The Constitutional Case for Choice

homersapien

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Here you go again, assuming only one side of the story and trying to pigeonhole people into a box that you create.  Short story; my wife was pregnant with our third child and it was a surprise.  On one of her prenatal visits the doctors ran some tests and said there was too much protein in her amniotic fluid which indicates spina bifida. The doctor recommended an abortion, my wife would have nothing to do with it, I literally had no say as she was as passionate as I have ever seen her.

So if you think I deny women to make their own decisions about their body, you would be wrong.  She knew the child might have to have medical care for the rest of his life, but it was more important to her to deliver this baby.  That God *the science* was wrong as they miss calculated the conception date and the boy was perfect.  We found out with subsequent ultra sounds he had an intact spine.

Well, apparently you just want to restrict the decisions  other women make.  That's a whole lot easier than trying to proscribe to your own wife.

And I am not "assuming" anything.  Your posts regarding the limits of (other) women's intelligence and autonomy have been quite explicit.

And I don't know you what you are implying by "that God *the science* was wrong" but it wouldn't surprise me that you don't understand or appreciate science.

Edited by homersapien

26 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I'm happy for your family and the child that everything turned out well. 

This story only really applies to the argument if you are suggesting that you may would have wanted your wife to have an abortion and that it was a possibility of you pushing her in that direction.

You already make it clear on here that you are heavily against abortion; and so saying that you didn't argue against your wife's decision not to have one, doesn't indicate that you would not deny women the right or ability to make their own decisions; because in the frame of the argument we're having here, your wife made what you assumedly felt was the "correct" decision from the start. 

Are you saying that if she had decided she wanted an abortion that you would have had a similar reaction and let her make the decision without argument or pushing her towards another direction, and would have supported her fully? 

If I had wanted to deny my wife’s wishes then I would not have let her have the choice to have autonomy over her body, it works both ways.  It is her CHOICE to do with her body what she wants.  That’s why the movement is called PRO-CHOICE not abortion on demand.

This was 33 years ago and, at the time, I was worried about the cost of upkeep of this child and would have had the discussion with her if it were up to me.  Even at that time I knew I was thinking selfishly and about the money, not her psychological well being.  I didn’t even have the conversation as I valued our relationship more than money.  I, too, am glad it’s worked out.

Yes, I would have supported her if she had decided to abort the child, but I do know my wife well enough that she would have regretted that decision at a later time.

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

Well, apparently you just want to restrict the decisions  other women make.  That's a whole lot easier than trying to proscribe to your own wife.

Here’s a news flash, Homer.  I’m not deciding anything about other women, the SCOUS is and I have absolutely nothing to say about what they decide.  If they don’t overturn Roe v Wade if will not affect my life one bit.

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Your posts regarding the limits of (other) women's intelligence and autonomy have been quite explicit.

You have this part 180 degrees off and you know it.

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

And I don't know you what you are implying by "that God *the science* was wrong" but it wouldn't surprise me that you don't understand or appreciate science.

I knew this would get you.  Sometimes the arrogance of *the science* is best kept to themselves.  I’m looking at you Dr. Fauci.

• Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Here’s a news flash, Homer.  I’m not deciding anything about other women, the SCOUS is and I have absolutely nothing to say about what they decide.  If they don’t overturn Roe v Wade if will not affect my life one bit.

You have this part 180 degrees off and you know it.

Please don't make me go back and retrieve your posts. (And I have already quoted them, so it's too late for you to change them.)

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I knew this would get you.  Sometimes the arrogance of *the science* is best kept to themselves.  I’m looking at you Dr. Fauci.

....Says the MAGA lemming.  :laugh:

Edited by homersapien