

https://auburntigers.com/news/2022/2/4/gymnastics-no-6-auburn-with-tough-road-test-at-no-8-lsu-saturday.aspx

24 minutes ago, AUreo said:

Gymnastics
#6 Auburn at #8 LSU (3:00c, ESPNU)

"It's a tough place to compete," head coach Jeff Graba said. "We have to be prepared to face a loud crowd and be mentally tough. LSU is obviously a very talented team that thrives at home so we just need to focus on ourselves and on what we can control."

https://auburntigers.com/news/2022/2/4/gymnastics-no-6-auburn-with-tough-road-test-at-no-8-lsu-saturday.aspx

Big time meet today.  But just focus on ourselves and improve.  Funny thing is Suni will likely be cheered everywhere as an American gymnast, even opposing arenas. 

But beating an LSU team would be another milestone in gymnastics as they are always near the top. 

• Like 1

Suni with a 10.000!!!! On Bars. 

Perfect timing.  LSU just got a 10 on vault right before.  Pressure?  Nah. Lol

• Like 1
  • Love 2