thoughts on tonights game?

aubiefifty

do we stumble in turdville or do we make them cry for two days in a row after they lost last night in their bowl game? i read where they were supposed to have a great team and i watched them lose their last game while scouting them for tonights game. i would love to beat them at their house tonight. what does everyone think?

5 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I find it interesting they are favored by 3. Not sure what to expect. I’m an Auburn fan….low expectations 🤣

At home and they have a great team. I'm honestly not surprised. This will probably be a game I have to step away from periodically to maintain heart health.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

They will play way over their heads tonight. We need to play much better than Saturday, when we were obviously tired. I fully expect them to play great tonight, and probably turn around this weekend and look awful in their Saturday game. I would rather they not have lost to Mizzou, but if you want to be the winner we want to be, you gotta handle taking everyone's best shot.

• Like 2

There's a concern playing a team coming off a loss at Mizzou. Defend. Take care of the ball. Pound and punish them inside. Mizzou beat them on the boards and at the free throw line.

• Like 1

Someone compared this years bama team to Auburn's 2018 team and i think that is pretty spot on. If they are hitting their 3s then watch out. It'll be really hard to get the win. This game is going to be a big challenge to our guards to see if they can match up with Bama. If we don't stay in front of them or they get a lot of open shots then its game over. We need Flan, Cambridge, Wendell, Zep, and KD to all play their best games on defense. I think if we can keep bama under 70 we win. 

• Like 3

We have a better team than they do, period. They are at home, so it's close. We win anyway. We may stumble once or twice prior to the big dance, but not tonight.

Edited by Cardin Drake

They gave up 90+ points to a mediocre Mizzou team, and they have lost 3 of their last 6 games.  Our starters are better than theirs, our bench is better than theirs, and our coach is better than theirs.  I think we will win.  Would love to see a statement game and thoroughly embarrass them, but that's probably hoping for too much.

We have been a turnover machine lately, and will need to limit them tonight.

Don't want to see Smith and Kessler in foul trouble.

Hoping for another strong game from Jaylin Williams.  He was huge against Florida.

Please Wendell, no shots from the logo tonight.

WDE.

• Like 3

We've jumped to #4 in the AP poll which can have two easy-to-forget consequences that will play a role tonight and the rest of the season.

1. We have a target on our backs against every team we play here on out.

Luckily, we are legitimately good, maybe great, from a pure talent standpoint. And we have a deep bench that can help offset for any issues our more high profile players run into. (E.g., foul trouble, out due to being sick, having an off-day where nothing goes in, etc.)

2. Our team is young and the excitement of getting propelled up to this stage can lead to ego and/or complacency.

I am confident Coach Pearl will ensure that this does not happen. He's one of the best coaches, leaders, and mentors to student-athletes in the country for a reason.

Tonight will tell us a lot about this team. If we can go into Tuscaloosa and dominate Bama like we did LSU, then I really think this team is the real deal Holyfield with a real chance to end up becoming the greatest team in AU history, depending on what happens in March.

If we lose, sure it sucks but there's a lot more basketball to play for this team to grow even further. 

WDE

54 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Please Wendell, no shots from the logo tonight.

At least he makes most of them lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

At least he makes most of them lol

Yeah, but then Kessler thinks "if Wendell can do it, so can I".

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

Someone compared this years bama team to Auburn's 2018 team and i think that is pretty spot on. If they are hitting their 3s then watch out. It'll be really hard to get the win. This game is going to be a big challenge to our guards to see if they can match up with Bama. If we don't stay in front of them or they get a lot of open shots then its game over. We need Flan, Cambridge, Wendell, Zep, and KD to all play their best games on defense. I think if we can keep bama under 70 we win. 

This was my comp - sometimes their guards are well defended and just get blazing hot. If they do that they’re capable of beating anyone. (However, this Alabama team would much prefer to win with offense, the defense can be non-existent.)

IMO, to win tonight we have to: 

1. Control the paint and put the foul pressure on them. We are much better than they are inside. 
2. Limit our turnovers and get back in transition. Alabama is at their best when running the floor. 
3. Contest every three point shot. They have a lot of guys that can get hot and fill it up, we can’t let them have easy looks. Our 4s also have to defend the perimeter, they typically play a more small ball oriented lineup.

• Like 1

In all seriousness I hope we win & validate our #4 poll rankings & #1 seed love we are getting by bracketologists. However with them being @ home & getting especially sweet home cookin reffing against us there combined with them just having a Mr. Hyde game versus Mizzou, they'll probably play their Dr. Jeckyl follow up game against us & get the W.

4 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

I find it interesting they are favored by 3

Interesting. It opened at 1.5 for them.

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Interesting. It opened at 1.5 for them.

Meaning money going to Bama I guess.   I watched their game against Gonzaga and that game vs the Missouri game looked like two different teams.  If we keep it close, I like our chances. Hoping an Auburn contingent shows up!!

44 minutes ago, ellitor said:

In all seriousness I hope we win & validate our #4 poll rankings & #1 seed love we are getting by bracketologists. However with them being @ home & getting especially sweet home cookin reffing against us there combined with them just having a Mr. Hyde game versus Mizzou, they'll probably play their Dr. Jeckyl follow up game against us & get the W.

Really hoping we get at least "decent" officiating, but not expecting it.

How we limit our turnovers will determine the game. They have a hard time in a half court offense. We don't turn the ball over means less transition points and also slows their pace and of course we don't give them free possessions. 

Also I'm interested in how our guards defend the ball. If we limit turnovers AND our guards work hard on defending then you'll literally be seeing a team doing everything they need to possibly win a title. 

• Like 3

I don't know much about this years bammer team, but if it's anything like the years before all they do is jack up 3's.  If they make above 40% good chance they win.

4 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

We have a better team than they do, period. They are at home, so it's close. We win anyway. We may stumble once or twice prior to the big dance, but not tonight.

Hopefully not tonite. I know it will be tough to win, especially with our history at their place.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Indeed. Bama wins at Gonzaga. Destroys Miami (#1 in the ACC surprisingly) by 30 on a neutral floor. At home, lose to Davidson, scrape by Jacksonville State and South Alabama. On the road, beat Florida by 13, but lose to Mizzou?

1 hour ago, fishepa said:

I don't know much about this years bammer team, but if it's anything like the years before all they do is jack up 3's.  If they make above 40% good chance they win.

Their losses have been to horrible-mediocre teams. However, they managed to beat Gonzaga and Houston. 

I don’t have a good feeling about this game, but I do hope we annihilate them.