2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

Saw an article on Facebook that it looks like we are going to offer a QB from Old Dominion that has 2 seasons left. Described as someone to mentor Walker White. It said Freeze was familiar with him because he carved up his Liberty defense last season and took them to the wire.

11 minutes ago, SphyNxXx said:

Saw an article on Facebook that it looks like we are going to offer a QB from Old Dominion that has 2 seasons left. Described as someone to mentor Walker White. It said Freeze was familiar with him because he carved up his Liberty defense last season and took them to the wire.

Why do we need some awful FCS QB to mentor WW? We need players not mentors

Also 27/46 56% 297yds ~5ypa 2td/1int isn't exactly carving up 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Why do we need some awful FCS QB to mentor WW? We need players not mentors

No need to jump off the cliff.  Specially when facebook is the source. Facebook is  only 1 step above the National Enquirer 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, toddc said:

Well he's a shoe in to be at Auburn Tiger got to give Jaden Muskrat some Muskrat Love.....song is even sung by an Auburn girl Toni Tennille

I know I know its cheesy but have to admit the coincident.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Apparently Sarkisian has already said Ewers is the guy. With Manning waiting in the wings I'll be surprised if Murphey stays. Dumber things have happened though. 

What I heard as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Still better than what we have now so not a bad depth piece for when TJ leaves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

No need to jump off the cliff.  Specially when facebook is the source. Facebook is  only 1 step above the National Enquirer 

Well, because I don't want it to be true, I naturally have the feeling that there's some smoke there.

Better not be the only QB we take, if so.

Edited by AUwent

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Still better than what we have now so not a bad depth piece for when TJ leaves.

The kid at Old Dominion threw for almost 3,000 yards last year on an absolutely terrible team. Probably an improvement over anyone currently on our roster. 

• Like 5

I live 20 mins from ODU. I’ll go scout him for you guys. Maybe throw him some NIL money. “oh you don’t know if you want to come to Auburn”. Well tell that to my friend…….Mr. Washington!

IMG_1537.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Go get em  tiger 

Edited by Lotto

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Well he's a shoe in to be at Auburn Tiger got to give Jaden Muskrat some Muskrat Love.....song is even sung by an Auburn girl Toni Tennille

I know I know its cheesy but have to admit the coincident.

Good tie in Golf. Toni was from Montgomery and attended Auburn in the 70's before going to California. Did you know she sang backup on Pink Floyd's "The Wall" album?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AUwent said:

Well, because I don't want it to be true, I naturally have the feeling that there's some smoke there.

Better not be the only QB we take, if so.

This is starting to feel like last year when we kept hearing that Harsin was bringing a top tier QB in from the portal. He ended up with Zach Calzada and Robby Ashford. Then when fans were starting to worry that those 2 QB's were all we were getting in the portal, media starts saying those 2 are just depth pieces. Harsin will get his bigtime QB anyday. It never happened and TJ ended up starting at QB1. 

I know that Freeze's staff and Harsin's staff are like night and day difference but damn, this is beginning to feel like the same song, different verse and that our portal QB will just be a Calzada type QB that isn't really an upgrade from what we have. Fingers still crossed though.

• Like 2

And not news but Caleb Etienne is now in the portal. Adding him to our O line haul could (would) attract more attention to AU of fence stradling top tier veteran would-be transfer QBs.

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

And not news but Caleb Etienne is now in the portal. Adding him to our O line haul could (would) attract more attention to AU of fence stradling top tier veteran would-be transfer QBs.

No pun intended, but it'd be huge to land him.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

It is highly frustrating that we haven’t (yet) landed a big name QB from the portal. But I don’t for a moment believe that CHF isn’t shooting his best shot to land one. AU hasn’t exactly demonstrated that we are a great path for a bright NFL future. Cam was a once in a lifetime one and done, Marshall is a career CFL db, Stidham regressed while at AU, and Bo had to leave the program to have his best season. Throw in a poor o line and below average WRs and I wouldn’t be dying to come to AU as an QB either. I hope we land a stud this portal round but it may be that Hugh has to coach up what he’s got until WW gets here. He’s paying the price for several years of poor recruiting and bad roster management. 

mightymouse.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

It is highly frustrating that we haven’t (yet) landed a big name QB from the portal. But I don’t for a moment believe that CHF isn’t shooting his best shot to land one. AU hasn’t exactly demonstrated that we are a great path for a bright NFL future. Cam was a once in a lifetime one and done, Marshall is a career CFL db, Stidham regressed while at AU, and Bo had to leave the program to have his best season. Throw in a poor o line and below average WRs and I wouldn’t be dying to come to AU as an QB either. I hope we land a stud this portal round but it may be that Hugh has to coach up what he’s got until WW gets here. He’s paying the price for several years of poor recruiting and bad roster management. 

About what I was thinking. 

8 hours ago, Ausburn2 said:

Good tie in Golf. Toni was from Montgomery and attended Auburn in the 70's before going to California. Did you know she sang backup on Pink Floyd's "The Wall" album?

I did not........ never would have put Toni and PF together 

It would be nice if we landed a big time QB in the portal but if he’s in the portal then he’s in there for a reason and that guy probably won’t be a savior like people would want him to be. This is Hugh’s first year and now with the portal, fans want that instant gratification even more now. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Seems unlikely we'd take a Sr OT unless we can convince Wade to move inside for 1 year???

This guard in the other hand is getting a lot of interest 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

It would be nice if we landed a big time QB in the portal but if he’s in the portal then he’s in there for a reason and that guy probably won’t be a savior like people would want him to be. This is Hugh’s first year and now with the portal, fans want that instant gratification even more now. 

There are definitely players that are better than our guys available. 

We're really bad at QB right now

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, W.E.D said:

Exactly. Im good if we get an “average” QB.

12 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

What QB is in the portal right now that is better than what we currently have?

• Thanks 1