Coach Derek Mason out?

Tony4AU

45 minutes ago, DAG said:

Does he have facts that the defensive coordinator called  the defensive plays  of the iron bowl? Are people really this stupid?

Mason called the IB, I on the other hand have successfully called every game we have won since probably around 86.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

So this is the first time I’ve seen someone broach this subject and I’m glad you did because this has been my main concern from the beginning. Harsin is a very no nonsense, hard ass type of guy. This type of coach and this type of attitude worked 30 years ago but does it work now? I guess we will see. 

It does.

On 1/21/2022 at 6:29 PM, au302 said:

As a suffering 1L I also appreciate those words of encouragement. Hell of a career to be able to do that. Props to you good sir

I meant to say this the other day, but if I can recommend you two things.  1) Make the best grades you can in your writing courses and garner as many writing accolades as you possibly can while in school.  I made the only A+ in my 1L LRW1 course, and every job I have gotten as a clerk came off the writing sample I pulled from that course. 2) Try and find a mentor and clerk for them as long as possible. I found mine late in my second summer but it has paid dividends in exp.

Good luck and just do the work, you will be fine.👈

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Viper said:

Obviously money is not an issue to fire a HC or pay a recruit.

If he wins 6 games max in 2022, without question he is gone.

7 games? Depends on who the losses were to and most importantly, how bad was the IB loss.

8 games? He stays.

Serious question and I promise I'm not trying to argue with you but are you wanting Harsin to be fired after the 2022 season? The reason for me asking this is because the majority of your posts really come off that way. Almost like you have a serious axe to grind with him. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

His approach was getting great results just a year or two ago. A couple of questions. Why was his culture recipe working so well at Boise? Are kids in that part of the country more responsive to a hard ass coach than southern kids? Why are so many draft eligible players choosing to come back? We’re  focused on the ones leaving but guys like Hall and Pappoe and Wooden all signed up for another year with this staff. Same for the o-line and Shenker. My point is different strokes for different folks. A lot of youth today have no desire of going into the military, while thousands are eager to sign up to be Rangers and Green Berets and SEALs. Some kids sign up for a relaxed vibe. Some want to be elite. Harsin’s approach works for those who want it. He’s in the process now of finding those guys who want and seek his approach, and getting rid of those who don’t. I have no idea how this will end but it’s his job at stake and he’s deciding to win or lose on his terms with his guys. If it works he will likely be here a long time. If not, he won’t. 

I'll offer my theory on why Boise is what Boise is. There are some schools that suffer such serious recruiting disadvantages that they have to implement an atypical approach to give themselves some sort of edge. 

The service academies all run the triple option. Know why? They can't recruit elite talent, so they harness discipline, toughness, and mastery of a system that helps them level the playing field. Other small schools like Hawaii (in early 2000s) or Western Kentucky in modern day have implemented air raids to give themselves an edge.

I think Boise's unique edge came in their hard nosed mentality and program. They had to have something to make a school in talent-destitute Idaho competitive. 

But these are all systems that are used mostly because talent is impossible to acquire in those programs. Obviously, Auburn doesn't have that problem. 

So I wonder if Harsin finds himself in the awkward spot of being torn. He now has legitimate shots at 4 and 5 star talent, unlike at Boise. But what is more important to him? Talent? Or Toughness? He is likely trying to find a balance. That may be difficult, though. Might just have to say screw the flashy recruits and handpick guys who are bought in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aubaseball said:

This is just flat out crazy way of looking at this.   Nick Saban is the biggest ahole on the planet when it comes to coaching.  Do you think he is having a problem?  What about Kirby Smart? He is from the same mold.   You can be tough hard nosed coach, but it’s how you handle interaction off the field with the players.   

Saban and Smart's prowess has absolutely 0 to do with their player interactions or coaching style. They are successful because of their NFL draft track record.

They could run a no-rules hippie commune or an authoritarian prison, but as long as they re putting kids in the 1st round, recruits will beat down the door to get there.

If Harsin has NFL draft success, all recruiting and coaching staff concerns will vanish. It will mean Harsin has the system on its feet and it will become self-sustaining.

The question is will his methods be so abrasive that he doesn't get the time to build an NFL pipeline?

19 hours ago, Viper said:

This tells you all you need to know about the downward spiral of the football program. The most celebrated hire Harsin made doesn’t take a job elsewhere…he resigns…in one season.

As has been uttered countless times the last several years…thank God for Bruce Pearl. 

I couldn’t agree more; as you can see, the Harsin Apologists do not agree with you.

As they say: ignorance is bliss.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I couldn’t agree more; as you can see, the Harsin Apologists do not agree with you.

Some are blissfully ignorant. Don’t believe either group is determined about whether they support the hire or not.

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Saban and Smart's prowess has absolutely 0 to do with their player interactions or coaching style. They are successful because of their NFL draft track record.

They could run a no-rules hippie commune or an authoritarian prison, but as long as they re putting kids in the 1st round, recruits will beat down the door to get there.

If Harsin has NFL draft success, all recruiting and coaching staff concerns will vanish. It will mean Harsin has the system on its feet and it will become self-sustaining.

The question is will his methods be so abrasive that he doesn't get the time to build an NFL pipeline?

Football requires discipline, and toughness. Smart and Saban have high standards of on field execution, discipline, and personal accountability. Those first round kids still have to be coached and developed. What makes them great is not only how they recruit but how they coach and develop the talent they bring in. 

33 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Football requires discipline, and toughness. Smart and Saban have high standards of on field execution, discipline, and personal accountability. Those first round kids still have to be coached and developed. What makes them great is not only how they recruit but how they coach and develop the talent they bring in. 

IMO, more about the stars. Agree they require coaching, but don’t have as far to go and have higher ceiling. That’s how Saban can change out coaches so much with continued success. Just look at who has also had success with them. The systems with sustained high recruits.

5 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Serious question and I promise I'm not trying to argue with you but are you wanting Harsin to be fired after the 2022 season? The reason for me asking this is because the majority of your posts really come off that way. Almost like you have a serious axe to grind with him. 

You can add 2or 3 from this thread alone to that list of Anti-Harsin’s… snd they have been since game #1.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Ok. Let’s look at the bigger picture here.

So… CDM is a old HC SEC re-tread that was dismissed from his last job and might be hired (no confirmation yet) to lesser prominent program. On the same side of the ball we have CZE who is a Auburn man who is young and hungry and with a very bright future getting a promotion to stay and work with the program. 

If a person says the downward spiral is evident based on one coach leaving than they are not being fairly or honestly objective. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

IMO, more about the stars. Agree they require coaching, but don’t have as far to go and have higher ceiling. That’s how Saban can change out coaches so much with continued success. Just look at who has also had success with them. The systems with sustained high recruits.

If that was the case places like USC, Miami , Texas, LSU etc would have continuous SUSTAINED success. Alabama has sustained success for a reason. Stars important but he created a blue print  (culture) which keeps the players playing at a high level.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GreenTiger said:

If a person says the downward spiral is evident based on one coach leaving than they are not being fairly or honestly objective. 

The bigger picture is we are now starting another season with brand new coordinators in year two of a new head coach's tenure, hemorrhaging DL to the portal, still not at SEC level on the offensive line, a room full of bench players coming in at QB, no real playmakers on an offensive unit that will likely be less talented overall from last season. Our coach is replacing coaches with recruiting ties in the southeast with Boise staff who will need years to build relationships and we have a tougher schedule coming this year. 

Coaches and coordinators leave all the time. To turn over a significant portion of your staff in year one when you're basically a project head coach getting your feet wet at the highest level is a bad look and a tough obstacle to overcome.  If the PTB have indicated to Harsin that he has 5 years to turn this thing around, no worries...but they aren't known for that much patience. 

8 hours ago, Didba said:

I meant to say this the other day, but if I can recommend you two things.  1) Make the best grades you can in your writing courses and garner as many writing accolades as you possibly can while in school.  I made the only A+ in my 1L LRW1 course, and every job I have gotten as a clerk came off the writing sample I pulled from that course. 2) Try and find a mentor and clerk for them as long as possible. I found mine late in my second summer but it has paid dividends in exp.

Good luck and just do the work, you will be fine.👈

Preciate it. I've been told the importance of that writing sample as well. That course has been super beneficial because it has changed the way I write in a matter of months. A ton of work (as expected), but most of it's interesting. Cheers to you on your last semester. Big things ahead. 👈

8 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

No axe to grind atoll with him personally. Didn't with Gus either, but he needed to go too.

I've mentioned previously he might have worked out if he had been hired in 1999 or 2009. Those were time periods more forgiving to allow HCs time to build over the years.

There's simply too many rock star HCs around us. Harsin is obviously not one. We need to start selling platinum records too.

• Facepalm 1

Just now, Viper said:

No axe to grind atoll with him personally. Didn't with Gus either, but he needed to go too.

I've mentioned previously he might have worked out if he had been hired in 1999 or 2009. Those were time periods more forgiving to allow HCs time to build over the years.

There's simply too many rock star HCs around us. Harsin is obviously not one. We need to start selling platinum records too.

So yes , you want him to fail and get fired? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Even they won't be able to ignore come 11/26/22.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

What record would Harsin have to make for YOU to believe he deserves another year?

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

What record would Harsin have to make for YOU to believe he deserves another year?

8 regular season wins minimum in 2022.

Edited by Viper
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I feel like some of the negativity in this thread is misdirected. Auburn went out and hired a coach with a good resume from a smaller conference because we didn't want to pay up for a proven name.

Hiring unproven coaches indicates that they are a bit of a project coach. However, some of you seem mad that Harsin - a coach we hired as a project - is, well, a project. Makes no sense.

I agree that staff turnover seems to be problematic at present, but give it time. If you want to be mad at the PTB for not hiring a big name, fine, but firing Harsin after two seasons will make us a lot closer to being Tennessee than to where we all want to be.

19 minutes ago, Viper said:

You say ignorant s*** you get forehead slapped.   What kind of petty punk  goes back and face slaps a post from a month ago for "vengeance"?   LMAO.

Such a bammer thing to do. 

Time to call a bammer poser a bammer poser.

• Facepalm 1