NCAA moving towards eliminating scholarship limit?

Maverick.AU

• Maverick.AU changed the title to NCAA moving towards eliminating scholarship limit?

28 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

This going to be like Jason Brown on last chance u. 200 players on the roster lol 

• Haha 2

Makes sense to me to have an overall number managed, but allowing flexibility with portal. Removing all constraints is not a good idea .

NIL was the end of college football and the start of semi-pro, so what does it really matter?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They might as well remove the scholarship limits. As has been suggested on this message board for well over a year, if you have players getting hundreds of thousands of dollars a year through the NIL, what do they need with a scholarship? Just pay the top however many you want to pay and use the scholarships for the less talented ones.

Edited by Mikey

Good for the guys who work their butts off on the practice squad who wouldn’t get a scholly otherwise.  Bad for everyone else.  Maybe this is one of those things that will work opposite of how we think it will and teams will have instant depth of guys they wouldn’t normally recruit hard because the limits?  I think the Auburns of the world would be fine but the Troys and Southern Miss’s will be destroyed from collecting the scraps.

Taking away scholarship limits would make portal transfer blow up.  Would be 10x what it currently is

• Like 2

Time to eliminate scholarships altogether.  No limit on players.     You either can get into a school or you can't   If you are so good you need a scholly,  work hard for an  NIL.

Not really an issue as the NCAA won't be the ruling body for football by the end of the decade. 

The major colleges will break away and form a quasi semi pro football org. 

The g5s and other non competitive schools will continue. 

11 hours ago, AUBwins said:

This is why this brother will not get a power 5 job and I am not speaking against him. He is truthful and they don’t like that. Speak on it prime lol.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Grade requirements for athletes will be the next thing to go away as will attending class

Umm, excuse me.... tons of online classes are offered everywhere now.  Who wants to get up and walk to class anymore anyway? Who needs in-person instruction or to wants to actually get to know their professors? lol

:drippingsarcasm7pa:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Umm, excuse me.... tons of online classes are offered everywhere now.  Who wants to get up and walk to class anymore anyway? Who needs in-person instruction or to wants to actually get to know their professors? lol

:drippingsarcasm7pa:

My professor basically told me show up or not, don't pass my exam you don't pass lol

Well, the good news is there's never been a better time to quickly overhaul a roster. If you're a fan of a team whose roster could use an upgrade (you are). 

11 hours ago, cbo said:

Well, the good news is there's never been a better time to quickly overhaul a roster. If you're a fan of a team whose roster could use an upgrade (you are). 

And the bad news is that AU hasn't started to overhaul the roster yet.  :(

• Like 1

Full grown adults that consider themselves to be educators are destroying collegiate sports.

Congress needs to pass the anti trust exemption and sanity needs to be restored.

On 5/12/2022 at 1:01 PM, cbo said:

Would be nice 

• Like 1

Eliminate scholarships all together, set salary caps for teams, and make college ball a true farm league that just happens to have a set eligibility timeline. Also immediately rule that any booster who approaches players not currently on the team as illegal and severely punish the player as well as the booster through a regulatory association with tort law.