2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

Time to move on from Bo and wish home well. I am sure we will be able to find some depth pieces to make an impact after spring. Not so sure about QB though..

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Time to move on from Bo and wish home well. I am sure we will be able to find some depth pieces to make an impact after spring. Not so sure about QB though..

I think we for sure get 1 and possibly 2 QBs

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think we for sure get 1 and possibly 2 QBs

Yeah I think we will too, just not so sure if they will be starter ready . More so depth than anything 

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah I think we will too, just not so sure if they will be starter ready . More so depth than anything 

Agree. It's heavily dependent on "who" vs any ability by this staff. I'm sure we'll have back channel rumors until 4/30 and names we can't say. 

Portal opens in 6 days. Hopefully an OSU kid is ready to leave. Not sure there is another back up transfer that is worth much. Can't get anyone from the SEC. I'd be shocked if an entrenched starter passed up transfer in the spring and leaves for us. That's just never happened before. Maybe we get lucky

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

They're not going after a backup 

Weve got enough of those.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Back up for us, sure. Back up from another team leaving, most likely. 

I'll be more than happy to see an entrenched starter leaving his school in the spring for the first time and coming to Auburn. It's just highly unlikely, IYAM.

Edited by W.E.D

37 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I am sure they are not but whoever we land probably won't be someone with

1). Significant playing time

2). Consistent starting time

Edited by DAG
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Back up for us, sure. Back up from another team leaving, most likely. 

I'll be more than happy to see an entrenched starter leaving his school in the spring for the first time and coming to Auburn. It's just highly unlikely, IYAM.

Our QB play is so bad a backup QB from a top school could come here and give us an upgrade. It may not be the quality that Freeze wants for the future but will be a bridge into 2024. I just dont see Freeze going into 2023 without a QB who can make accurate throws. Which IMO, none of the current QBs are consistently(or ever) capable of.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CR said:

Our QB play is so bad a backup QB from a top school could come here and give us an upgrade. It may not be the quality that Freeze wants for the future but will be a bridge into 2024. I just dont see Freeze going into 2023 without a QB who can make accurate throws. Which IMO, none of the current QBs are consistently(or ever) capable of.

Right. Probably so. OSU QB competition has been the only one identified (publicly) of a potential legit talent that could transfer. UGA/SEC QBs would have to sit out a year. But would take on if one entered.

I'm sure we'll tamper as much as possible and make contact with every decent P5 QB at a bad school and top G5 QB and try to convince them to come again. We already did that once in January...not sure why we'd expect ones that didn't accept our prior advances

Just now, W.E.D said:

Right. Probably so. OSU QB competition has been the only one identified (publicly) of a potential legit talent that could transfer. UGA/SEC QBs would have to sit out a year. But would take on if one entered.

I'm sure we'll tamper as much as possible and make contact with every decent P5 QB at a bad school and top G5 QB and try to convince them to come again. We already did that once in January...not sure why we'd expect ones that didn't accept our prior advances

I believe when its clear that a QB will be the backup plan at some school after spring, the combination of playing time, Freeze calling plays and NIL opportunities will land us a QB better than what we currently have. And I could be dead wrong, I just think Freeze will convince someone to take the plunge.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CR said:

I believe when its clear that a QB will be the backup plan at some school after spring, the combination of playing time, Freeze calling plays and NIL opportunities will land us a QB better than what we currently have. And I could be dead wrong, I just think Freeze will convince someone to take the plunge.

Right, which is why I said....

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Portal opens in 6 days. Hopefully an OSU kid is ready to leave. Not sure there is another back up transfer that is worth much

Like 90% chance our "hopeful" 2023 starter not be leaving the starting position at his prior school to come here. We're getting someone's back up.

I know Hugh and Co can recruit and understand the need

OSU's spring game is next week.  Just read a few articles and it stated neither QB has pulled ahead. I'd imagine they aren't even going to name a start going into the summer.

I guess our "hope" would be the RSFR wins the job so the Jr transfers.

5 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I agree with your reasoning.  But there could be other things at play too. I doubt he comes back, but I never say never to most everything in life 

I agree with the never say never thought.  There's a chance bama fires Saban and re-hires Mike Dubose or Mike Shula.  Not likely but a there is a chance.😀

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DAG said:

I am sure they are not but whoever we land probably won't be someone with

1). Significant playing time

2). Consistent starting time

One teams backup is another teams starter😃

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AUDynasty said:

Who do you think they could be, if you know?

I'd expect we'll continue to try and convince the Duke and Tulane QBs to leave for better schools. They said no in the winter. Pray hard for McCall.

After that probably 2nd string guys that might be better than our starters. Hopefully they'll be heavy tampering and we'll get a commit shortly after someone enters

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'd expect we'll continue to try and convince the Duke and Tulane QBs to leave for better schools. They said no in the winter. Pray hard for McCall.

After that probably 2nd string guys that might be better than our starters. Hopefully they'll be heavy tampering and we'll get a commit shortly after someone enters

I can’t believe this McCall situation has played out the way it has…

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

I can’t believe this McCall situation has played out the way it has…

So damn unfortunate 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Hopefully an OSU kid is ready to leave.

Who?

20 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Not sure there is another back up transfer that is worth much.

There's at least 1 possible who would be better than what we got.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Who?

Either one of Ohio State's QBs.  It's the most "competitive" QB race between two 5* kids.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

There's at least 1 possible who would be better than what we got.

I'm sure there are better non-starter QBs on virtually every non-SEC team out there.  Who are you thinking of?

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'm sure there are better non-starter QBs on virtually every non-SEC team out there.  Who are you thinking of?

Can't say at the moment but he has started a bit and did well in those games.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Can't say at the moment but he has started a bit and did well in those games.

Why be so secretive when his name is plastered all over countless forums??

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Why be so secretive when his name is plastered all over countless forums??

Then you tell us who it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

Then you tell us who it is.

Go look at On3. You can see all the 1st messages for free. It's the common name