I’m Excited

AUght2win

Like a good chunk of us, I’ve been displeased with a lot of what’s happened within the program the last 9 months. And there are still a lot of issues that need fixing.

However, I’m checking all negativity at the door with the arrival of August. I’m excited for this team. I like what I’m seeing and hearing from practice.

Everything decision in life is a cost/reward calculation. The culture rebuild was painful. But now that we’re here, I DO think it’s going to result in our team playing above the sum of their parts. I am definitely excited to see how the buy-in and cohesion translates to the field.

It’s going to be a tough schedule to navigate. But there’s definitely a chance for some signature Auburn magic this year. Can’t wait for Mercer and to see what this team can do.

Here’s to 2022 being a classic Auburn-out-of-Nowhere year. WDE Auburn family. Go get em CBH!

I get like that every year.  Then reality usually sets in.  Hopefully this will be one of those magical years like 1972, 1993, 2004, 2010, or 2013.  I ain’t betting on it but, like always, I could see it happening when I get out my rose colored glasses.  Realistically, I think this is Harsin’s one chance to turn it things around.  If they can have a great year maybe he can get recruiting going in the right direction and make a go of it. Otherwise it ant happening.  

We will see…I’ve seen this episode before . Let me check out the reaction when adversity strikes and it will. 

Adversity 101

Calling for the DC to be fired on drive 2 of Game 1 bc of a completed 3rd and long.

Looking forward to the season 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Eh, we have had unprecedented access to a plethora of player interviews this summer/spring. Not something that occurred at such a high rate under Gus and Chizik.  Hearing what these players have said has me hyped for the season, oh and less coach speak, more scheme speak as well.

Well of course players are going to be extremely positive and they need to be. I don't know if I would consider them an objective source though.

• Facepalm 1

All that’s true but for the first time since maybe 2013 I think there’s a genuine intangible shift among the team. We have a different and better value set than Gus’ teams.

A positive change in locker room dynamic can make an incredible difference.

I guess it is perspective. I did not see anything last year to indicate that a "better value set" was in place or that a "positive locker room" made a difference for this team. In fact, one could make the argument that down the stretch the demeanor/attitude of the team deteriorated. But granted a lot of those players are gone.  Also you base a lot  on something intangible. In other words something that can't be really defined or measured. You are "hoping" it is better. There is nothing wrong with that. I probably need to "hope" a little more myself.

As a side note, it would be interesting to see the Myers/Briggs personality traits of the posters on here. I think it would reveal alot of how they post.

• Like 1

Does it rhyme with Likey or Dikey or Pikey or Nike or Tikey?

You spoke the thing into existence 

I will be shocked at anything better than 6-6. One of us is going to be shocked.

He's dependable.

• Thanks 1

I get like that every year.  Then reality usually sets in.  Hopefully this will be one of those magical years like 1972, 1993, 2004, 2010, or 2013.  I ain’t betting on it but, like always, I could see it happening when I get out my rose colored glasses.  Realistically, I think this is Harsin’s one chance to turn it things around.  If they can have a great year maybe he can get recruiting going in the right direction and make a go of it. Otherwise it ant happening.  

Those magical years are not realistic nor based on history, do they produce a consistent winner. Quite frankly, I wish the mindset would change from the magical run, to a solidified program. I believe this is what CBH is building and it will be a progress.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

He's dependable.

Last season I expected and predicted 10-2, based on what we had coming back and the assumed "better coaching". My good friend of many years who I'm in competition with over pre-season picks fuged and picked 9&1/2-2&1/2. We both seldom miss by much. Those picks were reasonable pre-season. Once the better coaching part of it didn't materialize AU ended up with a losing season.

So, starting with a losing season last year, pedestrian recruiting and losing more in the portal than was gained I see no reason to expect a better season than last year. The writer's pick of AU as last in the SEC West is reasonable.

It's still too early to make a solid prediction, I won't do that until fall camp is over. But just as an exercise for for you optimists: If the season's 12 games were each to be played today, AU would be favored in the three gimme' games and probably the Missouri game since it's at home. That's four wins. Beyond four would require upsets. What four teams do y'all expect us to upset?

• Haha 1

Well of course players are going to be extremely positive and they need to be. I don't know if I would consider them an objective source though.

They are not objective  (nor should they be). They obviously know more than any other group save the coaching staff, and believe in each other (as they should). This is the first ghing necessary to have a successful season. Without it, failure is a given (IMO of course).

Edited by Hank2020
  • Thanks 1

I just can’t wait to read the game threads…

6B5E8347-2E21-4411-B7AC-184E9B0725BF.gif

Are they interesting? I've never posted or read a game thread, except maybe scanned one hours after the game was over. What sort of nerd bangs away on a keyboard during an Auburn athletic event?

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Last season I expected and predicted 10-2, based on what we had coming back and the assumed "better coaching". My good friend of many years who I'm in competition with over pre-season picks fuged and picked 9&1/2-2&1/2. We both seldom miss by much. Those picks were reasonable pre-season. Once the better coaching part of it didn't materialize AU ended up with a losing season.

So, starting with a losing season last year, pedestrian recruiting and losing more in the portal than was gained I see no reason to expect a better season than last year. The writer's pick of AU as last in the SEC West is reasonable.

It's still too early to make a solid prediction, I won't do that until fall camp is over. But just as an exercise for for you optimists: If the season's 12 games were each to be played today, AU would be favored in the three gimme' games and probably the Missouri game since it's at home. That's four wins. Beyond four would require upsets. What four teams do y'all expect us to upset?

Your predictions obviously included the 3 year starting QB. You seriously would not have predicted that outcome with the backup starting the whole season. We had a seriously lacking QB group, which is why Harsin took a chance on TJ. You blame the negative end to the season on lack of progression, but I blame it on key injuries (OP and BN), and seriously lacking QB group. 

Whats the early line on penn st game?

Once the better coaching part of it didn't materialize AU ended up with a losing season.

I would argue we only lost 2 games based on coaching (Penn State offensive game plan, Mississippi State defensive game plan). The other losses were execution (Texas A&M) injuries (South Carolina), and/or a talent gap (UGA, Bama)

I honestly didn't even watch the bowl game. No idea what happened in that loss.

• Like 1

They are perhaps the best source. Only they know what’s going on in the day to day, behind the scenes during practice. 

People who played the game would understand this. 

Edited by Didba
  • Haha 1

He's dependable.

He’s like a broken record 

I saw it at -1 Auburn like two weeks ago

I would argue we only lost 2 games based on coaching (Penn State offensive game plan, Mississippi State defensive game plan). The other losses were execution (Texas A&M) injuries (South Carolina), and/or a talent gap (UGA, Bama)

I honestly didn't even watch the bowl game. No idea what happened in that loss.

Execution isn't coaching? Injuries or not, we should not have been whipped by South Carolina for the second straight time. Where was the much ballyhooed "one for all, pull together, next man up" attitude in the locker room? It was non-existent and that was coaching too. The bowl game loss was simply more of the same.

I have no idea, other than the last thing I saw AU was the underdog.

I just can’t wait to read the game threads…

6B5E8347-2E21-4411-B7AC-184E9B0725BF.gif

I prefer the post game thread so I can be like:

99C24679-52B7-4E79-8963-545354E341BF.gif

• Haha 2

He’s like a broken record 

You need a new record player. I've been very optimistic when the situation supports it. Sadly, other than hopes and some vague idea that intangibles will somehow turn a sow's ear into a silk purse I see no reason to think this coming season will be a success.

• Haha 1

I have no idea, other than the last thing I saw AU was the underdog.

Depends on the betting site. I have seen sites with Auburn at -1 and penn state and -1.5. Not really a big enough disparity to say either team is an underdog. The line will change more as we get closer. 

You need a new record player. I've been very optimistic when the situation supports it. Sadly, other than hopes and some vague idea that intangibles will somehow turn a sow's ear into a silk purse I see no reason to think this coming season will be a success.

No my record player is just fine it’s a nice audiotechna, your record is just scratched, so it keeps repeating the same things. 

but props for sticking with your guns. 

also I legit LOLed at the sow’s ear. Haven’t heard that since my grandpa passed in like 09. 

Edited by Didba

I guess it is perspective. I did not see anything last year to indicate that a "better value set" was in place or that a "positive locker room" made a difference for this team. In fact, one could make the argument that down the stretch the demeanor/attitude of the team deteriorated. But granted a lot of those players are gone.  Also you base a lot  on something intangible. In other words something that can't be really defined or measured. You are "hoping" it is better. There is nothing wrong with that. I probably need to "hope" a little more myself.

As a side note, it would be interesting to see the Myers/Briggs personality traits of the posters on here. I think it would reveal alot of how they post.

Definitely clear you have much higher “belief” in Myers/Briggs than you do this years AU football team. Curious that would be true in that Myers/Briggs is put forth as @generally true not fact. Course it is only CFB we are talking about. lol