Coach Derek Mason out?

Tony4AU

1 minute ago, Viper said:

No way they lose every game like the 2021 IB.

Highly unlikely, but I'm all for giving Harsin support and time to do it his way, but if we lose games like we did against Miss St. or Scar, then not gonna lie...he'll lose my support and my patience pretty quick. Until then, good luck to the staff and WDE.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jknighton said:

Highly unlikely, but I'm all for giving Harsin support and time to do it his way, but if we lose games like we did against Miss St. or Scar, then not gonna lie...he'll lose my support and my patience pretty quick.

As it always does, it boils down to how bad the Georgia & bammer losses are. Being they're both on the road, I don't see it ending well for him unless he shocks the SEC by winning 8 out of 12 games.

The last time we played Georgia tight on the road, that was Kirbs' first season. The last time we played bammer tight on the road, Nick Marshall set a school record for passing yards...8 years ago. We don't even have Nix playing for us this season.

Just now, Viper said:

As it always does, it boils down to how bad the Georgia & bammer losses are. Being they're both on the road, I don't see it ending well for him unless he shocks the SEC by winning 8 out of 12 games.

The last time we played Georgia tight on the road, that was Kirbs' first season. The last time we played bammer tight on the road, Nick Marshall set a school record for passing yards...8 years ago. We don't even have Nix playing for us this season.

I guess that's why I'm being more forgiving knowing that 2022 was going to be tough regardless, but that 3 game run vs Penn St., Mizzou and LSU will tell the story of Harsin's future.

Finish that stretch 5-0 or 4-1? The future seems bright.

3-2? Ok, need to make some adjustments and finish strong.

2-3? Probably start packing Bro.

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He's gone from Auburn, so it's probably just them timing the announcement (as I believe we did with timing ours today) 

Don't think so but could be wrong

1 hour ago, jknighton said:

I guess that's why I'm being more forgiving knowing that 2022 was going to be tough regardless, but that 3 game run vs Penn St., Mizzou and LSU will tell the story of Harsin's future.

Finish that stretch 5-0 or 4-1? The future seems bright.

3-2? Ok, need to make some adjustments and finish strong.

2-3? Probably start packing Bro.

It was bright at 6-2 in 2021.

5 minutes ago, wcware said:

Really? Maybe I’m confusing threads. Are we talking about Mason?

Yep don't think he takes a college job unless its as a HC like I said I could be wrong

• Like 1

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Yep don't think he takes a college job unless its as a HC like I said I could be wrong

Ok I gotcha. Thanks bud. War Eagle! What a great win today!

11 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Yeah. It’s unfortunate that this is a issue for some players. As I was watching I was wondering to what extent can a coach implement an”culture” that is in fact counter that of the mainstream culture? Just thinking out loud here. 

So this is the first time I’ve seen someone broach this subject and I’m glad you did because this has been my main concern from the beginning. Harsin is a very no nonsense, hard ass type of guy. This type of coach and this type of attitude worked 30 years ago but does it work now? I guess we will see. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

So this is the first time I’ve seen someone broach this subject and I’m glad you did because this has been my main concern from the beginning. Harsin is a very no nonsense, hard ass type of guy. This type of coach and this type of attitude worked 30 years ago but does it work now? I guess we will see. 

As with most things in life its all in how he balances the approach.

Check out the Netflix doc series Cheer if you haven’t. Some pretty hard ass coaching examples with successful outcomes 

• Thanks 1

Just now, GreenTiger said:

As with most things in life its all in how he balances the approach.

Check out the Netflix doc series Cheer if you haven’t. Some pretty hard ass coaching examples with successful outcomes 

That’s very true. 

I have watched Cheer and you’re right. Both hard ass coaches, both receive absolute devotion from their players. It can be done, just gotta wait to see if Harsin can figure it out. He seems to bring an old school approach to a new school arena. 

I did love seeing him with the students at the BBall game. I would like to see more FBall players there as a matter of fact. 

15 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

His approach was getting great results just a year or two ago. A couple of questions. Why was his culture recipe working so well at Boise? Are kids in that part of the country more responsive to a hard ass coach than southern kids? Why are so many draft eligible players choosing to come back? We’re  focused on the ones leaving but guys like Hall and Pappoe and Wooden all signed up for another year with this staff. Same for the o-line and Shenker. My point is different strokes for different folks. A lot of youth today have no desire of going into the military, while thousands are eager to sign up to be Rangers and Green Berets and SEALs. Some kids sign up for a relaxed vibe. Some want to be elite. Harsin’s approach works for those who want it. He’s in the process now of finding those guys who want and seek his approach, and getting rid of those who don’t. I have no idea how this will end but it’s his job at stake and he’s deciding to win or lose on his terms with his guys. If it works he will likely be here a long time. If not, he won’t. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

11 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

This is just flat out crazy way of looking at this.   Nick Saban is the biggest ahole on the planet when it comes to coaching.  Do you think he is having a problem?  What about Kirby Smart? He is from the same mold.   You can be tough hard nosed coach, but it’s how you handle interaction off the field with the players.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

A couple of questions. Why was his culture recipe working so well at Boise? Are kids in that part of the country more responsive to a hard ass coach than southern kids? Why are so many draft eligible players choosing to come back? We’re  focused on the ones leaving but guys like Hall and Pappoe and Wooden all signed up for another year with this staff. Same for the o-line and Shenker. My point is different strokes for different folks. A lot of youth today have no desire of going into the military, while thousands are eager to sign up to be Rangers and Green Berets and SEALs. Some kids sign up for a relaxed vibe. Some want to be elite. Harsin’s approach works for those who want it. He’s in the process now of finding those guys who want and seek his approach, and getting rid of those who don’t. I have no idea how this will end but it’s his job at stake and he’s deciding to win or lose on his terms with his guys. If it works he will likely be here a long time. If not, he won’t. 

I totally agree with all of this. No arguments here, just pointing out something that has been on my mind since he got hired. I do think his way of thinking on the football field will breed elite NFL level players. Just gotta get those types of players. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

This is just flat out crazy way of looking at this.   Nick Saban is the biggest ahole on the planet when it comes to coaching.  Do you think he is having a problem?  What about Kirby Smart? He is from the same mold.   You can be tough hard nosed coach, but it’s how you handle interaction off the field with the players.   

Not arguing against this. I know the board is usually nothing but back and forth 99% of the time but sometimes people ain’t trying to argue. Lol.

I want the hard nosed, a**hole coach. I just think we got to get the types of players that respond to this type of coach. 

Edited by WarEagleHunter1221
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Didba said:

Facts. CDM called the iron bowl, guys. It's just the more likely scenario.

So, do you have facts or just a more likely scenario? The two things are a bit different, you know.

Does he have facts that the defensive coordinator called  the defensive plays  of the iron bowl? Are people really this stupid?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

His approach was getting great results just a year or two ago. A couple of questions. Why was his culture recipe working so well at Boise? Are kids in that part of the country more responsive to a hard ass coach than southern kids? Why are so many draft eligible players choosing to come back? We’re  focused on the ones leaving but guys like Hall and Pappoe and Wooden all signed up for another year with this staff. Same for the o-line and Shenker. My point is different strokes for different folks. A lot of youth today have no desire of going into the military, while thousands are eager to sign up to be Rangers and Green Berets and SEALs. Some kids sign up for a relaxed vibe. Some want to be elite. Harsin’s approach works for those who want it. He’s in the process now of finding those guys who want and seek his approach, and getting rid of those who don’t. I have no idea how this will end but it’s his job at stake and he’s deciding to win or lose on his terms with his guys. If it works he will likely be here a long time. If not, he won’t. 

Absolutely. There are guys out there that still want intensity, just gotta find them. Wooden, Hall, Shenker, King, and Jarquez are a few that instantly come to mind on those types of guys. Jarquez in particular seems like the ultimate type of player Harsin wants.

Intense, hard-working, loves to workout and ball. A little overlooked but actually super talented. A product of good evaluation and development from the staff, which Harsin emphasizes. Hopefully a lot of the guys from the incoming class fit this mold as well, we'll see.

• Like 1