Just for giggles:

Mikey

This afternoon your phone rings and you've been named as Auburn's next head football coach. Who on the current staff would you retain?

I'd keep Caddy and Ike Hillyard on offense, Zack Etheridge on defense and find a spot for Trovon Reed somewhere in there. Reed's been working day and night in his off-field position and he's due a promotion.

Yes, I do realize that the new guy will want to name his own staff and may well fire everybody that's here now, but I thought this might be an interesting hypothetical to discuss until we can start griping about the new hire, whoever he is.

• Like 5

I’d keep Caddy no doubt right off the bat. I’d interview Etheridge and Ike but be open to replacing them if I had clear better options. Others would be gone.  

• Like 2

Since personality is such a focus right now, I think you have to Interview all the players individually. Weigh that with what you hear from talking to the support staff; trainers, strength and conditioning, equipment managers, medical, etc. You will get a true picture of the staff's interpersonal skills.

I think it is very difficult to measure the staffs skill development capabilities this year. You would be more successful looking at how they schemed with the talent they had available and in-game adjustments for their small scope of control.

It would be VERY nice to name a coach right now (as you suggested) even if they have to finish out their current obligations. Work with Caddy to establish tone, expectations, etc. Get an inside look the rest of the way and make changes at the end of the season.

The kids have been through enough this year, keep what stability you have left until Dec.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This afternoon your phone rings and you've been named as Auburn's next head football coach. Who on the current staff would you retain?

I'd keep Caddy and Ike Hillyard on offense, Zack Etheridge on defense and find a spot for Trovon Reed somewhere in there. Reed's been working day and night in his off-field position and he's due a promotion.

Yes, I do realize that the new guy will want to name his own staff and may well fire everybody that's here now, but I thought this might be an interesting hypothetical to discuss until we can start griping about the new hire, whoever he is.

I hope those worthy get to keep a position.caddy is best friends with that running back that is showing out and commited to us. i would hate to lose him as he is putting up monster numbers.

• Like 2

Caddy 100%
Etheridge 75% - you hear all these great things but I’m not sure I’ve seen it.  DBs have been good but also really bad this season.  Recruiting hasn’t been terribly impressive but I’m not sure that’s his fault at the moment.

This might sound crazy but Will Friend has a really good record as OC.  Let’s see how the next couple games go with him at the helm of the offense.  I’m definitely replacing him as OL coach but might keep him if the new head coach is an offensive minded guy  as co OC with Caddy. 

Same for Kendall Simmons.  No way he can fix the Oline issues but if they look improved in any form or fashion I keep him unless I can land a Matt Luke level Oline coach.  

Schmed- I like him a hell of a lot more than Mason but bad tackling, lack of Turnovers, and bad LB play has been an issue.  It’s tough with Leota going down and the offensive issues but they lack meanness.

Charles Robinson baffles me.  I though he was another great coach great recruiter coming in.  LB has been easily the worst position all year.  Not his guys but still really bad.  I’m not sure he’s added any LB recruits either.

Whoever keeps running Carlson onto the field for field goals has his office door locks changed and has 10 minutes to get his stuff and get out.

• Like 1

Keep one person for recruiting purposes and that would probably be Cadillac. Otherwise turn the staff over. You have to tear to the ground and start over and that begins with staff.

I’d talk to the players first. Then I’d reinterview everyone. Hard to know how much of our failure was Harsin and how much Is on the individual coaches. The one exception would be Schmedding. The defense collectively regressed under him, and the linebackers that he taught last year were awful this year. For everyone else, I’d at least give them an opportunity to try to stay on staff. My guesses… I’d keep caddy and Hilliard. Possibly would keep Zac. I’d bet everyone else would be gone.

41 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Charles Robinson baffles me.  I though he was another great coach great recruiter coming in.  LB has been easily the worst position all year.  Not his guys but still really bad.  I’m not sure he’s added any LB recruits either.

Regarding Robinson, there was a lot of chatter from UF fans that they we glad to see him go, referencing everything we’ve seen: poor tackling and alignment. 

Caddy would stay and I like the idea of a spot for Trovon Reed. Im neutral on Ike. Impossible to assess WRs and his recruiting with our current mess. I’m mixed on Zac. Solid recruiter but my God the DBs are yellow flag generators. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I think it would be wise of any incoming head coach to give real consideration to Caddy and Zac, especially Caddy.  Without a good reason, firing a legend like Caddy, would be about as popular as telling Bo that he is no longer welcome.  Caddy's RBs produce, my understanding is that he recruits well, and he knows the lay of land.  He should be an obvious asset to any incoming coach, and probably the same with Zac.

It is also why I am not the biggest fan of having legendary alums on staff, as no one wants to be the guy that kicks off his tenure by firing someone like Caddy, regardless of how necessary it may or may not be.

OC~Jeff Grimes
DC~Will Muschamp
Then set down with them and discuss who they recommend for the rest of the staff, OL,DL,LB,DB,RB,ETC...and go from there. 

1 hour ago, cctiger said:

OC~Jeff Grimes
DC~Will Muschamp
Then set down with them and discuss who they recommend for the rest of the staff, OL,DL,LB,DB,RB,ETC...and go from there. 

I keep seeing this. But why would either of them come to AU to be coordinators?

I mean if we are just pulling names out of a hat to see if its possible, then I get it.

1 hour ago, cctiger said:

OC~Jeff Grimes
DC~Kevin Steele

Fixed it for you...NO Muschump! I never want to see him on the Auburn coaching staff again.  

1 hour ago, GAAubie said:

Fixed it for you...NO Muschump! I never want to see him on the Auburn coaching staff again.  

Nope, Still Muschamp. He left the Plains for the opportunity to be a HC. 

1 hour ago, CCTAU said:

I keep seeing this. But why would either of them come to AU to be coordinators?

I mean if we are just pulling names out of a hat to see if its possible, then I get it.

I would take Grimes as HC in a heartbeat over anybody else whose name that has popped up. But the question was/is, if YOU got the call to be the HC who would you choose to retain on your staff? I think that the OC and DC should have some input on that decision.

3 hours ago, CCTAU said:

I thought this was going to be the official Rhett Lashlee thread....

He’ll obviously be the head coach….

(ducks and runs)

• Sad 1