2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

21 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Go look at On3. You can see all the 1st messages for free. It's the common name

Why accuse @ellitor of being coy and you’re doing the same thing? Thanks for the info 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Why be so secretive when his name is plastered all over countless forums??

It's not. And I don't have sources often but I do on this one and he reads our boards so I can't say anything til the source says or something goes public with the player.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

Thanks for the info

Welcome.

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

Why accuse @ellitor of being coy and you’re doing the same thing?

I asked who he was talking about. I'm not being coy. His "hints" match exactly to MJM who has his name plastered on all Auburn forums 

Just now, ellitor said:

It's not. And I don't have sources often but I do on this one and he reads our boards so I can't say anything til the source says or something goes public with the player.

lol okay.

20 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Right. Probably so. OSU QB competition has been the only one identified (publicly) of a potential legit talent that could transfer. UGA/SEC QBs would have to sit out a year. But would take on if one entered.

I'm sure we'll tamper as much as possible and make contact with every decent P5 QB at a bad school and top G5 QB and try to convince them to come again. We already did that once in January...not sure why we'd expect ones that didn't accept our prior advances

And somehow we'll be the first school punished for doing so and be made an example of...even though head coaches have already called out other schools for doing so

Edited by AUINSY

2 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

And somehow we'll be the first school punished for doing so and be made an example of...even though head coaches have already called out other schools for doing so

Nah, NCAA doesn't care anymore

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Don't sweat anyone on here, E. You're info stands up much better than most.

• Like 5

On 4/9/2023 at 2:50 PM, CR said:

I believe when its clear that a QB will be the backup plan at some school after spring, the combination of playing time, Freeze calling plays and NIL opportunities will land us a QB better than what we currently have. And I could be dead wrong, I just think Freeze will convince someone to take the plunge.

During the A-Day game saturday, Freeze was being interviewed and said that Coach Montgomery will be calling the plays this year. Hugh said he may come on the radio every so often and call a play if he notices the opposing defense doing something he can take advantage of but Montgomery will be calling the plays this season. Hugh said that he has so much going on with CEO type things in the program that if he had to also be the play caller, it would just be too much for him.

I also read that this will be the first season that Freeze has never called his own plays. 

Edited by TeamZero77

On 4/9/2023 at 6:15 PM, W.E.D said:

I'd expect we'll continue to try and convince the Duke and Tulane QBs to leave for better schools. They said no in the winter. Pray hard for McCall.

After that probably 2nd string guys that might be better than our starters. Hopefully they'll be heavy tampering and we'll get a commit shortly after someone enters

I'm wondering if our current WR room is possibly keeping transfer QB's away from here. It was obvious listening to what Hugh was saying to the SECN guys during A-Day that he isn't impressed with our WR's. He also said that the WR transfer from Cincy, Nick Mardner, is too inconsistent with his catches/drops. 

If a QB has 1 year left to play and he really needs to pop and catch some NFL scouts eyes, I worry that our current WR's might keep him away. Plus, there's some good schools needing a QB just like we are so we've definitely got competition. 

3 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I'm wondering if our current WR room is possibly keeping transfer QB's away from here. It was obvious listening to what Hugh was saying to the SECN guys during A-Day that he isn't impressed with our WR's. He also said that the WR transfer from Cincy, Nick Mardner, is too inconsistent with his catches/drops. 

The catch is to get better WRs we need a better QB.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I also read that this will be the first season that Freeze has never called his own plays. 

This sounds a little more familiar than I am comfortable with. Here's to hoping it works well. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Hmmmm... anyone in particular 

Nope. Just generally excited because we will add some players.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Hmmmm... anyone in particular 

what do you guys think of Chance Nolan from Ore. St.?   https://www.si.com/college/auburn/football/auburn-football-contacts-oregon-state-transfer-quarterback-chance-nolan

or I saw this list on this site earlier today. It sounds like Spencer may be back on the market if he doesn't win the Ole Miss job? or perhaps this is all speculation given that I haven't vetted any of this. 

https://www.si.com/college/auburn/podcasts/auburn-football-is-in-the-market-for-a-transfer-portal-quarterback

Riley Leonard at Duke, Chance Nolan from Oregon State, Casey Thompson of Nebraska, Spencer Sanders of Ole Miss and Evan Prater of Cincinnati are all players to pay attention to once Friday rolls around.

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

what do you guys think of Chance Nolan from Ore. St.?   https://www.si.com/college/auburn/football/auburn-football-contacts-oregon-state-transfer-quarterback-chance-nolan

or I saw this list on this site earlier today. It sounds like Spencer may be back on the market if he doesn't win the Ole Miss job? or perhaps this is all speculation given that I haven't vetted any of this. 

https://www.si.com/college/auburn/podcasts/auburn-football-is-in-the-market-for-a-transfer-portal-quarterback

Riley Leonard at Duke, Chance Nolan from Oregon State, Casey Thompson of Nebraska, Spencer Sanders of Ole Miss and Evan Prater of Cincinnati are all players to pay attention to once Friday rolls around.

Casey Thompson already used his free transfer from Texas so would need a waiver or drop down to FCS.  I hear the NCAA is going to crack down on waiver applications more than in the past.  I don’t know if Spencer Sanders transfer to Ole Miss would count or not since he’s not been there for a season yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HAPvsOA said:

That guy is just speculating.  

I turned it off when he said that Casey Thompson would make Auburn a 10 probably 11 win team 😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dilligas said:

Casey Thompson already used his free transfer from Texas so would need a waiver or drop down to FCS.  

He can transfer again if he graduates from Nebraska 

• Like 3

Casey Thompson isn't exactly good, but I wouldn't be against adding him (or someone like him) and also the kid from NC State

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Casey Thompson isn't exactly good, but I wouldn't be against adding him (or someone like him) and also the kid from NC State

Yeah, the QB room is at the point that adding a "goodish" QB is worth doing. 

If only any of us could have predicted this back during the first transfer period. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, cbo said:

Yeah, the QB room is at the point that adding a "goodish" QB is worth doing. 

If only any of us could have predicted this back during the first transfer period. 

Hoke or JLee have been claiming Hugh has an ace up his sleeve regarding a QB and we're gonna end up with a Nebraska cast off which couldn't beat out a GA Tech transfer and a Pac12 guy who has been in the portal since it was created 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Hoke or JLee have been claiming Hugh has an ace up his sleeve regarding a QB and we're gonna end up with a Nebraska cast off which couldn't beat out a GA Tech transfer and a Pac12 guy who has been in the portal since it was created 🤣

Yikes. I've heard a lot about how we have the 3 greatest QB coaches or whatever. And I personally expected recruiting to be Hugh's strong suit. Something is not adding up. 

Let's hope we get someone decent. 

20 minutes ago, cbo said:

Yikes. I've heard a lot about how we have the 3 greatest QB coaches or whatever. And I personally expected recruiting to be Hugh's strong suit. Something is not adding up. 

Let's hope we get someone decent. 

Apparent Plan

#1 McCall is apparently a moron

#2-4 excuses

#5-8 Tampering didn't work

#9-Max Hugh didn't want 

• Haha 1

So much is going right at other recruiting positions, so it's baffling to see that we couldn't land a transfer QB.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Apparent Plan

#1 McCall is apparently a moron

#2-4 excuses

#5-8 Tampering didn't work

#9-Max Hugh didn't want 

I've seen the excuses, over and over again. Hope those help us on the field next year!