The Justin Powell Saga (Merged)

tgrogan21

1 minute ago, chizhead said:

Get a transfer guard,(PG or CG) or two from the portal and play bigboy ball and Powell will become an afterthought

We need a transfer PG regardless but if Trey Alexander shows out  then it would greatly lessen the blow of losing Justin.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

@mcgufcm May be his camp more than he.

Sorry. That doesn't fly. A college kid can decide whether he wants to remain at his current college. His parents or whoever might get in his ear about it, but at the end of the day, he's making the call to leave. I respect the kid enough to treat him like a big boy.

• Like 4

Just now, ellitor said:

We need a transfer PG regardless but if Trey Alexander shows out  then it would greatly lessen the blow of losing Justin.

I mean, if Cooper and Flanigan come back, Justin Powell is a footnote. He played 10 games. Six really good ones, but both those guys are better than him. Jabari Smith can play the 3. If the starting lineup is Cooper/Flanigan/Smith/Thor/Williams.... color me indifferent on Justin Powell.

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, mcgufcm said:

Sorry. That doesn't fly. A college kid can decide whether he wants to remain at his current college. His parents or whoever might get in his ear about it, but at the end of the day, he's making the call to leave. I respect the kid enough to treat him like a big boy.

@mcgufcmDidn't say nor imply he wouldn't make the final decision but given the injury ordeal he went through & the fact he's a youngster at 18 or 19 it's naive to think that his camp couldn't strongly sway him to get to a school they would prefer him be at, especially if it's closer to them.

2 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I mean, if Cooper and Flanigan come back, Justin Powell is a footnote.

@mcgufcm Coop is a 1 who's not a great shooter. Flan is a 3. We need a great scoring 2 that can handle the ball & decision making to limit the loss of Powell.

5 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Jabari Smith can play the 3

Expected & planned to be at the 4.

6 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Cooper/Flanigan/Smith/Thor/Williams

Plan is for Flan to be a full time 3 next season, his natural position. With Powell gone Alexander has to step up out of the gate or someone has to come in to make that affectively happen.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I would believe that. Each team makes sense.

For example, Powell showed enough to know he could've been a starter and difference maker for UK this year. No question he fills a need for them. For another, UVA always struggles to score. You're telling me freshman Powell didn't look a LOT better than freshman Kyle Guy? Then, look at Gonzaga. They're losing Suggs, Timme, and Kispert this year. I mean, Kispert is what you hope a fully developed Powell is, right?

Duke no. Virginia yes. No way in hell he starts at Kentucky unless they wanted to go small but he still not stating over Clark. UVA I guess but I'd be lying if I said I know their roster really. Gonzaga....maybe I guess.

I think most of you should actually look at his stats though. The guy had two good games and one decent. That's it. I could give South Alabama 20 right now. Memphis clearly scouted us saying make us shoot and Powell made them pay, but Memphis also exposed his PG skills are shaky. As soon as teams focused on him he couldn't score. I'm not the only person who can see this. 

Pretending that Powell can go anywhere and start is make believe.

Oh and whoever is in his ear or if it's just him, if he wants to play in the NBA he is outside of his mind if he thinks he'll find a better fit than here. People has already damn near made him a legend here and he wasn't getting any blame from bad play. If he goes somewhere and he is supposed to be the man......well I'll just say we'll see. If he goes somewhere where he's like the 3rd option he can make a jj redick type of run.

• Like 1

Really hate to hear this.

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

I feel the wanting things to go right.....he never was our best player though. That's sort of my point. You guys treat Flannigan like a step child and was so in love with a guy who wasn't as good as him. That's weird.

People did the same exact thing to Wiley. There were only a handful of us that were continuously praising him while a lot were consistently bashing his stone hands.

• Like 1

• Angry 3

Kentucky didn't go after him while he was in high school...Bruce was on him early and got his signature...but I'm sure most Kentucky kids always dream for play at UK, now since he showed them what he could do, I'm sure this is why he wants to return...but I think we all wish we could have seen a healthy team with him, Cooper and the rest...probably would've won a few more games... 

14 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

People did the same exact thing to Wiley. There were only a handful of us that were continuously praising him while a lot were consistently bashing his stone hands.

Joking aside...his hands were terrible.

2 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

It's going to be tooting my horn but it 's true but I had this about cibmeon bowers and really Bruce Pearl when he first got here, I had to argue about dunnans, had to argue about okeke, purifoy, Dunbar, and like you just brought up Wiley. And it's ironic because had we had Wiley this year we're a completely different team and at least 7 more wins easy.  It's sad to not celebrate your guys and then when they are gone.....they're gone.

On the back side I also pointed out pumping the breaks on Brown and samir. Not saying they weren't great but it was the same thing you're giving the guys praise you could actually give to the other guys you are frustrated with. I even pointed out samir jumping into guys on defense too much and then the Virginia game happened.......I talked about how we would really miss Davion's defense. I feel like the only person I guess we all agreed on has been okoro.

But I can't do anything but post the stuff, I can't make anyone believe me.....I'm just saying people pay for some of thisstuff on other sites that I'll offer for free. Even NBA draft stuff I can remember talking about ja morant before he was big, Melo ball people laughed at me. 

I feel like I was right about Mark Sears to but we'll see but wouldn't it be awesome to have a guy who flirts with triple doubles at point? Hell somebody should call him right now.

But lately it seems like more people have been receptive than in the past. I love doing this, I wish it could be a job, I love going out on a line and calling stuff and then coming back and seeing what turned out happening. I just wish people wouldn't get angry about stuff and it was more like talking crap to your boys. 

But yeah this is a lot of words to say I agree lol. 

55 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

3FB7C4EF-7A08-488F-BE71-AC954DC43F71.gif

Exactly how I feel fam. Cal is a slimy scummy piece of s*** just like scott drew.

• Like 2

So I just know basketball I don't know the kid or anythingbut if a school get into the ear of a guy can you really be mad at the school? 

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So I just know basketball I don't know the kid or anythingbut if a school get into the ear of a guy can you really be mad at the school? 

I think getting in the ear of a family with a guy that has suffered a serious head injury is pretty sleazy. I just have a hard  time seeing JP transferring had he not gotten injured. Maybe he would have, but I think that opened up the opportunity.

23 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I think getting in the ear of a family with a guy that has suffered a serious head injury is pretty sleazy. I just have a hard  time seeing JP transferring had he not gotten injured. Maybe he would have, but I think that opened up the opportunity.

So this isn't an argument I'm trying to understand. If it was something like a deadline and the day before the deadline they got to him and kept him away from his family I could see that. But I'm not connecting what the injury has to do with this case.

Would you feel different if you found out that the family were the people initiating everything?

14 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

I’m not going to blame a player that is on his second head injury, a severe one at that, that has been shut in the dark for weeks, wasn’t even able to do his school work, etc. Those things alone can really mess with someone psychologically.

One can't blame him if the story is that he wants to be closer to home. On the other hand, if the unproven rumor that he's listening to people offering one form of bribe or another is true, then he certainly can be blamed. "Tampering" is just another word for offering a bribe, no matter what form that bribe takes.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

One can't blame him if the story is that he wants to be closer to home. On the other hand, if the unproven rumor that he's listening to people offering one form of bribe or another is true, then he certainly can be blamed. "Tampering" is just another word for offering a bribe, no matter what form that bribe takes.

Plz tell me how someone especially if the family is on the other side, that just suffered a major head injury and no telling what psychological reproccusions have followed over the past couple of months deserves blame?

41 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So this isn't an argument I'm trying to understand. If it was something like a deadline and the day before the deadline they got to him and kept him away from his family I could see that. But I'm not connecting what the injury has to do with this case.

Would you feel different if you found out that the family were the people initiating everything?

Whether it’s the family, the school, or both, I think it’s all taking advantage of a kid, plain and simple. BP said the injury was tough on him, and I think that plays a factor into how someone can be manipulated, especially given the severity of his injury. My “school” statement would be only directed at UK, as that has what has been alleged. 

Edited by Maverick.AU

16 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Plz tell me how someone especially if the family is on the other side, that just suffered a major head injury and no telling what psychological reproccusions have followed over the past couple of months deserves blame?

If they are illegally encouraged (bribed) by another school to leave AU and go there, they deserve blame. Period. Powell knows right from wrong. The injury would not have anything to do with such a decision.

Someone posted above that Powell just leveraged AU to get to a school he really wanted to attend. That's a possibility too and if that's the case I'm glad he's gone.

The guy was going to be a big success here. He filled a need on this team and in the games before he was hurt and before Cooper came on line, Powell was our best player. I see no logical reason for him to up and leave. Hopefully we'll learn more as time passes.