How Do We Investigate The "Power Brokers"

aucanucktiger

On 2/10/2022 at 8:56 PM, W.E.D said:

Yes, he blasted them for not giving him what he needed and approving salaries.

It's an issue he told to ESPN to make himself look better and paint the AD/Pres/BOT in bad light

would you post a link please? i am not about to argue but i would love to read or watch on youtube what he said.

7 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Not showing up at Bo Jackson's charity event, not attending the high school coaches meeting in Georgia and high school coaches asking why he hasn't made an effort to get to know them are all very real happenings.

it is my understanding he could get by with the coach em up theory and something changed his mind during or after the season supposedly. and he is now late starting but is getting more staff like that lady from Minnesota who was at auburn and left them to come back. on reddit friend has five or six cats he has offered to recently but i do not know how to go back and find that on reddit without going through hundreds of pages.

7 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Not showing up at Bo Jackson's charity event, not attending the high school coaches meeting in Georgia and high school coaches asking why he hasn't made an effort to get to know them are all very real happenings.

Confirmation bias much? 

Who gives a crap. 

Thee are more important things to do  for a head coach than go to Bo Jackson's charity event. When was the last time you saw Bo supporting the Auburn/football team?  When his pick, Pus Malzahn was fired, he seemed to disappear.  Does he love Auburn or Malzahn?

In one year as a head coach there is only so much time to get to know  every high school coach in Georgia,  Alabama ,  Florida,  Louisiana, Texas, TN, MS, etc.  

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Confirmation bias much? 

Who gives a crap. 

Thee are more important things to do  for a head coach than go to Bo Jackson's charity event. When was the last time you saw Bo supporting the Auburn/football team?  When his pick, Pus Malzahn was fired, he seemed to disappear.  Does he love Auburn or Malzahn?

In one year as a head coach there is only so much time to get to know  every high school coach in Georgia,  Alabama ,  Florida,  Louisiana, Texas, TN, MS, etc.  

i am sorry but you need to rethink the bo does not love auburn stuff. he will always love auburn. he might not like some of the coaches or whatever but that is a bold statement to not be true. how do i know? i have read dozens of articles over the years expressing his love for auburn.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i am sorry but you need to rethink the bo does not love auburn stuff. he will always love auburn. he might not like some of the coaches or whatever but that is a bold statement to not be true. how do i know? i have read dozens of articles over the years expressing his love for auburn.

Maybe.    I am sure Bo loves Auburn,  not sure which he loves more. Auburn,  or Malzahn.    May be, his pride from backing malzahn.  I have not seen hide nor hair of him since malzahn was fired.   I can not recall seeing him at any games last year. When was the last time you saw him in Auburn? 

I am a big Bo fan.   I doubt Harsin not attending hurt Bo's charity.   I do not see Harsin attending actually  helping the charity in any meaningful way.    I doubt Bo even noticed.    

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Bo Jackson attends about one game a season.  Remember he lives in Burr Ridge, Illinois so it isn't a quick drive over.

Regarding him not visiting the events or introducing himself to coaches, it was odd that he took so long.  He missed state-wide coaches' meetings that Saban and Smart were both at.  And other first-year coaches like Shane Beamer and Josh Heupel met some of these Georgia and Alabama coaches before Harsin did.

To Harsin's credit though, he seems to be doing better these last few weeks not only in introducing himself to coaches/private trainers, but also reaching out to players themselves.  I hope what woke him up was whiffing on Tomarrion Parker, who grew up an Auburn fan and didn't include Auburn in his top 5.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I am a big Bo fan.   I doubt Harsin not attending hurt Bo's charity.   I do not see Harsin attending actually  helping the charity in any meaningful way.    I doubt Bo even noticed.    

Harsin not attending hurt Harsin and Auburn, not Bo's charity.  Harsin failing to attend Georgia and Alabama high school coaches meetings hurt Harsin and Auburn, not the high school coaches.

Let's hope Harsin has learned something from these failings and pulled his head out. If recruiting and portal management haven't improved by the end of next season, AU will be looking for our next head football coach by December.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

it is my understanding he could get by with the coach em up theory and something changed his mind during or after the season supposedly. and he is now late starting but is getting more staff like that lady from Minnesota who was at auburn and left them to come back. on reddit friend has five or six cats he has offered to recently but i do not know how to go back and find that on reddit without going through hundreds of pages.

I don't think anybody is against developing players.  However, like most things in life, someone's ceiling is often impacted by where they start.  Depending on developing players to compensate for recruiting the best athletes is a recipe for disappointment when your competition is busy developing 4 & 5 star athletes.  Harsin changing, if he indeed is changing, is the direct result of the come to Jesus meetings he had with the administration.  He knows he can be fired and that he can be fired with cause if he doesn't attend events and do the things necessary to build relationships. 

The next question will be if he has changed how he treats those in his orbit. That isn't about being nice to everyone.  That is about treating people with respect and common decency.  It doesn't take a strong man to use his position to put someone down with their words. A true sign of strength is the ability to lift people up.

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Maybe.    I am sure Bo loves Auburn,  not sure which he loves more. Auburn,  or Malzahn.    May be, his pride from backing malzahn.  I have not seen hide nor hair of him since malzahn was fired.   I can not recall seeing him at any games last year. When was the last time you saw him in Auburn? 

As in life, there are things that you shouldn't have to be told to do.  Grown men in leadership positions should not have to be told to treat others with respect.  Likewise, a grown man that has coached and played college football should not have to be told after taking the Auburn job that he should make every effort to develop a relationship with Bo Jackson.  In the same line of thought, who would take a job and not make every effort to make a good impression on those men and women that are power brokers?  Everybody has a boss.

lookgood.jpg

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 2

Confirmation bias much? 

Who gives a crap. 

Nobody said a word about needing to get to know every coach in all those states.  However, when important coaches in Georgia and Alabama are telling people that they have no contact with Auburn and the current staff, that is a problem.  Auburn recruits Georgia like a home state, always has and always will.  An Auburn coach needs to be on a first name basis with coaches of every school that has been in the state playoffs at a minimum.  Not doing that would be like a lumber salesman not knowing the buyer contact at Home Depot.

7 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

As in life, there are things that you shouldn't have to be told to do.  Grown men in leadership positions should not have to be told to treat others with respect.  Likewise, a grown man that has coached and played college football should not have to be told after taking the Auburn job that he should make every effort to develop a relationship with Bo Jackson.  In the same line of thought, who would take a job and not make every effort to make a good impression on those men and women that are power brokers?  Everybody has a boss.

How do you even know this is the case with Bo?  Have you ever considered he had a prior commitment or family oBligation?  

you are trying to make the claim that the guy who attended Charles Barkley’s golf outing and takes Charles calls once a month doesn’t know enough to talk to Bo.  

everybody just think about what is being claimed here, this character assasination by Auburn folks is damning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thee are more important things to do  for a head coach than go to Bo Jackson's charity event.

If you don't understand that there are certain figures and certain events that matter at the school you're coaching at, you're not going to last long there.  Doesn't matter whether it's Auburn, Georgia, Alabama, LSU or whoever.  

When was the last time you saw Bo supporting the Auburn/football team?  When his pick, Pus Malzahn was fired, he seemed to disappear.  Does he love Auburn or Malzahn?

He lives up near Chicago.  It's not like he can just pop over at a moment's notice.

This is a strawman.  No one expects him to know every high school coach in all those states.  They rightly expect him to make getting to know as many as possible (especially at the key talent-producing schools in AL, GA, FL and MS) a top priority given the recruiting deficit we find ourselves in.  

Like it or not, major college football at the SEC level is about more than just football itself - the practices, the X's and O's.  With the kind of money being thrown around and the people who have that money, there's a political and relational aspect to the job.  There's obviously a relational aspect to recruiting.  There's the shaking hands and kissing babies aspect of interacting with and relating to the fanbase.  It's just all part of the gig.  If that's not something a football coach wants to do, then perhaps the NFL would be more to his liking if he can break in there.  But you don't get to deprioritize those aspects of the job in college.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

How do you even know this is the case with Bo?  Have you ever considered he had a prior commitment or family oBligation?  

you are trying to make the claim that the guy who attended Charles Barkley’s golf outing and takes Charles calls once a month doesn’t know enough to talk to Bo.  

everybody just think about what is being claimed here, this character assasination by Auburn folks is damning.

How is the truth a character assassination?  When grown men that are charged with leading and developing young men, and paid a fortune to do so, show bad judgment, they should be questioned.  We are at the most critical time in the history of Auburn football.  Auburn is the only program trending in the wrong direction, outside Vandy.  Everyone should pay attention and ask why?

People are concerned because "It just means more.." or as Bryan Harsin believes the SEC slogan to be "It's just more important."

Edited by AU9377

Just now, AU9377 said:

How is the truth a character assassination?  When grown men that are charged with leading and developing young men, and paid a fortune to do so, show bad judgment, they should be questioned.  We are at the most critical time in the history of Auburn football.  Auburn is the only program trending in the wrong direction, outside Vandy.  Everyone should pay attention and ask why?

Assuming and proclaiming that he blew off a golf outing without proper knowledge is exactly that.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Assuming and proclaiming that he blew off a golf outing without proper knowledge is exactly that.

Nobody has refuted that in any way.  Nobody has refuted his decision to not attend the annual high school coaches meeting in Macon, Ga either.  I know for a fact he didn't attend that meeting.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

In a years Time it is going to be nice to say cheers to the ones who have stayed strong 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Just now, DAG said:

In a years Time it is going to be nice to say cheers to the ones who have stayed strong 

giphy.gif

We will all need a stiff drink or five between now and then.

17 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

If you don't understand that there are certain figures and certain events that matter at the school you're coaching at, you're not going to last long there.  Doesn't matter whether it's Auburn, Georgia, Alabama, LSU or whoever.   

Same with fans.  There are more important things to do than attend a fundraiser.  esp. if our program is doing as poorly you think.

He lives up near Chicago.  It's not like he can just pop over at a moment's notice.

Same goes for Harsin.   It's not like he can just pop over at a moment's notice.

This is a strawman.  No one expects him to know every high school coach in all those states.

NO,  It is not. people are saying coaches are upset  Harsin didn't get to know them.   It was actually posted by  AU9377 as ammo against Harsin.      OF COURSE there are going to be a lot of coaches Harsin didn't get to know in 1 year. Relationships take time.  A lot of time.  Again,  especially  if our program is as bad as you portray,   

Some of you are making it look like a person vendetta against Harsin.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Same with fans.  There are more important things to do than attend a fundraiser.  esp. if our program is doing as poorly you think.

No, not really.  The fans are just fans.  The guy tasked with rebuilding a program has to understand who the important figures at a school are and show his face at important events involving them.  

Attending a fundraiser isn't going to prevent him from doing any other aspect of his job.  But it could hinder his ability to develop the ties and allies he needs to be successful.

Same goes for Harsin.   It's not like he can just pop over at a moment's notice.

He literally can.  Bo Jackson has been back to Auburn many times and he's not actually in charge of the football program.  Harsin is and he's new.  He needs to establish these relationships well.  And this is one golf outing.

I know you think this thing where you just reverse everything and say "same" is working for you, but it's really not.

NO,  It is not. people are saying coaches are upset  Harsin didn't get to know them.   It was actually posted by  AU9377 as ammo against Harsin.      OF COURSE there are going to be a lot of coaches Harsin didn't get to know in 1 year. Relationships take time.  A lot of time.  Again,  especially  if our program is as bad as you portray,   

If you want to recruit at a high level at Auburn, and especially as a new coach with few recruiting ties to this area of the country, you should be doing everything in your power to meet and get to know high school coaches in your recruiting territory.  This is basic common sense.  And it's especially important given the recruiting problems we have right now and have had in certain position the last several years.

Some of you are making it look like a person vendetta against Harsin.

Nothing I'm saying is personal.  It's just the facts of the matter as they pertain to being a coach at a major college football school like Auburn in the premier conference in the country.  I want him to be successful here.  I'm not bringing this up as some pretext to get rid of him.  I'm bringing it up so he CAN be successful, if he'll learn from mistakes.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

No, not really.  The fans are just fans.  The guy tasked with rebuilding a program has to understand who the important figures at a school are and show his face at important events involving them.  

Attending a fundraiser isn't going to prevent him from doing any other aspect of his job.  But it could hinder his ability to develop the ties and allies he needs to be successful.

He literally can.  Bo Jackson has been back to Auburn many times and he's not actually in charge of the football program.  Harsin is and he's new.  He needs to establish these relationships well.  And this is one golf outing.

I know you think this thing where you just reverse everything and say "same" is working for you, but it's really not.

If you want to recruit at a high level at Auburn, and especially as a new coach with few recruiting ties to this area of the country, you should be doing everything in your power to meet and get to know high school coaches in your recruiting territory.  This is basic common sense.  And it's especially important given the recruiting problems we have right now and have had in certain position the last several years.

Nothing I'm saying is personal.  It's just the facts of the matter as they pertain to being a coach at a major college football school like Auburn in the premier conference in the country.  I want him to be successful here.  I'm not bringing this up as some pretext to get rid of him.  I'm bringing it up so he CAN be successful, if he'll learn from mistakes.

Agree he must change these actuals/perceptions to be successful. These were definitely shortcomings. I believe if this information had come out piece meal it would not have taken root but added to player/coaches movements,  and poor on the field results in last half of season, they were greatly negatively impactful. He must work just as hard to change all these negative aspects and still be successful on the field and in recruiting.

15 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Some of y'all are going to be miserable over the next few years if Harsin wins at a high level.

To the contrary, I will be ecstatic.  I will be shocked beyond anything I have ever witnessed, but nonetheless, I will be a very happy man.

Just now, AU9377 said:

To the contrary, I will be ecstatic.  I will be shocked beyond anything I have ever witnessed, but nonetheless, I will be a very happy man.

Same.  I'm literally saying things that will help him be more successful if he's willing to hear them (not necessarily from me specifically, but from those near enough to him to tell him.)

Us fans are hilarious bunch. 

Literally a week ago, the majority was he was gone because A, B, C, D. There is no way he can survive even if he is retained.

Next year when Auburn succeeds: glad he listened to us all along.

Edited by DAG
  • Thanks 1