2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

Just now, AUwent said:

So much is going right at other recruiting positions, so it's baffling to see that we couldn't land a transfer QB.

I heard Hugh doesn't want qbs and refuses to recruit them. It's a mystery...

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Apparent Plan

#1 McCall is apparently a moron

#2-4 excuses

#5-8 Tampering didn't work

#9-Max Hugh didn't want 

Don’t encourage the idiots 

6 minutes ago, AUwent said:

So much is going right at other recruiting positions, so it's baffling to see that we couldn't land a transfer QB.

Agree. We killed it at every spot needed expect QB and Edge. WR was kinda meh

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Don’t encourage the idiots 

Don't get me in trouble 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Agree. We killed it at every spot needed expect QB and Edge. WR was kinda meh

I mean, beating out one of our biggest boogeymen on the recruiting trail the last decade (Dabo) for WW was great, but we're going to need someone for the next couple of years while he gets ready.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Pac12 guy who has been in the portal since it was created 🤣

Doubt the Beaver QB is a serious target.

5 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I mean, beating out one of our biggest boogeymen on the recruiting trail the last decade (Dabo) for WW was great, but we're going to need someone for the next couple of years while he gets ready.

I was just referring to the portal. 24 class will be our best since Gus's top class in like 14 or 15

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AUwent said:

so it's baffling to see that we couldn't land a transfer QB.

@AUwent Ummm. The second window has not opened yet so it's haven't not couldn't. We could have had SS had we wanted but didn't because he's inconsistent & had the shoulder issues.

Why do I have to explain this stuff 500 billion times???

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Don't get me in trouble 

You're not an idiot. You're just stuck in your ways and love to argue sometimes for sheer enjoyment no matter how logical counterpoint is. It does bug me somtimes but I can handle it since you also bring some good points.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You're not an idiot. You're just stuck in your ways and love to argue sometimes for sheer enjoyment no matter how logical counterpoint is. It does bug me somtimes but I can handle it since you also bring some good points.

Dag wasn't calling me an idiot. 

My rankings were extremely accurate. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Apparent Plan

#1 McCall is apparently a moron

#2-4 excuses

#5-8 Tampering didn't work

#9-Max Hugh didn't want 

#1. Facts

2-4 Hartman (Excuse: cant beat ND), Leary (Excuse: would rather have no QB than a top QB recovering from a pec), Mordecai (Excuse: lost). Lost out on LSU transfer

5-8 Couldn't get Duke, Tulane, probably others to enter the portal. Tried hard.

>=9 not up to Hugh's standards 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@AUwent Ummm. The second window has not opened yet so it's haven't not couldn't. We could have had SS had we wanted but didn't because he's inconsistent & had the shoulder issues.

Why do I have to explain this stuff 500 billion times???

Ss?

11 hours ago, cbo said:

Yikes. I've heard a lot about how we have the 3 greatest QB coaches or whatever. And I personally expected recruiting to be Hugh's strong suit. Something is not adding up. 

Let's hope we get someone decent. 

Hugh got his #1 QB for the 24 class very early in the process.   So, I believe he can still recruit QBs!  The winter portal didn’t go as planned, obviously.   We’ll most likely have limited options in the spring, but I’m just going to sit back and see how it plays out.   Now, if those 3 guys turn Robby or Holden into a solid SEC QB by midseason, I would say we definitely have some magical QB coaches!!!😁

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

The winter portal didn’t go as planned, obviously.  

It would have been damn near impossible to hit on literally every position.  We drastically upgraded more positions than we didn't, unfortunately the two spots we didn't are the most important.

I'm kinda surprised we didn't take 1 mediocre QB.

Freeze openly said in a post Aday interview that he could have had a QB in the first window if he had promised the QB1 position but he won’t do that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

I am pulling for Robbie because of his potential but I like this dude Chance Nolan. Auburn has contacted him. 

It makes it even sweeter watching him throwing bombs against H***in’s old school 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

I am pulling for Robbie because of his potential but I like this dude Chance Nolan. Auburn has contacted him. 

Is this the guy that had a really bad concussion last year? I was listening to a podcast that mentioned a guy from Oregon St having health concerns from said concussion.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SphyNxXx said:

Freeze openly said in a post Aday interview that he could have had a QB in the first window if he had promised the QB1 position but he won’t do that.

Either fluff or dependent on QB possibly dumb.  There are certainly QBs that we easily should have promised the starting job to.  McCall, Leary, Mordecia, Hartmand.  100% should been given the red carpet unopposed to QB1.  Duke, Tulane, others we tampered with should have had the same QB1 path.

53 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

His stats aren't great. I'd take him as depth when TJ leaves but not for QB1.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

His stats aren't great. I'd take him as depth when TJ leaves but not for QB1.

Finally, this is the article I've been looking for on which new QBs are considering the portal during this next window. Lot's of names we've discussed here including Vandagriff. 

But any thoughts or intel on Ethan Garbers (UCLA, Redshirt Jr., No. 3 transfer QB in 2021), Maalik Murphy (Texas, Redshirt Fr., No. 9 QB in 2022) or Devin Brown (Ohio State, Redshirt Fr., No. 5 QB in 2022)? 

Maalik sounds like he may be both the best fit scheme wise and the most likely to contribute sooner than later compared to the other two, but this is the 1st time I've learned about any of the 3 of them. And none are a guaranteed starter or 1 year rental, so I'm curious if we'll consider them seriously if they enter the portal.

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2023 at 8:43 PM, ellitor said:

Glad you are letting WED hang around for awhile. He brings interesting/pointed discussions. Thx

• Like 1

Looks like Florida is going to be searching for a QB too. It's gonna really, REALLY hurt if they can get McCall (don't they offer his major and we don't?).

Edited by AUwent