2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

No link and No conjecture 

Feel free to believe it or not.

Ok. You said it was per CHF? So I figured u had a link or text message or something.  But it's all 👍 

5 hours ago, DAG said:

All I know is that cultural thing can be tricky...there are a lot of uber talented people who can be abrasive, want their money, etc. 

I don't know bro. I just don't like labeling kids bad apples unless it's clear cut examples. All I see on here is a bunch of heresy conjecture.  This cat played for a university 14 hrs away from AU, yet some on here push the narrative he's a bad team mate.. Maybe he is OR maybe he wants to play with  more proven QB. Neither one has been proven , so one could be just as true as the other IMO

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I don't know bro. I just don't like labeling kids bad apples unless it's clear cut examples. All I see on here is a bunch of heresy conjecture.  This cat played for a university 14 hrs away from AU, yet some on here push the narrative he's a bad team mate.. Maybe he is OR maybe he wants to play with  more proven QB. Neither one has been proven , so one could be just as true as the other IMO

I agree. That is how my post was meant to read.  Way too vague.

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Neither one has been proven , so one could be just as true as the other IMO

It was proven enough to our coaches. The proof is us not taking him. He wanted in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It was proven enough to our coaches. The proof is us not taking him. He wanted in.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Once , again.  Maybe so, maybe not. Kinda hard to believe that our new QB wouldn't push the coaches hard for his top WR to join him

Edited by NWALA Tiger

7 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Once , again.  Maybe so, maybe not. Kinda hard to believe that our new QB wouldn't push the coaches hard for his top WR to join him

Just as you said, maybe our new QB pushed for his old top receiver and maybe he said we don't want him on our team.   The only thing we do know is he not here.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

Just as you said, maybe our new QB pushed for his old top receiver and maybe he said we don't want him on our team.   The only thing we do know is he not here.

Correct. And... gasp.... maybe he just wanted to play at FSU and not AU.I just don't like labeling a kid a bad apple based on heresay. I bet less than 10% of the board knew who Keon Coleman was b4 this portal season. Even less than that watched his games or sideline demeanor etc this past yr. Yet he is labeled as a trouble maker.

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Correct. And... gasp.... maybe he just wanted to play at FSU and not AU.I just don't like labeling a kid a bad apple based on heresay. I bet less than 10% of the board knew who Keon Coleman was b4 this portal season. Even less than that watched his games or sideline demeanor etc this past yr. Yet he is labeled as a trouble maker.

Cultural fit and troublemaker aren’t always the same thing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, toddc said:

Cultural fit and troublemaker aren’t always the same thing.

So, what was this guy's shortcomings.  Why didn't AU want him?

I would agree that it's easy to say and it's sour grapes if it wasn't something that was being talked about before he committed to FSU. I know I saw a couple of times before that this might be an issue. If the culture talk came up afterward then it would be harder to believe but since it was talked about before I don't have any problem believing it's true. 

4 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I would agree that it's easy to say and it's sour grapes if it wasn't something that was being talked about before he committed to FSU. I know I saw a couple of times before that this might be an issue. If the culture talk came up afterward then it would be harder to believe but since it was talked about before I don't have any problem believing it's true. 

If memory serves, FSU was on the running from the jump.

10 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

So, what was this guy's shortcomings.  Why didn't AU want him?

As fans we eventually have a accept that the coaches aren’t going to go public with their information and decisions like this. You have a very knowledgeable and honest insider @bigbird telling us what he knows, or has been told, so that may be as good as it gets. Take it for what it’s worth brother.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, toddc said:

As fans we eventually have a accept that the coaches aren’t going to go public with their information and decisions like this. You have a very knowledgeable and honest insider @bigbird telling us what he knows, or has been told, so that may be as good as it gets. Take it for what it’s worth brother.

Well, I get that. And I get "insiders" are only as good as their sources.  But some of these same " insiders " said Jeff Grimes was a serious candidate for AU. And Hartwell was the next AD. Info can be flawed. I'm not trying to dog anyone on the board out.  But IMO , it's not right to label a kid a "bad apple" or not a good team mate  or a " non take" because of his attitude without giving at least some examples of why they think that is. Did he cut class,  cuss coaches out, say Mel Tuckers breath stink. Info can be divulged without being divulged,  if u catch what I'm saying.

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Well, I get that. And I get "insiders" are only as good as their sources.  But some of these same " insiders " said Jeff Grimes was a serious candidate for AU. And Hartwell was the next AD. Info can be flawed. I'm not trying to dog anyone on the board out.  But IMO , it's not right to label a kid a "bad apple" or not a good team mate  or a " non take" because of his attitude without giving at least some examples of why they think that is. Did he cut class,  cuss coaches out, say Mel Tuckers breath stink. Info can be divulged without being divulged,  if u catch what I'm saying.

There were some things from the Michigan State board that led to a lot of this talk when he and Thorne announced that they were entering the portal, but I suspect the coaches had even more information that caused the hesitation.

• Facepalm 1

@NWALA Tiger  not sure if you’re aware, but bird has legit sources in the program. That’s how he knows a lot of stuff. He doesn’t post conjecture.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, toddc said:

There were some things from the Michigan State board that led to a lot of this talk when he and Thorne announced that they were entering the portal, but I suspect the coaches had even more information that caused the hesitation.

Why the facepalm when I gave you some legit reason why this partially started?

You know what, never mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, toddc said:

Why the facepalm when I gave you some legit reason why this partially started?

You know what, never mind.

I agree. Nevermind 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@NWALA Tiger  not sure if you’re aware, but bird has legit sources in the program. That’s how he knows a lot of stuff. He doesn’t post conjecture.

Not saying he don't.  But he nor anyone else gets everything right because sometimes they are misinformed or for whatever reason. I just don't see the point to place a label on the kid without some sort of example.  I hate to tell u , but most everything posted on this board is here say or conjecture.  Unless these insiders are talking to the recruits, Danny Hugh or on staff coaches directly,  it is the pure def conjecture or here say. 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Link? Not saying it's not true, but haven't seen/heard where Danny Hugh said that

@NWALA Tiger also forgot to mention that coaches cannot publicly talk about players they may have recruited who are not on their team. So if there was a link, it would just be from a reporter or another insider like bird posting the same info. Freeze can’t comment on it publicly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

If he would be a determent to what CHF wants to build, why would not taking him be a disappointment.

It's a disappointment that he would be a detriment, assuming that is indeed the case and not simply more sour grapes stuff.

45 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's a disappointment that he would be a detriment

Again, why would a detriment not coming be a disappointment.  Wouldn't that be a good thing?

• Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

It's a disappointment that he would be a detriment, assuming that is indeed the case and not simply more sour grapes stuff.

I'm with u Mikey. I've asked for one simple example of what kind of detriment he is . No response..  Did he cut class, pout on the sidelines? Why is he a detriment? I know Danny Hugh can't say in public, but surely some of our Insiders can shed some light

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm with u Mikey. I've asked for one simple example of what kind of detriment he is . No response..  Did he cut class, pout on the sidelines? Why is he a detriment? I know Danny Hugh can't say in public, but surely some of our Insiders can shed some light

Maybe he engaged in some prankery before practice....

image.png

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

Maybe he engaged in some prankery before practice....

image.png

Name that movie. A classic 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Love 1