Survey Says....Will Coach Harsin -

Beaker

Poll - moving forward....2/14  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Is Coach Harsin a learner? Will he learn from this first year/cycle?

• Yes - seems intelligent and capable. Surely, he will grow from year one.
    • No, I don't believe I have seen enough to believe he will change one iota.
  2. 2. Will recruiting change?

• I believe Harsin will be more hands on - get into more schools and more frequently. He will learn from this cycle.
  3. 3. Culture Changes?

• With the new facilities, the big hula-baloo last week and new season, I think Harsin will adjust some.

Just a quick survey to gauge how folks feel Coach Harsin may or may not adapt, moving forward.

Didn't like the way the first question was phrased. I agree with @Barnacle, there will be changes. But will they qualify as "growth"? I dunno.

Hard yes on 2. He's already started reaching out to high schools more, albeit extremely late and seemingly reluctantly. But still, progress is progress.

Hard no on 3. His cultural identity seems to be what gets him out of bed in the morning. 

• Like 3

I am in favor of anyone having to go through what Coach Harsin has been through the past two weeks but I believe this has lit a hire under him. I truly believe because of this event, things will be better for Auburn; which includes recruiting! 

Edited by maryland tiger
grammar
  • Love 1

I don't feel that the man should change one damn thing.  Double down CBH stick to your guns we will laugh in their face.  War Damn Eagle 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 3
  • Sad 1

No. Don’t think he has what it takes to recruit at a high level. His and the school’s combined incompetence has sabotaged this football program. What high level recruit would want to come to this dumpster fire? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

These are all pretty extreme answers. I’m sure he knows he has to adapt somewhat but I don’t expect a 180. I’d hope he’s more open to interacting with players from different backgrounds and glad handing boosters. I also think he’s set up to fail this year and be fired after the season. Anything less than 8-4 and I’d expect it to be his last season. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hay Field 101 said:

I don't feel that the man should change one damn thing.  Double down CBH stick to your guns we will laugh in their face.  War Damn Eagle 

Yeah going 0-fer on signing day really showed ‘em. People are laughing, alright.

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Didn't like the way the first question was phrased. I agree with @Barnacle, there will be changes. But will they qualify as "growth"? I dunno.

Hard yes on 2. He's already started reaching out to high schools more, albeit extremely late and seemingly reluctantly. But still, progress is progress.

Hard no on 3. His cultural identity seems to be what gets him out of bed in the morning. 

Just curious?

Where have you heard he has been 'reluctantly' having to reach out to HSs more? And do we know he IS doing it?

37 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

I am in favor of anyone having to go through what Coach Harsin has been through the past two weeks but I believe this has lit a hire under him. I truly believe because of this event, things will be better for Auburn; which includes recruiting! 

I hope for this but I really don't believe it will happen. #glassiswayhalfempty

6 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Just curious?

Where have you heard he has been 'reluctantly' having to reach out to HSs more? And do we know he IS doing it?

Just chatter around the water cooler that I choose to believe. 

Although we did see a flurry of pics from different schools and training facilities right before NSD. So we do know that he's doing it, but no, I can't say that it's reluctant.

I can only point out that the began the process extremely late- as in a year late- and that suggests to me a reluctance that would be in keeping with everything else I've heard about that guy.

But no, I haven't heard anyone specifically say, "Harsin hates talking to high school coaches." 

I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see anything really changing. So, I voted no on all three. But my strongest No is on recruiting. He gives off a very “my way or the Highway” vibe. With how the college football landscape is today, that approach is a fast track to running off coaches, players, and prospects, and isn’t going to win him any support with our meddlesome boosters. And unfortunately, after the whole debacle, he’s got an even steeper uphill battle for recruiting now. Right or not, the outward perception is that a) Harsin is on borrowed time at Auburn and b) Harsin doesn’t treat his players or coaches well. Who wants to commit to a coach that is allegedly a jerk and that has a decent likelihood of being fired at the end of the year? 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

Just a quick survey to gauge how folks feel Coach Harsin may or may not adapt, moving forward.

Why should CBH adjust his approach to cultural changes?  I've seen many folks on here applaud him for his hard stance and they've praised him for changing the culture since he's been here because they claimed the previous staff coddled the roster and made them soft.  So I don't understand why folks now think he should change his approach?

Edited by JerryAU
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Why should CBH adjust his approach to cultural changes?  I've seen many folks on here applaud him for his hard stance and they've praised him for changing the culture since he's been here because they claimed the previous staff coddled the roster and made them soft.  So I don't understand why folks now think he should change his approach?

Because what he’s done so far has ran off players and coaches, and has him at odds with the people who hold all the cards. He can’t succeed by continuing to do what he’s been doing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Just chatter around the water cooler that I choose to believe. 

Although we did see a flurry of pics from different schools and training facilities right before NSD. So we do know that he's doing it, but no, I can't say that it's reluctant.

I can only point out that the began the process extremely late- as in a year late- and that suggests to me a reluctance that would be in keeping with everything else I've heard about that guy.

But no, I haven't heard anyone specifically say, "Harsin hates talking to high school coaches." 

When I read things like that, my first thought is wondering if he just did not understand what he was getting into by stepping up to this level.  Auburn has two main rivals, and both have been consistently recruiting at the highest level.  It is no large leap of logic to deduce that recruiting is going to be a substantial chunk of the job, if you intend to consistently compete with those programs, or beat them on the way to championships.  Top players are not just going to walk in off the street, and you cannot order them on Amazon, so this is definitely not the job for someone that is not all-in on recruiting hard.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see anything really changing. So, I voted no on all three. But my strongest No is on recruiting. He gives off a very “my way or the Highway” vibe. With how the college football landscape is today, that approach is a fast track to running off coaches, players, and prospects, and isn’t going to win him any support with our meddlesome boosters. And unfortunately, after the whole debacle, he’s got an even steeper uphill battle for recruiting now. Right or not, the outward perception is that a) Harsin is on borrowed time at Auburn and b) Harsin doesn’t treat his players or coaches well. Who wants to commit to a coach that is allegedly a jerk and that has a decent likelihood of being fired at the end of the year? 

I agree Scots, too much damage has been done with the events of last week and it's a black eye that leaves a lasting impression.  

I voted yes on all 3 though, because I think he will try to change a few things.  I just don't think it will matter that much in the end when Auburn needs to reach recruiting and coaching levels of the SEC's elite level teams.  That hill is too steep for this staff to climb and it was made much worse with the most recent circus events. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Hay Field 101 said:

So he'll continue to resist adaptation while the NIL changing the entire football landscape, will not make relationships will HS coaches, ignore anything happening outside the football complex wrt the players & their lives & then get fired in year 3 and going into '24 we'll have the most talent depleted Roster most here outside of @augolf1716have seen in our life times (I'm sure there was at least one time worse in our last 100+ years of football)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

When I read things like that, my first thought is wondering if he just did not understand what he was getting into by stepping up to this level.  Auburn has two main rivals, and both have been consistently recruiting at the highest level.  It is no large leap of logic to deduce that recruiting is going to be a substantial chunk of the job, if you intend to consistently compete with those programs, or beat them on the way to championships.  Top players are not just going to walk in off the street, and you cannot order them on Amazon, so this is definitely not the job for someone that is not all-in on recruiting hard.

It's really interesting to me. 

Pure conjecture here, but I don't think he minds working really hard to recruit good players. I feel like he had to have worked his ass off to get guys from very far away to come to Boise. The average distance of home towns from Boise on his roster there was mind-boggling. And I can't imagine what kind of research went into identifying prospects in random little towns in Wyoming and northern California and the panhandle of Texas. 

But it seems he wasn't ready for the human aspect of it, of connecting with people in the area and fostering those relationships. Suffice it to say, that part doesn't seem like his strong suit. And I get it. I wouldn't be able to do it, either.

But I fear that's the kind of thing that either a person has or they don't. And if we're having to build these relationships from scratch with a guy in charge for whom that doesn't come naturally... yeah... I dunno. We'll see. 

• Like 2

I don't think he'll resist to try to adapt and make changes, but he's never going to be a Mark Richt type coach here, a well loved and revered coach.   I just think he's too hard core for the youth of today. 

Like it or not he's a hardass and that obviously doesn't go over well with every player or asst coach.  I think he can work on being more considerate of his players, get to know them and their background better and he can try to ingratiate himself with their upbringing.  Listen to them and their problems and then try to work on helping them reach the next level academically and athletically so that they end up in better surroundings than they were raised.  

I would 100% support him hiring a psychology support staff the help him evaluate each player on the team.  Get feedback from the psychologist and learn how to treat each player and how to praise, punish and drive the players.  What works for one guy may not work for another.  He needs help with this and the Auburn Admin should be willing to fund it immediately.   

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Yeah going 0-fer on signing day really showed ‘em. People are laughing, alright.

Look everyone knows that you don't like him. You and a lot of others that is a given. So are you going to be one of the nagging wet blankets that just has to inflict negative garbage every time there is a post about him? Yea yea everyone has an opinion.  Blah blah and so on. If you hate him so much then why are you and still hanging around? He is not going anywhere right now and for that matter not for a while. So put your pads back on suck it up and lets play with the cards that have been dealt or take ya ball and go home.

Now let the fire reign down on me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know the negative Nancy's are coming at me can't wait for the jellyfish remarks. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

When I read things like that, my first thought is wondering if he just did not understand what he was getting into by stepping up to this level. 

He had a staff with several seasoned coaches that had recruited and already built relationships when they got here.  Caddy is on the staff, and Bobo, Friend and Mason had all been working the recruiting trail for many years.  So IMO it shouldn't have been a completely new concept to start inroads with this region of talent.  All it should've took was a handshake and an introduction by Mason-Bobo-Friend-Carnell to get him in the door.  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Hay Field 101 said:

Look everyone knows that you don't like him. You and a lot of others that is a given. So are you going to be one of the nagging wet blankets that just has to inflict negative garbage every time there is a post about him? Yea yea everyone has an opinion.  Blah blah and so on. If you hate him so much then why are you and still hanging around? He is not going anywhere right now and for that matter not for a while. So put your pads back on suck it up and lets play with the cards that have been dealt or take ya ball and go home.

Now let the fire reign down on me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know the negative Nancy's are coming at me can't wait for the jellyfish remarks. 

Why am I still here? Because I love Auburn and Auburn is much bigger than you, me, Bryan Harsin, Jimmy Rane, Bo Jackson, etc. 

I want CBH to succeed because that’s what best for Auburn. But you don’t have to be an idiot and say he should keep right on plugging with no changes. I take it you’re a stubborn guy IRL and appreciate stubbornness from a coach. But nobody in this business can afford to be stubborn. Saban proved this by completely overhauling his style of play. 

But you do you. Let’s keep alienating people and scaring off recruits/transfers and see if there will be enough wins to “laugh in their faces”.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's really interesting to me. 

Pure conjecture here, but I don't think he minds working really hard to recruit good players. I feel like he had to have worked his ass off to get guys from very far away to come to Boise. The average distance of home towns from Boise on his roster there was mind-boggling. And I can't imagine what kind of research went into identifying prospects in random little towns in Wyoming and northern California and the panhandle of Texas. 

But it seems he wasn't ready for the human aspect of it, of connecting with people in the area and fostering those relationships. Suffice it to say, that part doesn't seem like his strong suit. And I get it. I wouldn't be able to do it, either.

But I fear that's the kind of thing that either a person has or they don't. And if we're having to build these relationships from scratch with a guy in charge for whom that doesn't come naturally... yeah... I dunno. We'll see. 

Pure conjecture here as well, but I suspect that recruiting at Boise State and at Auburn are vastly different.  At Boise State, he probably did not have to sell the program hard, or forge relationships with high school coaches.  I imagine that players without major P5 offers were lining up to go there, and evaluation was more important than actual recruiting.  The high school coaches probably called him, trying to get their players recruited.

At Auburn, he has two NFL pipelines to compete with, and they are both within 200 miles.  Then there is the rest of the SEC, and some ACC programs to compete with.  The competition is very aggressive, AND he has to convince recruits that they want to come to Auburn instead of [insert other top 25 program here].  As you said, the human aspect of it.  That was probably a lot less important at Boise State.

• Like 2