Respect for Marriage Act passes with Bi-partisan support.

AU9377

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Bingo.  If I run a business why is it right for a group to infringe on my beliefs?  Because the government says so?  They feel it is an unjust provision and are fighting it.  What’s your problem with that exactly? 

This is exactly the same argument presented by businesses throughout the south in opposing civil rights for black people during the Jim Crow era.

Edited by homersapien

3 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Would just like to point out how monumentally tone deaf it is to use a story about the oppression of native Americans as a corollary for the oppression of American Christianity.

So you don’t agree that is how the white man removed the Comanche from their lands?  It works in all situations that one side wants to push out another.  Grow up.

• Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

You left out a few words.  My position is government makes laws the gradually make Christianity more irrelevant.

BS.  You would have a theocracy if you could make it happen. 

I've got news for you, the rest of us won't stand for it.  (And you are outnumbered.)

You are to Christianity as the Taliban is to Islam.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

This is exactly the same argument presented by businesses throughout the south during the Jim Crow opposing civil rights for black people.

Did it work and did we just get Jim Crow 2.0, or Jim Eagle or whatever your cult leader tells you?

I believe times have changed, evidently you the cult that are the Democrats do not.

• Facepalm 1

Just now, homersapien said:

BS.  You would have a theocracy if you could make it happen. 

I've got news for you, the rest of us won't stand for it.  (And you are outnumbered.)

You are to Christianity as the Taliban is to Islam.

Ah your typical *let me tell you what you think* :bs:

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

Did it work and did we just get Jim Crow 2.0, or Jim Eagle or whatever your cult leader tells you?

I believe times have changed, evidently you the cult that are the Democrats do not.

Boy, you folks sure are getting prolific with the charge of "cultist", first 78, now you. :rolleyes:   (Such obvious projection is amusing though. BTW, who is my "cult leader"?)

Times haven't changed - only the skin color of the people you don't feel deserve equal rights. 

Otherwise, you are still using (your version) of Christianity as justification.  You have weaponized (your version) of Christianity to serve bigoted hate.  

Jesus will not be pleased.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

So you don’t agree that is how the white man removed the Comanche from their lands?  It works in all situations that one side wants to push out another. 

I absolutely agree white men pushed Comanches off their land. My point is your complete lack of empathy for them in co-opting their plight to defend the religion that pushed them out to begin with. Doesn't exactly take a rocket surgeon to get that. I guess I shouldn't be surprised when this....

11 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Grow up.

....is your only response.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

It's pretty easy to read your motivations, even though you apparently don't understand the actual implications of your own statements.

For example:  "My position is government makes laws the gradually make Christianity more irrelevant."

Anyone that advocates subordinating laws - in this case basic civil rights - to religious beliefs is a theocrat, by definition.

Edited by homersapien

26 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

So you don’t agree that is how the white man removed the Comanche from their lands?  It works in all situations that one side wants to push out another.  Grow up.

And Christians played a central role in that, too. (See "heathens")

Edited by homersapien

Is marriage an immutable characteristic?

No, but marriage is a fundamental right to be afforded to all citizens under the equal protection clause. See Loving v. Virginia.

However, a person's sexual orientation/gender is an immutable characteristic.

It is if you don’t own a shirt.  If you are going argue every possibility I can too.

No, it isn't. Immutable characteristics are codified by law in various civil rights acts. I am not arguing every possibility, just explaining how the law works.  I am not even arguing with you, bud.

Both are forcing a belief that is not held to be true be a majority.  They have to force the masses to be socially constructed to believe they are correct.

I cannot figure out what you are trying to say here, I think there may be a spelling error in one of these or both. Not picking on you. Could you rephrase this or edit it?

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, just like blacks had to do when they wanted to check into a motel with their family late at night.  Just drive on down the road and keep looking.

Would you want a homosexual baker, florist, etc, to be forced to prepare a cake or arrangement with the Bible verses that clearly condemn their lifestyle?

We must disagree.  Good talk

Well don't go try it as a business owner because you will break some laws.

1 hour ago, PUB78 said:

No, not at all. If a baker, florist, artist, wedding planner does not want to accommodate you for a homosexual theme event or item, then they should find one who will. Why try and make them go against their religion beliefs ?

It’s pretty simple.

Because those business owners are breaking multiple laws and normally the couple doesn't know that the business is gonna discriminate until after they try to hire them. At that point, the law is broken and the now pissed off potential customers are full within their rights to enforce the law.

I don't even know why I am trying to explain this to a bigot with his head in the sand.

You left out a few words.  My position is government makes laws the gradually make Christianity more irrelevant.

If some of these Christians weren't bigots towards LGBTQ then the government wouldn't have to make laws.

• Like 2

Are you serious? yeah, the white man just walked towards the natives and didn't do anything else. Trail of Tears anyone?

What? Can someone check on @I_M4_AU ?  I think he may have stroked out.

Edited by Didba

2 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Would you want a homosexual baker, florist, etc, to be forced to prepare a cake or arrangement with the Bible verses that clearly condemn their lifestyle?

Who is going to force them and on what basis? 

• Like 1

I mean technically he is correct. All religions can become extremists. I mean you only have to go back like 200 years give or take to find catholic and protestant extremists murdering each other in England, hell, technically you can go back 60 years to Ireland and see it.

Don't get me started on the crusades either...

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Yes I would and the homosexual baker should smile, bake the cake, and receive payment so that they abide by the law. I honestly bet if you take 10 gay bakers and 10 christian bakers 8/10 of them wouldn't care and just bake the dang cake, man. No one is going to hell for baking a gay person's wedding cake.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Who is going to force them and on what basis? 

Well, a baker can't refuse to serve someone based on religion either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I'm a little hesitate to laugh at this.  :-\

Sorry, if it came out bad, its a running, inside joke in my fraternity back in the day.

If someone sent a garbled text that was indecipherable then it was always a race to be the first person to say "stroked out bro?" but I guess it doesn't land well when some of you are a wee bit up there in the years

• Like 1

I have already stated my piece on how the law works and attempted to enlighten some of you, however, I am ready to crack a cold one, roast a bowl, and fire up OW2/ maybe slap some bass.

As such, I will leave you guys with this: 

At the end of the day, no matter how the court decides this case, if you want to or are happy that Christians will be able to discriminate against LGBTQ people then you are a bigot. The words in the ole Book edited by a bunch of old dudes in Constantinople won't change that fact.

Edited by Didba
  • Thanks 1