The Justin Powell Saga (Merged)

tgrogan21

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

It's going to be tooting my horn but it 's true but I had this about cibmeon bowers and really Bruce Pearl when he first got here, I had to argue about dunnans, had to argue about okeke, purifoy, Dunbar, and like you just brought up Wiley. And it's ironic because had we had Wiley this year we're a completely different team and at least 7 more wins easy.  It's sad to not celebrate your guys and then when they are gone.....they're gone.

On the back side I also pointed out pumping the breaks on Brown and samir. Not saying they weren't great but it was the same thing you're giving the guys praise you could actually give to the other guys you are frustrated with. I even pointed out samir jumping into guys on defense too much and then the Virginia game happened.......I talked about how we would really miss Davion's defense. I feel like the only person I guess we all agreed on has been okoro.

But I can't do anything but post the stuff, I can't make anyone believe me.....I'm just saying people pay for some of thisstuff on other sites that I'll offer for free. Even NBA draft stuff I can remember talking about ja morant before he was big, Melo ball people laughed at me. 

I feel like I was right about Mark Sears to but we'll see but wouldn't it be awesome to have a guy who flirts with triple doubles at point? Hell somebody should call him right now.

But lately it seems like more people have been receptive than in the past. I love doing this, I wish it could be a job, I love going out on a line and calling stuff and then coming back and seeing what turned out happening. I just wish people wouldn't get angry about stuff and it was more like talking crap to your boys. 

But yeah this is a lot of words to say I agree lol. 

Kinda odd to brag about us missing Davion Mitchell’s defense. We went to the Final Four after he left. J’Von’s offense was a key spark during that run. I like Mitchell. Think he’ll be a quality backup PG at the next level, but we didn’t miss him unless you’re talking about this year... three seasons after he left. 

38 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Kinda odd to brag about us missing Davion Mitchell’s defense. We went to the Final Four after he left. J’Von’s offense was a key spark during that run. I like Mitchell. Think he’ll be a quality backup PG at the next level, but we didn’t miss him unless you’re talking about this year... three seasons after he left. 

No I'm talking about we missed him literally the next season as our guards weren't the best defenders and Harper's size caused pretty drastic mismatches. And I didn't brag about us missing defense, I stated it. 

Probably win a championship with his defense as like you stated we went to the final four without him. That's missing it even more. 

Well one thing for sure he got the bang for his buck, there can't be anybody else in this country that made a jump in people's mind for two games. Our fan base is hilarious, on one hand guys aren't good enough to go to the NBA unless they are all Americans and what stays in the mind is the two turnovers not the 20 points

And on the other hand the unproven guy is the best player because he unloaded on a suck team but the  6 pts 1-13 0-6 SEC play we missed that he struggled

I am now super intrigued in his career now. This could potentially set a new wave for kids to get exposure if he is successful.

Edited by cole256

I don't think Davion becomes as developed an offensive player if he stays here, so I never really got stretching that argument out past Jvon's time in the league. Baylor probably has the most well rounded scorers at the guard spot in D1 currently. 

J'von was a better ball handler and mid range scorer than Davion showed, his first year here, and I think that was a really important complement to our offense when the 3 pointer machine was broke 

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

Well one thing for sure he got the bang for his buck, there can't be anybody else in this country that made a jump in people's mind for two games. Our fan base is hilarious, on one hand guys aren't good enough to go to the NBA unless they are all Americans and what stays in the mind is the two turnovers not the 20 points

And on the other hand the unproven guy is the best player because he unloaded on a suck team but the  6 pts 1-13 0-6 SEC play we missed that he struggled

Powell had a solid start to the season.  Appeared to be our best pure shooter, and earned the point guard position until Cooper returned...it wasn't just 2 games.  I didn't see any claims that he was our best player, but he did show potential and would have been nice to see how he fit in with Cooper.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JKClark said:

Powell had a solid start to the season.  Appeared to be our best pure shooter, and earned the point guard position until Cooper returned...it wasn't just 2 games.  I didn't see any claims that he was our best player, but he did show potential and would have been nice to see how he fit in with Cooper.  

You should maybe read the thread

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Looks like Tony Barbee can coach him now...  Might be a great fit if he only used us as a stepping stone to Kentucky. 

Man if he goes to Kentucky. That’s just sleazy. Couldn’t get their attention out of high school so why not go groveling to them now seeing if they like you any better? Looks like it worked so good for Powell and his family. I’d be lying if I said I hope he does well. I’d be ok with him riding the bench for a couple years at transferring to WKU for one last shot at being relevant. 

Perfect cherry on top of a crappy bball year, meanwhile the turds are somehow the #1 seed in the SEC tourney.

• Like 1

I haven't followed recruiting this year as much as I usually do. I figure Boston to leave. And Clarke was injured so I don't know if that will effect him leaving or not but he's a pro player as well. If both of those guys leave maybe Powell gets time.

If they were staying there would be no way on Earth he'd start minus injury. 

5 minutes ago, JKClark said:

I did.  Didn't take long since it's mostly your posts.  Still no claims.  

Ok then you know you repeated everything that I originally said......and if you say you didn't see any claims of anybody saying he was the best player on the team until Cooper came then you literally can't read. But from the you read this thread and it's mostly me comment that shows. Or either you tried to be funny but it's not your thing.....or you really didn't read the thread. 

I don't care either easy though

Edited by cole256

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Ok then you know you repeated everything that I originally said......and if you say you didn't see any claims of anybody saying he was the best player on the team until Cooper came then you literally can't read. But from the you read this thread and it's mostly me comment that shows. Or either you tried to be funny but it's not your thing.....or you really didn't read the thread. 

I don't care either easy though

I will admit that i'm having reading comprehension issues with this response.  

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, JKClark said:

I will admit that i'm having reading comprehension issues with this response.  

Cool story. But this is a very short convo. You quoted me mind you, and wrote stuff that had already been said. You then said you haven't seen anybody make the claim of Powell being the best person on the team before coop.......I then told you to maybe read the board being polite.

You chose to reply being an ass and doubled down on the claim. And now here you are still trying to be an ass. But had you even read up around 3-4 replies up you could see the very claim you say hasn't been made and that's not the only one. Which to me makes you even more of an ass. 

Now if you can't comprehend that, well that just sucks for you. Now we can not talk to each other and be content. But if you have a problem with anything that I say about basketball I'd be more than happy to discuss that.

3 hours ago, JKClark said:

I stated that he was our best player for the stint he played. Maybe I should have said "best overall performer" for the games he played pre-injury. Even Bruce stated that going back to pre-season practices, Powell was the glue-guy/catalyst that made things work.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Cool story. But this is a very short convo. You quoted me mind you, and wrote stuff that had already been said. You then said you haven't seen anybody make the claim of Powell being the best person on the team before coop.......I then told you to maybe read the board being polite.

You chose to reply being an ass and doubled down on the claim. And now here you are still trying to be an ass. But had you even read up around 3-4 replies up you could see the very claim you say hasn't been made and that's not the only one. Which to me makes you even more of an ass. 

Now if you can't comprehend that, well that just sucks for you. Now we can not talk to each other and be content. But if you have a problem with anything that I say about basketball I'd be more than happy to discuss that.

I appreciate you being "polite".  That's quite the contrary to your normal condescending posts.  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, JKClark said:

I appreciate you being "polite".  That's quite the contrary to your normal condescending posts.  

Lol. Got nothing huh? Good stuff 👍🏾 If you have some type of problem you don't have to hide it. You could've just hit and we could've seen if it could be fixed. Or you can keep up the passive aggressive thing if you want. Just saying you don't have to

Edited by cole256

As an Auburn Alum that grew up in Lexington, Ky. and lives in Lexington now this makes me sick.  Powell was definitely my favorite player when he was healthy and he was exciting and fun to watch.  You could tell that he had a lot of talent and was going to develop into a deadly outside shooter that could still take it inside with the big boys with ease.  My Auburn friends and I would talk about what the hell was going on with him as the season played out and he never came back.  Now I have this terrible feeling that he was maybe faking the severity of his injury with the plan to leave after the season shortly after he got hurt.  He got some great national exposure and I'm sure it didn't take long for people connected to certain programs to start talking to him.  Oh well, nothing can be done about it now so screw it.  If he ends up at UK I hope he plays like crap every time AU and UK meet.  One other thought, I don't think he would be transferring had it been a normal year and the team got to play in front of the normal big home crowds and rowdy students.  It had to be very weird as a freshman playing your first year in college in an empty arena.   

• Like 2

Mark Murphy says he hears Powell’s dad came to AU and without warning told the AU staff Justin was transferring. Also the decision was final and didn’t want to have any more discussions with the coaches about the decision. MM was also told the AU staff was blindsided and disappointed by the situation in addition to still trying to figure out exactly what the world had just happened.

Could be wrong but sounds like daddy wanted him closer to home & already found a landing spot before coming down to AU to get Justin & maybe not happy with how we handled the injury.

MM has made the reference several times to "5 schools in 6 years"......I have been suspicious of this since the news broke of the transfer and UK is and has always been the basketball version of updyke U. This many moves means that either Powell and family keep getting paid or he is a mama's boy and has to have his way or he'll take his ball and go home. I have only read various posters on 24/7, but one with a good rep, adamantly says that the fractured skull came from a fight. Look, I don't know, but there is so much skewed about this story that something is going on,or went on. I figure that JGT will be the first to confirm the truth, since 24/7 is going to be factual before they publish anything. I regret making Powell my favorite player now. I'll wait but it'll probably be Cardwell or Thor now

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Could be wrong but sounds like daddy wanted him closer to home & already found a landing spot before coming down to AU to get Justin & maybe not happy with how we handled the injury.

I guess if there had been friction as Powell was recovering and adhering to Auburn medical staff with his family, it could have come to a head once the season was over.

My question is this...if he was recovering, not playing, using caution based on Pearl's comments as Powell was trying to recover, what else could have been a problem in his recovery? He didn't try to practice with the team as far was we know, he never seemed to be given a green light at all to eventually practice or play on the court. 

I just don't see it at least on the surface, that there could be conflicts regarding his medical plan...

If MM is right, then it seems that for his Dad to come down and not give the staff or at least Pearl the courtesy of a conversation, knowing Pearl had spent many years recruiting and eventually bringing Powell to the plains..seems like Powell's dad may just have his own agenda and future plans for his son, or something severed the relationship enough to get Powell out quick....

The main reason I'm frustrated about it being Kentucky, was the local criticism of how Cal continued to favor the lottery picks instead of getting those 2-3 year players that can be a consistent scorer. Those are the type of guys UK always would torch us with in the past.  Powell fit that mold and Cal didn't go for him. We had him instead of Cal.  Now he essentially is getting a bailout for it.  So just cooks my grits as my buddy @GwillMac6 would say.  UK fans are the basketball equivalent of Bama or LSU football fans that live and breathe UK basketball.  So not surprising about what Dad is doing, but at least gives me a focus for my frustration instead of Justin.  I like the kid and hope he does well.  Just hope he has the courtesy not to play against us like he didn't do against UK.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AUBwins said:

Just hope he has the courtesy not to play against us like he didn't do against UK.

Nathan King said that JP was a good kid, but used the "5 in 6" comment,also. He probably is a good kid, but that doesn't mean that his family is

• Like 2