Coach Derek Mason out?

Tony4AU

More info on the insta live stuff people been asking about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, AUGnome said:

I heard it, but only from the little voice in my head.... We always play up in the IB, but imho there was something more to the way the defense played that game than just "the emotions" of it.

Of course, but that doesn't mean our defensive coordinator took the most important game of the season off. 

Occum's razor - simplest theory is usually the right one. The simplest theory is CDM called an incredible game.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Didba said:

Good info Did.... thanks for posting. Sounds like a culling is going on at AU... Seems to be needed

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Good info Did.... thanks for posting. Sounds like a culling is going on at AU... Seems to be needed

Yeah. It’s unfortunate that this is a issue for some players. As I was watching I was wondering to what extent can a coach implement an”culture” that is in fact counter that of the mainstream culture? Just thinking out loud here. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Yeah. It’s unfortunate that this is a issue for some players. As I was watching I was wondering to what extent can a coach implement an”culture” that is in fact counter that of the mainstream culture? Just thinking out loud here. 

….wondering the same…

53 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

I would also add that management and influencing culture is much easier to do within a smaller community ( ie Pearl and B-ball) than it is with the football team. 

It helps to have a leader with a personality, too.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, tomcat said:

….wondering the same…

I think Harsin deserves a chance to implement his style or culture. I think most, not all, but most ( including myself) on here wanted a change from Malzahn and how things were being done. ( NOT ALL OF WHICH WAS MALZAHNS FAULT). We now have that. Part of that process maybe uncomfortable because it's a work in process and there is alot of unknowns. He has his coaching staff lined up like he wants. I'm excited to see how it plays out. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Of course, but that doesn't mean our defensive coordinator took the most important game of the season off. 

Occum's razor - simplest theory is usually the right one. The simplest theory is CDM called an incredible game.

this was discussed on reddit and they seem to believe mason called the ironbowl and i believe it to be true.

8 hours ago, AU-24 said:

The only thing that is final is that he has resigned as Auburn’s defensive coordinator.

This tells you all you need to know about the downward spiral of the football program. The most celebrated hire Harsin made doesn’t take a job elsewhere…he resigns…in one season.

As has been uttered countless times the last several years…thank God for Bruce Pearl. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 4

32 minutes ago, Viper said:

This tells you all you need to know about the downward spiral of the football program. The most celebrated hire Harsin made doesn’t take a job elsewhere…he resigns…in one season.

As has been uttered countless times the last several years…thank God for Bruce Pearl. 

You're simply full of sunshine

8 hours ago, Didba said:

These guys refer to Hudson as "imploding."  They clearly lay the fault at the feet of Hudson.  This makes sense.  With our WR room, you don't run off your top performer without good reason.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

You're simply full of sunshine

Biggest game in AU bball regular season history today. How can you not be?

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Viper said:

Another way to spin this….. Mason is just not that productive and Harsin and most our fan base saw that on the field. Our coach gave him plenty of time to find another job and Mason hasn’t yet. Harsin wants his new staff announced and moving forward which leaves Mason in a position to just resign (not fired)

• Like 2

My take is that I wish Mason had worked out. Early on, his pass defense was getting nickle and dimed to pieces, but it got better as the season went on. However, he's gone and that's that.

Barring some unexpected catastrophe, Coach Harsin deserves three seasons to put his plan in place and show what he can do. That doesn't mean we have to be sunshine pumpers for two more years.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, GreenTiger said:

Another way to spin this….. Mason is just not that productive and Harsin and most our fan base saw that on the field. Our coach gave him plenty of time to find another job and Mason hasn’t yet. Harsin wants his new staff announced and moving forward which leaves Mason in a position to just resign (not fired)

I get that hires sometimes do not work out due to philosophical or personal reasons. That, you, nor I, nor anyone else, will ever know if that was the leading cause or not. There's no way Mason was pushed out due to his coaching acumen or the defensive product put on the field in 2021. It was the only unit of the two that kept us in games.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Barring some unexpected catastrophe, Coach Harsin deserves three seasons to put his plan in place and show what he can do.

Barring some unexpected upsets of beating teams we typically do beat, he won't get three seasons. No one, including the pumpers, will stand for another 6-win regular season.

Road games against Georgia & bammer are guaranteed losses in 2022. A&M, Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss & Miss St. and Penn St. are all 50/50 at best. Ole Miss & Miss St. are on the road. Only Mercer, San Jose St, & Western Kentucky are guaranteed wins. Not even Missouri is guaranteed. Besides the 3 cupcakes + Missouri, where are the 3 extra wins that will keep Harsin another season going to come from?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

My take is that I wish Mason had worked out. Early on, his pass defense was getting nickle and dimed to pieces, but it got better as the season went on. However, he's gone and that's that.

Barring some unexpected catastrophe, Coach Harsin deserves three seasons to put his plan in place and show what he can do. That doesn't mean we have to be sunshine pumpers for two more years.

No but pumping sunshine the first year might have been expected. Not necessarily pointed towards you.

10 hours ago, Didba said:

These dudes are just immature. POINT, BLANK, PERIOD. It is a way to go about doing things, tbh. And I know I asm going to hear but they are young adults blah, blah,blah. Keep things on the low.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

For the record, I don’t see Mason going to another college program.

that from a PR standpoint would be better. Thanks for this. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

No but pumping sunshine the first year might have been expected. Not necessarily pointed towards you.

My only real complaint was how crappy our red zone defense got this year.  That was my favorite part of Steele’s defenses is that I felt like we made it hard for other teams down there.

That was my perception anyway…curious how much the numbers back that up.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DAG said:

These dudes are just immature. POINT, BLANK, PERIOD. It is a way to go about doing things, tbh. And I know I asm going to hear but they are young adults blah, blah,blah. Keep things on the low.

Wait, are your referring to the players on the insta or the warrapport guys?

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Barring some unexpected upsets of beating teams we typically do beat, he won't get three seasons. No one, including the pumpers, will stand for another 6-win regular season.

Road games against Georgia & bammer are guaranteed losses in 2022. A&M, Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss & Miss St. and Penn St. are all 50/50 at best. Ole Miss & Miss St. are on the road. Only Mercer, San Jose St, & Western Kentucky are guaranteed wins. Not even Missouri is guaranteed. Besides the 3 cupcakes + Missouri, where are the 3 extra wins that will keep Harsin another season going to come from?

So you are saying this will be his last year?

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Sorry Viper, but I just can't ride that train. JMHO. wde