The Problem with firing Harsin Is

AURex

The coach is handcuffing this team on the field and in recruiting. It won’t be much worse, but it could get better on both fronts. Players that want nothing to do with Harsin may give us a second look. A guy like Caddy or Zac I’m charge may also Emo up recruiting. And the game plans… Well they can’t be much worse than the are now.

16 minutes ago, Builder said:

Saying we wont win another game this year is not only a knock on Harsin but also to THE PLAYERS

I wouldn’t say it’s a knock on the players if the decision making and scheme isn’t putting them in the best position to win the game. In theory it only takes a handful of plays to determine the outcome of a close game.(For example Missouri and LSU )

Edited by e808
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, e808 said:

I wouldn’t say it’s a knock on the players if the decision making and scheme isn’t putting them in the best position to win the game. In theory it only takes a handful of plays to determine the outcome of a close game.(For example Missouri and LSU )

If thats true (handfull of plays determines outcome) this is another reason to believe interceptions/fumbles are leading cause.

24 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

If thats true (handfull of plays determines outcome) this is another reason to believe interceptions/fumbles are leading cause.

True but not the sole reason. It could be a combination of things or the team just isn’t mentally prepared for some reason. At this point it’s hard to point to one particular thing. The team is like Jekyll and Hyde. Two different teams in one game

4 minutes ago, Barkchevious said:

Maybe a dumb question but who decides who the interim HC will be?  

I would assume the interim AD.

7 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I would assume the interim AD.

Obviously the person has a say in it also. Requires an agreement between the University and interim.

• Like 1

I say fire him, her, and everyone. Let’s fire, fire, fire, and fire some more. Then fire the person who fired everyone for firing everyone, and then fire him to.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1

20 hours ago, cbo said:

Harsin's last FU to Auburn is assembling a staff with no clear, capable interim HC. 

Fire him anyway. Probably won't matter as far as wins and losses. Get creative to try and salvage the recruiting class. Hire the right guy and things can still turn around quickly. 

No flame here. Yes I would like to see 60 minutes of Football. Right now about 25 minutes and the wheels start coming off. But the statement "Hire the right guy and things can still turn around quickly". Hmm.

The U thought they hired the "right guy". Alot of folks on here said Mario Crystal was "the right guy" Want Rioting in the stands.. 

UF thought they hired the "right guy" ... well are they happy. Folks here wanted Billy Napier.. 

Easier said than done. Nebraska, thought they hired the right guy. Did Texas A&M hire the right guy? Slippery Slope.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, tightendoverthemiddle said:

No flame here. Yes I would like to see 60 minutes of Football. Right now about 25 minutes and the wheels start coming off. But the statement "Hire the right guy and things can still turn around quickly". Hmm.

The U thought they hired the "right guy". Alot of folks on here said Mario Crystal was "the right guy" Want Rioting in the stands.. 

UF thought they hired the "right guy" ... well are they happy. Folks here wanted Billy Napier.. 

Easier said than done. Nebraska, thought they hired the right guy. Did Texas A&M hire the right guy? Slippery Slope.

Napier and Florida will be fine imo 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tightendoverthemiddle said:

It’s hard to even bring Napier into this discussion being 5 games in . Especially comparing Florida and Auburns schedules. He already has a big win under his belt

23 hours ago, AURex said:

Everyone seems to be clamoring for immediate firing of Harsin.

The PROBLEM is ....

Who would be the interim? One of the Boise boys? Coordinator Kiesau or Schmedding? Ha! A guy without even coordinator experience like Cadillac? Would a current coordinator even listen to a Cadillac? Chizik? Muschump?

I'm as frustrated with Harsin as everyone else, but to just push him out the door right now ....... Auburn is a total dumpster fire with no easy out. I think the only option is to put him on notice that he will not be retained and go public with that, starting a national search. But if he sux now, just wait for how bad he sux as a lame duck.

Sigh ........

The problem is other teams are doing it and they will be recruiting coaches in the in between time . The longer we wait, the less likely we are to get a good coach. In fact that’s exactly how we wound up having to settle for Harsin in the first place. 🤔 just saying.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2022 at 10:47 PM, clwn said:

Think it's been joked about before, but can we just bump up Bruce Pearl's pay and name him HC? Then go all out on an OC and DC, he'll let them do their thing while concentrating on what he does best lol.

Funny thing you said that, do you remember years ago when Michigan State actually considered moving their basketball coach, Tom Izzo, to be their HC in football?

I also remember Tennessee Vols considered moving Pat Summit over to coach the men's basketball team.

Hear me out on this-

The Great Auburn Heist, how 2 men stole the soul of a family.

It begins-

Allen Green knew that he wasn't going to work out with auburn due to the PTB didn't like him as a hire. So he began to scheme for just the right moment to really screw auburn over for years after he was gone from AU. There was indeed the infamous "hot tub meeting" and during this he and harsin set up "THE PLAN". The details of said plan is a 7 part elaborate scheme and it is as follows.

1st- He would convince Gustavo to tank just enough that the PTB would agree to pay him his gazillion $ buy out but not suck to bad that would make him a risk to hire for another job. 

2nd- Green begins to talk about making an "Outside hire" so that everyone will get excited that we are going after a hot commodity, sure fire winner, up and Comer that just needed a chance at a P5 powerhouse. 

3rd-  Then he would Bring in Harsin and sign him to a contract that would pay him in 1 season what his entire contract at BSU would and include an ironclad buyout that would set him up in the future so he could return to the tater field of Boise and coach out the rest of his days there after securing the bag.

4th- Harsin would come in and preach discipline and toughness to fire up the fan base and systematically begin to chip away at the program from the inside starting with recruiting, and then overflowing into alienation of the players to cause a mass exodus of players from the program.

5th- He starts the season rolling and brings hope and excitement to the program to secure the belief in him and Allen for the "outside" hire. 

6th- once he proved that he could compete he then began phase 2- start throwing the games in the second half so that auburn fans would become incensed and begin calling for his firing. 

7th- Begin phase 3. after limping through the end of the season and sinking the program on the recruiting trail he would have "sources" set the ball rolling on the "investigation" that was suppose to get him out and back to Boise with his bag and allow Green an out to resign and get away with a clean break successfully bringing down the auburn football program from the inside out. 

This was suppose to conclude their plan

However, since the PTB didn't want to appear weak and foolish so they decided to give him another season to give them time to figure out what to do next. So now the Idaho potatoes gang are literally just adding the final touches to sinking this program deeper into the abyss that is mediocrity in recruiting and competition on the field just sticking it to them a little harder for not letting the spuds return home to count their money and retire. 

This is just my theory but it seems as reasonable to believe as Bryan Harsin actually being a head coach for our beloved AUBURN UNIVERSITY. 

What are your thoughts on this? 

• WarTiger changed the title to The Problem with firing Harsin Is

Serious comment: my fear is that if Harsin is canned mid-season, then his "Boise Coaches" might leave with him, leaving behind a skeleton-crew coaching staff.

Tongue-in-cheek comment: If Harsin gets canned mid-season, there is only one coach to consider as the interim: Ed Orgeron.  For all his shortcomings as a head coach, he has been a good interim coach at multiple schools.  When he was fired from LSU, I said they should make him the interim coach until they could find another to replace him.

44 minutes ago, cbo said:

Wouldn't it be nice to have Derek Mason on staff right now? 

good one.  

On 10/4/2022 at 7:06 AM, NWALA Tiger said:

IMO , Sanders is the man. I realize he doesn't have the experience Bruce had, which is important.  But, he is alot like Bruce as far as promoting the program, recruiting,  etc. I think his upside far outweighs his lack of experience.  I bet he would be driven to succeed. Most competitors like him are.

Just asking here, but asking in a serious way, has anyone checked with Prime Time to see if he is even interested in leaving his current position and coming to this salad bowl of a program? I mean we talk about it like we can just pick up the phone and say " hey prime it's your time to come on down to the Auburn version of the  Price is Right Coaching Carousel Game show"  I mean he does have the option to say no. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hay Field 101 said:

Just asking here, but asking in a serious way, has anyone checked with Prime Time to see if he is even interested in leaving his current position and coming to this salad bowl of a program? I mean we talk about it like we can just pick up the phone and say " hey prime it's your time to come on down to the Auburn version of the  Price is Right Coaching Carousel Game show"  I mean he does have the option to say no. 

Good point. I would guess feelers are being sent out. If AU is smart they would be going thru back channels to gage interest

I think Coach Prime will be very careful about taking that next step to the big time. A wrong move could severely damage his career. I for one would be very surprised if Auburn is on his top ten wish list.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, autan said:

I think Coach Prime will be very careful about taking that next step to the big time. A wrong move could severely damage his career. I for one would be very surprised if Auburn is on his top ten wish list.

He might not want to come here but Auburn could definitely play a part in him getting paid 

We should cut ties and move on.  We can find an interim HC.  I know of another big program that lost a big name coach mid year and put a WR coach as interim and they survived. 

On 10/3/2022 at 10:43 PM, AURex said:

Everyone seems to be clamoring for immediate firing of Harsin.

The PROBLEM is ....

Who would be the interim? One of the Boise boys? Coordinator Kiesau or Schmedding? Ha! A guy without even coordinator experience like Cadillac? Would a current coordinator even listen to a Cadillac? Chizik? Muschump?

I'm as frustrated with Harsin as everyone else, but to just push him out the door right now ....... Auburn is a total dumpster fire with no easy out. I think the only option is to put him on notice that he will not be retained and go public with that, starting a national search. But if he sux now, just wait for how bad he sux as a lame duck.

Sigh ........

I think you are right about handling it that way.  I think the guy has enough pride that he will continue to do whatever he can to turn it around this season and we have no one who could be named interim that would be an improvement.  He has his future to think about and it wouldn’t look good to potential employers to just quit on his team in the middle of the season even though he knows he won’t be retained for next year.