Mason rumored as a top candidate for A&M DC job

japantiger

30 minutes ago, bigbird said:

This would hurt, badly.

Totally agree.  Would suck. 

I really hope we don't lose Mason. I feel like he made some substantial changes in the end. Adapted his view on a 3 man pressure in order to generate pressure. The changes in the philosophy best seen in the Alabama game shows that he is willing to adapt and that's sometime a rarity with this staff.

47 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Jimbo is going into his 5th year. With all the money TAMU is putting out the boosters are going to start wanting better results. Mason might want to stay put.

TAMU regular season- 2018: 8-4, 2019: 7-5, 2020: 8-1, 2021: 8-4

I know…he’ll, he can stay in Auburn and in the second year experience a disgruntled fan base many of whom wanted to run him in year 1. TAMU got nothing on us!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, tomcat said:

I know…he’ll, he can stay in Auburn and in the second year experience a disgruntled fan base many of whom wanted to run him in year 1. TAMU got nothing on us!

Right ? Lol

Just now, japantiger said:

Elko was making $2.3m and highest paid SEC assistant I believe...Mason now at $1.5m. Lots of room there

Yep money talks. We going to see if we are just talk.

Edited by DAG

26 minutes ago, tomcat said:

So you're that guy, there always has to be one. I don't want him to leave so don't be a going and messing with my "stay here" mojo. ;D

I can’t believe people in this thread are saying Derek Mason is meh or bad.

This entire website was calling for him when we were hiring the new staff.

Y’all need to get your heads checked out. 

This would be horrible for Auburn and we need to pray it doesn’t happen.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Jimbo doesn’t have a single thing to worry about. Their fans are actually content but not in any way just satisfied. They aren’t looking to fire him right away like some on here. He also has major recruitment coming in so they are willing to wait and see. Mason would be a fool not to take this with more money and better recruits. 

You may be right for now. I have read some rumblings coming from there, especially after the 8 wins this year. Many thought they would do better with that roster, especially after they beat bama.

Anyway, he is starting to get some history behind him down there so the patience in year 5 isn't what it was in year 1. It takes time but put up another 8 wins in 2022 and it will get interesting. Mason just needs to stay away from that mean 'ole place. 😉

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Jimbo doesn’t have a single thing to worry about. Their fans are actually content but not in any way just satisfied. They aren’t looking to fire him right away like some on here. He also has major recruitment coming in so they are willing to wait and see. Mason would be a fool not to take this with more money and better recruits. 

They fired Sumlin after 6 years of the exact same results they are getting with “an elite” coach in Jimbo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Best thing we could do if he leaves is bring Steele back. If Mason gets offered the job obviously it's an absolute no brainer to take at this current point in time.

Yep. That thinking requires no brain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

If he does leave, I’d love for us to go after Muschamp. Assuming he’s done trying to be a head coach.

Muschamp is the new Co-DC at Georgia

2 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Would either of these 2 CO DC’s want to not be?

if this became a need for us.

2 minutes ago, Hopsing said:

Would either of these 2 CO DC’s want to not be?

if this became a need for us.

Who knows but I doubt Muschamp would leave Ga. to come to Auburn again.  

Edited by Proud Tiger

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

Probably correct. So the other one maybe?

1 minute ago, Hopsing said:

Probably correct. So the other one maybe?

Would you leave a program like Ga. to come to AU right now unless you got a huge raise?

If Mason leaves, boosters who matter really like Charles Kelly.  He has spent the past three years working for Saban.  Was with Jimbo before that.   AU man...

3 hours ago, Didba said:

I still put the 2nd half of MSU partly on the offense.  You can't have the defense on the field for almost the entire 3rd quarter against Leach and not have them gassed by the 4th.

They force a punt every now and then…..

21 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Co-Dc? For real? I uh…think he could do better

edit: Apparently he and Smart are former teammates and friends. And the real co-DC is a GA getting promoted. So much for that.

Edited by Potatooooooes!!

22 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I know this was not the intent of your post, but if you read all the other threads, this fits in with the narrative here lately: every coach at Auburn wants to leave and no other coaches want to come here 😂