Coach Derek Mason out?

Tony4AU

1 minute ago, JMassie11 said:

I will go out and say there’s plenty on here that are extremely week minded to the point it’s mentally exhausting reading through posts. Guess I need to “toughen up”

Lots of mentally weak folk that wouldn't last a week enduring what football players endure for the love of the game.  I hated my head coach, he was a massive... but dang if he didn't run a great program and no one was ever out of line for long, or showed up late to practices, work outs, meetings, etc.  You either got with it, got ran until you got with it, or you got gone out the program.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Didba said:

I wouldn't have to be grinding so hard for this law degree to support the wife.

Didba, as someone who retired at age 52 because of my law degree, trust me the grind is worth it. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just now, LPTiger said:

Didba, as someone who retired at age 52 because of my law degree, trust me the grind is worth it. 

Thank you... little things like this are a nice reminder while grinding my last semester and getting ready for bar prep...  

🙏

As our head coach says... "just do the work", just put in the 400 hours needed to pass the bar, then the rest falls into place... "work, hard work, just do it."

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Didba said:

Lots of mentally weak folk that wouldn't last a week enduring what football players endure for the love of the game.  I hated my head coach, he was a massive... but dang if he didn't run a great program and no one was ever out of line for long, or showed up late to practices, work outs, meetings, etc.  You either got with it, got ran until you got with it, or you got gone out the program.  

That is exactly how great coaches run great programs. Before it’s all over with they usually get a little lazy or complacent. They stop holding everyone accountable and letting “little” things slide and then things start to fall apart

Edited by wcware
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I am going to sit back and laugh my ass off if CBH pulls this off his way. Prove them wrong Harsin and co 

As skeptical as I may have become in the last 72 hours, I am with you. It would be a massive middle crootin finger to many.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wcware said:

That is exactly how great coaches run great programs. Before it’s all over with they usually get a little lazy or complacent. They stop holding everyone accountable and letting “little” things slide and then things start to fall apart

It usually comes with age as well... About 5 years after I graduated out of the program, where we had sustained a ton of success before, during and after my time there, the head coach was starting to get up there in years and the admin was pressuring him not to be so harsh on the players... things started to slip and the numbers in the L column started trending upwards.  He retired not soon after.  He coached from around 1997 to about 2018 I think.  A long tenure. Almost unheard of these days.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Didba said:

I had the privilege of playing baseball on an amazing AAU team out of the Atlanta area ( East Cobb ) in the late 90’s. We drove 2.5 hour 4 days a week in the summer to practice. If you were late you were gone. Someone else was there to take your spot. Atlanta traffic was not an excuse. Every kid on the teams had college scholarship offers. We slept in our cars sometimes if practice was early. It taught me to do whatever it takes to make it. 

Edited by wcware
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Didba said:

It doesn't matter to me at all, your opinions are highly irrelevant, your constant negativity just gets old fast.  

Then why do you feel the need to respond to every single critical post I make? Which by the way…I don’t see you responding to my numerous positive posts on the basketball forum. Selective trolling? Nahhhhhhhhh

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wcware said:

I had the privilege of playing baseball on an amazing AAU out of the Atlanta area ( East Cobb ) in the late 90’s. We drove 2.5 hour 4 days a week in the summer to practice. If you were late you were gone. Someone else was there to take your spot. Atlanta traffic was not an excuse. Every kid on the teams had college scholarship offers. We slept in our cars sometimes if practice was early. It taught me to do whatever it takes to make it. 

Didn’t play out of EC but played against them many of times in the mid 2000s. Shortly after that time is when the mentality with sports and how coaches coached began to change.

• Like 1

Just now, JMassie11 said:

Didn’t play out of EC but played against them many of times in the mid 2000s. Shortly after that time is when the mentality with sports and how coaches coached began to change.

I haven’t been around athletics much since that time but I hear plenty of stories 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Viper said:

Then why do you feel the need to respond to every single critical post I make? Which by the way…I don’t see you responding to my numerous positive posts on the basketball forum. Selective trolling? Nahhhhhhhhh

I don't go onto the basketball forums except for game threads, can't respond to something I never see.  

Further, I respond to most posters who constantly say negative things about the football program. You are not a special butterfly. I respond to Mikey, AUght2Win, tiger belle, and other negative posters waaaaay more than you, bud.  As for me trolling anyone on these forums... c'mon now, let's not be silly here.  80% of what I post is reasoned takes regarding scheme or play-calling, the other 20% are suppositions just trying to figure out stuff like the rest of the board.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

I miss the days when “process” and “culture” didn’t take the place of wins and losses, or selling your program, or making the game fun. (See Bruce Pearl)

Lol. It took three years for Bruce to have a winning record ( 18-14) ! don't forget!!  And he was told to hire a coach that put us on probation!! 

Edited by Randman5000
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Didba said:

I don't go onto the basketball forums except for game threads, can't respond to something I never see.  

Further, I respond to most posters who constantly say negative things about the football program.

Then you haven’t done your homework. If you’re going to accuse someone of always being negative, then read every post. Otherwise, you’re just a cherry-picking troll. 

• Love 1

59 minutes ago, wcware said:

I generally agree but also understand with players options to transfer at least once, some things may have to change. The player coach dynamics have shifted more toward the profession model.

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

As a suffering 1L I also appreciate those words of encouragement. Hell of a career to be able to do that. Props to you good sir

• Like 1

Fair chance that DM and CBH couldn't jeehaw. I remember when they hired DM thinking it could be a wild card, I wouldn't venture a guess whether DM is able to be subordinate- and I promise you, if there's only one thing we know about CBH, he has that old school John Wayne no vax Army type feel- he aint putting up with anybody on his staff being less than yes sir no sir. At face value- this notion he'd stay here for two years was a long shot anyway. 

Doesn't feel like the end of the world to me. 

Edit: They might have hated eachother. Could be the program was rifted along that fault all along. Might even explain the "insta incident" that is being refered to. 

Edited by jAUSon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, au302 said:

As a suffering 1L I also appreciate those words of encouragement. Hell of a career to be able to do that. Props to you good sir

It was a combination of having a great dad who instilled in me a real work ethic, getting a great education and receiving a lot of luck.  1st year = everything is now considered interstate commerce and the rule against perpetuities is dead😀. Outwork the other side.  Don't oversell your case.  Be yourself in front of juries.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JMassie11 said:

I will go out and say there’s plenty on here that are extremely week minded to the point it’s mentally exhausting reading through posts. Guess I need to “toughen up”

Guess so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Not to hijack this thread but @autigeremt and @CCTAU also made donations today.  I’m very thankful for all of you have stepped up to the plate and donated - even if it took a DC jumping ship to give me a reason to ask again! :) 

@Ausburn2 @Sani-Freeze and @WarrrEagleHey have also stepped up to the plate … big day!!!! THANK YOU!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RunInRed said:

We're going to have to come up with a new status and perks for donors WHO RECRUIT OTHER donors! :)

Count me in 😁

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Lets stop bickering at each other or thread is shut down...you can also take it to PM's 

I'd listen to the guy that banned Big Bird!  At least it seems he has banished him somewhere.  Golf has been pretty vocal of late about it lol

Edited by AUBwins
  • Thanks 1

• RunInRed changed the title to Coach Derek Mason out?
5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Well it definitely didn't gain prominence until now. I hadn't heard it at all until the Mason rumors started.

I heard it, but only from the little voice in my head.... We always play up in the IB, but imho there was something more to the way the defense played that game than just "the emotions" of it.

--Mason has not yet reached an agreement with any other program, though he is still thought to be a strong candidate at Oklahoma State and Miami, if he chooses to be. The only thing that is final is that he has resigned as Auburn’s defensive coordinator. 

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Phillips-Friday-evening-musings-181152787/

• Thanks 2