2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

37 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Help me out.  Missing the SEC rules comment you are referencing. 

To transfer within the SEC and be immediately eligible you have to have your name in the portal by Mid February or early March.  Can't find the exact dates.  So if he came here, he would have to sit out a year.  With most kids transferring for playing time, it makes us being a possibility less likely.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Maalik would be a awesome 

I'll take it.  His name was thrown out there by 247, I think.  Wish Ewers could transfer again.  I'd take him too.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'll take it.  His name was thrown out there by 247, I think.  Wish Ewers could transfer again.  I'd take him too.  

I'd take any of the 4 that UTx has

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I'd take any of the 4 that UTx has

Who is the 4th?

Arch isn't going anywhere (yet).  Ewers can't until he graduates.  Murphy seems to be the most talented and people assume he's gonna be 3rd.  See an RB is listed as their #4 

32 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Who is the 4th?

Arch isn't going anywhere (yet).  Ewers can't until he graduates.  Murphy seems to be the most talented and people assume he's gonna be 3rd.  See an RB is listed as their #4 

https://247sports.com/Player/Charles-Wright-46051054/high-school-210877/ 

Just now, W.E.D said:

That poor kid is never going to play a down at Texas.

And is a better passer than anything we've had since 2017

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The lions roar said:

Looks like we offered Jaden Muskrat, offensive tackle for Tulsa.

He's listed at 6'3" so I'm going to assume he' possibly be a guard for us

• Haha 1

Just now, W.E.D said:

He's listed at 6'3" so I'm going to assume he' possibly be a guard for us

Yep

Just now, bigbird said:

And is a better passer than anything we've had since 2017

Unless some magic happens, we're going to be taking guys with limited to no college experience.  Beggars can't be choosers.  Take 2 and pray one can contribute in '23.

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Unless some magic happens, we're going to be taking guys with limited to no college experience.  Beggars can't be choosers.  Take 2 and pray one can contribute in '23.

We'll see 

Just now, bigbird said:

We'll see 

Praying for some magic to happen.  Would like to see brother Hugh pull it out & shock some folks.

• Like 2

Just now, W.E.D said:

Praying for some magic to happen.  Would like to see brother Hugh pull it out & shock some folks.

We all do!

17 minutes ago, The lions roar said:

Some info on him.....he's a Jr with 2 years left.  Dreams of having 4 of 5 new OL from the portal coming true.

According to Pro Football Focus, Muskrat played 848 snaps last season primarily at right tackle, opposite Wade. He allowed just three sacks and four quarterback hits in 2022.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I think once we get a QB here, the angst will go down big time. I am sure the poor lad will be criticized left and right however..

Will not be his fault. Given brother Hugh some benefit of a doubt because he have a success rate of bringing QBs in to perform at a high level.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think once we get a QB here, the angst will go down big time. I am sure the poor lad will be criticized left and right however..

Will not be his fault. Given brother Hugh some benefit of a doubt because he have a success rate of bringing QBs in to perform at a high level.

IDK, we're so desperate I don't see many people being super critical.  Now there might be a few folks making logical criticism and they'll be misconstrued...

Hopefully we can find someone.  We're passing on an awful lot of folks who seem like they could be medium-ish upgrades

• Like 1

Just now, W.E.D said:

IDK, we're so desperate I don't see many people being super critical.  Now there might be a few folks making logical criticism and they'll be misconstrued...

Hopefully we can find someone.  We're passing on an awful lot of folks who seem like they could be medium-ish upgrades

The criticism will be "Why were we so picky when we coould've had A, B, or C?"

My thing is,  evaluate SS, the kid from NC St, etc and they are all wildcards but equally better than probably anything we have right now.

I know SS is third string at Ole Miss right now, but arguably could be better than what we have..I was excited about the NC State kid. Interested to see who we will bring in.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

The criticism will be "Why were we so picky when we coould've had A, B, or C?"

My thing is,  evaluate SS, the kid from NC St, etc and they are all wildcards but equally better than probably anything we have right now.

I know SS is third string at Ole Miss right now, but arguably could be better than what we have..I was excited about the NC State kid. Interested to see who we will bring in.

It'll be interesting to see who all plays and who of the options we passed on turned out good/bad.

There are 4 we undoubtedly wanted.  Lots of differing opinions on the rest.  I don't the SS or the NC St kids are locks that are too much to get worked up over.  If we could luck into a Texas or Ohio State cast off I'll jump on the "trust the coaches" bandwagon (for a bit)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The lions roar said:

Lion or anyone, can you name the song -- Nibblin on bacon, chewing on cheese,   Sam says to Susie, Honey will you be my Mrs?

41 minutes ago, ellitor said:

who?

McCall, sorry.

Still much too quiet about QBs!

Edited by AUwent

3 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Texas fans are saying Maalik Murphey is outplaying Quinn Ewers and Arch Manning in the spring game.  That's going to be an interesting situation. A good QB is very likely to be hitting the transfer portal.  Hope it's Maalik. I'd love to have him. That idiot Sarkisian seems determined to have Ewers as his starter again next year.

Apparently Sarkisian has already said Ewers is the guy. With Manning waiting in the wings I'll be surprised if Murphey stays. Dumber things have happened though. 

• Like 3