I’m Excited

AUght2win

I guess it is perspective. I did not see anything last year to indicate that a "better value set" was in place or that a "positive locker room" made a difference for this team. In fact, one could make the argument that down the stretch the demeanor/attitude of the team deteriorated. But granted a lot of those players are gone.  Also you base a lot  on something intangible. In other words something that can't be really defined or measured. You are "hoping" it is better. There is nothing wrong with that. I probably need to "hope" a little more myself.

As a side note, it would be interesting to see the Myers/Briggs personality traits of the posters on here. I think it would reveal alot of how they post.

Meyers-Briggs is normally only touted by people who are strongly under the effect of Dunning-Kruger. 

You need a new record player. I've been very optimistic when the situation supports it. Sadly, other than hopes and some vague idea that intangibles will somehow turn a sow's ear into a silk purse I see no reason to think this coming season will be a success.

People have trouble detaching posters from their posts and letting sh** go after some time.  You’ve been spot on the last year, but you’re still being judged by your horrible OL takes under Gus.

• Like 1

They are perhaps the best source. Only they know what’s going on in the day to day, behind the scenes during practice. 

People who played the game would understand this. 

So you are insinuating that I did not play the game. I did but only at the high school level. I do remember that we always thought we would win our games (which we should think that but did not win them all). We always thought our scheme was getting better. Sometimes it did and sometimes it did not. My point is, we were always positive but in hindsight not objective. And we should not have been. Auburn's players should always be positive. They should not be objective. It is good to read the articles but I am not sure that you can call them objective views.

• Like 1

I’m not sold on that last part. With the early signing day now, most kids aren’t really waiting around to base their decision on the current season’s results.

Unless we have like a 9 or 10 win season. That might convince some kids CBH is the real deal. But 8 wins or below, I don’t expect to influence much.

Winning always helps recruiting. How much? That’s the question.

Adversity 101

Calling for the DC to be fired on drive 2 of Game 1 bc of a completed 3rd and long.

Looking forward to the season 

You talking to me? 🤣 

Edited by Swamp Eagle

Adversity 101

Calling for the DC to be fired on drive 2 of Game 1 bc of a completed 3rd and long.

Looking forward to the season 

One dropped pass or over throw.

“The coaching staff is in over their heads.” “ We need an OC with real power 5 experience.” 

You talking to me? 🤣 

No. Pretty sure I did that last year at one point. 

• Like 1

“The coaching staff is in over their heads.” “ We need an OC with real power 5 experience.” 

Fire Corn!!!

Wait....can't do that one anymore 

• Haha 1

Last season I expected and predicted 10-2, based on what we had coming back and the assumed "better coaching". My good friend of many years who I'm in competition with over pre-season picks fuged and picked 9&1/2-2&1/2. We both seldom miss by much. Those picks were reasonable pre-season. Once the better coaching part of it didn't materialize AU ended up with a losing season.

So, starting with a losing season last year, pedestrian recruiting and losing more in the portal than was gained I see no reason to expect a better season than last year. The writer's pick of AU as last in the SEC West is reasonable.

It's still too early to make a solid prediction, I won't do that until fall camp is over. But just as an exercise for for you optimists: If the season's 12 games were each to be played today, AU would be favored in the three gimme' games and probably the Missouri game since it's at home. That's four wins. Beyond four would require upsets. What four teams do y'all expect us to upset?

When you quoted 10-2 before the season many very knowledgeable people explained at that time why you were wrong. While coaching errors hurt at times last year there was a definite improvement on our offensive philosophy which you could see with how many catches the TE's caught last year, the return of the slant pass, and greater use of the RB's in the passing attack. What killed us last year was the lack of an O-Line that really allowed Tank and Hunter to take advantage of their abilities.  That O-Line weakness was mentioned multiple times before the season even though they did an adequate job in pass protection.  Add an Injury to your third year starter at QB where we had basically no depth until Harsin pulled Finley in from the Portal. The same coaching staff who found Hunter when we had no RB depth. The same staff who used the Portal for Defensive depth with Harris, Leota, Fair because D-Line had talent but not enough Depth.

I am not going to sugar coat how bad HS recruiting has been so far under Harsin but between HS recruiting and Portal in many ways we are better than what we had when Harsin arrived. We have depth on the D-Line with players that have been added Harris, Leota, Jones, Bragg, and Mba all who saw significant PT last year or will this year.  I believe you will see a huge improvement in the Receiver room with development of existing players, HS recruiting and Portal and three Portal QB's to address both starter and depth at that position. We have good players and depth among DB's again because of HS and Portal recruiting.

The biggest issue which has been the biggest issue for years is the O-Line which was why your 10-2 record was not viable. To be honest that is same issue we have this year. So our hope is having continuity at O-Line coach and a good S&C program that our retreads will be better this year. 

If O-Line can actually do a better job with run blocking this year we will beat your 6-6 or worse prediction with 7-5 or 8-4 being realistic and 9-3 needing a few breaks.  I don't expect a miracle season like 1972 but I think we will see a team that plays hard is competitive and will win some games they were not expected to win before the season starts. 

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You keep posting this take but I don’t understand it. Do you think Auburn should have a lot of patience after 6-7 last year and with the way recruiting is going? 

The leash is short, as it should be. He needs to win 8. But I think he can do it. And I’m excited to see what this team is capable of.

You keep posting this take but I don’t understand it. Do you think Auburn should have a lot of patience after 6-7 last year and with the way recruiting is going? 

The leash is short, as it should be. He needs to win 8. But I think he can do it. And I’m excited to see what this team is capable of.

This wasn’t going to me but come on AUght, you absolutely know his seat shouldn’t been on fire after one season, if you add context in duration. I am glad you are excited but I hope the fellow fan base also doesn’t lose their fervor for Auburn football if and when a 9 win , 10 win or national championship run doesn’t happen. Those early expectations are a major reason why people react so negatively. Realistically as @AuburnNTexaspointed out, last year many knowledgeable people pointed out this would be a rebuild like season. I , as others, brushed it off because we are Auburn. The truth of the matter is we probably got way ahead of ourselves when we were 6-2.

Heck , I remember there were actually post stating how a 2 loss Auburn would get into the playoffs over an undefeated Cincy. That is where we were at as a fanbase. So yes, he should have an extended lease because he is rebuilding a culture, specifically If he is showing improvement on a yearly basis. And improvement doesn’t necessarily mean a 9 or 10 win season. 

• Like 3

This wasn’t going to me but come on AUght, you absolutely know his seat shouldn’t been on fire after one season, if you add context in duration. I am glad you are excited but I hope the fellow fan base also doesn’t lose their fervor for Auburn football if and when a 9 win , 10 win or national championship run doesn’t happen. Those early expectations are a major reason why people react so negatively. Realistically as @AuburnNTexaspointed out, last year many knowledgeable people pointed out this would be a rebuild like season. I , as others, brushed it off because we are Auburn. The truth of the matter is we probably got way ahead of ourselves when we were 6-2.

Heck , I remember there were actually post stating how a 2 loss Auburn would get into the playoffs over an undefeated Cincy. That is where we were at as a fanbase. So yes, he should have an extended lease because he is rebuilding a culture, specifically If he is showing improvement on a yearly basis. And improvement doesn’t necessarily mean a 9 or 10 win season. 

No. It kind of should be on fire. CBH wasn’t asked to do a full rebuild. We had our first losing season last year in a decade, and our worst ranked recruiting class in a decade. Nobody expected that big of a dip to come with a new HC.

With the transfer portal, there’s no excuse for a long rebuild and period of struggle at a place like Auburn. 

It’s year 2 now. Winning 8 games at Auburn should be the floor. If CBH can’t do that in two attempts it’s a huge red flag.

Enough excuses. CBH needs to win.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

No. It kind of should be on fire. CBH wasn’t asked to do a full rebuild. We had our first losing season last year in a decade, and our worst ranked recruiting class in a decade. Nobody expected that big of a dip to come with a new HC.

With the transfer portal, there’s no excuse for a long rebuild and period of struggle at a place like Auburn. 

It’s year 2 now. Winning 8 games at Auburn should be the floor. If CBH can’t do that in two attempts it’s a huge red flag.

I think he was hired to asses whether a full rebuild was need as per culture and he made it clear when he got here that a culture rebuild was needed.

Everything else I agree with regarding needing to win. I don’t necessarily think he seat should be on fire just based on the fact that we need coaching stability.  

Barring a 3-9 disaster coupled with the 2023 recruiting class being outside the top 25 he shouldn’t be fired this year. It would do irreparable damage to the program’s ability to hire coaches. 

• Like 2

You fire a guy (or even consider his seat hot) after one season BARRING a complete meltdown E.G. 3 wins and complete lack of institutional control, you are going to have a hard time find any quality coach coveting this job. His fellow peers knew what he was up against. It is rather illogical to do such a thing. It is not excuses, it is rational consideration. 

I never said anything about a long rebuild. I did say he deserves an extended lease, if he shows progression due to what he is building. This idea that Auburn is above such a criteria is bizarre seeing as prominent other schools have had to endure this as well (E.G Miami, USC, Texas). It can happen to the best of them.

• Like 1

I think he was hired to asses whether a full rebuild was need as per culture and he made it clear when he got here that a culture rebuild was needed.

Everything else I agree with regarding needing to win. I don’t necessarily think he seat should be on fire just based on the fact that we need coaching stability.  

Barring a 3-9 disaster coupled with the 2023 recruiting class being outside the top 25 he shouldn’t be fired this year. It would do irreparable damage to the program’s ability to hire coaches. 

If he can win 7 he should survive. But he needs to win 8 to get things moving in the right direction.

The real story is recruiting. It HAS to pick up soon. If we aren’t winning now, we need to at least be able to point to recruiting and see that wins are on the way. 

Everything is connected. Six or seven wins this season isn’t going to move the needle on convincing recruits CBH can work at auburn. I’m not even sure 8 can, either. But it should douse the fire. If he somehow manages to win 9 (maybe 8 regular season then the bowl), it will feel like Auburn is Auburn again. 

Looking at two mediocre seasons without context - yeah, it’s unreasonable to put a coach on the hot seat with that short of a window. But when you consider how bad recruiting has been, the transfer portal  and what our program does historically, it’s more understandable.

• Like 1

You fire a guy (or even consider his seat hot) after one season BARRING a complete meltdown E.G. 3 wins and complete lack of institutional control, you are going to have a hard time find any quality coach coveting this job. His fellow peers knew what he was up against. It is rather illogical to do such a thing. It is not excuses, it is rational consideration. 

I never said anything about a long rebuild. I did say he deserves an extended lease, if he shows progression due to what he is building. This idea that Auburn is above such a criteria is bizarre seeing as prominent other schools have had to endure this as well (E.G Miami, USC, Texas). It can happen to the best of them.

It’s completely a money game nowadays. A coach just left the stability of blueblood Oklahoma for USC. Fisher left indisputably a historically better program to go to TAMU. Some insiders on the board say we’ll break the bank for the next coach. I’m not worried about any stigma pertaining to us firing a coach after two years. A quality coach will come for the right price.

Like it or not college football is virtually the NFL now. More money. Less leeway. Instant results expected. Whether that’s right or wrong, idk. But it does seem to be part of the trade off of bringing elements like free agency and NIL to college football. 

• Like 1

If he can win 7 he should survive. But he needs to win 8 to get things moving in the right direction.

The real story is recruiting. It HAS to pick up soon. If we aren’t winning now, we need to at least be able to point to recruiting and see that wins are on the way. 

Everything is connected. Six or seven wins this season isn’t going to move the needle on convincing recruits CBH can work at auburn. I’m not even sure 8 can, either. But it should douse the fire. If he somehow manages to win 9 (maybe 8 regular season then the bowl), it will feel like Auburn is Auburn again. 

Looking at two mediocre seasons without context - yeah, it’s unreasonable to put a coach on the hot seat with that short of a window. But when you consider how bad recruiting has been, the transfer portal  and what our program does historically, it’s more understandable.

I 100 % agree with you on the 8 wins. Last year, there was no reason we shouldn't have had at least 8 wins (Bama, Miss state) for sure. Still cannot believe we loss to USCe. But that is also why I have optimism. Even in the games we loss, we always was in it and we mostly shot ourselves in the foot with the exception of the UGA game.

• Like 3

I 100 % agree with you on the 8 wins. Last year, there was no reason we shouldn't have had at least 8 wins (Bama, Miss state) for sure. Still cannot believe we loss to USCe. But that is also why I have optimism. Even in the games we loss, we always was in it and we mostly shot ourselves in the foot with the exception of the UGA game.

That’s why I’m excited. I believe we can win 8 or more. Harsin truly didn’t understand the Iron Bowl rivalry and what it meant. He doesn’t realize that had he not given that game away, EVERYTHING would look drastically different. Fans would love him. The program would have a completely different reputation. Recruiting would have a huge proof of concept that we are the future. But nope.

I still can’t talk about that game. Never seen anything like it.

• Like 2

Those magical years are not realistic nor based on history, do they produce a consistent winner. Quite frankly, I wish the mindset would change from the magical run, to a solidified program. I believe this is what CBH is building and it will be a progress.

:cheers:

Enough of the "special year" & "magical season" we've been there. 

Show me a solid program that can compete with any team in the country and win at a consistent level.  Hell, back to back 9 win seasons would suit me just fine right now.  Back to back 10 win seasons seems like forever since since Auburn accomplished that herculean feat. 

• Like 2

That’s why I’m excited. I believe we can win 8 or more. Harsin truly didn’t understand the Iron Bowl rivalry and what it meant. He doesn’t realize that had he not given that game away, EVERYTHING would look drastically different. Fans would love him. The program would have a completely different reputation. Recruiting would have a huge proof of concept that we are the future. But nope.

I still can’t talk about that game. Never seen anything like it.

Yep winning that Alabama game and throwing them from the playoffs would’ve put him in legendary mode to an extent..

I agree, you just can’t lose those games along with the Mississippi state game which was a complete meltdown. Cannot have that at all.

• Like 1

I guess it is perspective. I did not see anything last year to indicate that a "better value set" was in place or that a "positive locker room" made a difference for this team. In fact, one could make the argument that down the stretch the demeanor/attitude of the team deteriorated. But granted a lot of those players are gone.  Also you base a lot  on something intangible. In other words something that can't be really defined or measured. You are "hoping" it is better. There is nothing wrong with that. I probably need to "hope" a little more myself.

As a side note, it would be interesting to see the Myers/Briggs personality traits of the posters on here. I think it would reveal alot of how they post.

Intangibles have tangible results. The mass exodus of players was due to a different locker room standard and philosophy. I think it’s clear from everything we’ve heard around the program that it’s much more hard nosed and disciplined. 

It’s a trade off. We have a more disciplined and tougher team. No coach would turn that down. But this new way of doing things caused us to lose a lot of talent. We’re about to get to see if the culture change was worth it or not.

It’s completely a money game nowadays. A coach just left the stability of blueblood Oklahoma for USC. Fisher left indisputably a historically better program to go to TAMU. Some insiders on the board say we’ll break the bank for the next coach. I’m not worried about any stigma pertaining to us firing a coach after two years. A quality coach will come for the right price.

Like it or not college football is virtually the NFL now. More money. Less leeway. Instant results expected. Whether that’s right or wrong, idk. But it does seem to be part of the trade off of bringing elements like free agency and NIL to college football. 

I'm happy to know Auburn will have no financial problems paying our millions a year for 2 (TWO) head coaches + Harsin's entire staff to NOT coach at Auburn + paying a new staff upwards of $15million to come on board. 😒

Yep winning that Alabama game and throwing them from the playoffs would’ve put him in legendary mode to an extent..

I agree, you just can’t lose those games along with the Mississippi state game which was a complete meltdown. Cannot have that at all.

Conversely, the bama loss might have been the catalyst to make necessary changes sooner than later and jump started the process of weeding out and toughening up.

• Like 3

Conversely, the bama loss might have been the catalyst to make necessary changes sooner than later and jump started the process of weeding out and toughening up.

This is also true! At the end of the day, I think CBH learned a lot and was willing to grow from it. I believe all the the occurrences of last year will be the catalyst to what CBH wants this program to be heading towards.

• Like 1