The Justin Powell Saga (Merged)

tgrogan21

22 hours ago, cole256 said:

It's hilarious to say Powell was our best player when he never showed to even play well against a good team. It's a basketball version of Bo nix. 

There's nothing wrong with anyone who may have felt he was our best player. He was moving up draft boards (at least in media's eyes) til he got hurt after all. That's pretty good for a freshman who was a 3* out of high school. There are plenty of worse take than people thinking Powell was our best player to get on people about.I'm not saying I thought he was our best player. Just saying he played well enough that people should have the right to that opinion should they want.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

There's nothing wrong with anyone who may have felt he was our best player. He was moving up draft boards (at least in media's eyes) til he got hurt after all. That's pretty good for a freshman who was a 3* out of high school. There are plenty of worse take than people thinking Powell was our best player to get on people about.I'm not saying I thought he was our best player. Just saying he played well enough that people should have the right to that opinion should they want.

Of course you can feel how you want. That realtor dude has the right to say what he's saying it doesn't change the fact that it doesn't make any sense. It doesn't matter if you are a 1 star or a 5 star to come to a conclusion that a guy is the best player on a team because he had a couple of good games against some bad teams and say he's better than the guy that played better against quality teams is a take that would be typical of someone that really isn't into basketball.

I don't care who gets mad. It's not right and it's not even logical so if there's no problem of it being said there certainly shouldn't be any problem of pointing out why it doesn't make sense

• Like 1

@cole256People are going to be right & people are going to be wrong. Why rehash it later either way? That just invites a pissing contest & needless arguments that have turned into personal attacks to one another over & over & over again.

That doesn't even make sense. Why do you feel the need to correct all of the many people you correct every single day

People are going to be right & people are going to be wrong. Why rehash it later either way? That just invites a pissing contest & needless arguments that have turned into personal attacks to one another over & over & over again.

Very true.  thank you. As Thomas Sowell said "rhetoric is no substitute for reality."

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

It's not right and it's not even logical so if there's no problem

That's your opinion, abeit an educated one, & is not an empirical fact.

there certainly shouldn't be any problem of pointing out why it doesn't make sense

I agree if it's in the normal flow of a conversation. It may not have been your intent but the way you came out with your OP today comes across condescending to anyone who liked Justin's play & has the look of wanting to start yet another fight just like all the Bo Nix discussions. I'm just tired of either side in any discussion posting in a condescending tone starting fights & leading to personal attacks. It's made that part of this board completely unbearable. People have to find a way of disagreeing on here & learning to respect one another without talking down to each other thus causing personal fights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

That doesn't even make sense. Why do you feel the need to correct all of the many people you correct every single day

Just my OCD but most of the time when I do it I try to make it clear I mean it respectfully. Alas sometimes I fail miserably.

How does the post not make sense? You have been in a countless number of these fights & should see the point of the post as clear as anyone.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Just my OCD but most of the time when I do it I try to make it clear I mean it respectfully. Alas sometimes I fail miserably.

How does the post not make sense? You have been in a countless number of these fights & should see the point of the post as clear as anyone.

Hypocrisy doesn't make sense to me. Your need to always want to chastise me but not wanting to say the same things to others doesn't make sense. 

You literally doing what you question me doing doesn't make sense

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I agree if it's in the normal flow of a conversation. It may not have been your intent but the way you came out with your OP today comes across condescending to anyone who liked Justin's play & has the look of wanting to start yet another fight just like all the Bo Nix discussions. I'm just tired of either side in any discussion posting in a condescending tone starting fights & leading to personal attacks. It's made that part of this board completely unbearable. People have to find a way of disagreeing on here & learning to respect one another without talking down to each other thus causing personal fights.

Like I said realtor stuff is opinion, but that didn't stop you for pointing out the stupidity of it or you suggesting he post on another forum.

It's funny you use the Bo nix fights as examples because all of those came from not hyping up the guy and when it was all said and done who was right? And you haven't EVER saw me start a fight with Bo nix, the most you've may have ever seen is me say he has to get better.

Now here we are even though I'm the only person that has used stats and logic in this discussion here you are at me. The people who are saying random stuff without backing it up they have the right to their opinion but I don't.

The funniest thing about this if anybody gets talked down to it's me but you haven't ever been there to cut that out but because you feel like it's condescending. It's an incredible stretch to say me saying it's hilarious to come to a conclusion Powell is the best player on the team to I'm having a problem with anybody who liked Powell's play. As if saying I like this guy's play and this guy is our best player is ANYTHING similar.

What's really weird is why is everybody so offended and why is the fact that jumping to a big conclusion with not only a few games but low quality teams is being ignored. 

You sound condescending yourself alot, and it's usually understood that's just you being you. I'm going to be me. Nobody is trying to change themselves for me, I'm not going to try for anybody else. When you see me personally attack somebody then come chastise me. I've even ignore PT trying to goude, I haven't insulted one person. This is a convo of disagreement where nobody has disrespected one another. You just don't like the opinion for whatever reason.

Would it not be hilarious if one of the new QB 's coming in threw 3 td's against Alabama st then 3 against arky and people started saying he's the best player on the team and if he didn't get hurt he'd had led us to the playoffs? It absolutely would be

Edited by cole256
  • Facepalm 1

28 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Hypocrisy doesn't make sense to me. Your need to always want to chastise me but not wanting to say the same things to others doesn't make sense. 

You literally doing what you question me doing doesn't make sense

Maybe I can try to bridge the gap as I consider both of you my friends so I hope you and @ellitor know I come from a good place when I say all of this.

You are correct, ellitor does correct a lot of people mainly in recruiting.  He normally corrects the incorrect statement made by another poster and leave it at that.  When it comes to opinions he normally stays out of it unless it involves a troll like REALTORTiger, which you also jump on him (as do I).

You also correct posters on incorrect statements with your vast knowledge and firsthand experience in both basketball and football to some degree.  Where ellitor is correct though is this is where the similarities stop.  Sometimes you do have a tendency to rub it in that you are always right and that people need to recognize they were wrong.  That you were always alone when you made your statement and no one was behind you when in reality people like me were actually there to back you up.  I understand some of this is your personality and what drives you to be the man you are today.  My favorite NBA player of all time, Russell Westbrook, is the exact same way.

All ellitor is asking is if you need to correct a statement, just correct it and let it be.  If someone likes Justin and think he is great, let it be.  I love Cardwell and may end up thinking he is the best center of all time at Auburn when his career is over, who knows.  That doesn't mean on paper there have been better centers at Auburn though.  We need our fandom to grow for Auburn basketball.  It will only help our program.

Much respect, abw.

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Maybe I can try to bridge the gap as I consider both of you my friends so I hope you and @ellitor know I come from a good place when I say all of this.

You are correct, ellitor does correct a lot of people mainly in recruiting.  He normally corrects the incorrect statement made by another poster and leave it at that.  When it comes to opinions he normally stays out of it unless it involves a troll like REALTORTiger, which you also jump on him (as do I).

You also correct posters on incorrect statements with your vast knowledge and firsthand experience in both basketball and football to some degree.  Where ellitor is correct though is this is where the similarities stop.  Sometimes you do have a tendency to rub it in that you are always right and that people need to recognize they were wrong.  That you were always alone when you made your statement and no one was behind you when in reality people like me were actually there to back you up.  I understand some of this is your personality and what drives you to be the man you are today.  My favorite NBA player of all time, Russell Westbrook, is the exact same way.

All ellitor is asking is if you need to correct a statement, just correct it and let it be.  If someone likes Justin and think he is great, let it be.  I love Cardwell and may end up thinking he is the best center of all time at Auburn when his career is over, who knows.  That doesn't mean on paper there have been better centers at Auburn though.  We need our fandom to grow for Auburn basketball.  It will only help our program.

Much respect, abw.

So I read that and understand all that you said. Now I ask you to look at my perspective, if you just read maybe 3 or 4 posts up you will see I'm literally replying to a post that was wrote to me. You will also see that I literally say I don't want to keep on with all the indirect passive aggressive stuff and keep doing that back and forth if you want to have a logical discussion I would love to. It's over and done after that right? 

So now someone who wasn't in the discussion and someone with a great influence takes a paragraph out and says what was said. Now what is that going to do? Now the people I haven't even talked to is going to come out right? Conversations start up and of course it will be this is Cole 's fault, but really is it? 

And yes I've explained many times when I say something and people were disrespectful, called me stupid or said I don't know what I'm talking about I'm going to point that out when it's proven that I'm right. Because when I was disrespected nobody spoke then. Like just recently dude told me I was lying about my occupation. Nobody said anything to him, so then can you see why somebody publicly telling me to watch how I talk can be frustrating? 

And I don't rub it in that I'm always right I point out last times when everybody said I was wrong it turned out I was right. That's completely different than saying I'm always right IMO. There are many other posters that get to talk about and other people talk about their accuracy. 

Lastly you will not find one post of me saying you shouldn't like Powell or even me saying Powell isn't good. What you see is me saying there's no way he should be considered the best person on the team AND you see my explanation of why. Once again that's completely different than letting a person just like him. I wouldn't ever tell a person not to like someone, but if people say something like this person is better than that person and I don't agree I will say that AND I'll post why. I think that's also overlooked by many but posting logic behind decisions usually will lead to misconceptions being straightened out. Accuracy is important.

So I hope you also took the time to hear me out as I did you.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So I read that and understand all that you said. Now I ask you to look at my perspective, if you just read maybe 3 or 4 posts up you will see I'm literally replying to a post that was wrote to me. You will also see that I literally say I don't want to keep on with all the indirect passive aggressive stuff and keep doing that back and forth if you want to have a logical discussion I would love to. It's over and done after that right?  I completely understand the passive aggressive nature of some posts/posters.  But couldn't one could argue the passive aggressiveness is not tagging a person you are replying to, but everyone including the poster knows who you are responding to?

So now someone who wasn't in the discussion and someone with a great influence takes a paragraph out and says what was said. Now what is that going to do? Now the people I haven't even talked to is going to come out right? Conversations start up and of course it will be this is Cole 's fault, but really is it?  I'm not saying who is right or wrong, I just wanted to simply bridge the gap as both of you as posters are misunderstood at times and that can be frustrating.

And yes I've explained many times when I say something and people were disrespectful, called me stupid or said I don't know what I'm talking about I'm going to point that out when it's proven that I'm right. Because when I was disrespected nobody spoke then. Like just recently dude told me I was lying about my occupation. Nobody said anything to him, so then can you see why somebody publicly telling me to watch how I talk can be frustrating?   As you may remember I have been called many things on here so I get it.  I have had people send me PM's just so they can curse at me so people wouldn't publicly know they acted this way in real life.  All you can do though is control how you present yourself.  Remember I am also the person who isn't afraid to speak up, even if I am alone in my opinion.  But, at the end of the day, who cares what the posters of this forum think, especially if the respected posters on here know you know your stuff.

And I don't rub it in that I'm always right I point out last times when everybody said I was wrong it turned out I was right. That's completely different than saying I'm always right IMO. There are many other posters that get to talk about and other people talk about their accuracy.  To be fair you can have a tendency to do that a lot though and I think this is where you see people snap and start to argue with you, even if you are right.  Posters may have been conditioned by now to assume you are going to brag about how right you were so they might be on edge even before they ready your post.

Lastly you will not find one post of me saying you shouldn't like Powell or even me saying Powell isn't good. What you see is me saying there's no way he should be considered the best person on the team AND you see my explanation of why. Once again that's completely different than letting a person just like him. I wouldn't ever tell a person not to like someone, but if people say something like this person is better than that person and I don't agree I will say that AND I'll post why. I think that's also overlooked by many but posting logic behind decisions usually will lead to misconceptions being straightened out. Accuracy is important.  Remember I am a stats guy, so I love accuracy.  This is one reason why I get along with you.  Sometimes though statistics have limits and one person may weigh one tangible more over another that isn't like your scale.  For example, you may not think my girl is the prettiest girl you have ever seen because you may prioritize certain aspects that I don't.  Or you may love BMW due to the styling and I think it is one of the worst cars ever made due to poor build quality.

So I hope you also took the time to hear me out as I did you.  Absolutely, happy to do so.

I understand some of the above is critical even though I meant for it not to be, so I will leave it at this:  You know your stuff.  Your knowledge carries its weight of when you say something we already know it most likely is going to be right.  You are in the category of people like Bird, WDE, and JMR.  Just say what you wanted to say and leave it at that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

So I'm replying in order because I can't do all the highlighting and stuff so if you read paragraph by paragraph that's how I'm answering. But before that it just really seems that you can speak for him but you can't really see what I'm saying, do you notice through out how you are explaining what he is saying but you don't see the need to tell him what I'm saying? That's super interesting because there hasn't been a lack of comprehension anywhere on my side. This is really a communication issue, the issue is taking me saying he's not the best player on the team and making that into you can't like him which doesn't have anything to do with me at all. But I digress.... 

The passive aggressive stuff had nothing to do with this paragraph as far what should be discussed. I told you that's why I chose to end it and tell se I don't want to go back and forth anymore. Why I chose to do it doesn't matter the point is the stuff was already ended and then brought up after it was resolved. You can't be closing a gap and completely ignore that. You literally didn't speak on the most important part of all of this.... 

Once again as far as bridging the gap you didn't offer any criticism oor words of wisdom to E......can you see that? Also you still aren't reading my posts and trying to understand what I'm saying or see anything from my perspective. You're still interested in making your points. You see in this paragraph there's anotherbig point you chose not to speak on. The inserting one's self into an argument. You see when you do that you need to be prepared on remaining objective. I didn't ask you to say I was right or wrong. I'm showing you how these things can escalate when a person isn't through. You actually did this yesterday dude called me a race baiter, I addressed what he said and you chose to highlight my post and say dude wasn't talking about race....that was a mistake by you. You didn't read the entire conversation. Now as far as this post you can see how a guy that follows me wanting to fight liking your posts because your post to me had a very strong feel of you agreeing with E and you chastising me as well. But the major point of this paragraph was e pulling out my post after everything was done and actually completely misquoting me. But I understand you're not going to say that because you don't want to offer E. But I haven't spoken an opinion that's a fact.

On this paragraph you made it about you. Yes you may have gotten into arguments but I really doubt that you've experienced a tenth of what I deal with. But that's mootmy point again is when I'm being disrespected nobody cares, nobody says hey guys watch what you say, so yes I'm frustrated when somebody decides to do that to me on top of that when I haven't disrespected anybody I said it's hilarious to amp up a guy to be best on the team from two games against suck teams. Now I can't tell you what to do but IMO it should strike you what did Cole really say by now....But once again that's my opinion but if you are bridging the gap you are looking at both pov's.

So once again I absolutely do not say I'm always right. I say I remember when I was so stupid when I said this......and look at us now turns out I was right. Once again that's completely different than what you keep saying I do. I do not do what you say I do so we'll have to agree to disagree. But as far as THIS situation it really doesn't have anything to do with this because I'm the one actually using facts and logic to point out what I said. It's been other people saying random stuff like Powell is better with the ball or Powell is better here and the other guy is better there. No facts. That's just saying hey I'm right just because I said it. That's not me.

Now this is another very big paragraph that you just glossed overmy perspective. Literally all of this is over can't tell people who to like. You even said in your other post to me is all E is saying if someone wants to like Justin let them. There's no way a person is being a mediator and completely ignore a person misquoting somebody and not say anything about it. This is HUGE. What a mediator should do right here is say well Cole literally never said that. So that means this entire argument we're having is over something that's make believe. Just because you are a fan of the guy doesn't mean when it's said he's not the best, you don't have to take that to mean that you can't like the guy......Once again let's focus on the phrase bridging the gap. That's a big ass gap. Just like I couldn't take you saying he's a good shooter to mean you're saying he's going to the hall of fame, it works both ways. I said a bunch in this paragraph. Oh as far as your metaphor about the car and stuff yeah that works when stuff is close. So if it was Powell had played well against 8 of the 11 games then you could work that angle but there's no way to make disappearing against the best competition but then pulling the numbers against suck teams to mean more. You can't make leading the team against the number 1 team in the country and leading the team against South Alabama to be the same. You can't even make that similar. 

That's all of the paragraphs. I see that you really try to help at times and maybe you'll end up being a moderator or something like that one day so I'm just trying to help you out and give you things to look at. If you going to be neutral then do that all the way, if not be sure to make sure things are done fairly.

• Thanks 1

Good morning Cole,

Please see below in blue:

20 hours ago, cole256 said:

So I'm replying in order because I can't do all the highlighting and stuff so if you read paragraph by paragraph that's how I'm answering.  No worries buddy.  I only do it this way as it is easier to read it instead of going back and forth to see which paragraph relates to which.  As an aside if you quote me, people who may have blocked me can't read what I am saying.  :Sing:  Pretty genius isn't it?

But before that it just really seems that you can speak for him but you can't really see what I'm saying, do you notice through out how you are explaining what he is saying but you don't see the need to tell him what I'm saying?  I can speak up for you and I have before.  I have defended you before and I will do so in the future.  In my first post I tagged ellitor so he could see me saying you were correct in your criticism in him, which in turn is a criticism.  Does that make sense?

Also you still aren't reading my posts and trying to understand what I'm saying or see anything from my perspective. You're still interested in making your points. You see in this paragraph there's another big point you chose not to speak on. The inserting one's self into an argument. You see when you do that you need to be prepared on remaining objective.  I do agree with you that there are posters who will interject and pile onto you.  Is that fair when you are having a conversation?  No.  It doesn't always feel good either.

I didn't ask you to say I was right or wrong. I'm showing you how these things can escalate when a person isn't through. You actually did this yesterday dude called me a race baiter, I addressed what he said and you chose to highlight my post and say dude wasn't talking about race....that was a mistake by you. You didn't read the entire conversation.  I just went back in this entire thread and did not see anyone baiting you with that subject.  Have those posters done just that in the past?  Absolutely.  I remember it was the thread regarding fraternities.  What it may be actually is what I was telling you above where in this case you might be conditioned they are brining up that subject where in this specific case they are not.

But I understand you're not going to say that because you don't want to offer E. But I haven't spoken an opinion that's a fact.  Cole you know I am not like that.  I can't control who likes my posts, or even dislikes them for that matter.

On this paragraph you made it about you. Yes you may have gotten into arguments but I really doubt that you've experienced a tenth of what I deal with.  I did this so we could relate to each other, so that you knew I understood where you came from.  That is all I was doing.  That is why I have reached out and took the time to try and help.

So once again I absolutely do not say I'm always right.  The posters who argue with you might feel that way.  Here is a post from just yesterday:

On 2/25/2021 at 7:43 PM, cole256 said:

A couple of you laughed at me when I said Melo ball was special.....nobody want to acknowledge that now? We not going to talk about it?

Now this is another very big paragraph that you just glossed overmy perspective.  I didn't gloss over anything you said.  You asked me to read it in detail so I did just that.  Even this post I read it last night, and read again this morning to make sure I digested everything.  I really am taking the time to hear you out.  Remember, I am on your side.  I have had your back before, why would I stop now?

I understand this is coming across like you need to be on the defense with me, but you don't.  I don't want it to get to the point where you leave the forum.  We have lost too many good posters and I don't want you to be another casualty.  Please take everything I said with good nature as I meant it that way and I will do the same with you.  Remember you can always reach out to me through PM's too.

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, ellitor said:

You can never be correct in a discussion with someone who already knows it all. This has always been true.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AUGoo said:

So, how do the players view this?

I'm pretty sure they're used to Cole arguing with anyone who disagrees with him. 

🤔

Sorry. Forgot the topic. That's actually a great question and somewhat on topic. Anyone heard anything?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I wish we had more alpha males on the board. I've never seen so many guys who feelings get hurt when you don't agree with them. 

You guys sure clique up quick though 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

I wish we had more alpha males on the board. I've never seen so many guys who feelings get hurt when you don't agree with them. 

You guys sure clique up quick though 😂

So you're saying Alpha males write a reply to a critic as long as 5 chapters of War and Peace? Well. I didn't know that. But seriously/ un-seriously, I was joking then and joking now, and I ain't arguing with you about anything for the next three hours...😅😅😉. War Eagle!

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

So you're saying Alpha males write a reply to a critic as long as 5 chapters of War and Peace? Well. I didn't know that. But seriously/ un-seriously, I was joking then and joking now, and I ain't arguing with you about anything for the next three hours...😅😅😉. War Eagle!

Cool story

9 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

Powell had a virtual visit with Tennessee today. I want the best for him but man, this would make it difficult to feel that way...

They need to check his head again if he has any opportunity to go to UK, and he decides to go to Tenn lol 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

They need to check his head again if he has any opportunity to go to UK, and he decides to go to Tenn lol 

It’s all a show. He’s a lock for Kentucky - he’s just trying to make it not look obvious that they tampered.

• Like 2

Lol, Powell best player on the team.  That is just moronic.  Can’t even believe that there was a debate.  Clearly someone left out the quiet part in that statement.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Lol, Powell best player on the team.  That is just moronic.  Can’t even believe that there was a debate.  Clearly someone left out the quiet part in that statement.  

You aren't reading it in context. In the time frame considered, he was. Cooper wasn't yet eligible and Thor was not yet in high gear. If you want to change "best" to "most important", that would make sense too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1