The Justin Powell Saga (Merged)

tgrogan21

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

If everybody had come back what do you see the starting line up looking like?

I think day 1: Coop/Flan/Jabari/JT/Jaylin 

by March: Coop/Powell/Flan/Jabari/JT. 

I think Jabari is maximized at being at the 4 and the same goes for Flan. I think the spacing and creating is also insane in that latter lineup 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

He definitely would complement well. He'd complement the entire team  but it's clear as day once he made teams scouting reports and teams their best or second best defenders on him he was in a bunch of trouble. That's why it's crazy to think he's the best player on the team, there's a huge gap in being the man and going out there with the target on your back. 

If you watch the gonzaga game or the arky game. Or really the Memphis game at that game is half the reason people hype him the way they do you can see he's not a stong ball handler. He's a half court slow the ball down slow break type of handler. If you give him space he can operate great but if you crowd him he can't attack you at all hardly. 

He needs everybody else as much as they need him. He's like Duncan Robinson for the heat but he hasnt proven consistency against the top athletes yet

Yeah I don’t think you’re a championship team (with scouting reports and adjustments) over the course of a season w him as lead ball handler, but, and this is why I think the Herro comparisons worked, if you can give him reign w that second unit and feature him as the off ball creator....I think he would be really good 

I see the Duncan thing too, a little. I haven’t watched much of Duncan this season, but whenever you saw him dribble, it was either with the intent to shoot off a screen or to pass and reset elsewhere. I think Powell had another dimension he was improving in. His handle isn’t nearly as live, but I think he could be a Donte Divicenzo clone at the rate he’s going 

8 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Why wasn’t Baylor punished for this?

@CameronCrazy Because if you've seen how Bruce still talks glowingly of Davion you know Bruce doesn't operate like that.

Did Bruce not turn them in?

Nope!

Do you think Bruce will turn Kentucky in if he finds out they tampered?

I don't think Bruce will turn in any school that may have tampered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@CameronCrazy Because if you've seen how Bruce still talks glowingly of Davion you know Bruce doesn't operate like that.

Nope!

Agreed - Heck he is still being stalked/punished for turning in IL like 30 years ago. I honestly believe that's where his troubles started - I think he must have pissed off some powerful people and they've managed to undermine him or at least create this lasting narrative that Bruce is a dirty coach. I felt like his punishment (and 3-yr ban) at Tenn was way too severe relative to what he actually did there - which is why I think it was almost payback in a way for the IL thing years before. Plenty of coaches do far worse things and just get a slap on the wrist. It's bizarre. 

Edited by Sani-Freeze
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, cole256 said:

So this is why I ask people to actually look at stats and not buy into hype. Flanningan has shown to be much better with the ball in his hand than Powell. The difference is Powell had flanningan to pass to but flanningan had who for an option. And look at who we played in each game the stats were pulled up. And look at all the stats.

To be very accurate in evaluating the team you have to be accurate evaluating players. And once again I don't see how I'm the only person that even questions this stuff, when most of you are so hard about going to the NBA and stuff. And you guys kill Flannigan how the heck could Powell play the way he did the last few games and be so highly regarded? That's crazy. 

I Agree you have to be as accurate as possible, even as a fan giving their opinion. :).

And I understand your impression of Powell, but you too have to know that comparing Flan to Powell is not fair. Flan had a year to learn the offense, play against SEC compettion, and play behind some really good AU players last year. Powell didn't have that luxury. Without Cooper he had to start right away, learn on the fly, play out of position(PG), and learn this offense as a true freshman. You can at least give Powell THAT benefit of a doubt, right?

Now I can see Powell as a 6th man eventually, but I think in time and experience he would have complemented Cooper at the 2. And I never said Powell was our best player, maybe others did that you referred in your post, but in the end, with him only play 2 SEC games, I don't think it's easy to assess where he would progress to on our team. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Agreed - Heck he is still being stalked/punished for turning in IL like 30 years ago. I honestly believe that's where his troubles started - I think he must have pissed off some powerful people and they've managed to undermine him or at least create this lasting narrative that Bruce is a dirty coach. I felt like his punishment (and 3-yr ban) at Tenn was way too severe relative to what he actually did there - which is why I think it was almost payback in a way for the IL thing years before. Plenty of coaches do far worse things and just get a slap on the wrist. It's bizarre. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/haith-pearl-lie-to-ncaa-but-haith-gets-5-games-and-pearl-show-cause/amp/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I Agree you have to be as accurate as possible, even as a fan giving their opinion. :).

And I understand your impression of Powell, but you too have to know that comparing Flan to Powell is not fair. Flan had a year to learn the offense, play against SEC compettion, and play behind some really good AU players last year. Powell didn't have that luxury. Without Cooper he had to start right away, learn on the fly, play out of position(PG), and learn this offense as a true freshman. You can at least give Powell THAT benefit of a doubt, right?

Now I can see Powell as a 6th man eventually, but I think in time and experience he would have complemented Cooper at the 2. And I never said Powell was our best player, maybe others did that you referred in your post, but in the end, with him only play 2 SEC games, I don't think it's easy to assess where he would progress to on our team. 

Well when a person says he's the best on the team you open him up to everybody, it's funny nobody but me was like, wait...what as far as when it was said he was best on the team but apparently nobody really think he is.....

As far as your post you said you think Powell is weak with the ball and you think Powell would be good there. So that discussion once again is comparing both players at the 2. So when talking that no Im not giving any passes I'm looking at right now who's better.

I certainly overall can look and imagine that as a freshman he has a bunch of room to grow and when other guys leave I don't doubt he'll be a better version of himself in the future. But this isn't the NBA it's college and you don't play guys ahead of other guys because in a couple of years they'll be good. 

But that's two different discussions, if we aren't evaluating him and trying to make him the guy on the team yeah left's take a step back, but if a person watches a couple of games and come back that flan and Williams are horrible and Powell is the shining light that can bring us to the light.....or the when Powell didn't play we struggled......no you need to talk about all variables and have a discussion about reality. 

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Nope!

He won't. It's the Auburn way. It doesn't matter what sport it is, we aren't going to fight anything. Just be quiet and get screwed. There really should be an orange and blue t-shirt that says Just Bend Over And Take It - War Eagle.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

What does this do to influence or contribute to Auburn whatsoever 

Nothing.  But it conveys my opinion.  Which is as good as yours.  Which doesn't mean anything other than it's 1:24AM and I'm bored.  WarEagle.  And Good Morning.

22 hours ago, steeleagle said:

And I never said Powell was our best player,

I said that. What I said was Powell was our best player before Cooper became eligible. Remember, that was also before Thor found his sea legs in college basketball. During that period of time Powell was our best player.

Powell was also an integral part of our hopes of reaching the final four next season.A Cooper/Powell back court would have been among the best in the country. Now we may have neither, but that's AU basketball in a nutshell.

• Like 2

So as this play out I wonder are we going to discuss, or will it be like the past few years that everybody gets real quiet and pretend nothing happened....

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I said that. What I said was Powell was our best player before Cooper became eligible. Remember, that was also before Thor found his sea legs in college basketball. During that period of time Powell was our best player.

Powell was also an integral part of our hopes of reaching the final four next season.A Cooper/Powell back court would have been among the best in the country. Now we may have neither, but that's AU basketball in a nutshell.

I see. I agree he was our most all-round better basketball player at that time. Sound in his basketball IQ, and helping us more than we thought at the time. Even though he struggled in the early SEC games, I feel he was going to adjust bc of his basketball IQ and start to improve again. And with Sharife coming back, he defintely would have helped with our outside shooting and ball handling at the 2, and Flanigan would have helped us even more going back to his best position...the 3 spot.

And I have posted that we could be starting all over again next year if Cooper leaves, with NO backcourt skill or experience other than JJ. Even if Cooper had left, Alexander and Powell would have given us a strong backcourt, and if Pearl could have added an experienced GT PG, we would be very good shape.

So I guess we stay tuned to see how it continues to evolve with our guards. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So as this play out I wonder are we going to discuss, or will it be like the past few years that everybody gets real quiet and pretend nothing happened....

Expand on that thought a bit more? I'm curious what you mean

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

pretend nothing happened? Can you explain this further? 

Who's pretending...I don't see it on most of the posts here...or I just don't read between the lines well enough. :)

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Who's pretending...I don't see it on most of the posts here...or I just don't read between the lines well enough. :)

What I mean is let's say it turns out Powell isn't really as good as those of you that hype him to be. When we see that are we going to talk about it or like the things that has been discussed in the past and when it turns out not to be what the majority said it's not talked about anymore. Note acknowledged

Ok so now since it's been acknowledge and what was said was said. Now I can speak

It's hilarious to say Powell was our best player when he never showed to even play well against a good team. It's a basketball version of Bo nix. 

The game of basketball if filled with so many different things and roles and to believe Powell did ANYTHING better than Flannigan other than shoot, and when we say shoot it's literally just 3 point because he didn't shoot better from the field, is hilarious

8 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Oh and as far as reading between the lines I wish we could just talk and be direct but when I do I get the I didn't see anybody say this, when clearly it was said and all that b.s.

23 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Expand on that thought a bit more? I'm curious what you mean

I mean the disagreements that you can't really know until time has gone by, and a verdict can be made will it be discussed or will it be as it has been the last few years, don't talk about it anymore.

An example I can offer is wdewde recently said how he's been telling people something the last five years when it more clearly came out not too long ago

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Ok so now since it's been acknowledge and what was said was said. Now I can speak

It's hilarious to say Powell was our best player when he never showed to even play well against a good team. It's a basketball version of Bo nix. 

The game of basketball if filled with so many different things and roles and to believe Powell did ANYTHING better than Flannigan other than shoot, and when we say shoot it's literally just 3 point because he didn't shoot better from the field, is hilarious

You've BEEN speaking...not sure what that comment was to mean...

And if you are not going to give credence to the fact that Flanigan has had a full year against the SEC and good comeptition when comparing him to Powell, then you are simply not going to listen to the other side of it...

Powell only played in 1.5 SEC games, so to say he is no where near Flanigan or better in any category is going to be tough when Powell needed to play out the year to actually see his stats.

But in his limited time, he did play well against some tough competition(Memphis(26 pts), Ark*(8 reb, 9 asissts), and his final stats had him over 6 rebounds a game and almost 5 assists a game. Now his shooting was poor to start the SEC, but his very first game as a starting PG against Ark, who is a veteran team, was going to make him nervous and forced to make mistakes and press to score.

But, Powell was going to be a better 2 guard than Flanigan in the long run, bc he is just a better overall sound ball handler. Flanigan is ok, but made too many mistakes playing PG for sure and even some at the 2. He was so much more comfortable and 10 times better at the 3. 

But with Powell leaving, we will never know now...and I can't think of any more that will at least give some credence to Powell as a good to better guard for our team...he just seemed to pass the eye test, even in his limited play.

Powell is a 6’6” SG forced to play PG as a true freshman. He played very well, for the most part, especially given the situation. He’s probably one of our best pure shooters on a team that needs them. There was every reason to think he’d be a very solid contributor, perhaps for 3-4 years. He played 10 games. Not a great deal to draw on. But I understand why folks, including myself, see his departure as a huge, and unanticipated, loss.

• Like 6

Well, I know I'm going to catch a lot of flak from some of you on here, but here's my feelings about this situation: I'm pissed about this. If this kid ends up at Kentucky, especially since UK didn't even recruit this kid when he was in high school, that to me is just a total slap in Bruce Pearl's and the program's face. If it is true that daddy Powell went to AU to get his baby boy and wouldn't even talk with the coaches, that sucks even more. 

OK--let me have it. i'm a big boy and I have my big boy pants on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One thing's for sure. You can count on Flan staying until the pros come calling. Flan is a team leader with a much, much bigger upside, better defender, physical, AND durable. He took one on the chin for this team with his sacrifice. Powell? He came in with lower expectations, and given MORE than every opportunity to excel. Which he did to a certain extent. Some viewed him as a temporary savior for the PG position (I was one of them). And later earned more sympathy and support due to injury. And yet, even with the possibility of Cooper leaving, he's grocery shopping for school #6 in 7 years?

Maybe he sees what we see. JJ's steady play and unexpected emergence at PG the last 3 games. Plus that SG position is about to get more competition with one top flight player on board, and the strong possibility of another right behind him. All indications are both are expected to bring more to the table than Powell ever did. In due time we'll see.

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

You've BEEN speaking...not sure what that comment was to mean...

And if you are not going to give credence to the fact that Flanigan has had a full year against the SEC and good comeptition when comparing him to Powell, then you are simply not going to listen to the other side of it...

Powell only played in 1.5 SEC games, so to say he is no where near Flanigan or better in any category is going to be tough when Powell needed to play out the year to actually see his stats.

But in his limited time, he did play well against some tough competition(Memphis(26 pts), Ark*(8 reb, 9 asissts), and his final stats had him over 6 rebounds a game and almost 5 assists a game. Now his shooting was poor to start the SEC, but his very first game as a starting PG against Ark, who is a veteran team, was going to make him nervous and forced to make mistakes and press to score.

But, Powell was going to be a better 2 guard than Flanigan in the long run, bc he is just a better overall sound ball handler. Flanigan is ok, but made too many mistakes playing PG for sure and even some at the 2. He was so much more comfortable and 10 times better at the 3. 

But with Powell leaving, we will never know now...and I can't think of any more that will at least give some credence to Powell as a good to better guard for our team...he just seemed to pass the eye test, even in his limited play.

There's no point in repeating stuff back and forth we could have a discussion or not. You're trying to manipulate the convo. 

I have acknowledged he was a freshman so I don't see why you keep repeating that, especially since you won't give credence that you are giving very high praise based on 3 games at the most so if you say I'm not going to listen acknowledge yourself that you aren't as well. 

But if you ever do want to have a full convo I'm down. But to offer a rebuttal in what you offered, you are very much over rating Powell handle. It's not close to Flannigan and that's part of the reason of his struggle. Also it's misleading to say he played well against arky.....That's not well, that's bad.

But I'm doing waaay too much. I agree. Every year I do this then I say I'm not going to do it then I do it again. I'm trying to hard to make people see. 

All I ask is people don't do the usual with it. Everybody let's be adults and not do like the usual

22 hours ago, cole256 said:

What I mean is let's say it turns out Powell isn't really as good as those of you that hype him to be. When we see that are we going to talk about it or like the things that has been discussed in the past and when it turns out not to be what the majority said it's not talked about anymore. Note acknowledged

@cole256People are going to be right & people are going to be wrong. Why rehash it later either way? That just invites a pissing contest & needless arguments that have turned into personal attacks to one another over & over & over again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2