The Justin Powell Saga (Merged)

tgrogan21

Could it have been that Mitchell's departure wasn't treated like Powell's because of the current state of Auburn basketball?  We're in a post-season ban, just finished with a piss poor record, and waiting for the hangman at the gallows of the NCAA.  

I'm just thinking that circumstances are different now than they were a couple of yrs ago. IDK?

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Could it have been that Mitchell's departure wasn't treated like Powell's because of the current state of Auburn basketball?  We're in a post-season ban, just finished with a piss poor record, and waiting for the hangman at the gallows of the NCAA.  

I'm just thinking that circumstances are different now than they were a couple of yrs ago. IDK?

well everyone also had the same idea at the time, for why Davion left. It was a competition, the intel available to Davion coming in was that he was going to be able to get that job, the intel leaving out was that Harper was alot better than expected, and you look at the timeline, Harper was a sophomore the year Davion was a freshman. If JH doesn't declare (which also was NOT in the intel) early, Davion gets one year as the main ball handler 

edit: I also don't think people valued Davion the same way many have come to value Justin this season. Whether that be reasonable or not, that's the case from what I remember 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

@cole256 Are you high on Trey Alexander? Not sure I've seen your opinion on him.

Fair.

I only have watched a couple of clips and I want to watch more to try to be accurate

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

well everyone also had the same idea at the time, for why Davion left. It was a competition, the intel available to Davion coming in was that he was going to be able to get that job, the intel leaving out was that Harper was alot better than expected, and you look at the timeline, Harper was a sophomore the year Davion was a freshman. If JH doesn't declare (which also was NOT in the intel) early, Davion gets one year as the main ball handler 

edit: I also don't think people valued Davion the same way many have come to value Justin this season. Whether that be reasonable or not, that's the case from what I remember 

Right. And that's sort of my point. 

But seriously whose to say Powell didn't leave for that reason? If everybody came back he knows if he wasn't going to start or not, he's in those practices. Hell some of those games without coop he didn't start.

It really doesn't matter why a player decides to leave. It may be a reason I think is a great reason or a bad reason, it may be a well thought out reason or poorly thought out impulsive reason it doesn't matter. The player decided to leave and it is the players right. Most fans realize it but we have a few on the boards that seem to think the player owes more to the school then other students, coaches professors, Staff, President of University. We have scholarship students switch also and nobody screams about that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

Well I certainly don't want to tell anybody what and what not to post as I'm aggravated daily by people doing it to me. 

I don't even think Powell would've started if everyone had came back........But depth is very important so again yes I would definitely rather have him as opposed to not. But I feel like I've been very detailed in what I think of him and even why I think that. 

I guess you can see my perspective as it's super weird that I'm the only person that seems to not be sold on this guy being so awesome and he didn't even produce against good teams. Usually that's the first thing that's questioned.

And as far as Davion you and I know that but you can read the first reply clearly he didn't know the stuff about davion and I feel there's quite a few who don't. And my other point is when he left on the forum it wasn't treated anywhere close to this. That's why I say it wasn't a big deal. It wasn't treated as a big deal on this forum.

One reason it was not treated the same as what is going on w. Powell, is at that time we still had Harper coming back.

We just needed a solid backup 1 more year, and THEN if Harper left Mitchell would be prime to take over. He had great defense and ball handling, and even though he was not at that time a great shooter as Harper, we figured he would improve on that the more he played.

Losing Powell is tough bc at this moment we HAVE no great 2 guard. JJ is it, and more than likely now learn more PG. And with Powell leaving, we now have to rely(unless we get a veteran 2 guard) on another true freshman( Alexander) to learn the position.

The interview Powell gave makes no sense, unless you read the last paragraph real close. It was conducted by Travis Branham, and it says virtually nothing useful until that last paragraph. Its 24/7 material so I won't post it verbatim, but seems like he might not like the team concept too much. Maybe I'm reaching, but if him and daddy didn't like AU basketball being bigger than them, so be it. I'm now interested in BP offering the 5* RB, Henderson a BB schollie. Is he that good?

26 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

One reason it was not treated the same as what is going on w. Powell, is at that time we still had Harper coming back.

We just needed a solid backup 1 more year, and THEN if Harper left Mitchell would be prime to take over. He had great defense and ball handling, and even though he was not at that time a great shooter as Harper, we figured he would improve on that the more he played.

Losing Powell is tough bc at this moment we HAVE no great 2 guard. JJ is it, and more than likely now learn more PG. And with Powell leaving, we now have to rely(unless we get a veteran 2 guard) on another true freshman( Alexander) to learn the position.

Flanningan can easily play the 2. We have a bunch of guys that are versatile 3/4's our highest team potential has always been one of them moving to 3 anyway. 

I get it,.I wish he had stayed as well he's just nothing to be dramatic about. But E explained it to me well certainly has the right to vent. He doesn't know but he actually made me think about how I was bummed about rocker and I didn't too much appreciate some things people were saying to me (albeit the stuff being said wasn't too smart and I'm literally speaking stone cold facts)

Just seems like, at least on this forum I'm the only person that's putting context in what we saw from him on the court. So I'll not interfere with anybody venting I'll just say really look at his stats, and really find some clips and watch his play and think it through.....I don't have a history of posting a bunch of b.s.

1 hour ago, chizhead said:

The interview Powell gave makes no sense, unless you read the last paragraph real close. It was conducted by Travis Branham, and it says virtually nothing useful until that last paragraph. Its 24/7 material so I won't post it verbatim, but seems like he might not like the team concept too much. Maybe I'm reaching, but if him and daddy didn't like AU basketball being bigger than them, so be it. I'm now interested in BP offering the 5* RB, Henderson a BB schollie. Is he that good?

You gotta link?

46 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

You gotta link?

Its 24/7 stuff. Not sure that I can post it here. Go to their website if you have a subscription

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

Baylor tampered & got him to transfer & got Davion to try to talk to Chuma to go with him to Baylor. Chuma told Bruce & that's how Bruce found out Davion was transferring & it was at Baylor's behest.

I honestly have never heard this until now. Add Baylor to the list of schools that I hate

2 hours ago, chizhead said:

Reminiscent of the Toney Douglas situation from '04-'05. Only this time, dad/son disagree with how a 600 win / Final Four coach uses him. LOL. Dad plays the heavy. Son walks.

2 hours ago, chizhead said:

Its 24/7 stuff. Not sure that I can post it here. Go to their website if you have a subscription

@chizhead You can post VIP links for people to read on their own, Pasting what's within an article & summarizing every detail of an article is what is not allowed.

57 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Reminiscent of the Toney Douglas situation from '04-'05. Only this time, dad/son disagree with how a 600 win / Final Four coach uses him. LOL. Dad plays the heavy. Son walks.

@slyinsocal At least 1 report is saying Justin wanted this transfer too.

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Flanningan can easily play the 2. We have a bunch of guys that are versatile 3/4's our highest team potential has always been one of them moving to 3 anyway. 

I get it,.I wish he had stayed as well he's just nothing to be dramatic about. But E explained it to me well certainly has the right to vent. He doesn't know but he actually made me think about how I was bummed about rocker and I didn't too much appreciate some things people were saying to me (albeit the stuff being said wasn't too smart and I'm literally speaking stone cold facts)

Just seems like, at least on this forum I'm the only person that's putting context in what we saw from him on the court. So I'll not interfere with anybody venting I'll just say really look at his stats, and really find some clips and watch his play and think it through.....I don't have a history of posting a bunch of b.s.

I agree Flan can play some 2 I just he’s weakest when he has to handle the ball too much so I would rather him spend most time at 3. 

I do think Powell would have been a strong solid 2 for us. 

I don’t gush over his leaving but I agree w E, and understand his take that we get a solid guard we can build and get better with and here we go and fir whatever reason again another 1 leaves. I just want a solid team for the next couple years to build another ncaa tourney team. And if Cooper leaves Pearl has to do some magic to get in some front court guards. We’re weak there without them. 

I have no problem w your reasoning and kind of like the open discussion. 

5 hours ago, chizhead said:

I don’t buy the possibility that Powell and dad didn’t like the team concept. I assume you’re talking about Pearls offense. His offense is not that team oriented. If u see how Harper and Brown was given so many shot opportunities one would know he gave his players the green light to shoot. 
now I’d u want to see a team concept watch Miss st team. They don’t allow those players much freedom in that offense. 

i think I’ve heard way too many reasons on this site to know which one or combination is even close to true. 
but if MM and others that don’t spout rumor and it was mutual he leave then it’s either medical evaluation differences and/or Powell really didn’t like playing in Pearls offense. 

i think it’s time for a lie detector test 😄

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

but if MM and others that don’t spout rumor and it was mutual he leave then it’s either medical evaluation differences and/or Powell really didn’t like playing in Pearls offense. 

@steeleagle MM didn't say it was a mutual parting of ways. He said the staff was shocked when his dad came down & told them JP was transferring no questions asked. Nate King was the one who said it was mutual.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@steeleagle MM didn't say it was a mutual parting of ways. He said the staff was shocked when his dad came down & told them JP was transferring no questions asked. Nate King was the one who said it was mutual.

Which explains why it was quiet. Then bam. A flurry of news in the last 24 hours with offers to RB Henderson and grad transfer PG Zep Jasper. Conference tournaments are winding down yes, but still.......

28 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I agree Flan can play some 2 I just he’s weakest when he has to handle the ball too much so I would rather him spend most time at 3. 

I do think Powell would have been a strong solid 2 for us. 

I don’t gush over his leaving but I agree w E, and understand his take that we get a solid guard we can build and get better with and here we go and fir whatever reason again another 1 leaves. I just want a solid team for the next couple years to build another ncaa tourney team. And if Cooper leaves Pearl has to do some magic to get in some front court guards. We’re weak there without them. 

I have no problem w your reasoning and kind of like the open discussion. 

So this is why I ask people to actually look at stats and not buy into hype. Flanningan has shown to be much better with the ball in his hand than Powell. The difference is Powell had flanningan to pass to but flanningan had who for an option. And look at who we played in each game the stats were pulled up. And look at all the stats.

To be very accurate in evaluating the team you have to be accurate evaluating players. And once again I don't see how I'm the only person that even questions this stuff, when most of you are so hard about going to the NBA and stuff. And you guys kill Flannigan how the heck could Powell play the way he did the last few games and be so highly regarded? That's crazy. 

57 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Which explains why it was quiet. Then bam. A flurry of news in the last 24 hours with offers to RB Henderson and grad transfer PG Zep Jasper. Conference tournaments are winding down yes, but still.......

I don’t think Henderson is related at all to either Powell or Cooper potentially leaving. I think Bruce is just trying to help the football program get a talented player. Probably too little too late.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

Right. And that's sort of my point. 

But seriously whose to say Powell didn't leave for that reason? If everybody came back he knows if he wasn't going to start or not, he's in those practices. Hell some of those games without coop he didn't start.

Well we def don’t have a clear image for why the fella left. My initial thoughts was “too many chefs in the kitchen” too, but who knows? 
I think he would’ve started, but I also think he would’ve better served the team if he played that Booker first off the bench role. Better than the guy in front of him, but the team looks better with him as the 6th man 

Powell might’ve come to earth, but I really think he would’ve been the most complimentary player to Cooper on the team. Like his shooting %age, as good as it was, doesn’t even tell the story. Most of his misses were off the dribble. I might’ve seen the guy miss 3 catch and shoot 3s in all of his games. Just rarely had the opportunity 

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

It was a big deal. Baylor tampered & got him to transfer & got Davion to try to talk to Chuma to go with him to Baylor. Chuma told Bruce & that's how Bruce found out Davion was transferring & it was at Baylor's behest.

Why wasn’t Baylor punished for this? Did Bruce not turn them in? 

Do you think Bruce will turn Kentucky in if he finds out they tampered?

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Well we def don’t have a clear image for why the fella left. My initial thoughts was “too many chefs in the kitchen” too, but who knows? 
I think he would’ve started, but I also think he would’ve better served the team if he played that Booker first off the bench role. Better than the guy in front of him, but the team looks better with him as the 6th man 

If everybody had come back what do you see the starting line up looking like?

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Powell might’ve come to earth, but I really think he would’ve been the most complimentary player to Cooper on the team. Like his shooting %age, as good as it was, doesn’t even tell the story. Most of his misses were off the dribble. I might’ve seen the guy miss 3 catch and shoot 3s in all of his games. Just rarely had the opportunity 

He definitely would complement well. He'd complement the entire team  but it's clear as day once he made teams scouting reports and teams their best or second best defenders on him he was in a bunch of trouble. That's why it's crazy to think he's the best player on the team, there's a huge gap in being the man and going out there with the target on your back. 

If you watch the gonzaga game or the arky game. Or really the Memphis game at that game is half the reason people hype him the way they do you can see he's not a stong ball handler. He's a half court slow the ball down slow break type of handler. If you give him space he can operate great but if you crowd him he can't attack you at all hardly. 

He needs everybody else as much as they need him. He's like Duncan Robinson for the heat but he hasnt proven consistency against the top athletes yet

• Like 1