How do you stop a quick passing attack

gr82b4au

I know very very little about the defensive side of things, but that game was the first one that demonstrated to me the importance of having linebackers nowadays that can defend the pass. They just made a killing throwing the ball right outside of our LBs relatively limited coverage radiuses. 

I’ve listened to all the guys that do know more and thought more critically about what I saw last game, and I feel like our newer philosophy of giving a ton of space will only exacerbate the problem…

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I know very very little about the defensive side of things, but that game was the first one that demonstrated to me the importance of having linebackers nowadays that can defend the pass. They just made a killing throwing the ball right outside of our LBs relatively limited coverage radiuses. 

I’ve listened to all the guys that do know more and thought more critically about what I saw last game, and I feel like our newer philosophy of giving a ton of space will only exacerbate the problem…

Pappoe's strength is supposed to be as a pass-covering LB I thought, but he was nowhere on Saturday it seemed. Riley seems super rangy, but was banged up. 

9 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

DL have to get their hands up.  LB play assignment football.  DB can’t give 8 yard cushion every play 

you're right they can't, but they have and will continue to do so (inexplicably)

10 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Psu and other teams throw quick slants to negate the pass rush. Last year they were 28/32. 
you are the coach. How do you stop the quick 1 step drop slant?

you super glue the qb's fingers together.making sure you add the thumb is a must! but do not tell anyone i told you........grins.

11 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

3-4 or nickel base. Change up the 4th rusher with blitz packages. Cover 2 with a robber in the middle

This is close to what I'd do.

4-2-5, with press coverage. OP in coverage and Riley in MLB. Bring corners and LB alternating. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

4-2-5, with press coverage. OP in coverage and Riley in MLB. Bring corners and LB alternating. 

Pappoe needs to have a big game. Riley needs to have his official coming out party. This linebacker core was praised all off season. They need to live up to the hype. 

9 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Only reason I would mix in the 3-4 is bc with Clifford you are going to play contain with the Ends to force any runs or break down in plays to the middle of the field. Can still mix in rushing 4 but between the guys we have you can mix that up and make it a chess match. 

11 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

3-4 or nickel base. Change up the 4th rusher with blitz packages. Cover 2 with a robber in the middle

This. Also, LBers and DBs lined up close to the line of scrimmage that then drop into coverage into the throwing lane for the slant 

Press man with hard inside leverage with you corners and NB. Punch with your outside hand on the release. That will force the receiver to work along the LoS.

2 shell or robber from your safeties 

Widen OLB and buzz to H/C upon their key

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Press man with hard inside leverage with you corners and NB. Punch with your outside hand on the release. That will force the receiver to work along the LoS.

This^^^

We cannot let them get inside and kill us with slants all day!!!!

12 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

Change up the 4th rusher with blitz packages.

And this^^^

He’s going to get rid of it quick, so when we blitz, we need to try and confuse the OL and blocking backs to get there quickly!!!

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Would showing outside blitz by a DB that then drops straight back into the slants throwing lane work?

2CBC9469-7348-4E3E-8EC0-E2851129DF6E.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Didba said:

Would showing outside blitz by a DB that then drops straight back into the slants throwing lane work?

2CBC9469-7348-4E3E-8EC0-E2851129DF6E.jpeg

It would, but if I'm that receiver, I'm checking from a slant to a fade/go

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I'm not a football scheme expert by any means, but these short, quick slants magnify the importance of getting space and how important the play in the trenches can be. 

PSU gashed us last year with those quick passes. Linemen need to get their hands up and the LB's have to play physical football. If they're going to get their receivers into the nitty gritty. Make them pay. I don't think either of these teams can finesse each other to death. This will be old school football.

I said up above the LB's need to live up to the hype, but someone Derrick Hall needs to improve his draft stock. If he makes plays, then AU has a shot to win it.

15 minutes ago, alexava said:

Whynahell don’t we go to a quick pass plan on offense if it’s that hard to defend?

Requires a pretty consistently accurate QB to throw in those tight windows 

• Like 1

You have to jam them at the LOS.  CB’s can’t play 10 yards off like they have been playing and have any hope of stopping it.  Get in their face!  

Edited by weagl1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Didba said:

If anyone says blitz they are wrong

Didn't we drop 7 and 8 in coverage last year and their QB had over 80% completion percentage? Not trying to be an a$$. Just curious as to why it would work this time.