2023 Offensive/Defensive Line Recruiting

toddc

On 4/1/2022 at 7:08 PM, Tigerpro2a said:

Heck yes. We need big Gingers....they have a mean streak!

Every red head OL I've ever been around were just nasty

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4-star OT Wilkin Formby has 'the most important' visit to Auburn

Jeffrey Leeabout 13 hours
local-ol-target-wilkin-formby-talks-about-alabamas-new-coaching-hire Wilkin Formby-Tuscaloosa News

Four-star offensive tackle Wilkin Formby visited Auburn on Monday.

It was Formby’s fifth visit to the Plains, but the one that stands out the most.

“It was one of the most important visits to Auburn that I’ve had, if not the most important visit,” Formby said.

Formby, from Northridge in Tuscaloosa, Ala., watched as the Tigers practiced in preparation for Saturday’s A-Day game. He kept a close eye on the offensive line, as well as the coaches, most notably offensive line coach Will Friend and coach Bryan Harsin.

“I got to see Coach Friend in action and Coach Harsin in action and the rest of the staff, too,” Formby said. “It was exciting to see practice. Coach Friend coaches with a passionate edge and he really cares about his players and developing them. He’s a really good coach.”

Formby also spent time with Friend off the practice field, as well as Harsin.

“I talked to Coach Harsin more on this visit,” Formby said. “It was the most I’ve ever gotten to talk to him. It was really good for me to pick his brain and get a feel for him.”

Impressed with Harsin, Auburn coaches

Formby was impressed with Auburn’s second-year coach.

“Coach Harsin is a great guy and a great coach,” Formby said. “He’s a great coach as far as Xs and Os, but he’s also a great person as well. All of the coaches are. They are good people as well as good coaches. They’re about relationships and important stuff like that. And they’re going to coach you and push you hard, develop trust with you so that they can coach you even harder.”

Formby left his fifth visit with high interest in Auburn. He plans to return before making a commitment.

“Auburn is a great program, for sure,” Formby said. “And I’ve been able to see Auburn in different atmospheres. I’ve been in camp, so I’ve been coached by them. I have been to practice, so I’ve gotten to see them coach. I’ve also seen the recruiting side of things, as well as a game. Their fans and how much energy they bring, it’s exciting going to games there. I feel like I have a good understanding of their program.”

Formby doesn’t list any favorites at this time. He plans to announce a top group of schools soon.

“I will do a top seven or top 10 shortly,” Formby said.

The On3 Consensus, a complete and equally-weighted, industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies, ranks Formby the No. 10 offensive tackle in the class and No. 132 overall recruit.

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

Gavin Hill

Edited by toddc
  • Like 3

Auburn makes the cut for top DL target Joshua Horton

Cole Pinkston6 minutes
Joshua Horton 4.JPG

Auburn will stay in the hunt for a top DL target in 3-star Joshua Horton. He has been on campus at Auburn more than a few times as of late. He plans to be back as well. While Horton has just put out his top ten schools, Auburn is absolutely at or near the top of them. The visits say so. 

The On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine holds Auburn way above the rest of the competition. The Tigers hold a commanding lead with 97.8%. 

Top schools

Horton has decided to focus on a top 10 of Auburn, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Michigan State, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Nebraska, UCF, Tennessee, and West Virginia. Although he just narrowed it to ten, Horton himself says that a commitment is coming soon. We are sure yet how soon, but more than likely this summer. 

Why Auburn could land Horton

Horton is, of course, teammates with recent Auburn commit Terrance Love. The two teammates have visited Auburn together multiple times. Love mentioned the big DL target as someone he is recruiting to Auburn. 

As of right now, Horton appears to be a take for the Tigers. They want to sign a big DL class and have multiple offers out currently. Not only that, they have had many DL visitors over the past month. That means they have the attention of big DL all over the country. 

With so many options at the moment, Horton may not wait too long to make a final decision. If he makes a decision soon, Auburn is absolutely in the best shape to land him.

• Like 1

Updated On3 5-star: No. 13, DL James Smith

Peter Warrenabout 2 hours
  (Chad Simmons/On3)

Now that official visits are already taking place, the recruiting world has officially turned its eyes toward the Class of 2023. With a bevy of notable quarterbacks, a geographic diversity among the nation’s top players and plenty of other notable storylines, the 2023 cycle is shaping up to be one of the most interesting in recent memory. And, per usual, the players at the top of the class will be among the most highly recruited in the nation. The latest edition of the On300 features 15 players with a coveted five-star rating. Next up on the countdown is the No. 13 overall prospect in the 2023 cycle, Montgomery (Ala.) Carver defensive lineman James Smith.

According to the On3 Recruiting Prediction MachineAlabama has a 50.0% chance and Georgia has a 39.6% chance of landing the five-star defensive lineman. Auburn is at 8.1%. Every other team has a 1% chance or less of landing Smith. 

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2

Updated On3 5-star: No. 8, EDGE Qua Russaw

Jeremy Crabtreeabout 2 hours
Qua Russaw 5 copy 1.jpg Five-star EDGE Qua Russaw. (Chad Simmons/On3)

Now that official visits are already taking place, the recruiting world has officially turned its eyes toward the Class of 2023. With a bevy of notable quarterbacks, a geographic diversity among the nation’s top players and plenty of other notable storylines, the 2023 cycle is shaping up to be one of the most interesting in recent memory. And, per usual, the players at the top of the class will be among the most highly recruited in the nation. The latest edition of the On300 features 15 players with a coveted five-star rating. Next up on the countdown is the No. 8 overall prospect in the 2023 cycle, Montgomery (Ala.) Carver EDGE Qua Russaw.

Qua Russaw has held the No. 8 spot the past couple of updates. He’s also ranked as the No. 3 EDGE in the country and the best prospect in Alabama, according to On3.

According to the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine, Georgia has a 49.6% chance of landing his commitment. That’s followed by Alabama at 33.8% and Auburn at 13.1%.

Qua Russaw Scouting Summary

“Qua Russaw is a rugged, athletic EDGE defender who plays with high-level play strength and speed in pursuit. Has adequate size at around 6-foot-3, 230 pounds. Additionally, he is highly active as a high school player on a snap-to-snap basis. Plays with one of the best effort levels that we’ve seen from a defender in the 2023 cycle. “Furthermore, he excels as a pursuit defender, using his speed and motor to track down plays sideline to sideline. Very strong with the ability to stack and shed offensive linemen. Also sees some snaps as an off-ball linebacker. Highly productive as a junior with 27.5 tackles for loss and 16.5 sacks. Wins primarily due to his athleticism, play strength and effort level. Will need to continue honing his pass rush moves.”  Charles Power, On3 Director of Scouting and Rankings

Edited by toddc
  • Thanks 1

It seems early this month and last month we saw a lot of O-line types now it seems to be D-Line types.  The last couple D-Line it looks like either Alabama or Georgia were favorites with the other as second favorite then Auburn way behind third.

Are there any O-line or D-Line that you think Auburn is the favorite for right now and if so who? 

Also any players any positions you think might be committing to Auburn soon?

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Are there any O-line or D-Line that you think Auburn is the favorite for right now and if so who? 

Seems like we led for this guy.   Most thought he would commit this spring, some have claimed he's a silent (which means nothing IMO)

https://247sports.com/Player/Clay-Wedin-46098083/

• Like 1